Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Good on the Argentinian players not wanting to be pawns in political manipulation.
I still want them to lose at the WC but respect where it is deserved :)

VanGaalEra

Good. No one should play in Israel. Should be treated the same way South Africa were treated during Apartheid.

Super Hans

It's not even that, they've played plenty of matches in Jerusalem before (including against Argentina) and playing there needn't have any political connotations since the stadium is located firmly in West Jerusalem. What's different here is the current context with the recent US embassy move and the Israeli relocation of the match for obvious propaganda purposes.
Yes. And now there’s article after article on Haaretz about this “fiasco”. They are panicking that this could snowball into a wider sports boycott a la Apartheid South Africa. Regev doesn’t come off well

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yes. And now there’s article after article on Haaretz about this “fiasco”. They are panicking that this could snowball into a wider sports boycott a la Apartheid South Africa. Regev doesn’t come off well
Apparently she has compared this to the Munich massacre. She needs to resign or be fired.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We face a reality that has been going on for 70 years. What we've experienced in the last 72 hours, which is public knowledge, the actions, the threats that have occurred, have led us to decide not to travel. My responsibility as president of the Argentina Football Association [AFA] is to look after the health, physical integrity and security of our delegation. I took this decision. I apologise to the Israeli community. It's nothing against them, nothing against the Jewish community, on the contrary."
http://www.espn.in/football/argenti...tapia-apologises-for-canceled-israel-friendly
For those who were so happy to congratulate the Argentinian team for taking this" political" stand.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I really hope Israel doesn't deter in its ways of dealing with the stone pelters. India could learn a thing from the Israelis.

Edit : I can see so many posters defending this. It's hilarious.

Also, players safety? It's Israel we are talking about. One of the safest countries in the world. The match was cancelled because Argentina doesn't want to get involved in a fight with the Arab countries. It's just a political decision and it's disgusting people are defending it.
Surely you must be Nikunj Saboo?

Dante

Average bang
It sounds like the Israelis tried to politicise football. But Argentina pulled the rug out from under them.

Good on Argentina for keeping politics out of sports.

Runner

That's no Oscars for Argentina this year, I hear they're political.

sammyk123

I live in Israel...

Word here is Argentina pulled out due to threats, particularly against Messi.

It doesn't make sense that they'd arrange a friendly then suddenly decide to back out because of the political situation that hasn't changed in 50 odd years

KM

Skeptical me says this is what they'd say regardless of what their intentions behind the cancellation are. Really hard to believe the security angle. Its Israel ffs.
But why did their conscious took so long to wake? Should've taken this decision when the friendly was transferred.

MDFC Manager

But why did their conscious took so long to wake? Should've taken this decision when the friendly was transferred.
Fair point. Think we'll get the answers if we look into the chronology of when this was scheduled, when it was relocated and when the recent Israeli aggression began and upscaled. We don't know if and how much the Argentine FA was pressurised by their government. Probably be interesting to check what's their governmental stand on Israel in general.

KM

Fair point. Think we'll get the answers if we look into the chronology of when this was scheduled, when it was relocated and when the recent Israeli aggression began and upscaled. We don't know if and how much the Argentine FA was pressurised by their government. Probably be interesting to check what's their governmental stand on Israel in general.
There's a letter going on twitter that the Palestinian FA sent the Argentinian FA on 29th May regarding this but they received no reply.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So basically deny their existence? Why shouldn't they play in Israel? Jews were governing their own country and building Jerusalem 1,500 years before the Spanish even landed in the unknown country of Argentina.

Why the double standard all the time? Why does the world infantalise Palestinians and their supporters? Israel was essentially thrown out of playing in Asia. Did FIFA punish the Arab countries who refused to play Israel? No. They essentially punished Israel by making them play in Europe thus making it pretty much impossible for Israel to reach the world cup.

And now threats of violence against Argentina's players will also be ignored by the media and FIFA because the bigotry of low expectations of Palestinians is so bloody low, they're viewed as toddlers who just can't help themselves,
Don't want to go on about the politics as it's above my pay grade so to speak and brings much pain to the world.

My general point on playing somewhere in europe was just giving the example of Brazil playing Croatia at Anfield for example and plenty more games if you look at other international break when teams like Australia and Nigeria play at London grounds.

MrBest

I despise war and violence. I know this is just a friendly but given recent events I think it is truly respectful for a nation that is tiny in numbers. Argentina may be a massively corrupt country but it should not stop them doing the right thing. I think USA UK were wrong for going to war to Iraq and all these places, but it don't stop them doimg good things in the world, no matter how small. In relativity of life, football is such a tiny thing and if it means so much to the people, then good on argentina for giving them a glimmer of hope and something to feel proud of.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Now he is, 24 hours ago they were willing to murder him, his family, his friends, you, me.
Think they were ready to burn pictures of him.

Mint

Nedved

Shame about no Messi there. Imagine, King of Kings in Jerusalem.
You couldn’t make it up. At last, the arrival of the Messi...ah. Now they will probably have to wait for another 3000 years.

Moriarty

Look at this muppet.
Miri Regev was 7 when Munich happened. I remember how horrified we were when those poor athletes were slaughtered. The world was stunned by an act of wanton, savage murder. To compare the cancellation of a football match to that is ludicrous. She needs to get a sense of proportion.

reelworld

Probably because Israel's PR took a huge hit recently when they killed Razan Al Najjar, the female medic, on the border.

MDFC Manager

Look at this muppet.
And there, in an instant, Argentina's decision was justified. Hard to digest that there's so many sad cnuts like these whose sole purpose in life is to perpetuate hatred and suffering.

frookydinho

Argentina just gained alot more support around the world for the world cup after this.

I'm not sure how the world can so easily turn a blind eye to the atrocities happening in Palestine and act like nothing has happened. I understand you have to tred thin ground because any anti-zionism is always almost turned in anti-Semitism and once your labelled, your labelled.

I'm sure in the future the world will look at what has been happening in places like Gaza and think why did the world stay silent.

Anyway I don't want to upset anyone, especially my United family, just my two cents.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
This thread is now far more about politics, than football. Probably best to move it to the CE forum. At least then the people that want to extol the virtues of the baby killing, apartheid dictatorship, can do so, around more political minded people.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sounds like there's an even amount of blame to be shared on both sides of this and the Argies were quite right to back out if any of their players were receiving threats. The question is why they ever agreed to it in the first place and why the Israelis are freaking out about it with the daft comments about 1972.