Argentina National Team | general thread

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Figured they'd deserve one being one of the most historic sides and our growing connection due to garnacho and martinez.

I know people don't rate copa America compared to the euros too much but I think one could make case of them being up there with the likes of Spain 2008 to 2012 were to go on and win two consecutive copa America's.

2 continental titles, a world cup and a intercontinental super cup is a very impressive run indeed.

I know people don't rate copa America compared to the euros too much but I think one could make case of them being up there with the likes of Spain 2008 to 2012 were to go on and win two consecutive copa America's.

2 continental titles, a world cup and a intercontinental super cup is a very impressive run indeed.

Nah Spain was just completely stacked in every position(Xabi Alonso; David Silva, Fabregas, Fernando Torres etc on the bench) and had genuienly a great manager. They were boring to watch at times but they were so dominant in possesion. Argentina have a hard working team with great chemistry and mentality, but in the WC they threw away leads a bit too often and had to rely on the individual brilliance of quite old versions of Messi and Di Maria upfront to bail them out.

Last edited:
I really used to like their national team from the mid 90s until there the late 2000s and they had some of my favourite players from that era. They were also one of the best teams at bringing their youth players through and I think helped set the template for the Spanish teams that followed.

I think their going down this route again and with young players like Garnacho, Soule and the Carboni’s they have some talent to add to the current building blocks.

Nah Spain was just completely stacked in every position(Xabi Alonso; David Silva, Fabregas, Fernando Torres etc on the bench) and had genuienly a great manager. They were boring to watch at times but they were so dominant in possesion. Argentina have a hard working team with great chemistry and mentality, but in the WC they threw away leads a bit too often and had to rely on the individual brilliance of quite old versions of Messi and Di Maria upfront to bail them out.
I mean on paper that Spanish team is superior but Argentina was more impressive in their world cup victory in my opinion, they played better football and showed more versatility in their copa and world cup runs.

They'd be favourites against most historical sides too if it drags on to the pens.

I mean on paper that Spanish team is superior but Argentina was more impressive in their world cup victory in my opinion, they played better football and showed more versatility in their copa and world cup runs.

They'd be favourites against most historical sides too if it drags on to the pens.

Disagree. Spain strangled sides like Barcelona with addition of all the rest of Spanish talent. Unlike Barca they lacked prime Messi to provide the magic in final 3rd. They were still stacked like hell. Now we have Morata. They had David Villa and Torres. And Mata on the bench too.

yeah it's absolutely impressive and will rightly be remembered as probably the most dominant they have ever been in their history. I still rate that Spanish team higher because I think it's more difficult to win the Euros and it's just a bit more prestigious tournament, but it is close.

Some of their players are getting on a bit- Messi, Di Maria, Otamendi (Still going!!!). Wonder what their next World Cup squad will look like.

Some of their players are getting on a bit- Messi, Di Maria, Otamendi (Still going!!!). Wonder what their next World Cup squad will look like.
Definitely not as good as the last one.

Messi's definitely out and I suppose Di María too. These two have been the heartbeat of Argentina for years and I don't see any suitable replacement at the moment.

Last edited:
Garnacho should be a key player by the World Cup, given he continues to build

It's crazy how many times they went to penalties

Colombia, Holland, France, Ecuador almost in a row.

Definitely not as good as the last one.

Messi's definitely out and I suppose Di María too. These too have been the heartbeat of the Argentina for years and I don't see any suitable replacement at the moment.
You’d think Scaloni would time his departure with theirs (or just Messi’s)

Disagree. Spain strangled sides like Barcelona with addition of all the rest of Spanish talent. Unlike Barca they lacked prime Messi to provide the magic in final 3rd. They were still stacked like hell. Now we have Morata. They had David Villa and Torres. And Mata on the bench too.

Spain didn't played that great in 2010, they were gritty, solid, and fluent for moments but not precisly playing that nice or being that dominated, Villa BTW was outstanding to a level till today it's not properly recognized.
Euro 2012 was indeed really great and an overall way better tournament than the WC.

At the end of the day it's not that much about names when comes to team display specially in WCs, in fact even having names and great displays, you need that extra timing, luck or whatever to obtain the final result.
I've watched so many great teams with great displays having a bad final, or KO match or a good one with no results...KO competitions are quite a rough and emotional affair.

I do agree that Argentina blew away clear advantages in many games in this last WC, but overall the team played great football.

Recently I put a list in the Copa Thread of how many finals we faced in recent times, sometimes we take for granted such stuff and do not actually "enjoy" it in pursue of the final result, it's a bit silly:

Copa América 2004 Final
Olimpiadas 2004 Final
Copa América 2007 Final
Olimpiadas 2008 Final
Mundial 2014 Final
Copa América 2015 Final
Olimpiadas 2018 Final
Copa América 2016 Final
Copa América 2019 Semi final
Copa América 2021 Final
Mundial 2022 Final
Copa America 2024 Final

We have to apreciatte to be time and again fighting for sthg.

Recently I put a list in the Copa Thread of how many finals we faced in recent times, sometimes we take for granted such stuff and do not actually "enjoy" it in pursue of the final result, it's a bit silly:

Copa América 2004 Final
Olimpiadas 2004 Final
Copa América 2007 Final
Olimpiadas 2008 Final
Mundial 2014 Final
Copa América 2015 Final
Olimpiadas 2018 Final
Copa América 2016 Final
Copa América 2019 Semi final
Copa América 2021 Final
Mundial 2022 Final
Copa America 2024 Final

We have to apreciatte to be time and again fighting for sthg.
That run from 2014 to 2019 must have been horrendous to live through , however i doubt you mind it much now.

Ota it's already being replaced, you just don't replace a Messi (even if perhaps we are the ones to have more probabilities historically) and Di Maria it's a very difficult player to replace too, with all his faults, his traits, the fella is quite a phenom.

We are having lots of polivalent modern mids like Macca, Palacios, Enzo if he recovers himself (Zenon, Varela, etc are also on the rising, too many perhaps in that area/role)...but we will have to work in the classic dribblers that we always had, we'll see what happens with that.
We have a couple of CBs for the ages with Cuti and Lisandro, quality subs with Martinez Quarta and such and proper new fellas that time will tell like Anselmino and others.
I'll love to have a number 10, even if those are dead for the world, I love them. We'll see what happens with that but I do not see any proper fullbacks, not that it's our speciality, but would be nice some new fella to the very least in Sorin or Ibarra level, not neccesarily an all timer like Zanetti.

Last edited:
That run from 2014 to 2019 must have been horrendous to live through , however i doubt you mind it much now.

As a NT we are quite a lot like Barca in the sense that we tend to shoot at our own feet too many times, from a strict football sense to a political and administrative way.
That period felt that way. Disorganized as fvck, too many recurrent injuries in vital players, a knee jerk reaction when choosing the new manager, etc etc.
The Copas from such period were great overall, very good football with some not proper finals.

In fact even prior to 2014, the team was flying with Messi, Aguero and Dimaria on top form and they arrived to the WC with all of them wrapped in cotton wool, it's what it is, timing its everything in life, we just make it worse or deal better with it.

It's crazy how many times they went to penalties

Colombia, Holland, France, Ecuador almost in a row.

Mostly our fault, bar Ecuador that was a rough affair since minute one and in that final ball they could have win it.
The other ones we have mostly have us to blame, we just have to suffer it seems.

I've been a fan of Argentina since the mid-90s, and I believe this is by far their best team in terms of combativeness and self-confidence. This, combined with their individual quality, sets them apart from other generations and other national teams. Right now, Argentina seems like a team that never panics, no matter what happens. The players have confidence in each other, and it's amazing to see how, after a lost ball or a mistake, the other teammates immediately attack and try to correct it. If they win the Copa America again this year, it will truly mark a great streak