Argentina NT | WC Discussion

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They have zero attacking threat coming from the left side, which makes it even more baffling why Scaloni didn’t call up Garnacho.

The midfield looks miles better when Enzo plays.

The strongest part of the team is the defence, when they actually play fit defenders (and don’t rush back Romero like they did against Saudi).
It's criminal that he doesn't start Enzo. But he doesn't play a 433. Scaloni always want 3 midfielders and Messi. Means, it's always Martinez + 1.

When Acuna plays he covers the entire left on his own. He has been a beast under Scaloni.

croadyman

Despite the win, I think they’ve looked so poor in both games. I just don’t see them winning the World Cup at all unless they drastically change which I don’t see them doing.

I think there 36 undefeated run has hyped them up too much.

France, Spain and Brazil have looked on a different level compared to Argentina.
Well Spain & Brazil look to be on course for a showdown in the Quarter Finals

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What would be their best line-up? Let's say you're Scaloni, how would you lineup against Poland?

Chief123

Well Spain & Brazil look to be on course for a showdown in the Quarter Finals
And we look to be on a course to get a spanking by France in the quarter finals.

I can’t wait to see Dembele and Mbappe running at Maguire and Stones.:eek:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They have zero attacking threat coming from the left side, which makes it even more baffling why Scaloni didn’t call up Garnacho.

The midfield looks miles better when Enzo plays.

The strongest part of the team is the defence, when they actually play fit defenders (and don’t rush back Romero like they did against Saudi).
I know we are in a Utd forum but come on. On what planet would a kid with just 5 senior appearances get a call up to Argentina?

IFC 1905

What would be their best line-up? Let's say you're Scaloni, how would you lineup against Poland?

Molina - Otamendi - Licha - Acuña
--------------Paredes---------------------
----------Enzo---------De Paul------------------
---Messi---Martinez---Alvarez-----------

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
..Di Maria..Alvarez.. Messi
... Enzo Parades DePaul
Acuña Martinez Otamendi Molina
..................Dibu

Chief123

I think they need to revert to a back 3. They looked better when they switched to that second half.

Martinez LCB and Romero RCB with otamendi in CB. Martinez and Romero are made for those positions.

Acuna and Di Maria wing backs. They need to get Enzo Fernandez in the team to support Messi and Martinez up front.

Redfrog

And we look to be on a course to get a spanking by France in the quarter finals.

Mbappé and Dembélé will get a nice rest next game to be 100% for you guys. :drool:

I am not as confident as I look.

croadyman

Yeah no chance they lose to second place in Argentina's group, too much quality

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It’s partly his fault too. Hasn’t developed much and it isn’t all down to Ronaldo. He’s one of those that you know are fantastic footballers but you can’t pin point a role for them

Kinda like Felix
He's a hybrid sort of 10/right side player with licence to drift in. I'm sure if he ever played for Man. City then Pep would find a way for him to work effectively in front 3.

Must be about 5 years ago he was lighting up that CL quarter final v Barca. Injuries also occurred of course but go back even 2-3 years ago and he was still comfortably one of Serie A best players.

Most frustrating is 2019 Copa America they played Messi and Dybala together in one game and some of the link up was fantastic so it could work but since then Argentina went on long unbeaten run so it was never looked at much since.

Chief123

Mbappé and Dembélé will get a nice rest next game to be 100% for you guys. :drool:

I am not as confident as I look.
Yep they’ll be with their feet up while we’re grinding out a draw against Wales out on our feet.

After seeing how dangerous and well balanced France look, I’d rather finish 2nd in the group now to avoid them and take the other side of the draw! I fear France more than Brazil.

the_cliff

I know one thing. Argentina need to start Enzo and Licha if they want to go far in this tournament.

Paredes/Papu Gomez just don't do it for me.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Needed some wonder goals to advance but if Enzo and Julian can start that would go a long way. Much better second half once the subs came on.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Cancelo peed off because of Messi kicking a Mexico shirt (can be argued accidental).

Idxomer

Poland were rubbish but Argentina played very well today and were up for it from the first minute.

They should at least make the semifinals now.

Zen86

Hard to tell whether that was Argentina being good or Poland being exceptionally bad.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Enzo Fernandez is a top player and should always be starting.

RedDevilMachine

Hard to tell if they are actually good as Poland and Mexico have been trash in this tournament but so far bar the 2nd second against Saudi Arabia, they are playing the same way as how they won the Copa. Very resilient in defense, not conceded a goal in the past 2 games. Good interchange of play between the midfield and forward. They will beat Australia comfortably but the real test comes against Netherlands if they get past USA.

PoTMS

One of Netherlands or Argentina will be in the semi final. Both such poor teams.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
A few questions going forward

Alvarez or Lautaro?
Paredes or Mac Allister?
Lisandro or Otamendi?

I think most of the team is set otherwise. Enzo is a revolution in the midfield.

IFC 1905

I know people are upset here because of Licha getting dropped, but Otamendi is like Kratos and Romero is super solid and agressive aswell. Everyone in Argentina understands Licha is world class and love him but no one thinks it's crazy at this very game to play this pair who by the way won the two titles Argentina had last year and this year.

Floyd_deeps

The 4-3-3 and Alvarez/Enzo inclusion really made Argentina look like a different kettle of fish. Kind of peaking at the right time for me, and will be a handful in the knockouts. Messi looked up for it today, if only he had his shooting boots on.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Alvarez or Lautaro?
Paredes or Mac Allister?
Lisandro or Otamendi?

I think most of the team is set otherwise. Enzo is a revolution in the midfield.
Why not Lisandro over Romero?

Idxomer

Alvarez or Lautaro?
Paredes or Mac Allister?
Lisandro or Otamendi?

Alvarez easily.
Mac Allister but I haven't seen enough of Paredes.
Difficult to say but maybe Otamendi for his experience.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Alvarez or Lautaro?
Paredes or Mac Allister?
Lisandro or Otamendi?

Alvarez, MacAllister and Otamendi

Don't change a winning team, I'd argue against Acuna since he's like AWB getting forward

avgp_1

Off the ball they are looking back at their best, though Romero still doesn't look fit enough. Should have enough for Australia but Lisandro must be brought back IMO.

Enzo looks so good and Alvarez makes clever runs to stretch play. They seem to be finding some fixes to that misfit of an XI from the first 1.5 games

Irwin99

It's undeniably a nice route to the semi-final and they did beat Brazil at the Copa America. I think they'd struggle against Spain though.

As much as i'd like to see Holland do well i'd fancy Argentina all day long if Messi plays like he did tonight.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They have enough quality to win any game, so it will go down to episodes and luck, as usual when four to six teams are competing for one only medal.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's undeniably a nice route to the semi-final and they did beat Brazil at the Copa America. I think they'd struggle against Spain though.

As much as i'd like to see Holland do well i'd fancy Argentina all day long if Messi plays like he did tonight.
I don't think Spain are a team that like to be bullied, so I expect it to be a very dirty game if that was the draw.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Still getting the feeling that their XI isn't optimized yet but also can't really work out a better one. I'd be tempted to play a back 3 with Lisandro, Otamendi and Romero but then they'd probably lose too much in offense.

Just a shame Lisandro probably won't get preference over either Otamendi/Romero.

nygaard

Messi and Ronaldo getting some really pathetic penalties. Also Argentina's bracket :lol: not shady at all..

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
That loss to Saudi might be the best thing that could’ve happened to this team.

It revealed weaknesses and forced them to introduce young new players like Enzo, Julian and Mac into the team.

Grande

Alvarez, MacAllister and Otamendi

Don't change a winning team, I'd argue against Acuna since he's like AWB getting forward
De Paul and Acuna have been terrible mostly. Romero played in a losing team vs Saudi, and Lisandro in a winning team against Mexico. I’d start with Kisandro and then choose between Romero and Otamendi.

SungSam7

Still getting the feeling that their XI isn't optimized yet but also can't really work out a better one. I'd be tempted to play a back 3 with Lisandro, Otamendi and Romero but then they'd probably lose too much in offense.

Just a shame Lisandro probably won't get preference over either Otamendi/Romero.
Otamendi was absolutely useless in a stacked City team, Martinez comes into a United team struggling where the spot light has been on him throughout his time so far and has stood up to the challenge. How does one choose a donkey over a lion. Mental sometimes