Argentina NT | WC Discussion

Seij

I just don't think they have enough quality to go all the way. In fact, I think Netherlands will probably knock them out next round. I may change my mind if Lautaro Martinez stops playing like Lukaku up front, but they just don't have players who can consistently finish the chances created by Messi.

VvD, MdL, FdJ, Gakpo, Depay are likely going to be too much for the Argentines. Even if they beat the Dutch, they have even bigger challenges in Brazil and then France.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I just don't think they have enough quality to go all the way. In fact, I think Netherlands will probably knock them out next round. I may change my mind if Lautaro Martinez stops playing like Lukaku up front, but they just don't have players who can consistently finish the chances created by Messi.

VvD, MdL, FdJ, Gakpo, Depay are likely going to be too much for the Argentines. Even if they beat the Dutch, they have even bigger challenges in Brazil and then France.
This. I’d dearly LOVE to see Messi lift that trophy but the team simply isn’t good enough.

Irwin99

Think they will beat Croatia (will have less of the ball obviously).

Possible champions?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Think they will beat Croatia (will have less of the ball obviously).

Possible champions?
Messi doing it one more time in the final, two goals and an assist. Cementing his status as the best of all time. And do alot more rolling and whining inbetween to piss off redcafe.

Let's go.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
How is it Argentina are able to play at Lusail Stadium 5 out of their 7 games if they go all the way to final. Their last two are in the Lusail (final stadium) too. Is that just luck of the draw or poor planning on Fifa's side to make it fair share on teams and their routes in the competition? That's more than any other team playing in the same ground. No wonder their fans filled 95% of the stadium and we ended up seeing a little pocket of orange fans, they've barely had to move about.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
At this stage, with the GOAT on his personal mission, with a playable SF game against a team coming from two shootouts… it would be extremely disappointing for them not to progress to the final. …

And only, just imagine Messi booked and, in case, missing the final? EDIT: clean state, thanks, folks. :D

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think they make it past Croatia. The rest of their squad is underrated. They have a nutter in goal. And contrary to popular thought, they actually play well going forwards.

Idxomer

How is it Argentina are able to play at Lusail Stadium 5 out of their 7 games if they go all the way to final. Their last two are in the Lusail (final stadium) too. Is that just luck of the draw or poor planning on Fifa's side to make it fair share on teams and their routes in the competition? That's more than any other team playing in the same ground. No wonder their fans filled 95% of the stadium and we ended up seeing a little pocket of orange fans, they've barely had to move about.
No one has to move around in this World Cup.

avgp_1

At this stage, with the GOAT on his personal mission, with a playable SF game against a team coming from two shootouts… it would be extremely disappointing for them not to progress to the final. … And only, just imagine Messi booked and, in case, missing the final?
Clean slate from the Semifinals

Red00012

At this stage, with the GOAT on his personal mission, with a playable SF game against a team coming from two shootouts… it would be extremely disappointing for them not to progress to the final. … And only, just imagine Messi booked and, in case, missing the final?
Bookings don’t count anymore after quarter finals just red cards

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I read pre tournament that the furthest distance between stadiums is something like 50 miles or something so I don't think they have a big advantage there.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I hope they step on all sorts of lego's. Especially Paredes. I hope he steps on one of those technical lego widgets with the sharp point.

congratulations caf Argies.

Samoerai Jack

Best Argentina I've seen. I really like how the coach isn't too proud to learn and change things. Getting Lisandro in, dropping di Maria; I even like that he puts so much faith in Acuna, who while admittedly limited is doing a vital job keeping the team ticking over. Also Messi is in unusual good form for his national team. Still two very difficult games to go.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I read pre tournament that the furthest distance between stadiums is something like 50 miles or something so I don't think they have a big advantage there.
I'm not on about just the travel, more so playing in the same stadium for 5 of their 7 games. Atmosphere, familiar playing field, and huge crowd advantage has played a factor in carrying them a bit. I know they are playing in another country and it's not their home ground, but I've not seen a team assigned the same stadium in their route to the final like they have been that they've essentially turned it into one. I won't be surprised to see the Argies outnumber Croatia and whoever they play in the final aswell.

Sweet Square

Always recommend Jonathan Wilson book - Angels With Dirty Faces.

Today match was a perfect example of the history of Argentina football, the inner battle between trying to play good attacking football and wanting to just shit house for 90 minutes. The dependence on a demi god player.

It’s team that can produce moments of beautiful football that has a compelling storyline but also full of complete arseholes.

Still my favourite team and hope they win it.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Messi bitching about Van Gaal after the match saying he talked too much. Feck it's so sad we didnt send this cnut home for good.

MalaysianRed7

Proper scummy team. The way most of their players and coaching staff behaved throughout and even after the game was detestable. Was so happy when Netherlands equalised. Messi is probably the greatest player of all time but football owes him nothing, especially when he leads a team who behave like this.

I would prefer England to do so as I live here, but whoever it is that does so, I want Argentina to be humbled in this World Cup.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I know their games have been shaky but compared to 2018 their defence seems solid enough. Their attack is weak though, none of the likes of Alvarez, Lautaro or Di Maria have been special. It's all Messi.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Such an unlikeable team, praying that Croatia bounces them out, but if not I'm sure the team that comes out form the other side of the bracket will take care of them. Can't stand them.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I won't be surprised to see the Argies outnumber Croatia and whoever they play in the final aswell.
Are ticket sales stadium based? As in "buy tickets at X stadium regardless of team and stage"?

My guess is there will be more Argies simply because more Argies bought tickets expecting first place in the group and a deep run down a given path which happens to repeat stadium.

If you compare their certainties/expectations on their path with those Australia, Netherlands and Croatia could realistically have it's pretty obviously nothing to do with the specific stadium.

Mike Smalling

Really good bunch. Didn't fall for the dirty tactics of the Netherlands. After Brazil were knocked these are now clearly the team I root for.

El Zoido

If they reach the final, Portugal or France will beat them. Would be surprised if Morocco or England get there, but England for sure would bottle a final vs Argentina.

avgp_1

Controlled the game until De Paul and Romero were taken off. The drop off in quality after the subs were massive. Will have a harder time against a much more technical Croatian line up than what they faced today

eire-red

Such an unlikeable team:

I hope Croatia knock them out in the semis. Tempers will flare in such high pressure situations, but Argentina were the instigators of it tonight.

Imagine reaching a WC semi final, knowing what it takes to get as far as you have, what you've sacrificed, and then doing that to your opponents. Scum.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah, now put the Netherlands players insulting and trying to distract them during the penalties.
Exactly, Dumfries even got booked for it.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Always recommend Jonathan Wilson book - Angels With Dirty Faces.

Today match was a perfect example of the history of Argentina football, the inner battle between trying to play good attacking football and wanting to just shit house for 90 minutes. The dependence on a demi god player.

It’s team that can produce moments of beautiful football that has a compelling storyline but also full of complete arseholes.

Still my favourite team and hope they win it.
Do you recommend the book?

Pocho

Feck Van Gaal horrible old man anti football, feck the dutch subs, hope they enjoy the trip back home. You don’t talk before an important game against your rival. Now suck it.