Argentina NT | WC Discussion

IFC 1905

Players who are getting recovered from their injuries and are expected to be available:

- Paulo Dybala
- Cristian Romero
- Nicolas Tagliafico

Players who are still in doubt and could be replaced

- Nicolas Gonzalez
- Marcos Acuña

Those who are on the list to be incorpored for these two players

- Facundo Medina (CB - RC Lens)
- Angel Correa (MC - Atletico de Madrid)

No one is really mentioning Garnacho at the moment, I personally don't think he can get a call.

Last edited:

IFC 1905

And I will reserve this for some crazy theories

First theory, Diego's left hand right near to a certain flag not being the scottish one.

IFC 1905

The team that will most likely start on tuesday vs Saudi Arabia

Martinez
Molina - Romero - Otamendi- Tagliafico/Acuña
Paredes - De Paul - Mac Allister / Gomez
Messi - Lautaro - Di Maria

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The team that will most likely start on tuesday vs Saudi Arabia

Martinez
Molina - Romero - Otamendi- Tagliafico/Acuña
Paredes - De Paul - Mac Allister / Gomez
Messi - Lautaro - Di Maria
Is there any debate in the country regarding Martinez to start over Otamendi?

wangyu

Messi actually named England as one of the top 3 favorites. :houllier:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Otamendi will probably eventually cost them. But on paper given their run I don't think they'll make a change.

IFC 1905

On twitter there is, but most people also accept that Otamendi is having a great moment both in football and as a character. So the most common sense is that it's a pity that such a player has to be a reserve.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Have a feeling once Spain have a bad showing they will call up Garnacho to the next Spain squad.

IFC 1905

"Two months ago nobody had in mind that both Julian and Lisandro could have many minutes at the WC, but everything has changed and it looks like they will be a constant replacement"

Maybe we end up playing with Licha at some important stages.

Had a good game yesterday, with some great breaking line passes

RedDevilRoshi

On twitter there is, but most people also accept that Otamendi is having a great moment both in football and as a character. So the most common sense is that it's a pity that such a player has to be a reserve.
In that case, what about Otamendi & Martinez as the CB pairing instead?

IFC 1905

In that case, what about Otamendi & Martinez as the CB pairing instead?
That would only happen if Romero isn't recovered. In that case I think that will happen. But with Cuti ready, there's no chance. And this pairing with Cuti and Ota have already many caps and they even won the Copa America title. I don't think you can break that now.

wangyu

What's so perplexing about that?
This is the worst England team since God knows when. Average center backs, average midfield, average goalkeepers. Good backs but half of them are injured. One world class striker in Kane and a promising wide player in Saka.
The way I see it Southgate is a miracle man because he took the absolute maximum out of this squad.

And also this will only get worse in the future. How many Englishmen play week in week out for the big EPL clubs? It is not a healthy situations and I think the recent success of youth teams turns a blind eye to the problem. England has more professional football clubs than any other country in the world, there is a basis for a never ending stream of talent but these guys don’t make minutes.

I find it an incredibly odd statement by Messi. My top 3 is Argentina, Spain and Brazil.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This is the worst England team since God knows when. Average center backs, average midfield, average goalkeepers. Good backs but half of them are injured. One world class striker in Kane and a promising wide player in Saka.
The way I see it Southgate is a miracle man because he took the absolute maximum out of this squad.

And also this will only get worse in the future. How many Englishmen play week in week out for the big EPL clubs?

I find it an incredibly odd statement by Messi. My top 3 is Argentina, Spain and Brazil.
England are 3rd/4th Favs with the bookies. And yes that's worldwide bookies not Dave from Brixton.

It's not just a Messi opinion.

As it happens I don't fancy 'us' toget past the QF's this time round, but it's not a crazy opinion to suggest otherwise.

the_cliff

"Two months ago nobody had in mind that both Julian and Lisandro could have many minutes at the WC, but everything has changed and it looks like they will be a constant replacement"

Yeah I watched the game yesterday, although the opposition wasn't good you can see his obvious quality on the ball.

Is Enzo Fernandez not a starter then ?

This Argentina team is really exciting, I think it's a lot more balanced compared to the 2014 team that reached the final. Even the bench is solid in every department. What are the hopes for this team in Argentina ? Considering the unbeaten run I expect that many are expecting a 3rd world cup ?

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara

As Mexican, I expect this to be our worst World Cup since 1978.

All and each of the Argentina players have like 3 times more quality in one of their legs than any other Mexican. Argentina's options in attack are Messi, Lautaro Martinez, Julián Alvarez, Dybala, the Correas and Di María and Mexico's options are Rogelio Funes Mori who will be delivering mates to Martino in the bench, Jiménez who has been "playing" in wheelchair for about 6 months and who looked awfuel vs Sweden yesterday, and 3 other strikers that combined sum 10 goals in the Mexican League...

Honestly, if we are able to win vs Saudi Arabia it will be best they can do.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
As Mexican, I expect this to be our worst World Cup since 1978.

All and each of the Argentina players have like 3 times more quality in one of their legs than any other Mexican. Argentina's options in attack are Messi, Lautaro Martinez, Julián Alvarez, Dybala, the Correas and Di María and Mexico's options are Rogelio Funes Mori who will be delivering mates to Martino in the bench, Jiménez who has been "playing" in wheelchair for about 6 months and who looked awfuel vs Sweden yesterday, and 3 other strikers that combined sum 10 goals in the Mexican League...

Honestly, if we are able to win vs Saudi Arabia it will be best they can do.
You've landed in a fortunate group as I know the optimism in the country in the side and manager is low. Saudi Arabia look one of the weakest in the comp, and it's a REALLY average Poland side.You have a chance.

Ole'sattheWheel

And also this will only get worse in the future. How many Englishmen play week in week out for the big EPL clubs? It is not a healthy situations and I think the recent success of youth teams turns a blind eye to the problem. England has more professional football clubs than any other country in the world, there is a basis for a never ending stream of talent but these guys don’t make minutes.

Honestly you could say this about Argentina who are in your top 3.

Ole'sattheWheel

I disagree, this Argentina team is a lot more balanced than the one that reached the world cup final.
I’d say Argentina are favourites just to be clear. But the argument that this England team has some average players applies to all the other favourites.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
You've landed in a fortunate group as I know the optimism in the country in the side and manager is low. Saudi Arabia look one of the weakest in the comp, and it's a REALLY average Poland side.You have a chance.
Maybe you're right, it's not a complicated group. Mexico could still move forward with 4 points, but the matter is that if still goes on against France or the remote chance of facing Denmark that's as long as the journey goes.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Maybe you're right, it's not a complicated group. Mexico could still move forward with 4 points, but the matter is that if still goes on against France or the remote chance of facing Denmark that's as long as the journey goes.
Yes I can't see Mexico getting past the round of 16. Shame to see such negativity at the moment as they've had some really fun to watch teams over recent world cups.

avgp_1

My favourites for the Cup. Lo Celso is perhaps the only key player missing, think Romero will be back. Will be interesting to see if Enzo is picked for the Lo Celso position.

IFC 1905

Players who are getting recovered from their injuries and are expected to be available:

- Paulo Dybala
- Cristian Romero
- Nicolas Tagliafico

Players who are still in doubt and could be replaced

- Nicolas Gonzalez
- Marcos Acuña

Those who are on the list to be incorpored for these two players

- Facundo Medina (CB - RC Lens)
- Angel Correa (MC - Atletico de Madrid)

No one is really mentioning Garnacho at the moment, I personally don't think he can get a call.

Confirmed then: Nicolas Gonzalez won't recover in time and will be replaced by Angel Correa (ATM). Nico has done well for Scaloni, it's a little bit sad that this happened.

IFC 1905

Is Correa injured?

Yes. He finished yesterday's game with an injury in the knee it seems. Appartently he didn't recovery well from a previous injury in the same place.

It's confirmed by newspaper Olé, so he's out. They didn't announce who's gonna be the replacement.

IFC 1905

Candidates to replace Correa: Gio Simeone (Napoli), Thiago Almada (Atlanta United), Alejandro Garnacho.

I think Gio Simeone has the advantage here, because of the position he plays and his current form.

Thiago Almada is someone appreciated by Scaloni though, he played the last friendlies and they were impressed with him.

I think Garnacho comes 3rd here, again, don't think he could get called.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Do we want Garnacho in the squad? I’d rather he has a month off, and is fresh and firing for all the footy post the WC.

IFC 1905

Candidates to replace Correa: Gio Simeone (Napoli), Thiago Almada (Atlanta United), Alejandro Garnacho.

I think Gio Simeone has the advantage here, because of the position he plays and his current form.

Thiago Almada is someone appreciated by Scaloni though, he played the last friendlies and they were impressed with him.

I think Garnacho comes 3rd here, again, don't think he could get called.

Official: Thiago Almada joins the squad

izec

A bit sad Argentina have a couple of injuries. Lo Celso, Correa and Gonzalez all good players, that would have started games.

IFC 1905

How has he been doing?
I really, really like him. He's just 21 years old and has been there for ages. He has tons of quality to link up and also score goals or assist. He's been called a couple times, especially in the last tour at the US, and they were impressed with him.

In fact, many expected him to get into the 26 players list.

IFC 1905

A bit sad Argentina have a couple of injuries. Lo Celso, Correa and Gonzalez all good players, that would have started games.

The only starter is Lo Celso. Correa is a bit overrated IMO, while Gonzalez was a regular starter and he's been very good but lately he's been a sub.

TheReligion

Abusive
I really, really like him. He's just 21 years old and has been there for ages. He has tons of quality to link up and also score goals or assist. He's been called a couple times, especially in the last tour at the US, and they were impressed with him.

In fact, many expected him to get into the 26 players list.

I’ll have a watch. I know he was highly rated but wasn’t sure how his move had gone.

I was interested in Barco but he didn’t seem to kick on in the US. They both look interesting talents.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was in Argentina a few weeks ago and nobody could work out who Martínez was.

I ended up wondering myself if I had made up his given name as most brought up Lisandro Paredes instead (I figured, as they vaguely remembered a Lisandro at Roma).

So no, no chance.