Arsenal 2018/19

RedPed

Whatabouter.
There's a Catch 22 if you are not in the CL. You are competing against clubs that are, and therefore have more resources than you. It doesn't apply to the Manchester clubs, but it does apply to Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs.
I don't get what point you are making. Yeah, so Arsenal aren't in the CL. That's not the be all and end all financially for the big clubs. They're still in the top 7 biggest clubs in the world by value and revenue. All I'm saying is that they have the financial clout to spend big in the transfer market if they so choose. I don't get why you are trying to counter that argument?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting game at home to Chelsea in a few weeks.

If Hazard picks up a knock the day before...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We'll overtake them soon, very confident of that.
I can still get them over 70 points tbh, 9-10 wins from their last 17 games.

Man. United getting that points total after the mess Mourinho made of first three months would be pretty miraculous. Still you're back in the mix which is all you can do.

Just dosen't feel a season where top teams will go 5-6 games without a win given how poor the bottom half is this season.

devlinadl

I don't get what point you are making. Yeah, so Arsenal aren't in the CL. That's not the be all and end all financially for the big clubs. They're still in the top 7 biggest clubs in the world by value and revenue. All I'm saying is that they have the financial clout to spend big in the transfer market if they so choose. I don't get why you are trying to counter that argument?
Foesn’t Matter that they are in the top 7. What matters is that they are competing for a top 4 spot in the Premier League, and there are four clubs that can outspend them. Yes they can spend a lot each season, but a lot is is maybe £60-70m net a year on a sustainable basis. Is that going to be enough?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Foesn’t Matter that they are in the top 7. What matters is that they are competing for a top 4 spot in the Premier League, and there are four clubs that can outspend them. Yes they can spend a lot each season, but a lot is is maybe £60-70m net a year on a sustainable basis. Is that going to be enough?
So your league position is now determined by your net spend each year? Never mind! (smh)

Spurs spent zip this season and are currently third, Fulham spent a fortune and are sitting second from bottom. I'm just going to leave it there.

devlinadl

So your league position is now determined by your net spend each year? Never mind! (smh)

Spurs spent zip this season and are currently third, Fulham spent a fortune and are sitting second from bottom. I'm just going to leave it there.
Spurs already had a great team, and didn’t lose anyone. I may be being overly negative, but I see a squad that is comfortably the worst in the top six, with a number of aging players and no marque players that would fetch £50m+ if sold today (PEA would if he was a few years younger), and they have less money to upgrade it than the clubs they are competing against (other than Spurs).

That’s not to say that they can’t get CL football through smarter acquisitions, winning the EL or maybe a great crops kids, but the odds are against them.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

If true, I think it'd be a great signing... But surely that spells the end of Cech? But on the other hand, we know Arsenal aren't going to spend much, so I'm not sure why that money isn't going towards a defender instead (unless the Cahill rumours are true :D).

devlinadl

Cech's contract expires in the summers, so he may well be on his way. Can talk to continental clubs right now.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I guess it's a nice coup at that price to get a replacement in before we move Cech.
Can't link it but the latest Swiss Ramble serie of tweets is depressing/disgusting. Only Premier League club with 0 investment from its owner. He got the second highest money making club of the country and will not risk a cent to try and get more.Literally asleep at the wheel.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Much like Leno hardly a keeper that's going to nail the position down for the next 10 years. He's very calamity prone and yet another that'll need upgrading upon if Arsenal want to win any major honours

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Much like Leno hardly a keeper that's going to nail the position down for the next 10 years. He's very calamity prone and yet another that'll need upgrading upon if Arsenal want to win any major honours
Navas isn't calamity prone.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That's hardly true. Navas is aware of his limitations and strength and will not be a keepet who will go for a cross unless he's really sure about it. His aerial game is a bit of a liablity, but look at his path at Real: even Courtois is not justifying this keeper switch.

On the other hand, Navas he makes tons of miraculous saves who gives your team a lot of points.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
That's hardly true. Navas is aware of his limitations and strength and will not be a keepet who will go for a cross unless he's really sure about it. His aerial game is a bit of a liablity, but look at his path at Real: even Courtois is not justifying this keeper switch.

On the other hand, Navas he makes tons of miraculous saves who gives your team a lot of points.
Aye, Navas is a DDG-level ninja in goal sometimes. Some of the shots he saves are beyond ridiculous, and I consider him highly underrated.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, Navas isn't good enough for a team that wants to win trophies. It's not like he won anything major in his time at Madrid

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Great keeper, huge upgrade on Leno. He‘s a bit small for the PL, but so is Leno.

Will save Arsenal a few points while they chase Top4.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah, Navas isn't good enough for a team that wants to win trophies. It's not like he won anything major in his time at Madrid
Forgot Arsenal had players the calibre of Kroos, Modric, Isco, Ronaldo and Bale

RooneyLegend

What Arsenal fans don't realise is you need money and a high quality coach. Get one of them wrong you will fail. Ask us we know.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Looks like the whole Navas move was nonsense.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
:lol: Kroenke and the Glazers are virtually the same type of owners. Their primary interests are profit and they don't put a cent into the club. Arsenal fans go on about the dividends he takes every season, while United fans gobble up the glazers because they 'spend' money. The money the Glazers have 'spent' is not even their own, it's generated by the club.

The major difference is that the glazers bought a richer club, that's it. They are just as big leeches as Kroenke.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
:lol: Kroenke and the Glazers are virtually the same type of owners. Their primary interests are profit and they don't put a cent into the club. Arsenal fans go on about the dividends he takes every season, while United fans gobble up the glazers because they 'spend' money. The money the Glazers have 'spent' is not even their own, it's generated by the club.

The major difference is that the glazers bought a richer club, that's it. They are just as big leeches as Kroenke.
Exactly, they are very similar owners....just Man Utd is richer than Arsenal. Perhaps Kroenke has even less sentiment for the club. Apparently we do not have much for this transfer window...(and maybe subsequent ones too). There is money there, I guess it's just spoken for. :(

Meanwhile, we are desperately in need of a great CB.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly, they are very similar owners....just Man Utd is richer than Arsenal. Perhaps Kroenke has even less sentiment for the club. Apparently we do not have much for this transfer window...(and maybe subsequent ones too). There is money there, I guess it's just spoken for. :(

Meanwhile, we are desperately in need of a great CB.
There are talks about Benatia. Bit injury-prone, but still a very good CB.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal apparently can't afford Denis Suarez in January... We're talking about a £15m player & one of the biggest clubs in world football :lol:
If you read it, it's not about the transfer fee but the wages hitting the FFP limit and the PL rule of wage increase per year. Which is why a loan would be a good idea. We already had the issue last 2 transfer windows.Ramsey, Cech, Koscielny leaving and Adidas money coming in will help a bit but the club needs external investment. Anything above 0 would be great from Kroenke.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Behind Mike Ashley, Kreonke has to be the most malignant owner. How is it that Arsenal have no money?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Behind Mike Ashley, Kreonke has to be the most malignant owner. How is it that Arsenal have no money?
The Arsenal Twitter brigade aren't happy. How do they expect to compete without spending big?

They need to heavily invest in one or two positions like we did.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal are sitting on a huge pile of cash (180M) but the issue is with the Premier League Short Term Cost Control rules that limit the wagebill increase. We've bought/signed a lot of players recently on high wages while our outgoing business is miserable.
Özil (350k), Aubameyang(220k?), Lacazette (200k), Mkhitaryan (120k?), Kolasinac (140k), Cech (100k), Ramsey (100k), Koscielny (90k), Socratis (90k), Mustafi (90k) , Xhaka (90k) the list goes on...
Last year of Fly Emirates deal + last year of Puma Deal + no income from sales.
This summer we jump from 30 to 60m per season with the switch to Adidas and the renewal of Fly Emirates gives us a bit more too to reach about 45/50m more income per season. This is the income that affect the STCC, not Kroenke's invisible money.

If we sort out the Özil situation (one way or another), get rid of Mikhi, Cech, Ramsey, Mustafi and Koscielny, that's also a big chunk of wages that are freed up. In theory this is going to be our "last" bad transfer window with this squad. It could have been avoided with the Champions League, or getting the 60M from Alexis had we sold him to City, sold Ramsey in the summer and in general not selling our players for a quarter of their value.

The new team in charge of the club's operations can't be judged right now, they're locked in the previous regime lack of performance on the pitch and off the pitch.
It is very gloom at the moment and i hope we can win the FA Cup or get a miracle spot in the top 4 because i can't see us going all the way in the Europa League.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Arsenal are sitting on a huge pile of cash (180M) but the issue is with the Premier League Short Term Cost Control rules that limit the wagebill increase. We've bought/signed a lot of players recently on high wages while our outgoing business is miserable.
Özil (350k), Aubameyang(220k?), Lacazette (200k), Mkhitaryan (120k?), Kolasinac (140k), Cech (100k), Ramsey (100k), Koscielny (90k), Socratis (90k), Mustafi (90k) , Xhaka (90k) the list goes on...
Last year of Fly Emirates deal + last year of Puma Deal + no income from sales.
This summer we jump from 30 to 60m per season with the switch to Adidas and the renewal of Fly Emirates gives us a bit more too to reach about 45/50m more income per season. This is the income that affect the STCC, not Kroenke's invisible money.

If we sort out the Özil situation (one way or another), get rid of Mikhi, Cech, Ramsey, Mustafi and Koscielny, that's also a big chunk of wages that are freed up. In theory this is going to be our "last" bad transfer window with this squad. It could have been avoided with the Champions League, or getting the 60M from Alexis had we sold him to City, sold Ramsey in the summer and in general not selling our players for a quarter of their value.

The new team in charge of the club's operations can't be judged right now, they're locked in the previous regime lack of performance on the pitch and off the pitch.
It is very gloom at the moment and i hope we can win the FA Cup or get a miracle spot in the top 4 because i can't see us going all the way in the Europa League.
No way :lol:

awop

Supports
Arsenal
He's been our best defender with Holding this year and has done more in 4 months than Mustafi in his entire career.It's a fairly standard wages for a top 6 starter.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
We have one problem left moving forward and that is Ozil. The previous administration saw it somehow fitting to bust the wage structure to keep him. I can explain away the other player wages but Ozil really is a 150-200k wage player. It's causing multiple issues, for starters every player coming in is referring to that 350k right now. I think we are stuck with him though to be honest. A little similar situation with Man Utd and Alexis.