Arsenal 2020/21 - General Discussion

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They've looked decent under Arteta. He's added something defensively. They defend in numbers and look like they are throwing themselves in front of everything. Saliba is good as well, I haven't seen Gabriel however. Tierney was always going to be a good guy as long as he's fitm

Obviously results against big teams help build the belief in a squad as well. Aubamayeng looks like he's signing on.

I know it's easy to say it's Arsenal, they'll cock it up somewhere, and I'm not saying they'll challenge for a league title any time soon. It's just a promising time for them I think.

Shark

@NotShark
Still very early days but Arteta seems to be bringing a winning mentality in the bigger occasions that was severely lacking in Wenger' final years. There's many on here that like to snub trophies such as the FA Cup but winning trophies no matter how big or small helps to build unity and confidence going forward. For the time being Arteta has that one over Ole and Lampard.

AshRK

Still very early days but Arteta seems to be bringing a winning mentality in the bigger occasions that was severely lacking in Wenger' final years. There's many on here that like to snub trophies such as the FA Cup but winning trophies no matter how big or small helps to build unity and confidence going forward. For the time being Arteta has that one over Ole and Lampard.
Arteta has got nothing over Ole or lampard. Both Ole and lampard achieved much more important targets by getting the CL. Fa cup was least of the priorities for everyone. Jury is still out on arteta, ultimately he has to get them the CL football.

adamwest

They have looked good for a long while now. Obviously Auba is the key but they are a unit.

GlasgowCeltic

He seems more pragmatic than I expected, guess he learnt as much from Moyes as Pep

Bubz27

What's the general expectations for Arsenal this season? 5th?
I know I'll get shat on here but they'll be battling with us for 4th unless we get 2 extra bodies in our attack. Back up currently is nowhere near good enough for top 6. Obviously our front 3 is much better but we saw towards the end of the season what happens when the same players play every game week in week out.

Kaos

I know I'll get shat on here but they'll be battling with us for 4th unless we get 2 extra bodies in our attack. Back up currently is nowhere near good enough for top 6. Obviously our front 3 is much better but we saw towards the end of the season what happens when the same players play every game week in week out.
Agree completely. They're not far off us, and assuming Woodward bottles it yet again, top 4 won't be a given for us. Spurs also have the benefit of a Mourinho second season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Looking good recently, schooled us in the FA Cup and then won the cup, followed by this. They really just need their attack to click because they look very competent defensively. Atm, I'd say 5th as they don't quite have the depth of the top 4.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Looking good recently, schooled us in the FA Cup and then won the cup, followed by this. They really just need their attack to click because they look very competent defensively. Atm, I'd say 5th as they don't quite have the depth of the top 4.
Need a better midfield to get the best out of the attack.

Amarsdd

Fantastic contribution. Like to add anything of note or not?
Thank you! Arsenal always seem to go into a new season with lots of positivity and high expectation from both their fans and opposition fans hyping (maybe slightly) them up. I expect that sort of talk here as well.

Paul_Scholes18

Arteta looks to be the real deal more than Ole and Lampard. Need a better midfield and some help for Auba in attack and they can aim high in the league too.

Bubz27

Thank you! Arsenal always seem to go into a new season with lots of positivity and high expectation from both their fans and opposition fans hyping (maybe slightly) them up. I expect that sort of talk here as well.
Their fans yes, normally opposition fans always laugh them off as nothing more than a joke. Things feel a little different this year.

Bwuk

Arteta is looking good. He’s developed a style of play into Arsenal.

Amarsdd

Their fans yes, normally opposition fans always laugh them off as nothing more than a joke. Things feel a little different this year.
Yes at all the other times except for just before the start of the season. Just look at this thread and even similar threads before the start of last season.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
From the handful of times I've seen them under the reign of Arteta, I've liked their playing out from the back. Despite predominantly being young, the players seem to have the personality and confidence to take those risks.

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

With Saka, they have a young player who has great decision making from what I've seen. He's already played as a marauding full back camping in the third and fourth phase of attack, left winger, and as a right sided attacker. His positional fluidity is an asset to the side, as he hasn't looked out of place when carrying out different roles. Should Niles stay, I think the use of an inverted full back will continue to pay dividends for them. Should he stay, it will be interesting to see how he compares with Kyle Walker, and Ayling in that role. The dynamic on the left is quite interesting. Kolasinac has experience playing as a full back which makes him a decent choice as the split left sided CB, Niles' experience in midfield aides him well as an inverted full back, entering into the half spaces and facilitating, Aubameyang another multifunctional player that can operate as both a left inside forward, and a more centralized role.

The Europa League battle between Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs, and I suspect Leeds might very well be interesting.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Arteta looks to be the real deal more than Ole and Lampard. Need a better midfield and some help for Auba in attack and they can aim high in the league too.
Only so much he can do with the squad he has, unlike those two he is yet to be backed in the transfer market.

He has made us defensively more solid but the reason we can't play more expansive football and still look solid defensively is down to the players we have. We look better against the top sides as we can sit back and hit on the counter, against lesser sides when we have to be on the front foot our lack of attacking options show.

What's the general expectations for Arsenal this season? 5th?
With current squad top 6 at best.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They're looking annoyingly good I have to admit, as is the typical United fan way I probably underrate our ability and overrate the opposition but right now I don't expect their to be a lot between us and Arsenal this season (and you can possibly throw Spurs into that as well). All 3 sides could just as easily finish 3rd or 4th as they could 6th

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If we spent properly, we'd leave Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and Leicester in the dust. Us, Liverpool, Chelsea and City would be taking those top 4 spots for years. But if we feck around this window, we'll look up and see Liverpool, City and Chelsea in the top 3 and we'll be fighting with the other contenders for fourth.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
From the handful of times I've seen them under the reign of Arteta, I've liked their playing out from the back. Despite predominantly being young, the players seem to have the personality and confidence to take those risks.

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

With Saka, they have a young player who has great decision making from what I've seen. He's already played as a marauding full back camping in the third and fourth phase of attack, left winger, and as a right sided attacker. His positional fluidity is an asset to the side, as he hasn't looked out of place when carrying out different roles. Should Niles stay, I think the use of an inverted full back will continue to pay dividends for them. Should he stay, it will be interesting to see how he compares with Kyle Walker, and Ayling in that role. The dynamic on the left is quite interesting. Kolasinac has experience playing as a full back which makes him a decent choice as the split left sided CB, Niles' experience in midfield aides him well as an inverted full back, entering into the half spaces and facilitating, Aubameyang another multifunctional player that can operate as both a left inside forward, and a more centralized role.

The Europa League battle between Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs, and I suspect Leeds might very well be interesting.
Pep is one of the best coach/manager out there when it's about coaching & developing player's ability to play from the back. He's seen Pep training methods countless times so obviously he's giving the same things to improve & develop the players ability to play from the back.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That Martinez goalie looks surprisingly solid.
I've said it before last month. His performance since his breakthrough has been one of the top keeper in PL and I dare to say better than Leno. Arsenal should be looking for to get rid Leno since selling him will provide more cash than Martinez.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Leno was on the bench. Who do we think will start for Arsenal?
Leno is the number one. Martinez will either rethink his position or will be sold as soon as someones makes a decent offer ie 15M+.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Arsenal was good I thought. Arteta knows what he is doing. They would take points of big 6 for sure.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

This is fun to watch when done well. For a while, it looks like moving chess and you almost wonder why neither team is taking this more seriously. Then suddenly, they see a pass that will bypass the press and they start pushing forward quickly, and within 10 seconds they are in the opponent's box.

Womp

idiot
When Ole first came in the guy was undefeated for how long and knocked PSG out of the CL missing some of his best players.

Im not even convinced on Ole yet, but it just goes to show why it's risky to make judgement on managers so early.

People need to relax with statements like these

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I am surprised at what Arteta has been able to achieve in 8 months, especially for such a young and relatively inexperienced manager. You can definitely see why he was so highly regarded. The last few months of Emery's tenure and with the pandemic, I had fallen out of love a little with football/Arsenal. But the last couple of months and winning two trophies already has got me buzzing for the first time in absolute ages. Arteta definitely has a plan and unlike Emery, he is successfully communicating that to the team and it's showing on the pitch and in our results.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Leno is the number one. Martinez will either rethink his position or will be sold as soon as someones makes a decent offer ie 15M+.
Why is Leno number one? Martinez has looked classy everytime I've seen him. Hasn't Leno been unconvincing?

amolbhatia50k

How do you people rate Saliba and Gabriel? Have Arsenal bagged genuine quality talents at the back?

amolbhatia50k

Too early.

First half of the season I was hugely impressed with Lampard as far as his tactics and football ideas.

This season's I'll be a better indicator as to the quality of the three managers. Ole does seem the least tactic heavy of the three managers which hopefully doesn't hold us back. But he did finish the highest of course.

Amarsdd

Why is Leno number one? Martinez has looked classy everytime I've seen him. Hasn't Leno been unconvincing?
Maybe because he was also good. If I'm remembering it correctly, Leno had won a couple of their player on the month awards this season just before he got injured.