Arsenal 2020/21 - General Discussion

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Some poor numbers there.

54 million loss, wages to turn over ratio is 66%, they made 60 million profit on the players which made figures look better as per Swissramble.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Some poor numbers there.

54 million loss, wages to turn over ratio is 66%, they made 60 million profit on the players which made figures look better as per Swissramble.
Don't think there's anything unexpected in those figures. I'm sure the AST estimated last year something like a £50M drop in revenue for the 19/20 period, & a further £100M if 2020 /2021 season was to be played out behind closed doors, so that about adds up.

If I'm reading the chart right, it looks like several clubs have still to declare their figures for the same period which is making us look worse just now.

The main highlight of our finances not taking account of the Pandemic, is our wage bill is too bloated for where we finish, & lack of money Champions League makes a big impact.

1 thing I don't quite get is £60M profit on player sales. I assume that's not a Net figure comparing sales with purchases? That's a summer we bought Pepe, Saliba, Tierney, Luiz & Martinelli.

kundalini

1 thing I don't quite get is £60M profit on player sales. I assume that's not a Net figure comparing sales with purchases? That's a summer we bought Pepe, Saliba, Tierney, Luiz & Martinelli.
Profit/Loss on player sales is an accounting term. It is calculated by subtracting the book value of the player from the transfer fee received. The book value is the unamortized balance of the original transfer fee paid for the player. In the accounts, you take the original transfer fee and split the cost equally (amortize) between the number of years on the contract, so by the end of the contract, the book value is 0.

To give you an example. Player A bought for £50m, signs a 5 year deal. His transfer fee is amortized at £10m per season (50/5). If he is sold for £40m when he has 2 years left on his contract, his remaining book value is £20m. The profit on player sale would be £20m (£40m - £20m)

A player that comes through the youth system has a book value of 0. So any fee you receive would be straight profit. I'm guessing Iwobi makes up a significant chunk of the £60m profit. Bielik, Koscielny, Ospina and Jenkinson would also have either very low or zero book value at the point at which they were sold. I haven't checked the dates of each transfer so I may be including the wrong players.

Last edited:

SoCross

Kroenke -“ The global fan wants AFC v Barca as often as possible. English fans want to see more big matches, but you still want your cold nights in Stoke.”

Wow :lol: Makes me think the Glazers are better.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Kroenke -“ The global fan wants AFC v Barca as often as possible. English fans want to see more big matches, but you still want your cold nights in Stoke.”

Kroenke is way worse than your lot. What he did with the Rams shows what a cnut he is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

:lol:
Almost an insult.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

:lol: Christ

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Careful what you wish for. I bet they'd take Wenger back in a heartbeat now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The way the Arsenal fans behaved towards Wenger at the end some may say this is karma

RoyH1

They are. Kroenke cares only about his margin of profit. I wonder if they start thinking of selling when they see that they will never be able to have a closed shop NFL style.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The way the Arsenal fans behaved towards Wenger at the end some may say this is karma
Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you somehow conspired to get worse post Moyes would you have wanted the Scot back?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think Wenger was past his best, but the restrictions he was under financially in order to keep the club healthy are often disregarded when assessing him, the three FA cups in his last few seasons was a fairly impressive achievement too.

The way (some) Arsenals fans treated him towards the end was disgraceful.

charlenefan

Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you somehow conspired to get worse post Moyes would you have wanted the Scot back?
Did Moyes have the CV and history at United that Wenger did at Arsenal?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Did Moyes have the CV and history at United that Wenger did at Arsenal?
On that basis every top club in Europe bar City should be fighting each other for Mourinho this summer.

You can only life on a CV for so long.

crossy1686

career ending
On that basis every top club in Europe bar City should be fighting each other for Mourinho this summer.

You can only life on a CV for so long.
You only manage a team like Tottenham twice in your career. Once on the way up, and once on the way down. Mourinho's done.

charlenefan

I'm going on your logic that people should be in jobs based on their history.
Yeah because me saying Arsenal fans should have shown Wenger more respect for the job he'd done at Arsenal is the exact same thing as clubs Mourinho has never worked for wanting to hire him because of his CV at other clubs isn't it :lol:

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Don't forget that DT said they're only a 'Bruno Fernandes' away from the top 4
An Arsenal fan on here argued a month or a couple of months ago with me that Arsenal weren't really that far behind Utd, despite what the league table suggested. I really have no sympathy for their downfall, they're a deluded bunch, I have a couple of cousins who are fans and who are unbearable when it comes to talking about football.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Arsenal squad is not as bad as what people and their fans actually think. Not better than us, Chelsea and City but definitely better than West Ham, Everton and could be on par with Spurs ''overall'' but I don't think they are far off with Leicester squad. I give Leicester has better squad but not by much.

In comparison with Leicester.

Vardy + Iheanacho vs Aubameyang + Laca.
Barnes + Maddison + Albrighton vs Saka + Ødegaard + Pepe
Praet + Perez + vs Smith Rowe + Willian
Ndidi + Tielemans + Mendy + Choudhury vs Partey + Xhaka + Cebalos + Elneny/Guendouzi

Arteta is really not the right man for Arsenal. I think if they replace Arteta with Rodgers, sign right back like Max Aaron for example, very good deep playmaker to play next to Partey & centre back. They can make top 4 next season.

Last edited:

George the Cat

An Arsenal fan on here argued a month or a couple of months ago with me that Arsenal weren't really that far behind Utd, despite what the league table suggested. I really have no sympathy for their downfall, they're a deluded bunch, I have a couple of cousins who are fans and who are unbearable when it comes to talking about football.
Yeah, Arse fans at work constantly going on about how they are better than us. Not had to suffer that for a year now due to working from home.
I have never known such delusional fans, they haven’t won the title in 17 years and never won the Champs league.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Might have been me. I've changed my tact slightly, I think both first choice teams aren't that far apart, you are better as the league table doesn't lie. I appreciate now though that we have a lack of depth when certain first teamers are out and that seems to hurt us massively, so in terms of squad depth you are a fair bit superior. We also seem a bit 1 dimensional at home still so that needs rectified as well. I think it's easily possible to improve on what we are currently, but we need a good transfer window to do so.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Might have been me. I've changed my tact slightly, I think both first choice teams aren't that far apart, you are better as the league table doesn't lie. I appreciate now though that we have a lack of depth when certain first teamers are out and that seems to hurt us massively, so in terms of squad depth you are a fair bit superior. We also seem a bit 1 dimensional at home still so that needs rectified as well. I think it's easily possible to improve on what we are currently, but we need a good transfer window to do so.
What’s your view on the proposed take over by a Daniel Ek and the rest?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What’s your view on the proposed take over by a Daniel Ek and the rest?
Taking it all with a pinch of salt just now, as I'm not sure the Kronkes will sell to be honest. Id welcome new owners that were more engaging with the support, that's for sure, but I certainly won't be rushing out to call the the lad our guaranteed saviour.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How has Odegaard been for Arsenal?

Better performances than Arteta can manage or is he looking settled in to average player syndrome.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
How has Odegaard been for Arsenal?

Better performances than Arteta can manage or is he looking settled in to average player syndrome.
He was starting to play well & really set the tempo in our attack before he got injured. Last night was his first game back but he looked off the pace if truth be told.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Out of interest, what do you consider to be your first 11?

dbs235

That's my experience with their fans too. Which is why it never gets old watching the calamitous goals they concede every week and watching them still try and act relevant from all the way down in 10th.

BorisManUtd

They've been average all season but if they win Europa league then it puts a different perspective. Easier to lure players with Champions league football, more funds etc. Got out of jail yesterday, 2-1 down going into home leg isn't that bad at all.

Reactions: Invictus

Irwin99

Do you actually believe you could beat us in a final if your players are back? I presume you'll have most of your first team back won't you?

I think Cavani and Pogba's recent form means I'd bet on us to win quite comfortably but if i'm honest I'd rather face Villarreal because I think Arsenal's fitness and pressing is a bit more of a worry (see the recent games we've played against you). Aubameyang and Lacazette are always a threat too.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Out of interest, what do you consider to be your first 11?
Can I just start by saying I do think you are better, you are a more settled & experienced team, I just don't think there's a massive gap between the first XI's that the league tables suggest, although we are exactly where we deserve to be.

As for our starting XI, i would pick something like this, but there's debatable positions, such as Auba / Laca or Smith-Rowe / Pepe / Martinell..

--------------------------Leno-----------------------

Bellerin-------Luiz--------Gabriel-------Tierney

------------------Partey------Xhaka-------------

----Saka-----------Odegaard----------Smith-Rowe

---------------------Aubameyang----------------

The bold I think are areas we will defo look to improve on or there's question marks about next season. I'm hoping Saliba comes in & takes Luiz's place. So that means we buy a new right back, a more mobile partner for Partey, & see what we can do about Odegaard or a replacement.

Do you actually believe you could beat us in a final if your players are back? I presume you'll have most of your first team back won't you?

I think Cavani and Pogba's recent form means I'd bet on us to win quite comfortably but if i'm honest I'd rather face Villarreal because I think Arsenal's fitness and pressing is a bit more of a worry (see the recent games we've played against you). Aubameyang and Lacazette are always a threat too.
Even if we have a full team I'd make you favourites, because I simply can't trust or predict when this Arsenal team will decide to perform. We could make it a really competitive game, or we could just as easily lose a goal from playing out from the back, score an og, get a man sent off & lose 4-0!