Arsenal 2020/21 - General Discussion

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Agree completely. They're not far off us, and assuming Woodward bottles it yet again, top 4 won't be a given for us. Spurs also have the benefit of a Mourinho second season.
Arsenal under Arteta will develop as a good cup team as long as aubamyang available for them.

Pace upfront gave them the cushion to sit back and counter opponents. Will have to see how much they are effective against lesser opponents?

Spurs under Mourinho very much unpredictable. He will thrive as underdog. He has the tools to perform well in this Spurs team. If he had good striker his teams always accumulate points after points which is well known history. So can't take them lightly.

Last edited:

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Why is Leno number one? Martinez has looked classy everytime I've seen him. Hasn't Leno been unconvincing?
Leno was pretty good last season before he got injured. He made a couple of errors but which goalie doesn't? For the most part he kept us from slipping into the relegation zone. Martinez has been at the club for 10 years and has finally developed enough to challenge for the #1 spot. Leno's injury gave him a solid run of games. Ideally Martinez would stay, but then again, he wants regular game time.

Too early.

First half of the season I was hugely impressed with Lampard as far as his tactics and football ideas.

This season's I'll be a better indicator as to the quality of the three managers. Ole does seem the least tactic heavy of the three managers which hopefully doesn't hold us back. But he did finish the highest of course.
I agree. Arteta has a clear vision and is building a team around that plan. That's refreshing after spending a year or so under Emery's brand of "the plan is to have no plan" football. The cup win was sensational and so were some results towards the end (beating Liverpool, City, and Chelsea in the final few games), but let's not forget the terrible performances during defeats to Aston Villa and Brighton.

The bright side has been Arteta's player development skills. I'll list a few examples of this:

1. Xhaka: His redemption arc was almost like watching the second half of a sports movie. He's finally the player we thought we were buying. I still believe the club will not reach CL places until we replace him with someone better. He's a bit too slow for my liking (in terms of turning defence into attack specifically). This column highlights his limitations pretty well.
  2. Ceballos: It's a shame he probably isn't going to return. He is one of the few players who complements Xhaka well in midfield. Was totally lost under Emery, but under Arteta he turned into a solid first team player.
  3. Aubameyang: Surprisingly enough, Emery had managed to kill his goals. Arteta didn't have to develop Aubameyang as a player, but he went on a phenomenal scoring streak under the new manager.
  4. Mustafi: Went from looking like a clown to a decent mid-table club defender. I'll take that as a big win.
  5. Luiz: Still very error-prone, but he did produce some top-class performances in the FA Cup semi and final.
  6. Pepe: His transfer fee was a total joke but he is definitely a lovely player to watch. Looked like a bumbling fool under Emery, but Arteta has done well to help him develop. The attack is well-balanced with Auba on the left and Pepe on the right -- both are absolutely deadly on the counter.
There are a few more examples of players growing in stature under Arteta such as Tierney, Maitland-Niles, etc but those probably can't just be attributed to the coach.

Anyone who thinks that this Arsenal team can make it to the top 4 is probably deluded. Our midfield is still quite weak and player recruitment has been abysmal in the past few years. We're definitely in for a top 6 finish this year, but top 4 is still one step too far. The question to ask is: Who is Arsenal going to dislodge to make it to the top 4? I'm in the mood to do some bullet points today, so here's why top 4 isn't going to happen.

• Liverpool: Small squad but extremely well-drilled. They more or less sealed the league in January and have looked almost invincible for two years now. Definitely not finishing outside top 4. Even though we've beaten them in the last two matches, I'll be surprised if we manage one point in against them in the league.
  • Manchester City: The Caf loves to hate on Pep but there's no way he's going to let City drop outside the top 4. Even in such a "bad" season, they managed over 100 goals and conceded only two more than Liverpool. If they get Messi, I'd like to see if they can set a new record for most goals scored.
  • Manchester United: A lot of people here keep saying United are not top 4 material but I disagree. The squad is definitely top 4 level. One or two more smart additions such as Bruno Fernandes, along with some good squad players, would make United good enough for top 3. I feel the full-backs are a lot weaker than other prem sides, especially since the role of full-backs has evolved a lot in recent years and the bench strength is terrible. I was watching the Europa League semi-final and it reminded me of Arsenal circa 2008 or 09 (van Persie off, Bendtner on :lol:). There's a lot of time till October and I think United will sign just enough to build on the good work done last season.
  • Chelsea: I've always been very impressed with the recruitment department of Chelsea. It looks like they clearly know which areas to strengthen and are getting the right players for each position. I can only hope that Chilwell is the new Drinkwater, Havertz turns into the Ozil of 2021, and Silva suddenly turns into Silvestre (from his Arsenal days :lol: ). I'm pretty sure they'll get a new goalie this window, and I don't see them dropping out of top 4. With these signings, they better close the gap with City and Liverpool, or else Lampard's going to get sacked.

AshRK

Leno was pretty good last season before he got injured. He made a couple of errors but which goalie doesn't? For the most part he kept us from slipping into the relegation zone. Martinez has been at the club for 10 years and has finally developed enough to challenge for the #1 spot. Leno's injury gave him a solid run of games. Ideally Martinez would stay, but then again, he wants regular game time.

I agree. Arteta has a clear vision and is building a team around that plan. That's refreshing after spending a year or so under Emery's brand of "the plan is to have no plan" football. The cup win was sensational and so were some results towards the end (beating Liverpool, City, and Chelsea in the final few games), but let's not forget the terrible performances during defeats to Aston Villa and Brighton.

The bright side has been Arteta's player development skills. I'll list a few examples of this:

1. Xhaka: His redemption arc was almost like watching the second half of a sports movie. He's finally the player we thought we were buying. I still believe the club will not reach CL places until we replace him with someone better. He's a bit too slow for my liking (in terms of turning defence into attack specifically). This column highlights his limitations pretty well.
  2. Ceballos: It's a shame he probably isn't going to return. He is one of the few players who complements Xhaka well in midfield. Was totally lost under Emery, but under Arteta he turned into a solid first team player.
  3. Aubameyang: Surprisingly enough, Emery had managed to kill his goals. Arteta didn't have to develop Aubameyang as a player, but he went on a phenomenal scoring streak under the new manager.
  4. Mustafi: Went from looking like a clown to a decent mid-table club defender. I'll take that as a big win.
  5. Luiz: Still very error-prone, but he did produce some top-class performances in the FA Cup semi and final.
  6. Pepe: His transfer fee was a total joke but he is definitely a lovely player to watch. Looked like a bumbling fool under Emery, but Arteta has done well to help him develop. The attack is well-balanced with Auba on the left and Pepe on the right -- both are absolutely deadly on the counter.
There are a few more examples of players growing in stature under Arteta such as Tierney, Maitland-Niles, etc but those probably can't just be attributed to the coach.

Anyone who thinks that this Arsenal team can make it to the top 4 is probably deluded. Our midfield is still quite weak and player recruitment has been abysmal in the past few years. We're definitely in for a top 6 finish this year, but top 4 is still one step too far. The question to ask is: Who is Arsenal going to dislodge to make it to the top 4? I'm in the mood to do some bullet points today, so here's why top 4 isn't going to happen.

• Liverpool: Small squad but extremely well-drilled. They more or less sealed the league in January and have looked almost invincible for two years now. Definitely not finishing outside top 4. Even though we've beaten them in the last two matches, I'll be surprised if we manage one point in against them in the league.
  • Manchester City: The Caf loves to hate on Pep but there's no way he's going to let City drop outside the top 4. Even in such a "bad" season, they managed over 100 goals and conceded only two more than Liverpool. If they get Messi, I'd like to see if they can set a new record for most goals scored.
  • Manchester United: A lot of people here keep saying United are not top 4 material but I disagree. The squad is definitely top 4 level. One or two more smart additions such as Bruno Fernandes, along with some good squad players, would make United good enough for top 3. I feel the full-backs are a lot weaker than other prem sides, especially since the role of full-backs has evolved a lot in recent years and the bench strength is terrible. I was watching the Europa League semi-final and it reminded me of Arsenal circa 2008 or 09 (van Persie off, Bendtner on :lol:). There's a lot of time till October and I think United will sign just enough to build on the good work done last season.
  • Chelsea: I've always been very impressed with the recruitment department of Chelsea. It looks like they clearly know which areas to strengthen and are getting the right players for each position. I can only hope that Chilwell is the new Drinkwater, Havertz turns into the Ozil of 2021, and Silva suddenly turns into Silvestre (from his Arsenal days :lol: ). I'm pretty sure they'll get a new goalie this window, and I don't see them dropping out of top 4. With these signings, they better close the gap with City and Liverpool, or else Lampard's going to get sacked.
Good post. One thing I am very impressed by arteta which later years of wenger lacked and also emery lacked is defensive organization. I know it's too early but I don't see big teams scoring for fun against this arsenal side. You guys look a steong defensive unit. Although I am still not too convinced with you attacking play as you have been too reliant on Auba but Pepe could be a key player. If he overcomes his first season woes I can see you guys challenging for top 4 and if other teams falter I can even see you guys in top 4 which would be a massive achievement for arteta but a important one. Ultimately CL football must be a priority for a club like Arsenal.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Good post. One thing I am very impressed by arteta which later years of wenger lacked and also emery lacked is defensive organization. I know it's too early but I don't see big teams scoring for fun against this arsenal side. You guys look a steong defensive unit.
I wouldn't call us "strong" defensively just yet, but we are making some progress. Defence is a lot better than what it was under Emery and maybe Wenger's last years. I don't expect any 6-0 type trouncing this season, but the concern is conceding two or three frequently. In the last three seasons we've conceded 51, 51, and 48 goals, which is way too high. Before that we were at 36 and 44 respectively and I hope we can reach that level this year.

Although I am still not too convinced with you attacking play as you have been too reliant on Auba but Pepe could be a key player. If he overcomes his first season woes I can see you guys challenging for top 4 and if other teams falter I can even see you guys in top 4 which would be a massive achievement for arteta but a important one. Ultimately CL football must be a priority for a club like Arsenal.
The midfield rebuild will define whether we get to the CL or not. Defence has been sorted out now with the new signings, and like you said, the attack is looking good too. Perhaps we can shift out Lacazette and get another goalscorer there. However, Özil is pretty much out of the squad for good, and Xhaka is our best midfielder now, so there is a lot of room for improvement. This is why we're being linked with Aouar and Partey. I hope we get at least one of those two. :)

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta has got nothing over Ole or lampard. Both Ole and lampard achieved much more important targets by getting the CL. Fa cup was least of the priorities for everyone. Jury is still out on arteta, ultimately he has to get them the CL football.
Eh? Both Solskjaer and Lampard inherited much, much, much better squads in better situations than Arteta. Arteta took over from a complete train wreck with a garbage squad - full of overpaid Championship level players and managed to win the FA Cup.

You're grossly underrating what he's done with the tools at his disposal (Mustafi, Xhaka, Sokratis, Kolasinac etc).

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I've said it before last month. His performance since his breakthrough has been one of the top keeper in PL and I dare to say better than Leno. Arsenal should be looking for to get rid Leno since selling him will provide more cash than Martinez.
Thing is before Leno got injured he was probably on course to be our player of the season, Martinez to be fair has come in and looked every bit as good and when it comes to corners and setpieces I'd say look better. Leno however has been very good for a much longer period of time, Martinez only for like 10 games. Don't forget under Emery Leno was keeping us in games despite us being bombarded with 25+ shots a game regularly!

How do you people rate Saliba and Gabriel? Have Arsenal bagged genuine quality talents at the back?
Saliba looks an incredible talent, for someone so young he gives off serious Varane vibes. Still just a talent though, only young and needs time to develop and realise that talent.

Paul_Scholes18

Too early.

First half of the season I was hugely impressed with Lampard as far as his tactics and football ideas.

This season's I'll be a better indicator as to the quality of the three managers. Ole does seem the least tactic heavy of the three managers which hopefully doesn't hold us back. But he did finish the highest of course.
True they have all done pretty well so far. I do feel like Lampard is the worst one for the big games so far.
Ole has done well in the big league games, but not so impressive in the cups when it matters the most. Still we should have beaten Sevilla with the tactics we had.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
True they have all done pretty well so far. I do feel like Lampard is the worst one for the big games so far.
Ole has done well in the big league games, but not so impressive in the cups when it matters the most. Still we should have beaten Sevilla with the tactics we had.
I think if you take you guys out of it he's done quite well.

Ironically become the first ever manager to do a double on Mourinho.

Paul_Scholes18

I think if you take you guys out of it he's done quite well.

Ironically become the first ever manager to do a double on Mourinho.
True you did well to reach the Fa cup final too. Had the hardest path of all the big sides even if Liverpool played with reserves.
Just was not impressed with Chelsea in Europe. Thought they could have easily ended up in third in the group and got smashed by Bayern totally.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It never ceases to amaze me how many weird nutjobs walk among us.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I know I'll get shat on here but they'll be battling with us for 4th unless we get 2 extra bodies in our attack. Back up currently is nowhere near good enough for top 6. Obviously our front 3 is much better but we saw towards the end of the season what happens when the same players play every game week in week out.
I mean you could say the exact same thing for them. Auba gets hurt and they are devoid of goal threats.

We are comfortably a better side on paper but that doesn't mean anything right now.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Aubameyang and Gabriel have signed, Ceballos is coming back, Martinez might extend and AMN will probably stay.
Sokratis who is about to be sold to Napoli for 4M is the only outgoing on top of Mikhitaryan and Greenwood (young striker to Leeds for 2/3M).
So that's 6/7M in and we need around 110M to get Partey+Aouar. Torreira and Holding could get us 30/40M maximum. I think we have a problem :lol:

If only the Kroenke could recognize the golden opportunity we have to close the gap and give us a nudge. Partey reportedly only wants us while Aouar wants a PL move with Lyon needing to sell.
City is busy signing an unknown argentinian, Liverpool are locked on Thiago, Chelsea signed Havertz, United have Bruno, Spurs are shit. We are in the best position possible to try and get him. This will end in tears....:(

Blood Mage

Aubameyang FC, and he's on the wrong side of 30. They'd better pull some big surprises in the transfer market over the next couple of years if they want to have any hope of being relevant again.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta has got nothing over Ole or lampard. Both Ole and lampard achieved much more important targets by getting the CL. Fa cup was least of the priorities for everyone. Jury is still out on arteta, ultimately he has to get them the CL football.
You might at least have pointed out that having joined mid season, Arteta deserves praise for what he has achieved. He’s won a trophy. Get back to me when ever Ole or Frank does.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Mikel Arteta stats as Arsenal manager
W17 D6 L6
Not bad joining mid season with the stage of the team at the time. I don't see the point compare with other manager. It is his first job as a manager. He is only 38 and has a long career ahead of him. I don't think any manager will stay at one club for long anymore. There won't be another Wenger or Ferguson.

AshRK

You might at least have pointed out that having joined mid season, Arteta deserves praise for what he has achieved. He’s won a trophy. Get back to me when ever Ole or Frank does.
Go back to the post to which I was reply and then look at the context of my post rather than just jumping the gun and getting defensive. Also, if you have time go back even further and you will see i have praised arteta for.improving the defective organization. So get back to me when you understand the context of my post.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
For me it really depends whether we can get someone like Partey in. With the addition of Saliba, Gabriel and Willian plus hopefully the likes of Ceballos and Pepe continue with their gradual improvements and you can at least be quite optimistic. If we don't get Partey (or similar player) then I'm afraid our midfield will still lack some vital attributes. Right now it is by far our weakest area.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Huh? The rest of that post was good but this bit couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing consistent about us the last 2 years was Auba scoring goals regardless if the team was doing well or we were on a long dreadful run. he finished joint top scorer in Emery's season in charge. The only difference has been that he has started scoring more against the big sides since Arteta took over. However that is simply because we started to compete in those games.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
I really hope we don't lose Bellerin to PSG. If the choice was losing Bellerin and get Partey + Aouar, then ok. If it's only to get Partey, i'd buy somebody else cheaper and keep Hector.
Our 2 defensive signings are still a completely unknown quantity, i don't want to go a full season with AMN or Cedric first choice at RB.
If we can't avoid it then we need to absolutely milk them, 30M is a joke, we should get at least 40/45. They spent 35 on the average Kehrer who was out of contract. Covid prices do not apply to oil clubs.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Huh? The rest of that post was good but this bit couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing consistent about us the last 2 years was Auba scoring goals regardless if the team was doing well or we were on a long dreadful run. he finished joint top scorer in Emery's season in charge. The only difference has been that he has started scoring more against the big sides since Arteta took over. However that is simply because we started to compete in those games.
I should have been clearer, I was talking about the 2019-20 season only. Please correct me if I’m wrong about this. If I remember correctly Auba scored 6 or 7 PL goals before Arteta took over and the rest after that.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
I really hope we don't lose Bellerin to PSG. If the choice was losing Bellerin and get Partey + Aouar, then ok. If it's only to get Partey, i'd buy somebody else cheaper and keep Hector.
Our 2 defensive signings are still a completely unknown quantity, i don't want to go a full season with AMN or Cedric first choice at RB.
If we can't avoid it then we need to absolutely milk them, 30M is a joke, we should get at least 40/45. They spent 35 on the average Kehrer who was out of contract. Covid prices do not apply to oil clubs.
I wonder whether Bellerin will truly recover from that ACL injury. He appears to have lost a significant amount of pace. This is why I'm not massively worried about losing him if the money is right.
Bringing in Partey alone though IS enough to justify getting rid of Bellerin for me. Provided we keep AMN - I'm not even massively convinced that Bellerin is that much better than AMN (plus the latter still has his legs).

Sell for £40m imo.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
I wonder whether Bellerin will truly recover from that ACL injury. He appears to have lost a significant amount of pace. This is why I'm not massively worried about losing him if the money is right.
Bringing in Partey alone though IS enough to justify getting rid of Bellerin for me. Provided we keep AMN - I'm not even massively convinced that Bellerin is that much better than AMN (plus the latter still has his legs).

Sell for £40m imo.
[/QUOTE]

AMN is blindingly quick

awop

Supports
Arsenal

Sell for £40m imo.
Bellerin is definitely better on the right and if we're losing Kolasinac, AMN can do a very decent job on the left.
Xhaka-Ceballos-Aouar is infinitely more useful to us than Xhaka-Ceballos-Partey. We can't go another full season with Ceballos being our only forward passer and creative output.It will put more pressure on Aubameyang to create his own goals.
If we're not going to bother trying Ozil then we need Aouar more than Partey.

hubbuh

Aouar is going to cost around €60m isn’t he? Can’t see you pulling it off.

DanClancy

Surely Arsenal going to have to sell a before they can buy another midfielder? I realise they've not invested heavily but in the last few years they've spent a fair bit whilst revenue hasn't increased, think they've missed out on CL football for the last 4 seasons.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Surely Arsenal going to have to sell a before they can buy another midfielder? I realise they've not invested heavily but in the last few years they've spent a fair bit whilst revenue hasn't increased, think they've missed out on CL football for the last 4 seasons.
We definitely need to sell before we can buy but there are credible links for Bellerin to PSG in the 30-35m pound range and Torreira to Fiorentina or some other Italian club in the 20-25m pound range so selling looks likely and could happen quite soon.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Aouar is going to cost around €60m isn’t he? Can’t see you pulling it off.
50+ should be enough but there doesn't seem to be anyone willing or able to pay it. Out of England it's only City or Arsenal and he supposedly doesn't want to go to Italy. In normal times i could not see Juventus splashing that kind of cash. On top of that they had to cook their books with the Pjanic/Arthur swap and terminate Khedira, Matuidi and Higuain.
If City get Messi and Koulibaly, they might have to sell somebody to pretend their finances are clear.

Sokratis-Torreira-Kolasinac-Guendouzi-Holding-Martinez-AMN-Bellerin are the players we might see get sold. It won't be all of them and whoever it is it won't be enough for both Partey and Aouar. Arteta has a choice to make.

Imo we should sell Sokratis (4),Torreira(18), Martinez(15), Kolasinac and Guendouzi to go for Aouar. Keep Bellerin and AMN.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Aubameyang FC, and he's on the wrong side of 30. They'd better pull some big surprises in the transfer market over the next couple of years if they want to have any hope of being relevant again.
They had a poor league season but still won a trophy. Man. United have finished out of the top 4 three times in last five years aswell.

Still wouldn't have them finishing in top 4 though, 5th at best.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
50+ should be enough but there doesn't seem to be anyone willing or able to pay it. Out of England it's only City or Arsenal and he supposedly doesn't want to go to Italy. In normal times i could not see Juventus splashing that kind of cash. On top of that they had to cook their books with the Pjanic/Arthur swap and terminate Khedira, Matuidi and Higuain.
If City get Messi and Koulibaly, they might have to sell somebody to pretend their finances are clear.

Sokratis-Torreira-Kolasinac-Guendouzi-Holding-Martinez-AMN-Bellerin are the players we might see get sold. It won't be all of them and whoever it is it won't be enough for both Partey and Aouar. Arteta has a choice to make.

Imo we should sell Sokratis (4),Torreira(18), Martinez(15), Kolasinac and Guendouzi to go for Aouar. Keep Bellerin and AMN.
Reiss Nelson seems an obvious type to sell for about 10m +. Played a bit in the run in but dosen't look good enough for Arsenal in the long run and you're well stocked on the left.

Talk of Bellerin to PSG for 30m.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think they deserve credit for how they've coped from having sacked their manager/glaring holes and issues in the team/financial constraints compared to rivals.

Arteta looks the right choice, the best piece of business they could do this window is securing Aubameyang and they've added good options on top of that.

Realistically, I'm not sure things could have gone much better for them since lockdown ended.

romufc

I think they deserve credit for how they've coped from having sacked their manager/glaring holes and issues in the team/financial constraints compared to rivals.

Arteta looks the right choice, the best piece of business they could do this window is securing Aubameyang and they've added good options on top of that.

Realistically, I'm not sure things could have gone much better for them since lockdown ended.
Arteta looks the right choice but I am not sure why so much sympathy considering the confidence going into last season. They finished 5th, signed a couple players and had come off a Europa final.

16/17 they spent £101m
17/18 they spent £137m
18/19 they spent £72m
19/20 they spent £144m

They have a attack with Auby, Laca, pepe with Martinelli, Saka

Their midfield is weak but Cabellos was very highly rated

Tierney is highly rated as a LB and they have spent £30m plus on their CB's.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Arteta looks the right choice but I am not sure why so much sympathy considering the confidence going into last season. They finished 5th, signed a couple players and had come off a Europa final.

16/17 they spent £101m
17/18 they spent £137m
18/19 they spent £72m
19/20 they spent £144m

They have a attack with Auby, Laca, pepe with Martinelli, Saka

Their midfield is weak but Cabellos was very highly rated

Tierney is highly rated as a LB and they have spent £30m plus on their CB's.
I will always have a soft spot for Arsenal because of the great rivalry between SAF and Wenger. I prefer to see them doing better rather than the likes of Spurs

romufc

I will always have a soft spot for Arsenal because of the great rivalry between SAF and Wenger. I prefer to see them doing better rather than the likes of Spurs
That's fine, but people sometimes gloss over the fact that Arsenal have spend approx £100m every summer for the last 4/5 summers.

They finished 5th last summer and 8th this time with primarily similar players.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Reiss Nelson seems an obvious type to sell for about 10m +. Played a bit in the run in but dosen't look good enough for Arsenal in the long run and you're well stocked on the left.

Talk of Bellerin to PSG for 30m.
I think Arteta likes him the same way he likes Willock. Useful bodies to throw at the end of games, who won't make a fuss and on low wages. He's probably got a year or two left to make a mark before being moved on. There is a player somewhere in him but he hasn't been able to show it.
Hopefully we don't sell Bellerin, especially not at 30M.

That's fine, but people sometimes gloss over the fact that Arsenal have spend approx £100m every summer for the last 4/5 summers.

We've had bad buys, and the negative signs were evident in the last games of the season. Getting trashed by Chelsea in the final didn't help. Then we lost Ramsey, loaned Ceballos and barely played him while Mustafi was compiling his showreel of mistakes. We're nowhere near the end of the tunnel, our 60M worth of CB are 19 and 22 with 0 minutes of PL football so this can still go very wrong.If it does our safety net is Mustafi/Holding/Chambers assuming Luiz leave next year. And that's the area we "sorted" !

Midfield remains untouched and our pockets are empty. I'd prefer Aouar to arrive but Arteta said in interviews that he needs a powerful midfielder first and creativity next so he will probably chose Partey.

Solving our creativity problems will be on Ceballos's shoulders if he's played in a more advanced position and Smith-Rowe. But ideally, the latter could use a PL loan.
Arteta saved Mustafi and Xhaka, maybe he got some powers left to resurect Özil :drool:

romufc

We've had bad buys, and the negative signs were evident in the last games of the season. Getting trashed by Chelsea in the final didn't help. Then we lost Ramsey, loaned Ceballos and barely played him while Mustafi was compiling his showreel of mistakes. We're nowhere near the end of the tunnel, our 60M worth of CB are 19 and 22 with 0 minutes of PL football so this can still go very wrong.If it does our safety net is Mustafi/Holding/Chambers assuming Luiz leave next year. And that's the area we "sorted" !

Midfield remains untouched and our pockets are empty. I'd prefer Aouar to arrive but Arteta said in interviews that he needs a powerful midfielder first and creativity next so he will probably chose Partey.

Solving our creativity problems will be on Ceballos's shoulders if he's played in a more advanced position and Smith-Rowe. But ideally, the latter could use a PL loan.
Arteta saved Mustafi and Xhaka, maybe he got some powers left to resurect Özil :drool:
That is very similar to things at United. I was referring to fans that will be quick to criticise other teams.

Arsenal like United have alot of work to be done, whilst Arsenal are one window behind manutd, you can see what the manager is trying to do, the players they are bringing is for the future and not just instant success.

They are focused on building a team rather than just putting one together.

I think no Arsenal manager will have powers to resurect Ozil

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That is very similar to things at United. I was referring to fans that will be quick to criticise other teams.

Arsenal like United have alot of work to be done, whilst Arsenal are one window behind manutd, you can see what the manager is trying to do, the players they are bringing is for the future and not just instant success.

They are focused on building a team rather than just putting one together.

I think no Arsenal manager will have powers to resurect Ozil
The issue is Ozil is a luxury player that shines in a team with possession, and Arsenal is not that team anymore. It is not his fault and arsenal at current stage can not carry him anymore.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
I should have been clearer, I was talking about the 2019-20 season only. Please correct me if I’m wrong about this. If I remember correctly Auba scored 6 or 7 PL goals before Arteta took over and the rest after that.
He scored 8 goals in 13 games in the league under Emery. Which is a rate of a goal in every 1.6 matches. He scored 14 goals in 23 games after Emery got sacked (3 games under Ljungberg, the rest under Arteta). Which is exactly again a rate of a goal in 1.6 matches.

There was no difference at all but it might felt differently because Arteta brought the good feel factor back.

JazzG

Resident Arse.

We have sold a lot of players in that time as well. But I'd say over the past decade our transfer business has generally been pretty poor.