Arsenal 2020/21 - General Discussion

Himannv

Let’s be completely honest here. Take out Aubamayeng out of that starting lineup and that is a seriously underwhelming bang average team. After Aubamayeng your next big star is an unproven Gabriel. Damn.
Agree to some extent, but it really looks a bit more closer to what the manager wants now. I think that back three has a lot of potential and their wingbacks can certainly play, but the biggest negative will always be that midfield. Really lacking that extra quality in that area.

Chief123

Agree to some extent, but it really looks a bit more closer to what the manager wants now. I think that back three has a lot of potential and their wingbacks can certainly play, but the biggest negative will always be that midfield. Really lacking that extra quality in that area.
They’ve absolutely improved as a unit under Arteta. Yes they have some good players and the manager will be able to set them up well. They look a lot better than recent years. But some of the suggestions here that their squad is better than ours is ridiculous.

Himannv

They’ve absolutely improved as a unit under Arteta. Yes they have some good players and the manager will be able to set them up well. They look a lot better than recent years. But some of the suggestions here that their squad is better than ours is ridiculous.
No, I think we have a better squad. We were a little bit hot and cold last season, which is why there is that impression. At times we're pretty much unstoppable and at other times we can't play to save our lives. This is a good Arsenal side, of course, but they're a work in progress as well and I think midfield is a problem in terms of genuine quality.

Chief123

No, I think we have a better squad. We were a little bit hot and cold last season, which is why there is that impression. At times we're pretty much unstoppable and at other times we can't play to save our lives. This is a good Arsenal side, of course, but they're a work in progress as well and I think midfield is a problem in terms of genuine quality.
Gabriel certainly looks like he can improve them defensively massively. Fulham is not the greatest challenge but Gabriel looks to have the attributes to be a proper commanding defender.

Lee565

I can see Willian edging pepe out for 1st choice right winger this season, I swear everytime I watch a match with Willian playing he plays well and makes me wonder why he has got so much flack from chelsea fans over the years.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
I'd say our ending of the season went downwards. While theirs ended, and now started, on a high. So those 10 points, or whatever it ended up on, doesn't mean much today.
Yes, I think Arteta will bring more out of that squad this season.

Looking at our squad, I don't feel comfortable going into this season. We still have that weak bench. Pogba's desire and is still a question mark for me. Rashford's been out of form for quite a while now and I don't know when he'll turn around again. The same with Wan-Bissaka, as you could clearly see a different player at the start of the season comparing to the later stage. Can Shaw stay fit? De Gea or Henderson? We have a good starting eleven, but when they don't perform, we don't have options. As we watched them under perform at the ending stage of the season, Solskjaer had nothing tactically to come up with. He just kept on playing the same players. Putting trust on those individuality's to put in a performance.
Looking at Arsenals, I actually think they have a decent squad. They have interesting options going forward. Decent options in midfield. Leno looks good. Defense could be better, but I think Gabriel could be a great signing for them. Hell, I wanted us to sign him and have him in as one of our starting center backs. I would also think that Arteta has the right mentality and managing style to get these players working together. And think he can tactically change the game if needed.

How is it that you think I'd need an excuse for Arteta?
If they don't finish above us, I'd just be wrong and that's it.
I like this post and I think it's a fair assessment of Arsenal. I think our team has room to develop that extra quality needed to try and push for the top 4. Whilst I predict we probably wont make it, I can be sure that we will give you guys at least a good run for your money. However the squad is bloated and ideally we need to offload a few dead wood and hopefully sign someone like Partey to give us that extra bit of quality in the spine of the team.

From an outsiders perspective, looking at United...I'd agree with the majority of this post. I see you guys as more individuals currently, rather than a functioning squad (although close to our peak) like Arsenals.

Reactions: nimic

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
They defeated a team who will probably end up fighting for relegation and maybe going down. There's really nothing to be impressed about. They will have better season than last one but I don't expect them to finish higher than 6th.
So 5th is out of reach???

I think last year's top 4 will remain (perhaps in a different order) but Arsenal has every chance of being the best of the rest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't think their squad is anywhere near as good as ours. But I see them battling for 5th with Spurs and they'll finish ahead of the likes of Wolves and Leicester.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can see Willian edging pepe out for 1st choice right winger this season, I swear everytime I watch a match with Willian playing he plays well and makes me wonder why he has got so much flack from chelsea fans over the years.
Let's just say theres a reason both Conte and Sarri favoured Pedro.

He's decent at what he does don't get me wrong but the overrating of him from pundits and opposition fans is ridiculous.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure why people have us struggling to make 6th. I don't expect Wolves to do any better than last season, Tottenham haven't strengthed and don't look like they've improved under Mourinho. We have a poor first half of the season and Arteta had a slow start when he came in Midseason. We won 6 out of the first 25 games but finished strongly with 8/13 wins. Assuming Auba doesn't get injured we'll get 5th or 6th comfortably.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It’s just a shame Arsenal weren’t able to sign him and he ended up at City instead.

Im not even a huge fan of Kane, but he’s a better striker than Aubama-Toothbrush
:lol: the caf never fails to deliver does it

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t know where we will finish but we look to be on the right track. We have a manager who seems to be a great fit, we’ve already won a trophy, our tactics are spot on and we are spending whatever we have to improve the team as best we can. Short of someone taking over and spending a few hundred million to improve us I think we are doing the best we can under the circumstances. I’m happy to challenge for a CL spot and keep moving forward maybe wining a cup or two along the way.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Auba signing is fantastic news.

I hope the club can follow this bit of business with the business of shipping out the likes of Gendouzi and Torreira among others.

To a lesser extent, but if it means a good return, Bellerin.

The money from Martinez along with the funds from that lot and maybe a couple of others would easily cover a Partey signing or two.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
You guys don't think Kane is better than Aubameyang?
Since he signed for us no player in the league has scored more goals than him, which is a pretty astonishing stat considering how poor our team has been.

In Auba's first year I too thought Kane was a better, more complete striker but you can't really argue with how consistently well Aubameyang has performed.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Martinez to A.Villa for 19/20M & Torreira to Torino for 22M should pay Partey's release clause.
We're going to need both KSE to help a little and Lyon to do us a favour with installments if we want to get Aouar. Them selling Depay, Rafael and Traore means they're about to get 50M+. They would still need to sell Aouar for 45/50M to cover their losses and this season absence of European football.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Martinez to A.Villa for 19/20M & Torreira to Torino for 22M should pay Partey's release clause.
We're going to need both KSE to help a little and Lyon to do us a favour with installments if we want to get Aouar. Them selling Depay, Rafael and Traore means they're about to get 50M+. They would still need to sell Aouar for 45/50M to cover their losses and this season absence of European football.
To what extent is Partey necessary given how well Elneny has played? I've been blown away by how good he's been against Liverpool and Fulham; genuinely looks a completely different player from the one that went out on loan.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting. So you think Madrid or Bayern would go for Aubameyang over Kane right now?
Don't think this is even close - both would go for Auba over Kane. No chance Kane gets in ahead of Lewandowski or Benzema; both teams would be better off with Aubameyang to play inside left and also provide cover at the 9.

starman

As a out and out striker Kane is better than Auba, as is Auba better than Kane would be as a left forward.....
Auba is arguably better than Mane and Sterling, but there's not much in it

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s early days but I think Arteta is the real deal. He has them playing for each other and has changed the attitude and is working on changing the culture at the club.

The tactical flexibility he showed at the end of the season was very impressive too.

He has looked at the squad and prioritized what was needed and has brought in the necessary players on a budget and is now looking to sell so he can improve the midfield after getting in the essential RW and CBs.

It’s early days but they look a different prospect now and seem to be organised, together and gaining momentum.

I think they are going to be right in the top 4 mix.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
To what extent is Partey necessary given how well Elneny has played? I've been blown away by how good he's been against Liverpool and Fulham; genuinely looks a completely different player from the one that went out on loan.
I'd prefer Aouar over Partey but Arteta probably wants somebody to help Xhaka or an alternative to him. When he doesn't play we completely collapse. It's a bit too hopeful to think Elneny will have more than a part-time role this season.

ArseHat

Elneny has done well thus far, but to realistically challenge for top 4, he shouldn't be more than a squad player. He keeps it simple, works hard for team, and doesn't kick up a fuss, so he's useful for squad depth, which tbf, is more than what most Arsenal supporters would have asked from him coming into this season, considering many wanted him sold.

However, it'd be foolish to think he'll be a difference maker that can take the midfield up a level based on what he's shown throughout his Arsenal tenure. Partey's been a key contributor, in a top team, who's performed at the highest level in the biggest games, something Elneny has never been, so there really is no comparison in terms of quality.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Elneny has been very good since coming back but I think that is the current system suits his style of play. His short quick passing has always been very good and he is a very mobile player as well. Partey imo is on another level, superb at winning the ball higher up the pitch and also great at carrying the ball well. His passing in the few years has really improved as well, especially at making quick long passes from deep.

We need to get a lot better at being more mobile and aggressive higher up the pitch if we want to take our attacking game to the next level. I think this is why many Arsenal fans think we need two CMs this summer to really take us up another level.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Elneny has played all of 2 competitive games for us since coming back from loan. To rely on him as a starter for the rest of the season based on 2 good games is surely reckless. That’s the kind of thing Wenger used to do hoping that players would stay fit and purple patches would last forever.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Elneny has been very good since coming back but I think that is the current system suits his style of play. His short quick passing has always been very good and he is a very mobile player as well. Partey imo is on another level, superb at winning the ball higher up the pitch and also great at carrying the ball well. His passing in the few years has really improved as well, especially at making quick long passes from deep.

We need to get a lot better at being more mobile and aggressive higher up the pitch if we want to take our attacking game to the next level. I think this is why many Arsenal fans think we need two CMs this summer to really take us up another level.
Agree. Though not so bullish on Partey. I remember reading a statistical analysis of his play in the last season which didn't suggest he would bring the level required to our midfield. Essentially a step up from what we have bu that's about it. Not sure if that's worth spunking that amount.

We've needed a creative force for an age now. Mesut's last good season was 3 years ago, and while Arteta's current system works in that it's inventie enough to distribute that responsibility and reliance largely to the wings, it will be imperative to find someone who can make the difference in the tight central areas.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Comparing strikers is usually an exercise in futility. Clearly, some are better than others but arguing whether Kane is better than Aubameyang or otherwise boils down to personal opinion often prejudiced according to one’s club loyalties. You might compare stats like goals per game but that’s just one variable. Another might be the relative quality of the players in your team. For me, as an Arsenal fan, re-signing Aubameyang was vital to ensure not only that we retain a potent threat in front of goal but to demonstrate our ambition if we are to be successful in attracting quality players. I do feel optimistic given the impact Arteta has had in such a short time. My hope for the season is to be competitive for a top 4 place and if we can add another trophy, that would be great. But bottom line, I want to see continued progress and if all else fails, I’d settle for beating Spurs home and away. I’m old enough to be realistic.

RashyForPM

I was just about to praise Arteta and Arsenal, but not anymore after reading through this thread. Some of the delusion by the resident gooners is staggering. Apparently, comparing Auba to Kane is now nigh on sacrilege.

So irritating. Frankly, they are why I can never warm even slightly to Arsenal.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I was just about to praise Arteta and Arsenal, but not anymore after reading through this thread. Some of the delusion by the resident gooners is staggering. Apparently, comparing Auba to Kane is now nigh on sacrilege.

So irritating. Frankly, they are why I can never warm even slightly to Arsenal.
Other than one newbie (Topgun) who is arguing that?

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
It’s early days but I think Arteta is the real deal. He has them playing for each other and has changed the attitude and is working on changing the culture at the club.

The tactical flexibility he showed at the end of the season was very impressive too.

He has looked at the squad and prioritized what was needed and has brought in the necessary players on a budget and is now looking to sell so he can improve the midfield after getting in the essential RW and CBs.

It’s early days but they look a different prospect now and seem to be organised, together and gaining momentum.

I think they are going to be right in the top 4 mix.

Arsenal's problem post Highbury was seldom the quality of their squad. It was always attitude and culture. Yes there were a few seasons where they sold their top players to finance transfers but that policy was solely because their attitude towards winning and hard work was piss poor. When a player like RVP leaves for Utd you know you've got a problem that's more than just squad related...it's ambition and culture. Arteta seems be taking the approach that if you work on those, the rest would follow along with good squad management (of which he's responsible for).

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Apologies for personally calling you out Donaldo, but it looks to me that you are laughing off any possible suggestion that Kane can be better than Aubameyang. I think that proves me right.
So the delusion you're complaining about is 2 posts in 5 pages?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal's problem post Highbury was seldom the quality of their squad. It was always attitude and culture. Yes there were a few seasons where they sold their top players to finance transfers but that policy was solely because their attitude towards winning and hard work was piss poor. When a player like RVP leaves for Utd you know you've got a problem that's more than just squad related...it's ambition and culture. Arteta seems be taking the approach that if you work on those, the rest would follow along with good squad management (of which he's responsible for).
Meh. Some attitudinal rot set in eventually but the far bigger problem was that Arsenal had a negative net spend on transfers between 2005-2013, a period that saw Chelsea and City emerge as massive spenders and United continue to spend significant sums. Wenger did well to unearth and develop cheap gems for a while but that was never going to get Arsenal back to the very top when facing such a massive financial disadvantage. By the time we started spending money again (post 2014), Wenger was well past it and he made a series of terrible decisions in the transfer market and with squad management.