Arsenal 2020/21 - General Discussion

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I'd rather Arsenal were 1-0 down and not making many chances than 3 or 4 and making plenty. For years and years Arsenal have been criticised for conceding too many in big games and basically being out of contention from the first half. At Anfield Arsenal could have feasibly snatched a draw, same for City away. These are probably the two toughest fixtures in the whole league and many people's picks for top 2 this year.

Arteta, less than 12 months in charge, has already beaten Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Utd so I'm not too concerned about our approach in big games. The Etihad and Anfield aren't going to be where we challenge for top 4, Leicester at home and Old Trafford should be where we show if we're ready for top 4.
These away games are completely different as there are no fans. The statistics back that up.. I seriously can’t imagine Anfield, for instance, won’t be a lot more difficult to play at when fans are back in. The same goes for any stadium really.. even the Etihad, just about.

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
These away games are completely different as there are no fans. The statistics back that up.. I seriously can’t imagine Anfield, for instance, won’t be a lot more difficult to play at when fans are back in. The same goes for any stadium really.. even the Etihad, just about.
Either way, City and Liverpool are still probably the most difficult fixtures in the league.

Grande

They’re very one dimensional in the way they’re approaching these fixtures, and will invariably end up taking losses if they don’t offer more. They were completely placid for the final 20 mins yesterday.
You may be right about the future, I don’t know. They certainly haven’t invariable taken these losses you speak of in Arteta’s ten month stint, as evidenced by City, Chelsea and us. Certainly every team will take losses against top six opposition normally, including the League winners, and I guess Arteta’s Arsenal record in that respect is not worse than the other top four candidates, I’m pretty sure.

If this has now changed, and you spotted it, you’re welcome to say I told you so in a year or two. :)

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You may be right about the future, I don’t know. They certainly haven’t invariable taken these losses you speak of in Arteta’s ten month stint, as evidenced by City, Chelsea and us. Certainly every team will take losses against top six opposition normally, including the League winners, and I guess Arteta’s Arsenal record in that respect is not worse than the other top four candidates, I’m pretty sure.

If this has now changed, and you spotted it, you’re welcome to say I told you so in a year or two. :)
I think we are broadly agreeing. I do think Arsenal have improved in these big games, not least that they take to the pitch and show fortitude thanks to a proper tactical plan and players disciplined enough to carry the manager’s instructions out. Clearly they’ve also landed some good results in the past year too. But I just think that unless they evolve to show more forward intent that their victories will become sparser over time.

Grande

I think we are broadly agreeing. I do think Arsenal have improved in these big games, not least that they take to the pitch and show fortitude thanks to a proper tactical plan and players disciplined enough to carry the manager’s instructions out. Clearly they’ve also landed some good results in the past year too. But I just think that unless they evolve to show more forward intent that their victories will become sparser over time.
Well, were in the same ballpark then. Unlike David Luis. He’s never in the same ballpark for long. ;)

Sweet Square

Wasn't sure where to put this

Even as a United fan I miss Wenger in the league. Pure class

Robertd0803

At least we were able to eventually get rid of Sanchez before it got as messy as Ozils situation.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
The decision to completely leave him out of the squad makes no sense to me. He might be physically past his best, but he's got more creativity in his left foot than the rest of our midfielders combined.

Nogbadthebad

He's still getting £350K a week right?

Why would you not simply name him in the squad, he's going to be there all season anyway.

Its pettiness to the point of absurdity.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Arsene Wenger "the art of flying together, of taking off together"

Jose Mourinho " you have to act like c*nts. C*nts"

Grande

They clearly want him to leave and he’s not taking the hints so..

he shouldn't have stuck his nose in mascot business. feckin diabolical
The irony is that Gunnerosaurus and him both want to stay at the club whereas the club wants rid, and because of the contract situation Arsenal release Gunnerosaurus because they can spare a few bob, yet are stuck with a man who criticizes the club for that while bagging hundreds of thousands every week from the club.

There are only losers in this story. Only way to reddeem it is if Mesut dons the reptile suit and marries Gunnerosaurus to support him.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He's still getting £350K a week right?

Why would you not simply name him in the squad, he's going to be there all season anyway.

Its pettiness to the point of absurdity.
Not without playing he's not. 350k is including bonuses such as apperances and assist/goals. But he's probably getting 200/250k+ as his base salary.
It's a shame and i think just playing him in the groups of the EL and cup games would have been enough of a "punition". At least use him in some way.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

rvn in our current squad would make us title contenders overnight, we should have never sold him because of ronaldo, who himself fecked off after a couple of seasons.

Renegade

rvn in our current squad would make us title contenders overnight, we should have never sold him because of ronaldo, who himself fecked off after a couple of seasons.
We don’t sell him then that period off 06-09 doesn’t happen. Going fluid up top was a game changer for us. RVN is a legend though, no disputing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Nah, moving away from RvN was a good choice IMO. The attack got faster and more direct.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Honestly had to do a double take at some posters putting Arteta in top 5 in the manager ranking thread last week. :lol:

Arsenal will be same as usual, won't be near to top 4 (even with the state of this season) but could peak in one of the cup competitions as usual. Needs to be the europa for their finances.

They looked better to me in Emery's first season (last year was a complete train wreck from practically start to finish in the league).

Bottom half soon.

Brophs

The One and Only
Has Henry Winter done his "Arteta needs to be supported. He's one of the finest young managers in world football. Something something St. George's Park." tweet yet?

Judas

Open to offers
I'll take the piss out of them next weekend if we've beaten them, but knowing our bloody luck Pepe will remember he's a professional footballer and they'll somehow beat us.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly had to do a double take at some posters putting Arteta in top 5 in the manager ranking thread last week. :lol:

Arsenal will be same as usual, won't be near to top 4 (even with the state of this season) but could peak in one of the cup competitions as usual. Needs to be the europa for their finances.

They looked better to me in Emery's first season (last year was a complete train wreck from practically start to finish in the league).

Bottom half soon.
He shouldn't even be above Lampard and Ole let alone in the top 5:lol:

binary bot
They'll have been away to us, City and Liverpool by next week. Could still be a decent start when you factor in everyone else.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Bottom half soon.
He's Spanish, wears a Pep like sweater, gesticulates on the touchline a lot. Is it any wonder the Caf thinks he's great? Someone who wears a suit or tracksuit and behaves like a traditional manager on the touchline, will always be labelled as "unimaginative and safe" and what have you.

RashyForPM

Yeah but we got rid of RvN to unleash Ronaldo and Rooney, who won us the CL. Similarly, we got rid of Lukaku to “unleash” Rashford and Martial. Unfortunately, the former was an upgrade but the latter is an infinite downgrade.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just seen the other angle with Partey strolling off when Spurs counter. Has there ever been questions about his mentality? He gave the ball away cheaply earlier in the game and walked about after it. Just no urgency at all.

Looked really poor if I'm honest and zero commitment.

AshRK

Just seen the other angle with Partey strolling off when Spurs counter. Has there ever been questions about his mentality? He gave the ball away cheaply earlier in the game and walked about after it. Just no urgency at all.

He was never fit and was risked to be back playing this derby. Poor call by arteta.

el3mel

I think they fecked themselves up by the Willian signing. The way they play require players with flair and able to create something on their own, but they went on and signed a past it winger who was never someone who creates stuff from thin air and was always a functional player more or less even in his prime. Now they have to play him every game to justify his wages and fully depend on him creating stuff. They shot themselves in the foot with this business.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

To be fair to him he was playing on one leg and still looked a cut above anyone else in an Arsenal shirt. Seems crazy they rushed him back for this one, especially in retrospect.