Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
37 year Ronaldo is our top scorer with 18 goals whereas your young top scorer has 10. All the best with your young squad.
But that's part of your problem, no? You now have an over reliance on your 37 year old top scorer, which means the rest of the team is underperforming and its also not good for your mid term the fact you are having to rely on a 37 year old.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
They are on course for 75 points. If they can get that, that is a terrific points haul for them.

For context, no team besides city and Liverpool have managed that since 2018.

Becks00

As much as I hate to admit it, they really have got their house in order now. If they can solidify this level, and gradually improve on it over the next few seasons then they are on their way back up to where they used to be, even if it might me more difficult to win the league.

The United board better start getting their affairs in order though, I don't know about anyone else but the one team I hate the most when they are doing well is Arsenal, mainly because everyone around me are Arsenal fans and they really are not the humble type.

Thoroughly enjoyed the period between 06-13 when they went into Oblivion and Utd just kept on winning and winning. Even the last 9 years has been bearable mainly because we were still performing relatively better than them and they have for the most part been quiet. But now those voices are being found again, when they have achieved relatively nothing yet, I can not begin to imagine what it would be like should they start challenging again after this Pep/ Klopp cycle is over. Trust me City( at least there are not much of this around anyway) and Liverpool's fans gloating would be nothing compared to the Gunners.

Cloud7

They are on course for 75 points. If they can get that, that is a terrific points haul for them.

For context, no team besides city and Liverpool have managed that since 2018.
This is an embarrassing statistic for the other teams in question (United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal themselves prior to this season) considering the amount of money that these PL teams spend.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
This is an embarrassing statistic for the other teams in question (United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal themselves prior to this season) considering the amount of money that these PL teams spend.
Chelsea in particular. Their point tallies since they were last champions in 2017:
72 - 70 - 66 - 67

Verward

I'm not sure this is the winning point you think it is.
Well the point is signing Ronaldo has not put us in our current situation which I believe the poster was trying to imply. His point was just because Arsenal have younger squad they would be okay next season too and I was not buying that.
Though Arsenal current form is excellent and things are falling in place for them, I still do not think their overall play is that good.

Revaulx

I'm not sure this is the winning point you think it is.
:lol:

They seem to have massively improved their recruitment over the past couple of years. If they finish in the top four this season and get complacent I can see them really struggling next year with all the extra games. It will be very interesting to see how willing the owners are to continue spending big this summer.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
They’re making a lot of noise about being top four contenders, even leaping into third above Chelsea. But what this all amounts to is 2 or 3 players ( Marinelli, Saka & Smith-Rowe), who are in form atm, the rest of the team are nothing special.
Their best player right now is Odegaard. And they have easily one of the top 3 keepers in the PL. Their defence is rock solid. So far this season they have given away 121 corners but they remain the only team not to concede from a corner. Considering they are the youngest team under the youngest manager in the league, Arteta has really done a great job so far.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
They found god form at a very critical period of the season and are currently in a great position to finish 4th. Still, if they lose to Liverpool tomorrow, things may get interesting with them having to play at Villa a few days later. Arsenal are yet to play Chelsea and Tottenham away and United at home. Away fixtures at West Ham and Palace are likely to be difficult, too.

If Conte can motivate Spurs and conjure up some sort of a winning run it could put some serious pressure on Arsenal. United have the quality to do the same but like Spurs, they're too inconsistent. Still, it's not over yet and if Arsenal drop, say, five points this week the fourth spot race is back on.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Pretty amazing statistic really. It's definitely embarrassing and a testament to the mess the other clubs have put themselves in. But I think it also might demonstrate how difficult the league has become top to bottom. There aren't many easy fixtures these days. The quality of the teams in the 8-13 region of the table, in particular, is way higher than it was 10 years ago. You have a club like Villa that is solidly midtable and yet will roll out a lineup with Coutinho, Ings, McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia, Digne, Martinez - all very good players that big clubs might realistically look at. Or clubs like Soton and Brighton that have a bit less talent but are just really well coached in a hyper aggressive style that will completely disrupt your game if you're not sharp. Its not the PL of yesteryear when the bottom 10-12 sides had relatively little talent and they all played 4-4-2 and just tried to defend and hit you on the counter or score off set pieces.

The only managers who've really figured out how to solve this evolution of the PL and create teams that can win consistently are Pep and Klopp.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It only shows how impressive City and Liverpool are. The league is getting more difficult and no easy game there. So it is normal teams are getting less points than before.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Their defence is rock solid.
Funny how things change in just a month.
They have 54 points and have 7 games left, the only way they can get 75 points now is by winning every single remaining game.
Their defense has conceded 37 goals and will almost certainly concede more goals than last season.

Xanther

You've got to really feel for Arsenal here, banter aside. This was their one chance to play CL football again after so long and they've lost it, again. Next season they have to struggle to not only do as well (?) as they did this season, but additionally also have to contend with (1) a full season of Conte and (2) whatever positive effect ten Hag has on Utd.

Pep and City, Klopp and Liverpool, Tuchel and Chelsea, Conte and Spurs, ten Hag and Utd. That's 5 big coaches ahead of them. If ETH is even remotely good next year, Arsenal will finish maximum 6th again.

Humiliation

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
You've got to really feel for Arsenal here, banter aside. This was their one chance to play CL football again after so long and they've lost it, again. Next season they have to struggle to not only do as well (?) as they did this season, but additionally also have to contend with (1) a full season of Conte and (2) whatever positive effect ten Hag has on Utd.

Pep and City, Klopp and Liverpool, Tuchel and Chelsea, Conte and Spurs, ten Hag and Utd. That's 5 big coaches ahead of them. If ETH is even remotely good next year, Arsenal will finish maximum 6th again.

Humiliation
Lots of variables here, if ETH does well, I really see him needing more than 1 window to fix some of the problems with United's squad. And if there are sweeping changes and a change of style will take some adaptation time for the new players and team in general.

Conte could implode at Spurs at any given moment, if Levy does not sufficiently back him in the xfer window expect fireworks. Especially now they have secured CL money, he will want his targets brought in, and a clear out of the players he does not see as part of his project moving forward. If he does not get that ........

Chelsea in a bit of a state of flux, I don't see them getting the kind of backing from their new owners as the Abramovich era brought. I don't see it being as bad as the Kroenke's at Arsenal but will it be on the same kind of level as Abramovich? I have my doubts.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Did they really extend el Neny's contract? :houllier:
Why wouldnt we extend a low cost, depth midfield option that is more than capable of rotating in the cups games ?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Why wouldnt we extend a low cost, depth midfield option that is more than capable of rotating in the cups games ?
Agree. Next give Xhaka a new contract and Arteta a life-long deal.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Arsenal with a young, motivated squad on the up. Liverpool with an aging, tired squad on he way down.

Who does the caf reckons will win a league title next out of the two of them?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’d be surprised if you’d have done that if you got CL. The unfortunate thing with EL instead of CL is that you can’t attract as good players and thus some people that you’d have let go need to be kept to give that depth.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Arsenal with a young, motivated squad on the up. Liverpool with an aging, tired squad on he way down.

Arsenal look miles away from a title to me. We’ll probably challenge again next season.

AshRK

Humiliation
Won't be surprised if Newcastle also pip them. Let us not forget they are back in europe so they won't have the extra comfort of one game per week.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I’d be surprised if you’d have done that if you got CL. The unfortunate thing with EL instead of CL is that you can’t attract as good players and thus some people that you’d have let go need to be kept to give that depth.
Disagree. Out of him, Nketiah and Lacazette, he was the one getting resigned wherever we finished. As i said he's completely happy playing very few games on unconsequential wages.
Had we finished in the CL we probably would have signed a bigger caliber of player but still kept him around and sent Lokonga on loan.

Charles Miller

Mark my words, you reverse-jinxed them with this thread. How many times it happened here? Always happens.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Humiliation
United fans would love to think that. Whatever it takes to distract you from a 58 point season I guess.

I see no reason why this would be our one chance to play CL football again. Neither Spurs nor Chelsea are all that better positioned than Arsenal going forward when you look at financial models and while both have more talent right now we have a good young core. Nobody knows what will happen with United. They have the wealth to be in the top tier but a long way to go in terms of changing many different aspects of the club.

There are few guarantees in football and lots of surprising outcomes.

Ultimately, it was a disappointing end to the season but also plenty of reason for optimism going forward.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
United fans would love to think that. Whatever it takes to distract you from a 58 point season I guess.

I see no reason why this would be our one chance to play CL football again. Neither Spurs nor Chelsea are all that better positioned than Arsenal going forward when you look at financial models and while both have more talent right now we have a good young core. Nobody knows what will happen with United. They have the wealth to be in the top tier but a long way to go in terms of changing many different aspects of the club.

Ultimately, it was a disappointing end to the season but also plenty of reason for optimism going forward.
Arsenal simply aren’t better positioned than Spurs or Chelsea when it comes down to managers or players, the financial aspect is secondary to those. United might be rubbish or great next season, like you say who knows. We may have a long way to go, but thankfully we have played Champions League football since 2017.

Eddy_JukeZ

Arsenal aren't even close to Liverpool.

I think it'd be somewhat of a failure if we don't surpass Arsenal next season.

Kaushal

Mate, we both finished in Europa league places despite us having literally our worst season in the premier league history and you lot had one of your best in recent years and are supposedly on the up. Atleast we know a 6th place for us is two managers sackworthy rather than your lot of finishing 8th, 8th and 5th under the same manager and still full of optimism. The feck you are gloating at ?

Last edited:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal simply aren’t better positioned than Spurs or Chelsea when it comes down to managers or players, the financial aspect is secondary to those. United might be rubbish or great next season, like you say who knows. We may have a long way to go, but thankfully we have played Champions League football since 2017.
They have better managers right now but managers come and go pretty quickly. Probably all three sides will have different managers in a few years, its football.

I think both sides also have better players right now, but they also have older players and there's not much reason to really think they'll have better players in 2-4 years given the financial parity between the three in a post-Roman world.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Humiliation
Always love these posts. We've no idea what any club is going to do in the summer yet transfer wise, no idea how players will settle, no idea how new managers settle, if new regimes will come in, how teams respond to new ideas, how the world cup will affect things, but we can confidently predict already that Arsenal aren't going to have any chance of doing better than this year, just like everyone confidently predicted we'd be nowhere near top 4 this season.

And to top it all down off, ends with the word humiliation to describe a 6th place finish that Utd were actually lucky to finish in yesterday.

All banter aside and that. ;)

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They conceded 48 goals, their defense is not "rock solid."
Agreed. As a caveat though, the first choice defence played 10 games together all season. So they need to either find a way of keeping guys like Tierney & Tomiyasu fit, or we need much better alternatives than the likes of Cedric & Tavares.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Disagree. Out of him, Nketiah and Lacazette, he was the one getting resigned wherever we finished. As i said he's completely happy playing very few games on unconsequential wages.
Had we finished in the CL we probably would have signed a bigger caliber of player but still kept him around and sent Lokonga on loan.
Will have to agree to disagree. He’s shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.