Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I see, thanks. I wonder if there was any chance they could've signed him or did Arsenal just not think he was good enough after 2 years and didn't even bother trying? I guess they wouldn't have been able to sign both Odegaard and Ceballos from Madrid at the same time so maybe it came down to one or t'other.
Think both parties decided it would be for the best. Don't think Ceballos particularly likes or is suited to English football. He was happy to return back to Spain in the end. If he doesn't make it at Real, can see him ending up at Betis, he seems to have a lot of affection for them.

dinostar77

Apparently none of this summers signings were artetas choice. Edu and richard garlick decided on all the signings. Going with the european model where the coach is responsible for coaching the players selected by the club.

Dunno what that says about artetas future.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Apparently none of this summers signings were artetas choice. Edu and richard garlick decided on all the signings. Going with the european model where the coach is responsible for coaching the players selected by the club.

No wonder him and Emery didn't get along.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

That's strange, because he name checks talking to Kompany when talking about Lokonga, he always talks up Odegaard, & the talk was that it was Arteta who pushed for Tomiyasu.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

But they did change Arteta's role to a manager from a coach after the FA cup win. I don't know what the above means in this context.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Where did you read that ?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

Arteta happy not to rock the boat maybe. Not too sure that would be the case if Conte was at Arsenal and this was the approach they adopted.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

I wonder what's behind the "apparently".. as I heard the exact opposite, with Arteta having surprisingly much say and power at the club, in the structure and also over transfers, considering his lack of experience and accomplishments, due to the weakness of board and DoF positions.
So I'd kind of call BS on your post.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

Eh? Most of them look like patent Arteta signings
Ben White: Stones lite
Ramsdale: Ederson lite
Takehiro Tomiyaso: Zinchenko lite
Lokonga: A little unpep like, but Arteta name dropped the Kompany connection
Odegaard: This is the only player that could be a non Arteta one, also the one I hold out most hope for
Tavares: Attack minded backup LB, most probably Arteta.

tomaldinho1

Eh? Most of them look like patent Arteta signings
Ben White: Stones lite
Ramsdale: Ederson lite
Takehiro Tomiyaso: Zinchenko lite
Lokonga: A little unpep like, but Arteta name dropped the Kompany connection
Odegaard: This is the only player that could be a non Arteta one, also the one I hold out most hope for
Tavares: Attack minded backup LB, most probably Arteta.
The double-edged beauty of Kroenke's model is that I doubt Arteta gets a real say in anything because he's just lucky to be in that seat. He is completely underqualified. Supposedly, his job is solely to coach and he's never going to challenge the system - he wouldn't get a job anywhere near as a big as Arsenal and he's probably a lot cheaper than some of the big name coaches around.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
The double-edged beauty of Kroenke's model is that I doubt Arteta gets a real say in anything because he's just lucky to be in that seat. He is completely underqualified. Supposedly, his job is solely to coach and he's never going to challenge the system - he wouldn't get a job anywhere near as a big as Arsenal and he's probably a lot cheaper than some of the big name coaches around.
We're yet to hear where @dinostar77 heard or read that. Every online publication of the last few days clearly states that Arteta chose Ramsdale, White and Tomiyasu. There is plenty of stuff to bash him with, no need to add made-up fantasies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure how that's true either, why would the change his job title from Head Coach to First Team Manager if it wasn't to give him more of a role & a say going forward?

tomaldinho1

Not sure how that's true either, why would the change his job title from Head Coach to First Team Manager if it wasn't to give him more of a role & a say going forward?
Interesting article on Sky with Edu today on this. Sounds very much like Arteta can’t go over Edu in terms of recruitment from what I could tell?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If you spend 150 million in a transfer window, especially with no European football and finite resources, there should be a visible and indisputable difference in the quality of your first team.

Right now, at present, there is no certain quality in that list of names. No one who definitely, indisputably makes them a better team (although statistics suggest that Odegaard might)

In their position, playing catch up, they needed 3 quality players that would have instantly improved their first team.

They could have kept Odegaard as their main signing, kept Saliba and brought in Zouma, Neves and Abraham for the same money they paid on the other players.

It’s not a good window. They have overpaid for White, overpaid for a keeper with a ton of question marks over his quality, brought in a fullback who Portuguese posters claim could be laughably bad and signed a right back when they already had 3 at the club.

Absolutely nothing to suggest that Leno, Bellerin, Saliba, Guendouzi and Maitland Niles/Cedric (who can play RB or LB) wouldn’t have been just as useful as Ramsdale, White, Tomiyasu, Lokonga and Tavares.

They would have to be significantly better to justify a 150 million transfer spend. It’s a massive, massive gamble when more tried and tested options were readily available.

Rojofiam

If you spend 150 million in a transfer window, especially with no European football and finite resources, there should be a visible and indisputable difference in the quality of your first team.

Right now, at present, there is no certain quality in that list of names. No one who definitely, indisputably makes them a better team (although statistics suggest that Odegaard might)

In their position, playing catch up, they needed 3 quality players that would have instantly improved their first team.

They could have kept Odegaard as their main signing, kept Saliba and brought in Zouma, Neves and Abraham for the same money they paid on the other players.

It’s not a good window. They have overpaid for White, overpaid for a keeper with a ton of question marks over his quality, brought in a fullback who Portuguese posters claim could be laughably bad and signed a right back when they already had 3 at the club.

Absolutely nothing to suggest that Leno, Bellerin, Saliba, Guendouzi and Maitland Niles/Cedric (who can play RB or LB) wouldn’t have been just as useful as Ramsdale, White, Tomiyasu, Lokonga and Tavares.

They would have to be significantly better to justify a 150 million transfer spend. It’s a massive, massive gamble when more tried and tested options were readily available.
Leno is shit. Would take Ramsdale over him. Odegaard was their main source for creativity last season and they got him for a good price, definitely gonna improve them a lot.

Agree about Abraham, they should've bought him.

I don't think you should write off their signings, though, as the transfer window ended 4 days ago. They still have a long way to go before they can become a consistent top 4 team again, but most people so quick to draw conclusions (same with Ole and United), just because they lost their first 3 games. If they had 9 points now most people would be saying "wow, it's finally clicking for them it seems" :lol:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Edu said:
I don't want to go for top four or top six or top eight or top 10. I'm just really looking forward to seeing this squad play together. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone fit.
Oh...

Maluco

Leno is shit. Would take Ramsdale over him. Odegaard was their main source for creativity last season and they got him for a good price, definitely gonna improve them a lot.

Agree about Abraham, they should've bought him.

I don't think you should write off their signings, though, as the transfer window ended 4 days ago. They still have a long way to go before they can become a consistent top 4 team again, but most people so quick to draw conclusions (same with Ole and United), just because they lost their first 3 games. If they had 9 points now most people would be saying "wow, it's finally clicking for them it seems" :lol:
I am not writing them off at all, but it’s an extremely risky window when they are already behind. West Ham, Leicester and Spurs are all signing players of higher quality and reputation.

There is every chance that this 150 million doesn’t improve them that much.

Even Odegaard, who makes their team function better, doesn’t have the numbers to suggest he can be their key playmaker. I think he is a good player, but if he is the closest they have to a safe bet, it’s so risky when you consider where they are.

There is every chance that Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Spurs could finish above them this season. They needed guaranteed quality, and what they have bought is pot luck.

Zoo

Don’t think that’s true. Arteta insisted on signing Aaron Ramsdale.

adkb

This interview was very much Levy like after the ESL fiasco. He said all the right things that the fans would want to hear, he spoke about calming the boat etc etc.

Both the london clubs have signed a fair bit of players. So its really very interesting to see how the season pans out for both of them. It does appear that getting Nuno was a good decision, but again 3 matches hardly tells us the story. I fully expect Arsenal to go on a run of games which will instil a belief. They have the mindset to get a few wins for sure, but again seeing the man management fiasco and over all bad luck, the media will be prepared to pile pressure on their board and the fans.

All this with Arsenal fan TV lighting it up in the back seems like a feisty season!

Reactions: Cheimoon

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
This interview was very much Levy like after the ESL fiasco. He said all the right things that the fans would want to hear, he spoke about calming the boat etc etc.

Both the london clubs have signed a fair bit of players. So its really very interesting to see how the season pans out for both of them. It does appear that getting Nuno was a good decision, but again 3 matches hardly tells us the story. I fully expect Arsenal to go on a run of games which will instil a belief. They have the mindset to get a few wins for sure, but again seeing the man management fiasco and over all bad luck, the media will be prepared to pile pressure on their board and the fans.
You fully expect that? Or is that opinion based on their history?

We have to be honest with ourselves. They are leagues below City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

They are not as good as Spurs, Leicester and maybe even Villa at this point.

They are most likely at Wolves/Everton level.

That’s name checking 9 teams. So while their expectations are top 6. They finished last season where they are currently at, top 10. That doesn’t suggest to me they’ll ever go on a run the way they used to under wenger.

As for mindset.. it’s their weakest attribute. I’ve seen fans on here saying Odegaard is a leader. If a 23 y/o is a leader in a room with international players.. it doesn’t look good.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

We have to be honest with ourselves. They are leagues below City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

That’s name checking 9 teams. So while their expectations are top 6. They finished last season where they are currently at, top 10. That doesn’t suggest to me they’ll ever go on a run the way they used to under wenger.

As for mindset.. it’s their weakest attribute. I’ve seen fans on here saying Odegaard is a leader. If a 23 y/o is a leader in a room with international players.. it doesn’t look good.
We managed to do it to a certain extent the 2nd half of last season. So with players returning from injury & Covid, it's not beyond the realms of imagination they manage to go on a decent run now.

romufc

I think everyone is jumping the gun a little on Arsenal. Brentford first came you could lose, City were always going to smash Arsenal, City have the ability to give any team a battering. With such a think squad, they have not been able to field their best defence or attack.

Once Gabriel, White, Tierney, Partey, Auby are fit, they will be a top half team.

romufc

You make it sound like a compliment, but that's absolutely embarrassing for a club like Arsenal.
I mean you have to consolidate for a season or two to build. Understanding where you are. Quite a few of United fans after Jose knew it wasnt a quick fx and we were not competitive and built the squad back up.

The only thing I can say, Arsenal don't actually know what they want to do. They should really be building for 2/3 years down the line.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
The only thing I can say, Arsenal don't actually know what they want to do. They should really be building for 2/3 years down the line.
Isn't it exactly what they are doing ?

adkb

You are right they are going to face pressure when facing those teams but this is EPL. We faced them twice and couldnt get 3 points on either days. Some on here were dreading meeting them in the EL final. All this because they still do have a team once all the players are back. I am not saying they will be top 4 but they will certainly get a bit of momentum in the coming weeks. The question is if the manager can rally the troops which is a big question knowing his man management skills overall!

Edit- Spell check

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I mean you have to consolidate for a season or two to build. Understanding where you are. Quite a few of United fans after Jose knew it wasnt a quick fx and we were not competitive and built the squad back up.

It's funny how at clubs that know what they're doing and hire truly top class managers, they're able to turn their fortunes around within half a season or so. Whereas at clubs like Arsenal and United the rebuilds take a billion quid and years upon years.

Take Chelsea last year under Frank, it was process, rebuild, squad gelling and then in comes Tuchel, a truly top class manager and what do you know they didn't need to use any of those excuses.

Maluco

People are acting like they had absolutely nothing and needed to rebuild from scratch. They just had a duff manager!

Before the window, they had Gabriel, Tierney, Saka, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe, Ozil, Smith Rowe, and even decent squad players like Maitland-Niles, Nketiah, Xhaka, Bellerin.

What they needed was 3 top players to make the first eleven strong and a good coach to get the best out of what they had.

They brought in zero guarantees of quality despite spending 150 million in a Covid window. That’s not good enough.

One of the lads on Tifo said it right. If this was FM, you would be switching it off and redoing that window. Going out and getting Zouma, Abraham and a proper midfielder to play with Partey.

They are letting Edu and Arteta lower expectations and waste resources. They should act soon.

It’s been bungled and despite having a bigger squad, their first team isn’t much better than it was

Amarsdd

It's funny how at clubs that know what they're doing and hire truly top class managers, they're able to turn their fortunes around within half a season or so. Whereas at clubs like Arsenal and United the rebuilds take a billion quid and years upon years.

Take Chelsea last year under Frank, it was process, rebuild, squad gelling and then in comes Tuchel, a truly top class manager and what do you know they didn't need to use any of those excuses.
You're kinda ignoring a lot of context here. You're talking as if Tuchel took over a squad like Arsenal's current squad or United's squad at the end of Jose and then won everything with it. He took over a squad which was supposed to be a title-contending squad last season which Lampard failed with horribly. Its not at all the same as the job Ole had in hand after Jose and the job he has done, or even the job Arteta has in hand right now.

romufc

It's funny to you is it?

Chelsea are the only club who can do this, its a system that works for them. No other club has been able to do this, so I don't know where the joke is in this.

United, Arsenal, Liverpool and clubs that are not oil backed cannot spend £250m in a window.

So Tuchel is truly a top class manager? What because he has won the CL? Di Matteo won it in 6 months too, is he a truly top class manager?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's funny to you is it?

Chelsea are the only club who can do this, its a system that works for them. No other club has been able to do this, so I don't know where the joke is in this.

United, Arsenal, Liverpool and clubs that are not oil backed cannot spend £250m in a window.

So Tuchel is truly a top class manager? What because he has won the CL? Di Matteo won it in 6 months too, is he a truly top class manager?
And the more important thing is, as a squad Chelsea were probably the 2nd strongest in the league. The biggest issue with lampard was defensive transitions where they were among the worst sides in the league. Apart from that they were pretty good even under Lampard - literally every underlying stat points to that.

What Tuchel has done is a great job, but saying that he turned around their fortune is a bit of a stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.