Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So that’s Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Sanchez and Auba all going on fees from the club..

Anyone who doesn’t see this as staggering mismanagement is deluded!
Ozil was 30+ and done and went to Fenerbache and done nothing since, Ramsey was a feck up because Raul withdrew his contract that was agreed with Ramsey, Wilshere was a crock and done nothing since, Sanchez we should have sold to City, but we did swap with Mkhitaryan and no one came out of that deal good and Utd had to pay him to leave , and Auba will soon be 33, out of form and on giant wages.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sorry no. I didn't mean that. Officer.
As you are.

Ozil was 30+ and done and went to Fenerbache and done nothing since, Ramsey was a feck up because Raul withdrew his contract that was agreed with Ramsey, Wilshere was a crock and done nothing since, Sanchez we should have sold to City, but we did swap with Mkhitaryan and no one came out of that deal good and Utd had to pay him to leave , and Auba will soon be 33, out of form and on giant wages.
So you’re happy with all of that then? Seriously? Good management from the club?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
As you are.

So you’re happy with all of that then? Seriously? Good management from the club?
No, I'm not happy with Sanchez, we should have took the £60M offered and not swapped him for a shit Mkhitaryan. And I'm not happy with losing Ramsey still in his prime when we had agreed a deal for a new contract.

But Ozil & Auba would be like saying City should get a fee for the likes of Aguero or Utd for Sanchez. And Wilshere was done unfortunately, he had been a crock for years, he left, and was still a crock.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Of course you should be happy to move on players who are not contributing, the issue is why are there all these non-contributing players at the club, especially 'high-level' players.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He doesn't really need to for the foreseeable. We've got 2 games in February & 3 in March scheduled just now.
I think "next season, which is eight months from now" counts as the foreseeable future. I'm not sure why it wouldn't. Can you not 'foresee' that Arsenal will play in the EL or even CL in eight months?

Cloud7

That “All or Nothing” documentary just keeps getting better and better

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think "next season, which is eight months from now" counts as the foreseeable future. I'm not sure why it wouldn't. Can you not 'foresee' that Arsenal will play in the EL or even CL in eight months?
Im counting the foreseeable as to the end of the season, as that's when he has this squad of players until.

Then there is a summer transfer window, where the squad will change a lot again. Come the end of that window would be the more appropriate time to analyse the squad for next season, no?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Im counting the foreseeable as to the end of the season, as that's when he has this squad of players until.

Then there is a summer transfer window, where the squad will change a lot again. Come the end of that window would be the more appropriate time to analyse the squad for next season, no?
And then, as the squad will have "changed a lot again", it's only fair to wait another few months before judging, until Arteta has had time to integrate those of the new players he's able to work with.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Do players lose all their value at 25?
Yes, players in their prime command huge wages and also drop off at the tail end of their contracts. They lose most of their value by age 25. I mean you've mentioned Sanchez, heh. I see getting rid of him as nothing but a win.

AshRK

I don't think losing auba should be a big deal. It's just the timing of it is a bit weird. Not replacing him with another striker is a bad move. Top 4 is still up for grabs and it's not like they have other forwards doing wonders. I may be wrong but feel Arteta never used auba to his potential. There were games he was playing as a lwb, that is just not going to work. I feel arteta could have used him as a proper number 9 and he could have got more from him. I can see him scoring for Barca again.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
And then, as the squad will have "changed a lot again", it's only fair to wait another few months before judging, until Arteta has had time to integrate those of the new players he's able to work with.
To be honest, for the first XI you are probably talking about a more permanent partner for Partey and a starting striker. The rest to improve the depth.

And just because not all fans aren't calling for his head yet (there's plenty that are), doesn't mean Arteta isn't constantly judged. I think you forget that this isn't Bayern in the Bundesliga. We've no divine right to challenge for leagues. There's now a good few clubs that make more money than us, and that have historically spent more than us, both on wages and players. Now we need to add the latest richest owners on the planet in the mix. We certainly shouldn't be happy finishing 8th in leagues I grant you, but unfortunately the landscape has changed dramatically since our last glory days.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes, players in their prime command huge wages and also drop off at the tail end of their contracts. They lose most of their value by age 25. I mean you've mentioned Sanchez, heh. I see getting rid of him as nothing but a win.
Solid business model by you then.

Give all your best players long expensive contracts then allow them to leave for free when then reach the age of 25 or above.

Liverpool are missing a trick negotiating with Salah. Should be let go on a free. No wonder Arsenal have been so successful of late.

Masterclass!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Solid business model by you then.

Give all your best players long expensive contracts then allow them to leave for free when then reach the age of 25 or above.

Liverpool are missing a trick negotiating with Salah. Should be let go on a free. No wonder Arsenal have been so successful of late.

Masterclass!
Here's a question for you, say they tie Salah down for 3 or 4 years, and he gets to 34 on £400k a week, and his performances dip. Do you think theyll be bothered if they don't get a transfer fee for him by then?

Siezard

Aubameyang is a prolific goalscorer but his link up play is usually poor so he doesn't contribute a lot to the team. Also, there are numerous examples of poor attitude shown by Auba on and off the field.

Without Auba, Arsenal will be weaker in attack. I don't see how Nketiah or Pepe can be better than Auba and Gabriel Martinelli has played more of a winger role these past few months so it will be weird to slot him as striker centre again. Of course, there's Lacazette who is great at scoring but seems to lack the speed or the aggression to fight for headers. It will take time, at least 6 months, for Arsenal players to grow. Arsenal also lacks ambition. It's like they know they won't get into top 4 and they are just happy getting back to Europe with a top 6 finish.

On the financial side, Arsenal probably save around 15-20 mil by releasing Auba earlier. Arsenal has a decent squad but that's not playing to their full potential by the manager.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta is like a Rasputin type character with the board he’s done something to have a hold over them to the point where they will overlook any failure of his. Anyone else would have been sacked by now but Arteta keeps plodding on, falling out with players and behaving like a poundland Mourinho. Think we really missed out by not replacing him with Conte.

BorisManUtd

Arteta is like a Rasputin type character with the board he’s done something to have a hold over them to the point where they will overlook any failure of his. Anyone else would have been sacked by now but Arteta keeps plodding on, falling out with players and behaving like a poundland Mourinho. Think we really missed out by not replacing him with Conte.
I don't think you lose much by keeping Arteta until (at least) summer. Out of cups, 17 games to go in the Prem, that's like 4 games a month, top 4 is possible, though Tottenham are favourites for that 4th place. If you finish in the top 4, that's a success. If you finish out of top 6, that's a failure. 5th or 6th place would guarantee European football next season and that may be enough for your board to keep him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Here's a question for you, say they tie Salah down for 3 or 4 years, and he gets to 34 on £400k a week, and his performances dip. Do you think theyll be bothered if they don't get a transfer fee for him by then?
Apparently you’ve paid him 5m by the way…

Haven’t actually saved anything really

Nickelodeon

I think this might be the last “oldie” to earn massive wages from Arsenal. Think they’ve burned enough and will have learnt now.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
+ transfer market value £15

= saving of 5m

Well done
See my post in the Aubameyang thread. A transfer market value of £15M means absolutely nothing if no-one is going to offer you £15M.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I’m all for kicking Arsenal when the situation arises, but transfermarkt is a random online blog updated by volunteers. It’s hardly a beacon of truth or scientific.

Getting rid of Auba is a good move but paying him £7m was a bit silly.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I’m all for kicking Arsenal when the situation arises, but transfermarkt is a random online blog updated by volunteers. It’s hardly a beacon of truth or scientific.

Seems a necessary evil Arsenal had to compromise to to help out due to Barca's wage restrictions this season unfortunately.

mu4c_20le

Seems a necessary evil Arsenal had to compromise to to help out due to Barca's wage restrictions this season unfortunately.
If you weren't going to use him then its probably for the best. A bit like our situation with Sanchez, except I'm not sure if he's done just yet, because I find it hard to believe that he would be worse than Lacazette and his 3 goals.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

I mean he's already leaving a lot of money on the table. He's not a charity either, could have chosen to stay put and pocket his wages doing nothing but cruising around London in his Ferraris and Lambos.
Even next season when La Liga gives Barcelona more wiggle room he probably won't make up the whole sum he'd have gotten if he stayed.
I wonder about that 2023 exit clause though, both him and the club could find a use for it. In the end 7M> 25M + getting asked about Aubameyang's absence every press conference for 2 years.

TheReligion

Abusive

This may well be true however I find it odd how it’s being accepted he had literally zero transfer value.

Arsenal have lost his value plus this pay out.

It’s not the great money saving piece of business being painted out at all. Not to mention a weaker squad.

Chairman Steve

It seems nuts to not replace Aubameyang. I totally get why they want to get rid but it leaves Arsenal very light up front.

I know they basically have just league games now so reduces the need to rotate and has less pressure on the squad, but a bad injury to Lacazette leaves them having to use Nketiah… a player who looks more suited to being a good Championship striker or a half decent lower end Premier League team striker.

And both guys are out of contract in the summer, so they could be jobsworth as feck about it and not perform because they know they’ve got something lined up on the side.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It seems nuts to not replace Aubameyang. I totally get why they want to get rid but it leaves Arsenal very light up front.

I know they basically have just league games now so reduces the need to rotate and has less pressure on the squad, but a bad injury to Lacazette leaves them having to use Nketiah… a player who looks more suited to being a good Championship striker or a half decent lower end Premier League team striker.

And both guys are out of contract in the summer, so they could be jobsworth as feck about it and not perform because they know they’ve got something lined up on the side.
I agree, it's a big gamble. Doesn't see a massive list of players out there who are available in January mind you. They evidently tried for Vlahovic. Any other names that spring out to anyone?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This may well be true however I find it odd how it’s being accepted he had literally zero transfer value.

Arsenal have lost his value plus this pay out.

It’s not the great money saving piece of business being painted out at all. Not to mention a weaker squad.
I doubt he’d have gone for £15m though on those wages. The only ‘value’ Arsenal would have lost is the book value, similar to how we valued Mkhitaryan at £25m in the swap deal for Sanchez. It’s just a figure in the accounts, with no actual value or transfer of value taking place.

I think it’s a good decision by Arsenal overall however as they’ll make a big saving on the wages as well as removing a difficult and troublesome figure from the club. The real issue was giving him that contract in the first place.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

They wanted Vlahovic. I'm not sure who else they were linked with. I saw rumours about Watkins but that's it.

They're looking for a first choice striker. One that will potentially be leading the line for years. If they couldn't get Vlahovic or Watkins, it's probably best to wait for the summer and try again rather than going for a second rate player who happens to be available now.

cyberman

They wanted Vlahovic. I'm not sure who else they were linked with. I saw rumours about Watkins but that's it.

They're looking for a first choice striker. One that will potentially be leading the line for years. If they couldn't get Vlahovic or Watkins, it's probably best to wait for the summer and try again rather than going for a second rate player who happens to be available now.
They need at least 3 strikers though? Nothing stopping them from getting a future rotation striker in now to help them get top 4

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They need at least 3 strikers though? Nothing stopping them from getting a future rotation striker in now to help them get top 4
But it has to be the right players though. January isn't an easy window to find good deals in. Most players who are worth their salt aren't being let go by their clubs without a fight.

cyberman

But it has to be the right players though. January isn't an easy window to find good deals in. Most players who are worth their salt aren't being let go by their clubs without a fight.
Yeah but second and third choice rotation players shouldn’t be that expensive anyway. Plus Arsenal just gave up Pierre without a fight!
It’s still Arsenal. I’m sure they could have got some deal done. Even just a player who would be making a step up would be something. Don’t forget Cavani was on the way to Benfica before we stepped in so there’s players making moves that would do a job that’s being ignored somewhere.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I really like where Arsenal are heading.

I doubt it's purely from Arteta because I've not been impressed with his in game management but still - the squad is getting more young, hungry and balanced - also arguably less money oriented.

Maybe it's the ex player nature of Edu and Arteta - ex players are fans after all and even if they are not perfect they do bring positives to the club. I'm not ashamed to say I generally liked Ole's squad building too compared to our other managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.