Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Reminds me of LFC before the structure of the club got revamped and we signed Klopp. But before that it was similar to this Arsenal. A club with no real strategy or direction, splurging loads of cash on average players - partly due to no Europe - and showing zero signs of real progress.
I agreed. Until Arsenal fixed the issue in the management no coach can turn around the ship. Wenger couldn't paper the crack in the later stage of his stay with the club anymore, Emery who just won EL with Villarreal failed as well, and I am not surprised Arteta couldn't either. Arteta probably made the mistake and should not take the arsenal job as his first manager job. Arsenal invested a lot of money in the squad for the past 10 years so lack of investment is not the excuse.

Last edited:

Slysi17

What I can't stand about Arsenal fans is their arrongance in saying sack Artera and get Conte. Conte wouldn't touch Arsenal at the moment. No top level manager would.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Arteta reminds me of AVB. Looks the part, well dressed, great hair, speaks well but totally devoid of character, man-management skills or tactical flexibility. Just like Arteta, AVB also created rifts within the squad if any player dared to speak their mind. Both also play a slow methodical brand of football that is very difficult to get behind as a fan, especially when the results aren't going your way.

LARulz

Arteta I think is actively trying to get sacked and a huge pay off

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Awful man management
The Anti- Ole.

It's baffling to me how Arteta manages to alienate so many players, he doesn't have the gravitas to get away with being a "hard man".

Arsenal has become such an unmanageable, toxic shitfest. I am genuinely sorry for fans of the club now.

Hahahahaha I'm not really, get bent Gunners.

Pep's Suit

Arteta's man-management is absolutely shocking and comical at the same time. Absolutely zero empathy, logic and charisma there. He's a complete joke and if Arsenal don't sack him in next 5-6 weeks... I'll kinda hope they'll end up relegated.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Arteta's man-management is absolutely shocking and comical at the same time. Absolutely zero empathy, logic and charisma there. He's a complete joke and if Arsenal don't sack him in next 5-6 weeks... I'll kinda hope they'll end up relegated.
As a United fan I'd be happy if Arsenal were relegated

As a football fan I'd be upset and I'd want an inquiry into how one of the biggest teams in England could be sabotaged in such a way.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Trying to sign the Bologna defender Tomiyasu Spurs were linked with a lot of the summer, presume as a right back. Anyone know much about him?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Trying to sign the Bologna defender Tomiyasu Spurs were linked with a lot of the summer, presume as a right back. Anyone know much about him?
He's good. Naturally more of a CB than a RB so don't expect him to be Dani Alves but he's a quality all round footballer. Tall, good turn of pace, intelligent/composed in and out of possession, can ping a nice pass. Think it's a very good buy. I'd rather have got him than the lad we're signing from Barca but I guess he makes more sense for us as an out and out RB when we already have a RB/CB hybrid in Tanganga.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's good. Naturally more of a CB than a RB so don't expect him to be Dani Alves but he's a quality all round footballer. Tall, good turn of pace, intelligent/composed in and out of possession, can ping a nice pass. Think it's a very good buy. I'd rather have got him than the lad we're signing from Barca but I guess he makes more sense for us as an out and out RB when we already have a RB/CB hybrid in Tanganga.
Yeah, it's strange how it's worked out. We've signed the lad you were linked with all summer, & you've signed the lad we were linked with a lot of the summer as well! Perhaps given how average White is in the air, having a right back that's good in the air helps compensate. Deals that make sense for both parties.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Arteta I think is actively trying to get sacked and a huge pay off
Wouldnt be that big of a pay off with 2 years left at 5M p/y.

LARulz

Wouldnt be that big of a pay off with 2 years left at 5M p/y.
Yeah but that's still pretty nice. I imagine if Arsenal board had any brain cells the contract would say he can be sacked for little compensation if they finish in certain positions etc.

Sylar

A lot of money spent in terms of transfer window. A lot meaning, they spent the most in the league, right?

Also, this guy is a cock, but I found this funny:

ti vu

Arteta reminds me of AVB. Looks the part, well dressed, great hair, speaks well but totally devoid of character, man-management skills or tactical flexibility. Just like Arteta, AVB also created rifts within the squad if any player dared to speak their mind. Both also play a slow methodical brand of football that is very difficult to get behind as a fan, especially when the results aren't going your way.
At least with AVB, he has his Porto stint as credibility for his tactic. Strange that Arsenal has gone such length to Arteta him. I don't see a cohesive plan with the recruitment, style of play... Awful man management. He seems fall out with everyone, losing the dressing room.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
They have backed him so much that surely they will not sack him anytime soon IMO. Would make no sense at all

TheLiverBird

They have backed him so much that surely they will not sack him anytime soon IMO. Would make no sense at all
It would make more sense imo to sack him

Theyv’e backed the wrong man, they’ll realise that soon (possibly already have) and have him replace when a suitable replacement has been found.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Ok, calmed down a wee bit from the weekend. Finding it really difficult to assess our window. When I look at the incomings, I'm generally content.

We needed a backup GK, backup LB, backup centre midfielder. Got them all, all young hungry players. Overpaid on the GK but won't complain too much.

We needed an attacking midfielder. Managed to secure the managers first choice for a decent fee, a guy that's already been here & again young with room to get better.

We needed an upgrade at right back. Jury still out whether Tomiyasu is that. Good physical profile, good defender, not the best attacking full back seems to be the consensus, perhaps similar in style to Pavard? He'll have to be really rotten to be worse than Cedric or Chambers on Saturday, that's for sure.

The 1 signing that I'm really torn on, & will likely decide Arteta's (& perhaps Edu's) immediate future, is the Ben White signing. Was spending £50M on him, while you have Saliba on your books, a horrible waste of resources? Couple that, with turning down Roma's Xhaka bid, & not upgrading midfield.

Add White's fee & a potential Xhaka fee to give you say £60M, would that money have been better spent getting you say a Zouma & a Neves just for talking sakes, or trusting Saliba & going all in for Bissouma or the likes?

Think Arteta will live, or most likely die by that decision.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Add White's fee & a potential Xhaka fee to give you say £60M, would that money have been better spent getting you say a Zouma & a Neves just for talking sakes, or trusting Saliba & going all in for Bissouma or the likes?

Those 60M in theory gets you a Guimaraes and a 25/30M CB if he really do not want Saliba. I don't think that should be the factor that decides his sacking though. Being unable to create enough chances to an aspiring top 6 team should. At the end of Emery's reign we were getting bombarded by the opposition but we managed to create a bit. Now we're more solid at the back but toothless once we cross the middle of the pitch.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Those 60M in theory gets you a Guimaraes and a 25/30M CB if he really do not want Saliba. I don't think that should be the factor that decides his sacking though. Being unable to create enough chances to an aspiring top 6 team should. At the end of Emery's reign we were getting bombarded by the opposition but we managed to create a bit. Now we're more solid at the back but toothless once we cross the middle of the pitch.
The past few games we've certainly not been more solid across the back, & It's difficult to build much going forward when the foundations behind are built on quicksand. We'll just need to judge where we are after these next few games & we have most of the players back. One thing we all agreed on was midfield needed an upgrade, more balanced midfield would help us more defensively & offensively, & that's failed to happen.

That was my point really rather than having a go at Ben White the player, it's that using so much resources on him has been a detriment to the main area we all want improved.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Arteta and Moyes league stats are surprisingly close. Giving Arteta almost £250m to spend is scandalous.
Manager​
Club​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Win %​
Points PG​
GF PG​
GC PG​
Transfers In​
Transfers Out​
Net Spend​
David Moyes​
West Ham​
59​
25​
14​
20​
96​
82​
+14​
42.4%​
1.5​
1.6​
1.4​
£143.73m​
£43.57m​
£100.16m​
Mikel Arteta​
Arsenal​
62​
27​
14​
21​
87​
69​
+18​
43.5%​
1.5​
1.4​
1.1​
£233.64m​
£45.05m​
£188.59m​

Last edited:

youmeletsfly

Ok, calmed down a wee bit from the weekend. Finding it really difficult to assess our window. When I look at the incomings, I'm generally content.

We needed a backup GK, backup LB, backup centre midfielder. Got them all, all young hungry players. Overpaid on the GK but won't complain too much.

We needed an attacking midfielder. Managed to secure the managers first choice for a decent fee, a guy that's already been here & again young with room to get better.

We needed an upgrade at right back. Jury still out whether Tomiyasu is that. Good physical profile, good defender, not the best attacking full back seems to be the consensus, perhaps similar in style to Pavard? He'll have to be really rotten to be worse than Cedric or Chambers on Saturday, that's for sure.

The 1 signing that I'm really torn on, & will likely decide Arteta's (& perhaps Edu's) immediate future, is the Ben White signing. Was spending £50M on him, while you have Saliba on your books, a horrible waste of resources? Couple that, with turning down Roma's Xhaka bid, & not upgrading midfield.

Indeed you needed backup here and there, but before that you lot needed a few starters. As far as I can see it, other than White, all the others are backups, while you still have some mediocre players starting.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
What the feck is Arteta doing?

This looks like a full on Mourinho 3rd season self sabotage meltdown.
The best proof ever to Maitland-Niles that his post on Insta "AlI wanna do is go where I'm wanted and where I'm gonna play" was spot on.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Indeed you needed backup here and there, but before that you lot needed a few starters. As far as I can see it, other than White, all the others are backups, while you still have some mediocre players starting.
Yeah, think that was my point I was trying to crudely make. To improve the first XI, by priority I'd say we needed an AM, CM, RB & CD. We got Odegaard, Tomiyasu & White, so no starting CM.

Odegaard, happy with. Tomiyasu, got it all to prove. Is White good enough to neglect priority number 2 centre midfield? Or is he even good enough full stop? Again, jury is massively out.

Gunnerineverylife

Supports
Arsenal
Supporting Arsenal has turned into a masochistic experience. I still have a tiny glimmer of hope that Arteta can still turn this around, its his team now, his selected players, aint got no excuse now.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta and Moyes league stats are surprisingly close. Giving Arteta almost £250m to spend is scandalous.
Manager​
Club​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Win %​
Points PG​
GF PG​
GC PG​
Transfers In​
Transfers Out​
Net Spend​
David Moyes​
West Ham​
59​
25​
14​
20​
96​
82​
+14​
42.4%​
1.5​
1.6​
1.4​
£143.73m​
£43.57m​
£100.16m​
Mikel Arteta​
Arsenal​
62​
27​
14​
21​
87​
69​
+18​
43.5%​
1.5​
1.4​
1.1​
£233.64m​
£45.05m​
£188.59m​
The statement "giving the manager $$$ money to spend" is so 90s when nowadays there are sport director in almost every club to decide which players to bring in every season regardless who the first team head coach is. The current head coach will be consulted of course. The day football manager like SAF and Wenger calling the shot for contract renewal and player transfer are gone.

The issue is the upper management of the club and they are not close to Chelsea and even Liverpool's level.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Their team couldn’t conceivably have been…

Leno
Maitland-Niles, Zouma, Saliba, Tierney
Partey, Neves
Saka, Odegaard, Aubameyang
Abraham

…for the same money they have spent (or possibly even less!)

He has signed too many punts and wasted 80 million on a decent CB and a back up GK. His man management skills are abysmal and you watch them play, and at times, it doesn’t even look like the players understand their roles.

He shouldn’t have been given this window and him and Edu should have been out the door!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The statement "giving the manager $$$ money to spend" is so 90s when nowadays there are sport director in almost every club to decide which players to bring in every season regardless who the first team head coach is. The current head coach will be consulted of course. The day football manager like SAF and Wenger calling the shot for contract renewal and player transfer are gone.

The issue is the upper management of the club and they are not close to Chelsea and even Liverpool's level.
To a point I agree. But Arteta would have been given a say on whether or not the player should be brought in. Clearly he's happy with the players being scouted out and brought in and therefore he's partly to blame. The coaching/management is completely on his shoulders though and the fact that he's got pretty much an identical record to Moyes at West Ham tells you how badly managed your club is, from top to bottom. Keeping onto Arteta when he's so woefully out of his depth must be soul destroying as an Arsenal fan. I'd be livid.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
To a point I agree. But Arteta would have been given a say on whether or not the player should be brought in. Clearly he's happy with the players being scouted out and brought in and therefore he's partly to blame. The coaching/management is completely on his shoulders though and the fact that he's got pretty much an identical record to Moyes at West Ham tells you how badly managed your club is, from top to bottom. Keeping onto Arteta when he's so woefully out of his depth must be soul destroying as an Arsenal fan. I'd be livid.
Is there anything surprising with Moyes record, in their full season they've had at their respective clubs West Ham finished ahead of Arsenal in the league, so the likely hood is that they would have a similar record?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Arsenal didn't sign him permanently after his loans so he went back to Real Madrid. Suffered a bad ankle injury during the Olympics - still out for a few months I believe
I see, thanks. I wonder if there was any chance they could've signed him or did Arsenal just not think he was good enough after 2 years and didn't even bother trying? I guess they wouldn't have been able to sign both Odegaard and Ceballos from Madrid at the same time so maybe it came down to one or t'other.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I see, thanks. I wonder if there was any chance they could've signed him or did Arsenal just not think he was good enough after 2 years and didn't even bother trying? I guess they wouldn't have been able to sign both Odegaard and Ceballos from Madrid at the same time so maybe it came down to one or t'other.
I think they just weren't particularly keen on it - if I recall correctly there was no concrete fee agreed when the loan occurred, though I could be wrong. Perhaps as well the timing of his injury turned them off; though for me personally they've done well to get in Lokonga over him. Wouldn't rate Ceballos as being anything special at all to be frank.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
When was the last time Spurs were top of the league while Arsenal were bottom? Has to be a long time ago, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.