Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure I agree that Vieira was a pointless signing. Think ask anyone on here Arsenal or non Arsenal fan and they'll all agree we lack creativity at times. Therefore the more players that can add a creative spark the better for me, especially when we are back having European football and in a World Cup year. He can cover the attacking areas and also as advanced number 8.

Now if you make the point that other positions should have had priority, than that's a different argument. However I don't think it's any surprise that the 3 main signings so far, Jesus, Vieira & Zinchenko are a bit flexible & can cover more than 1 position.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Our starting midfield is looking likely to be Xhaka - Elneny. This is poverty. If this is the case going into the new season then top 4 is done before it’s even started.

TheReligion

Abusive
Our starting midfield is looking likely to be Xhaka - Elneny. This is poverty. If this is the case going into the new season then top 4 is done before it’s even started.
Could Zinchenko not slot in?

I can’t see it being Tierney OR Zinchenko and feel Arteta will play both

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
We need to sign a DM regardless of anything anyway.

For the LCM spot we have: Xhaka, Zinchenko, Sambi. Then ESR/Vieira can play that role if needed.

For DM we have: Partey?, Elneny. That's it.

We should just sign a DM and then if we can get in a RW that too.

the_cliff

Why no Partey ?

Have the club dropped him ?

Not to derail the subject just want to know your midfield options, if Partey is indeed dropped you will defo need to get a CM in, an El Neny Xhaka midfield is nowhere near good enough.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hilarious to hear gooners moaning about “poverty” when they only have Xhaka, Elneny, Zinchenko, Lokonga, Maitland-Niles, Toreira and Vieira all available to play in central midfield. Where did I leave my tiny violin?

Their squad is well stocked absolutely everywhere. No more excuses this season.

the_cliff

Hilarious to hear gooners moaning about “poverty” when they only have Xhaka, Elneny, Zinchenko, Lokonga, Maitland-Niles, Toreira and Vieira all available to play in central midfield. Where did I leave my tiny violin?

Their squad is well stocked absolutely everywhere. No more excuses this season.
Toreira is leaving isn't he ?

I agree with you in the sense of excuses. Arteta has now spent the same as Ole spent and has had the same amount of time, if Arsenal don't finish top 4 it would be a huge failure.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Toreira is leaving isn't he ?

I agree with you in the sense of excuses. Arteta has now spent the same as Ole spent and has had the same amount of time, if Arsenal don't finish top 4 it would be a huge failure.
Still listed as part of their first team squad on Arsenal website.

But yeah, moaning about squad flaws is pathetic. I actually think they have a better squad than United right now. Arguably better than Chelsea too. They’ve spent an absolute shit load of money at a time when they’re lucky enough to have genuinely top class youngsters like Saka, Martinelli and ESR coming through. Arteta has absolutely no excuse for not nailing down a top four finish. He should really be making a title challenge by now. He won’t though. We all know that. Hence the excuses.

Varane around town

I can't see them finishing above Liverpool, City or Spurs.

So they'll be scrapping with us and Chelsea for that 4th place.

Also I think there could be an almighty hangover from last season and them blowing an amazing chance at Top 4.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's currently mooching in Italy trying his best to get a move somewhere. For some reason we took him on the pre season tour to the US only for him to seemingly piss off back to Italy after a couple of days.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

But yeah, moaning about squad flaws is pathetic. I actually think they have a better squad than United right now. Arguably better than Chelsea too. They’ve spent an absolute shit load of money at a time when they’re lucky enough to have genuinely top class youngsters like Saka, Martinelli and ESR coming through. Arteta has absolutely no excuse for not nailing down a top four finish. He should really be making a title challenge by now. He won’t though. We all know that. Hence the excuses.
Better than United on paper is an argument worth having. Better than Chelsea ? Even with their issues upfront, i don't think so. Challenging for the title ? Yep, time to close that tab.
Talking about title challenges and naming AMN, Torreira, Lokonga, El Neny. Nice bait.

Bogga

4-0 up vs Sevilla... 2 goals by Hesus and 2 by Saka. If they carry in their preseason into the PL they'll be tough to deal with

LARulz

They are looking good and big pressure this year. They have spent a crap ton over the last couple years and Arteta has his team now

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Better than United on paper is an argument worth having. Better than Chelsea ? Even with their issues upfront, i don't think so. Challenging for the title ? Yep, time to close that tab.
Talking about title challenges and naming AMN, Torreira, Lokonga, El Neny. Nice bait.
Chelsea’s issues up front are nothing compared to their issues in central defence.

Not going to get into your weird notion that title challenging teams can’t have any young/mediocre players in their squad…

awop

Supports
Arsenal
4-0 up vs Sevilla... 2 goals by Hesus and 2 by Saka. If they carry in their preseason into the PL they'll be tough to deal with
Sevilla just self-destructed in 5min. Rekik with an early challenger for the most stupid barge in the box of the season. Defenders asleep letting Jesus run 30y unbothered and the GK must be a Saka fan the way he offered him the ball.
Toughest game we played this last month was probably an MLS side and the heat was more a factor than anything.
Title winners?
90 to 100 points is a fair target for this squad.

ShinjiNinja26

Meh. Pre season results mean feck all. Remember the run we had under LVG, slapping every team we faced before getting beat on the opening day to Swansea I think it was. :lol:

Hopefully Arsenal will get a similar reality check.

AFC NimbleThumb

This will end as it did with OgS. No way they should have finished 5th last year but it’s overlooked, big spend in the Summer & fans expectations have risen. The signs he’s not a very good manager have been all over his tenure.

Fooza

They've looked good pre-season. Hate how them and spurs have improved making top 4 even harder.

avgp_1

Big Season for Odegaard this. He could really assert himself in the PL this time around

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea’s issues up front are nothing compared to their issues in central defence.

Not going to get into your weird notion that title challenging teams can’t have any young/mediocre players in their squad…
AMN, Torreira haven't played a competitive minute for us in 2 years. Lokonga is like me saying you have a chance at the title with Pellistri/Garner in the middle. Everyone was taking the p*ss and spamming green smilies when we renewed El Neny 2 months ago...
I'd argue Chelsea have less issues in central defense than United whoever they bring in for their third one or give Colwill a chance.

AFC NimbleThumb

AMN, Torreira haven't played a competitive minute for us in 2 years. Lokonga is like me saying you have a chance at the title with Pellistri/Garner in the middle. Everyone was taking the p*ss and spamming green smilies when we renewed El Neny 2 months ago...
I'd argue Chelsea have less issues in central defense than United whoever they bring in for their third one or give Colwill a chance.
Shouldn’t you be on an Arsenal forum mid-match discussing how well you’re playing instead of preoccupied with United defensive line. . .

Gabriel & White got you 5th last season & Saliba is untried in England. Humble yourself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You’ve completely missed my point but whatever.

Idxomer

Spurs and Arsenal will challenge for the title, you heard it here first.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Shouldn’t you be on an Arsenal forum mid-match discussing how well you’re playing instead of preoccupied with United defensive line. . .

Gabriel & White got you 5th last season & Saliba is untried in England. Humble yourself.
No. Feel free to browse the DeJong and Ronaldo thread though if you can't follow a 3 posts interaction. How can i humble myself when we're apparently this close to City and Liverpool ?
You’ve completely missed my point but whatever.
What point ? That a team challenging for the PL can have 2 to 3 "mediocre" players ? Sure, who were AMN,Torreira, El Neny level players for City and Liverpool the last few years ? We have plenty of young players in the squad, maybe more than most teams. Starting 11 is where you build your challenge and while i'm happy with the overall quality of it, it is in no way screaming title challenge. That was a dumb take.
Not even going to comment on the money part, you have 20 pages worth of it in the previous thread.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Moh would say:'it's about netspend' and Arteta currently has a netspend of -320million €

At the minimum they need to seriously challenge for a trophy and a top 4 position at the end of the season.

AFC NimbleThumb

No. Feel free to browse the DeJong and Ronaldo thread though if you can't follow a 3 posts interaction. How can i humble myself when we're apparently this close to City and Liverpool ?
So let’s do this again. Your team just won 6-0 against the mighty Sevillians & you’re on a United forum directing United fans to de Jong & Ronaldo threads. . .

Humble. Yourself. No one with sense is saying you’re close to City.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Arsenal are looking really sharp this season. They bought well and have done lots of prep, and are definitelymuch stronger than last season. I'll be very surprised if they fail to make top 4.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
So let’s do this again. Your team just won 6-0 against the mighty Sevillians & you’re on a United forum directing United fans to de Jong & Ronaldo threads. . .

Humble. Yourself. No one with sense is saying you’re close to City.
Agreed with the bolded part. Talk to your mate, he's losing it.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
They are the only real threat to break the top 4 and will battle it out with spurs and Chelsea. My only hesitation is if Arteta is the guy for the job but the team in itself is talented .

United will be fighting for that 6 and 7th position this year. It’s still only year 1 of the rebuild and the squad is lacking.

AFC NimbleThumb

Agreed with the bolded part. Talk to your mate, he's losing it.
Having reviewed the chat you’re being disingenuous. The argument is, given your spend & hype [although finishing 5th last season was a disgrace]. . .

They’ve spent an absolute shit load of money at a time when they’re lucky enough to have genuinely top class youngsters like Saka, Martinelli and ESR coming through. Arteta has absolutely no excuse for not nailing down a top four finish. He should really be making a title challenge by now.
Read it properly. You should be making a title challenge based on spend & talent but you’re being called plucky underdogs for some reason. Two points are made there, A) Top 4 shouldn’t be an issue for you; B) A better manager would challenge with that squad.

cyberman

I know Arsenal are playing well but wouldn’t they be better off facing teams that aren’t undercooked in pre season? I don't know how much planning goes into these games but the intensity can’t be there

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I know Arsenal are playing well but wouldn’t they be better off facing teams that aren’t undercooked in pre season? I don't know how much planning goes into these games but the intensity can’t be there
I mean.. Chelsea and Sevilla shouldn't be undercooked and these games were planned a while ago.