Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
White and Saka destroying teams with their combination play down the right, and Southgate leaves white out.
Rumours of a clash with the England coaches at the World Cup , probably on seeing Eric Dier picked ahead of him.
Oh well, England's loss is Arsenal's gain. Feel bad for Ben though, he is best RB for England right now.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Oh well, England's loss is Arsenal's gain. Feel bad for Ben though, he is best RB for England right now.
I don’t want any of our players playing international football right now. We can’t afford any more injuries.

TheReligion

Abusive
I thought his comments about us being lucky with injuries very defeatist in attempting to excuse his inability to challenge us this season. Not the type of talk you’d want to hear from someone attempting to build a title challenge one day. Until that point I thought he’s doing most things right but that was when I thought maybe he’s running out of ideas on how to catch us.
We ll see in the summer , I’ve gone from thinking it’s only a matter of time now before United are back , to….. There’s so much work to do that I can’t you see challenging next season.
I wouldn’t tend to pay too much attention to an Arsenal fan’s assessment of a manager.

Hounded Wenger out of the club and a majority wanted Arteta gone less than a year ago.

They tend to be the most disloyal and fickle bunch around.

TheReligion

Abusive
All I heard was he left due to "personal reasons", which can mean anything. Not that I'm complaining, happy for him to sit out. We can't afford any more injuries to our defenders.
He had a ‘huge bust up’ with Steve Holland and apparently struggled to mix with the rest of the England squad.

That’s what was reported anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
Some of you have very personal issues with Arsenal supporters that you need to sort out for some mental peace :lol:
I don’t think it’s Arsenal fans per se. Just people tend not to really like those who come to the Caf to gloat and give it the big one when their team is doing well (whilst also trying to stick the boot in to United).

The same folk that tend not to be here when their clubs are struggling (or United are winning).

It’s a bit sad really. That said there’s a few decent posters and they stand out as being genuine. They present some interesting viewpoints that you don’t always get from within the same fanbase.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
I wouldn’t tend to pay too much attention to an Arsenal fan’s assessment of a manager.

Hounded Wenger out of the club and a majority wanted Arteta gone less than a year ago.

They tend to be the most disloyal and fickle bunch around.
A large section of arsenal fans have treated managers disgracefully over the last 8 years, from being disrespectful to our greatest manager ever, to totally missing the plan with Arteta. I don’t think these actions are forgivable but you can’t exactly cancel someone’s season ticket because they are clueless about football. Support often doesn’t equal knowledge.

TheReligion

Abusive
A large section of arsenal fans have treated managers disgracefully over the last 8 years, from being disrespectful to our greatest manager ever, to totally missing the plan with Arteta. I don’t think these actions are forgivable but you can’t exactly cancel someone’s season ticket because they are clueless about football. Support often doesn’t equal knowledge.
The fact you’re suggesting Ten Hag will be a failure at United because he commented on Arsenal and their injuries hardly fills me with confidence you have a clue in what you’re talking about.

I suspect its more fishing for a bite though and on the wind up. As I say I find it a bit sad and poor form.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
The fact you’re suggesting Ten Hag will be a failure at United because he commented on Arsenal and their injuries hardly fills me with confidence you have a clue in what you’re talking about.

I suspect its more fishing for a bite though and on the wind up. As I say I find it a bit sad and poor form.
I didn’t suggest he’ll be a failure just unsure if he’ll be a certainty for success, and by that I mean winning titles. My personal opinion is that the “it’s only a matter of time “ narrative is somewhat wide of the mark.
Many keep making the point that Arsenal are 5/8 clear of Man City at the top of the league because Arteta had 3 years, insinuating that 3 years of Ten Haag will produce the same result, I’m not so sure.
Your best 2 players are 31 and 27 already so not sure where you’ll be in 3 years time but Casimero certainly won’t be part of the plans and you’ve built your team round him this season.
I understand this is a United forum and any opinion that’s negative will get calls for a ban but that won’t make you title challengers, only world class management over successive transfer windows, time alone won’t fix it.

AFC NimbleThumb

Some of you have very personal issues with Arsenal supporters that you need to sort out for some mental peace :lol:
Posts like this are the reason I can’t stand you lot.

When United last won a trophy, long time ago I know, the furthest thing from my mind was heading to an Arsenal fan forum. I simply do not get why you lot need to be [in particular] ‘better than’ United. Martinelli can’t just be good, he’s got to be better than Sancho. Saka can’t be very good he’s got to be better than Rashford. Odegaard & Fernandes, so on.

You spent years winning less than United yet boast as if we had some trophy by trophy rivalry. I respect what Arsenal as a football club have accomplished but the 2 clubs are chalk & cheese.

Brophs

The One and Only
He had a ‘huge bust up’ with Steve Holland and apparently struggled to mix with the rest of the England squad.

That’s what was reported anyway.
Around the time he left the England camp, I remember reading a Brighton supporter saying he was known as not being that great a mixer in dressing rooms. Nothing negative, from memory. Just a guy who tended to be happy enough doing his own thing. A hothouse environment like a World Cup might not be the best fit for him.

Fabio Rochemback

Arsenal fans, are you worried about losing any players this, or more likely next summer? Saka, Odegaard, Saliba and Martinelli will supposedly attract a lot of interest.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Arsenal fans, are you worried about losing any players this, or more likely next summer? Saka, Odegaard, Saliba and Martinelli will supposedly attract a lot of interest.
I think teams will have too much respect for Arsenal to try and buy their players. They have a group of players who aren't motivated by money, they'd play for Arsenal for free if they could

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Martinelli just signed a new long term contract and stated before it that in his head give him a pen and he'd sign for life.

Saka has agreed his contract, is a Hale End boy and will be with us for the foreseeable.

Saliba...yeah until we tie his future down then there will be speculation.

Odegaard, I can see big clubs being interested but who would he go to? Can't see him moving to City, not sure he'd move anywhere else in England? What does that leave abroad? Real, he might want to go back there and prove a point. Barca....could they afford him? PSG, would he want to go to French league? Bayern...would that appeal more than where he is?

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Everyone has money these, we cant even get Brighton to sell us their players. All our players apart from Saliba will be tied to long term contracts, and he has publicly stated that he wants to stay and its a money issue right now but I'm sure itll be sorted.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Martinelli just signed a new long term contract and stated before it that in his head give him a pen and he'd sign for life.

Saka has agreed his contract, is a Hale End boy and will be with us for the foreseeable.

Saliba...yeah until we tie his future down then there will be speculation.

Odegaard, I can see big clubs being interested but who would he go to? Can't see him moving to City, not sure he'd move anywhere else in England? What does that leave abroad? Real, he might want to go back there and prove a point. Barca....could they afford him? PSG, would he want to go to French league? Bayern...would that appeal more than where he is?
Odegaard is the one least likely to leave, he has bought into Arteta's project more than any other player. re below.

“I spoke to Mikel Arteta on a Zoom call and he told me all about the project,” Odegaard recalled.

“At the time, Arsenal were not doing well. They were way down like 15th in the table, but that meeting … Honestly, I challenge anyone to come away from a meeting with Arteta and not believe everything he tells you.

“He is next level. It’s hard to explain. He’s passionate, he’s intense and sometimes, yeah, he’s a bit crazy … but when he speaks, you understand that whatever he says will happen, will happen.

“He told me his plan, everything he was building towards. He knew exactly what needed to change at the club.

“He told me all about these amazing young players in the squad — Saka, Martinelli, Smith Rowe, etc., etc. He told me how he wanted me to fit in and how I was going to improve.

“I got this strong feeling that he was onto something really special.”

TheReligion

Abusive
I didn’t suggest he’ll be a failure just unsure if he’ll be a certainty for success, and by that I mean winning titles. My personal opinion is that the “it’s only a matter of time “ narrative is somewhat wide of the mark.
Many keep making the point that Arsenal are 5/8 clear of Man City at the top of the league because Arteta had 3 years, insinuating that 3 years of Ten Haag will produce the same result, I’m not so sure.
Your best 2 players are 31 and 27 already so not sure where you’ll be in 3 years time but Casimero certainly won’t be part of the plans and you’ve built your team round him this season.
I understand this is a United forum and any opinion that’s negative will get calls for a ban but that won’t make you title challengers, only world class management over successive transfer windows, time alone won’t fix it.
Who are United’s best players who are 31 and 27? Feels like you’re clutching a bit. Similarly without Partey you tend to fold yourselves except we have a manager who has been here months whilst you have one who has had over 3 years to look at that area.

I have no doubt United will look at that and address the rebalancing of the squad in the summer, especially when the ownership is settled.

Your view that because Ten Hag dared to mention Arsenal’s injury list suggests he’ll fail at United is as ridiculous as it sounds. That’s why you’re catching some flak. Your other comments also suggest you’re not here to post in good faith but here on the wind up. Gentle digs here and there with very little knowledge on the subjects you talk of.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Liverpool were absolutely back when they won the league. They’ve been one of the most feared teams in Europe in the last 5 years and have won everything in that time. Their time is gone now but they definitely did come back, after 30 years of waiting.
Leicester were never there in the first place to come back, their story will never be repeated.
If you win the league you are back at the top, how long you stay there depends on what you do when you get there.
Winning it is already being “back”, staying there is next step, and also a problem for next season. Its a problem i would love to have if places being switched as a manutd fan. Its been too long already.

TheReligion

Abusive

When United last won a trophy, long time ago I know, the furthest thing from my mind was heading to an Arsenal fan forum. I simply do not get why you lot need to be [in particular] ‘better than’ United. Martinelli can’t just be good, he’s got to be better than Sancho. Saka can’t be very good he’s got to be better than Rashford. Odegaard & Fernandes, so on.

You spent years winning less than United yet boast as if we had some trophy by trophy rivalry. I respect what Arsenal as a football club have accomplished but the 2 clubs are chalk & cheese.
I do like engaging with the good faith fans who contribute but as you say there’s a large portion who always want to bring a discussion to playground arguments anytime Arsenal are in the slightest bit criticised.

Have an opinion on anything Arsenal related suddenly turns into ‘Yah but you spend more money, Partey is better than Casemiro, Gabriel better than Martinez…’

I assume it’s insecurity and immaturity mixed in to one.

TheReligion

Abusive
Around the time he left the England camp, I remember reading a Brighton supporter saying he was known as not being that great a mixer in dressing rooms. Nothing negative, from memory. Just a guy who tended to be happy enough doing his own thing. A hothouse environment like a World Cup might not be the best fit for him.
That’s interesting. Seems a shame he looks to have been frozen out over it so I’m not sure what happened with Holland but assume it must have boiled over somewhat.

Southgate is very particular about the squad dynamics.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

Wasn't directed at you, but since you wanted to catch a stray arrow, be my guest and fume away.

acnumber9

I thought his comments about us being lucky with injuries very defeatist in attempting to excuse his inability to challenge us this season. Not the type of talk you’d want to hear from someone attempting to build a title challenge one day. Until that point I thought he’s doing most things right but that was when I thought maybe he’s running out of ideas on how to catch us.
We ll see in the summer , I’ve gone from thinking it’s only a matter of time now before United are back , to….. There’s so much work to do that I can’t you see challenging next season.
Your own manager whines endlessly any time they have to play more than once a week. Not sure what the correlation between throwaway comments and future success is.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Who are United’s best players who are 31 and 27? Feels like you’re clutching a bit. Similarly without Partey you tend to fold yourselves except we have a manager who has been here months whilst you have one who has had over 3 years to look at that area.

I have no doubt United will look at that and address the rebalancing of the squad in the summer, especially when the ownership is settled.

Your view that because Ten Hag dared to mention Arsenal’s injury list suggests he’ll fail at United is as ridiculous as it sounds. That’s why you’re catching some flak. Your other comments also suggest you’re not here to post in good faith but here on the wind up. Gentle digs here and there with very little knowledge on the subjects you talk of.
I cannot decide whether this is a genuine post, or whether you are fully aware that you are quite accurately describing yourself here!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
For me, the pressure that’s on ETH is that perhaps he can’t afford to be as patient as Arteta can/could, due to (partly) squad ages, and (partly) team expectations.

I might be wrong (and it’s very difficult to find the stats that paint an accurate picture), but it does feel like Utd’s current team is perhaps more reliant on experienced players than it has in the 20 or 25 years I’ve been watching PL football.

Assuming Utd don’t win the Prem this season, then De Gea, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Fernandez, Eriksen, Fred, Casemiro, (plus Sabitzer & Weghorst) will all be in the 29-33 age group in the 2023/24 season.

In terms of wingers, strikers, and full-backs they seem fine. Numbers and relative quality, and a good age mix, but those central position just feels like they’re a bit too loaded with players towards the later part of their careers.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
For me, the pressure that’s on ETH is that perhaps he can’t afford to be as patient as Arteta can/could, due to (partly) squad ages, and (partly) team expectations.

I might be wrong (and it’s very difficult to find the stats that paint an accurate picture), but it does feel like Utd’s current team is perhaps more reliant on experienced players than it has in the 20 or 25 years I’ve been watching PL football.

Assuming Utd don’t win the Prem this season, then De Gea, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Fernandez, Eriksen, Fred, Casemiro, (plus Sabitzer & Weghorst) will all be in the 29-33 age group in the 2023/24 season.

In terms of wingers, strikers, and full-backs they seem fine. Numbers and relative quality, and a good age mix, but those central position just feels like they’re a bit too loaded with players towards the later part of their careers.
Expectations are certainly different as United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, but then so are the resources

TheReligion

Abusive
I cannot decide whether this is a genuine post, or whether you are fully aware that you are quite accurately describing yourself here!
The difference being I’m a United fan posting on a United forum.

If I was a guest elsewhere then I’d be respectful of the host clubs fans. Especially if I was posting there for genuine reasons.

I’m not really sure why some struggle with this. Then again I don’t post on other forums so not sure what the thought process is with those that do.

TheReligion

Abusive
Expectations are certainly different as United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, but then so are the resources

You didn’t answer so I’m assuming you think Casemiro and Shaw are United’s two best players? 31 and 27 (not that 27 is old really).

I’m not really sure age is something you can be critical of as on the whole the squad is quite balanced. Again though, Ten Hag has only had one window (not 6) so I’m sure he’ll shape the squad as time passes. We also have some good young players like Garnacho, Amad, Antony, Sancho, Pellistri who are in and around the first team and should continue to progress.

One thing Ten Hag is particularly good at is working with and developing young players. This is why he was a good fit with United given the clubs ethos.

Loon

:lol:
So, the implication here is Arteta is a world class manager?

Sylar

Arsenal 8 points ahead having played a game more, but only 10 games left. The next game for Arsenal is at home to Leeds, so win that and youre down to single digit games.
City meanwhile have Liverpool which will not be an easy game despite Liverpools form this season. If City dont win, they could be double digits away from Arsenal. That will give Arsenal a huge boost going into the tough April games. Arsenal 'should' win the last three games of the season (brighton, forest and wolves). Man City gotta navigate the CL during that time too.

If Arsenal end April about 3 or 4 points clear, its defo their title to throw away.

Loon

Arsenal 8 points ahead having played a game more, but only 10 games left. The next game for Arsenal is at home to Leeds, so win that and youre down to single digit games.
City meanwhile have Liverpool which will not be an easy game despite Liverpools form this season. If City dont win, they could be double digits away from Arsenal. That will give Arsenal a huge boost going into the tough April games. Arsenal 'should' win the last three games of the season (brighton, forest and wolves). Man City gotta navigate the CL during that time too.

If Arsenal end April about 3 or 4 points clear, its defo their title to throw away.
City have found out how hard it is to win three on the spin and the standards have dropped.

TheReligion

Abusive
So, the implication here is Arteta is a world class manager?
It’s an odd comment to make about age of players too given Partey is 30 in a few months, Xhaka 31 and Jorginho 32..

The argument that Casemiro, having just turned 31 is too old and Luke Shaw at 27 is getting on a bit is quite bizarre.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The difference being I’m a United fan posting on a United forum.

If I was a guest elsewhere then I’d be respectful of the host clubs fans. Especially if I was posting there for genuine reasons.

I’m not really sure why some struggle with this. Then again I don’t post on other forums so not sure what the thought process is with those that do.
I don’t think it’s a case of ‘struggling’ as such. You choose to use this forum, as do other posters, whether Man Utd fans or not. I can’t see the rule anywhere where you get to define how other posters should communicate. Anyway, you seem quite reasonable most of the time, but it seems you have a subjective set of expectations that you don’t hold yourself to, but that you do hold other posters to!

Loon

It’s an odd comment to make about age of players too given Partey is 30 in a few months, Xhaka 31 and Jorginho 32..

The argument that Casemiro, having just turned 31 is too old and Luke Shaw at 27 is getting on a bit is quite bizarre.
It’s also odd that a team potentially doing a Leicester and taking advantage of a weakened season is suddenly headed by a “world class manager.”

Surely that’s something we talk about after years of successive trophies?

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t think it’s a case of ‘struggling’ as such. You choose to use this forum, as do other posters, whether Man Utd fans or not. I can’t see the rule anywhere where you get to define how other posters should communicate. Anyway, you seem quite reasonable most of the time, but it seems you have a subjective set of expectations that you don’t hold yourself to, but that you do hold other posters to!
I think it’s more about common decency no?

If you came on here as an Ipswich fan to act like a twat then I’d fully expect you to get binned off. Banter is one thing but when all you offer is baiting and wind up posts to the host club then I don’t see what value you have being here. Agreed?

Loon

Plus, by extension, Claudio Ranieri and Manuel Pelligrini must be world class managers too?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s also odd that a team potentially doing a Leicester and taking advantage of a weakened season is suddenly headed by a “world class manager.”

Surely that’s something we talk about after years of successive trophies?
Don’t think that’s fair. Leicester managed 23 wins in what was indeed a weakened season. Their points total of 81 points would barely have been good enough for 2nd place in most other seasons the last 10 years. Arsenal are 1 win away from matching Leicester’s entire points total and are on pace to reach 90+ points. As a stand-alone season, it stands up well to dominant teams in other years while Leicester’s win very much looks like they took advantage of a down season.

Loon

Don’t think that’s fair. Leicester managed 23 wins in what was indeed a weakened season. Their points total of 81 points would barely have been good enough for 2nd place in most other seasons the last 10 years. Arsenal are 1 win away from matching Leicester’s entire points total and are on pace to reach 90+ points. As a stand-alone season, it stands up well to dominant teams in other years while Leicester’s win very much looks like they took advantage of a down season.
How does it stand up to well to past years when a City failing to match their performances of the past are the only competition? Liverpool have imploded, Chelsea and United in flux. Nobody is pushing Arsenal.

Would you say Arteta is world class if he wins the league this season? Would you say it about Potter? I certainly wouldn’t say it about Ten Hag.

ADDITIONALLY: It was laughable that United were considered to be in the title race at one point.

Last edited: