Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is my deal with the devil. Barcelona and Juventus humiliated in CL, Arsenal win the PL, Napoli win serie A, but in exchange Mbappé stays in Paris the cnut and we lose the league :lol:

Just as long as neither City nor PSG win the CL it's okay i guess :(

YikesSchmeics

Edited, reflecting the more relevant factor. If Partey doesn't play we look half the team. If the owners want to have even half a chance at the title they'll have to invest in a Partey backup of a similar level.
If only we had Greenwood eh? It's in the title, we don['t talk about Partey.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This is my deal with the devil. Barcelona and Juventus humiliated in CL, Arsenal win the PL, Napoli win serie A, but in exchange Mbappé stays in Paris the cnut and we lose the league :lol:

Just as long as neither City nor PSG win the CL it's okay i guess :(
I would 100% take a City win in the CL if it meant we won the league.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think the worry for Arsenal now is keeping up their good form aha hoping City don't put together a 10-15 game winning streak which they've done in previous seasons.

Of course the pressure is on City to do that also.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Still can't bring myself to seriously think of winning the title. It's far too early and we have generally failed when under pressure in recent times. 'Top at Christmas' doesn't mean what it usually does because of the WC. By end of Dec, half the season has ordinarily been played. But this season, we're only 1/3 of the way through.

We don't have as many players as other clubs going to the WC so this may work in our favour, but who knows really. If we're still near City in Feb, then maybe I will start to believe.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If arsenal don't even get top 4 from this point would there be riots ?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If arsenal don't even get top 4 from this point would there be riots ?
Their form at the start of 13/14 wasn’t far off this and they found themselves 5th in April. Could still happen. That club has a history of serious choking.

Tony247

To all Arsenal fans here,

As a United supporter I hate to say this but good show so far. It wasn't easy to reach here through complete rebuild and being subject to ridicule along the way. But your club management is proving they are on the right track, at least it looks that way for now. Plus you are proving that the club doesn't need to be bankrolled by oil money or state sponsorship to be successful in this game.

Can't say all the best but least I can say well done!

PS: watch for us. We are getting there faster than you did.

croadyman

As the poster above said - Jesus and Saliba. I'd say Ødegaard too.

Jesus has transformed our attack. On face value over the last 10 games you'd think he's playing poorly, given he hasn't scored (which is a concern no doubt), but he brings so much more to the side than goals.

He's versatile, drops back to cover others, is a great dribbler and for someone his size he is surprisingly strong in challenges. Most importantly he makes things happen from nothing. Eg. the excellent through-ball to play in Vieira this morning, who crossed it to Ødegaard for our first. Won't come up on the stat sheet but that created the goal.

Saliba has been tremendous. I don't remember a time a young CB has come in to the EPL, adapted so quickly and been this impressive. He's got all the physical and mental tools needed to be a WC CB.
Yeah I would say those two as well,will admit when I kept hearing your fans talk about Saliba thought they are overhyped him,how wrong I was on that one.

croadyman

I think the worry for Arsenal now is keeping up their good form aha hoping City don't put together a 10-15 game winning streak which they've done in previous seasons.

Of course the pressure is on City to do that also.
Yeah that usual winning streak from City is definitely the biggest danger to Arsenal

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Mental to think that but for that 95th penalty at home vs Fulham, Arsenal would be 7 points clear of City.

In saying that, we could be 8 points clear with 3 games to go and I'd still struggle to believe we'd win it.

JSArsenal

Mental to think that but for that 95th penalty at home vs Fulham, Arsenal would be 7 points clear of City.

In saying that, we could be 8 points clear with 3 games to go and I'd still struggle to believe we'd win it.
Three of our final six games are City, Chelsea and Newcastle.........

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Piers Morgan has complicated matters somewhat. I no longer feel okay about Arsenal winning the league. He knows what he’s doing.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Piers Morgan has complicated matters somewhat. I no longer feel okay about Arsenal winning the league. He knows what he’s doing.
Arsenal fans are unbearable. It should never feel okay for them to win the league!! :nono:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Lots of smoke on Mykhailo Mudryk lately. If he can play in not only the left wing, but also right wing to cover Saka then he will be an excellent addition to the team.

the_cliff

Agreed. It would be a good step forward for the club.
I disagree.

Considering the circumstances right now top 4 would be a let down. They need to finish at least 2nd and take City to the end. Otherwise I'd rate it as a failure of a season.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As per Josh's own words last season, the project is ahead of schedule and the team is overachieving. This season the team again is overachieving, and the goal for the project at this stage is to qualify for the Champions League in a regular basis. With Champions League qualification comes a different level of how the club can recruit players. It is important to build a solid foundation.

Do I want Arsenal to challenge and win the title this season? Absolutely yes, but it is not the goal of the project at this stage.

A good watch on Arteta's tactics
Stepping Out Of Pep's Shadow - How Arteta's New Tactics Transformed Arsenal | - YouTube

the_cliff

As per Josh's own words last season, the project is ahead of schedule and the team is overachieving. This season the team again is overachieving, and the goal for the project at this stage is to qualify for the Champions League in a regular basis. With Champions League qualification comes a different level of how the club can recruit players. It is important to build a solid foundation.

Do I want Arsenal to challenge and win the title this season? Absolutely yes, but it is not the goal of the project at this stage.

A good watch on Arteta's tactics
Stepping Out Of Pep's Shadow - How Arteta's New Tactics Transformed Arsenal | - YouTube
So when does the project expect a league title or a proper title challenge ? Considering you said the aim at this stage is to qualify for champions league on a regular basis, how many seasons of ucl football will be enough to challenge ?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So when does the project expect a league title or a proper title challenge ? Considering you said the aim at this stage is to qualify for champions league on a regular basis, how many seasons of ucl football will be enough to challenge ?
That's the question for Josh and the board. Arsenal did not qualify for CL for so many seasons (too long i forgot how many) so first step is to get the club back to be a top 4 club. With CL the salary and transfer budget will be different and can recruit higher quality players, then hopefully can challenge for title in a more consistent basis. A one-off title win like Leicester, which is excellent and a huge achievement on its own, is not the purpose of this project. Be a top 4 club consistently is a huge task in EPL. There are 7 clubs with the same ambition and five clubs have more resources than Arsenal.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If you got 4th from this situation, it would be a bit of a flop, no?
I can only speak for myself. To me, no, it is a big success, but the key is to get top 4 next season and the season after too. The improvement in game play is obvious. The project is headed in the right direction.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Lots of smoke on Mykhailo Mudryk lately. If he can play in not only the left wing, but also right wing to cover Saka then he will be an excellent addition to the team.
Seems to be Twerking like mad for us to come in for him judging by that interview he just did with Zinchenko's Mrs. Makes me wonder if that means we won't pull the trigger, sometimes it seems theres a thing as too much smoke when it comes to Arsenal.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Seems to be Twerking like mad for us to come in for him judging by that interview he just did with Zinchenko's Mrs. Makes me wonder if that means we won't pull the trigger, sometimes it seems theres a thing as too much smoke when it comes to Arsenal.
Both him and Facundo Torres are linked with Arsenal at the moment. Torres is definitely a much cheaper option, and is a right winger with strong left foot. We will see how good he is in the world cup, if he starts.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
I can only speak for myself. To me, no, it is a big success, but the key is to get top 4 next season and the season after too. The improvement in game play is obvious. The project is headed in the right direction.
Finishing 4th from our current position would be a disaster. It would mean two teams not being City would have finished above us. Newcastle (they are greater strangers to being at the top than we have been in recent years), Tottenham (8 points ahead with a game in hand), Man United (11 points ahead), Liverpool (15 points ahead). How could allowing two of these teams to usurp us in the league table be considered a success?

Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, Saliba are they key. How good can these young footballers be? Is Saliba the heir to VVD, Odegaard to KDB? Are Saka and Martinelli along with Jesus capable of replicating as close as possible the effect of the Liverpool trio Firminho, Salah and Mane?

This is the unknown. Most of our main players are younger. Odegaard 23, Saka 21, Martinelli 21, Saliba 21, Gabriel 24, Tomiyasu 24, Ramsdale 24, Jesus 25, ESR 22, Vieira 22, Zinchenko 25, Tierney 25, White 25, Nketiah 23. The only players in the first team over 25 are Xhaka and Partey. This is why whilst I am surprised to have taken 37 from 42 points, im not surprised by the fact we are doing better than previous seasons.

Were like a flower right before spring that has been given extreme care in its preparation. No doubt we will blossom, but to what degree - we dont know. We could get lucky and his stem could turn into a bright red rose this season. Or we could be still too early in the cycle and not ready yet.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Finishing 4th from our current position would be a disaster.
I don't think it will happen but yeah it'd be really poor considering where you are currently. It would mean a massive collapse from the team, and would really bring back those demons of "crumbling under pressure". A lot of teams are not at their best this year (Utd and Chelsea with new managers, Liverpool struggling, Spurs not really convincing), whereas Arsenal are more advanced with their "project". It would be super shocking to finish 4th, considering how far ahead you are more than a third into the season.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
We've done worse things. Fully expect us to be battling for Top 3/4 by May. It's just how a season goes if you don't have depth.

Vapor trail

We've done worse things. Fully expect us to be battling for Top 3/4 by May. It's just how a season goes if you don't have depth.
I'd disagree injuries can only be anticipated it's not a guarantee. If no pivotal first team players pick up injury I can see Arsenal challenging all the way.

I've heard mentions of some on here comparing it with Ole's reign but it's not accurate. The formula for Arsenal having success this season is built solely on the performance levels of the team. That ends all comparison with United's Solskjaer at the time.

I think if Partey, Saka, Martinelli and G.Jesus are available through most fixtures that is cause for the Arsenal fans to be optimistic.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
But isn't the whole point you fans on here have bandied about (and you as well, I believe?) that Arteta's process has meant you've progressed regularly and therefore shouldn't be subject to the same pitfalls as in the past?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
If we finished 4th, we realistically won't get 4th in 23/24 season. Because the standard will have dropped to us only getting about 35 points in 28 games, which would give 72 points. United are on target for 70 points, Spurs 73 and Newcastle 76 points

Realistically we probably only need 40 points from 28 games to get second, which would be 77 points. Even that would be pretty poor. It'd be less than Chelsea's form this season, for 28 games. Only slightly better form form than that of Brentford, Palace and Fulham are in so far this season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If we finished 4th, we realistically won't get 4th in 23/24 season. Because the standard will have dropped to us only getting about 35 points in 28 games, which would give 72 points. United are on target for 70 points, Spurs 73 and Newcastle 76 points

Realistically we probably only need 40 points from 28 games to get second, which would be 77 points. Even that would be pretty poor. It'd be less than Chelsea's form this season, for 28 games. Only slightly better form form than that of Brentford, Palace and Fulham are in so far this season.
Assuming 77 points was the target for the season, given that you've over performed relative to that target, assuming you maintain a 77 point per season performance for the rest of the season, you would get about 53 additional points which would place you at 90 points.

That would be astounding. That's City/Liverpool title winning numbers.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
People suggesting a collapse given what happened last season need to realize last season was a quality issue. We didnt bottle it against Palace, Newcastle and Spurs. Injuries forced Tavares at LB and Cedric at RB. Rob Holding also started the match against Spurs.

This season, our backline has been occupied almost exclusively of Tierney, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu, White, Saliba, Gabriel.

erikcred

Assuming 77 points was the target for the season, given that you've over performed relative to that target, assuming you maintain a 77 point per season performance for the rest of the season, you would get about 53 additional points which would place you at 90 points.

You're right.

Whether they win the title or not, 90 points is the bare minimum they should get. Even compared with 100 point 17/18 City or 99 point 19/20 Liverpool, they're only 3 points behind after 14 games.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal

We only have 24 matches to go and not 28. 35 pts in 24 games, I think we have done worse even under Arteta. So its possible.

77 pts season form takes us to 85.6 pts (77/38*24+37).
Would still be great but wont be enough to win. Currently I feel best Arsenal can do is get 2nd, realistically in the end Arsenal would be closer to 5th place than 1st in terms of pts (maybe even position).