Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well I was certainly more concerned after being pummeled 5-0 vs them last season, than I was being beat in a tight cup game Vs them 1-0.
Am I disappointed, yeah, because in an ideal world I want to win everything, but realistically we don't yet have the squad for that. There's still gaps in the squad we are trying to fill, that's why we are still active in the January window.

I knew with his comments in the days leading up to the game he'd make changes, saying this game wouldn't have an impact on the league games because it's different circumstances. That seemed to filter through subconsciously to the players. Some might call that loser mentality, some might call it prioritisng other competitions. I suppose it depends what way your bread is buttered.

Fridge chutney

Arsenal fan speaking about big losses irony.
I think his point is that if Arsenal lost the match by 5 or 6, as can happen, it would be deflating as well as concerning. A narrow loss in a cup game can be deflating, but isn't particularly concerning, especially away from home.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well I was certainly more concerned after being pummeled 5-0 vs them last season, than I was being beat in a tight cup game Vs them 1-0.
Am I disappointed, yeah, because in an ideal world I want to win everything, but realistically we don't yet have the squad for that. There's still gaps in the squad we are trying to fill, that's why we are still active in the January window.

I knew with his comments in the days leading up to the game he'd make changes, saying this game wouldn't have an impact on the league games because it's different circumstances. That seemed to filter through subconsciously to the players. Some might call that loser mentality, some might call it prioritisng other competitions. I suppose it depends what way your bread is buttered.
I just think there’s no excuses in terms of prioritising given your schedule is one game a week. That’s why it doesn’t really wash I don’t think.

You’re only in the league and Europa now so not even sure what the prioritising thing is.

Sorry to sound dismissive but I just don’t get that mentality being a United fan. Obviously our fixtures are horrendous at the moment too.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
We made six changes to our starting lineup and lost by a single goal away to City in the FA Cup. I think there may be a hint of an overreaction here.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We made six changes to our starting lineup and lost by a single goal away to City in the FA Cup. I think there may be a hint of an overreaction here.
Yeah you did fine considering the weakened team. Chances of winning the league only boosted by being out of the cup.

TheReligion

Abusive
Slightly disingenuous given every one of your first team were on the pitch tonight..

Saliba, Martinelli, Partey, Odegaard, Nketiah, Gabriel, Xhaka…

It wasn’t a youth team or anything.

Anyway I hope you do win the league. I just find the whole acceptance of defeat a bit of a weak mindset. There was a league and cup double on offer AND the chance to jockey your biggest rival in both.

Blood Mage

Is there a good chance they dominate for the next couple of years? Their team is young, they have the best attack in the league, Caicedo will pretty much make their midfield the best in the league and they clearly have cash to throw around. City and United could have their work cut out over the next couple of years trying to catch them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
You had a free hit to play your best 11 at your rivals ground to see where you really are in terms of progression. It was literally a free hit. 1 game a week, in a lesser competition. You either beat them, which is a massive psychological advantage, or lose in which it doesn't matter as it's only the cup. It also means win or lose at least you have something to utilise when you face them twice in the league (like a tactic or a lesson learned).

Instead you ended up playing most of your first teamers from minute 1, ended up playing some more to finish the game, put in a nothing performance whilst Man City barely got out of first gear, and Arteta is left none the wiser. Extremely shortsighted from him.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I just think there’s no excuses in terms of prioritising given your schedule is one game a week. That’s why it doesn’t really wash I don’t think.

You’re only in the league and Europa now so not even sure what the prioritising thing is.

Sorry to sound dismissive but I just don’t get that mentality being a United fan. Obviously our fixtures are horrendous at the moment too.
It's 1 game a week currently, but won't be in the next few weeks. And it looks like we could have lost Partey to an injury, when his first choice replacement is out for the remainder of the season potentially. So yeah, there are quite rightly concerns about squad depth, that's why we bid for Caceido today.
If anyone watched Lokonga 2nd half they should see why Arsenal fans are worried.

TheReligion

Abusive
You had a free hit to play your best 11 at your rivals ground to see where you really are in terms of progression. It was literally a free hit. 1 game a week, in a lesser competition. You either beat them, which is a massive psychological advantage, or lose in which it doesn't matter as it's only the cup. It also means win or lose at least you have something to utilise when you face them twice in the league (like a tactic or a lesson learned).

Instead you ended up playing most of your first teamers from minute 1, ended up playing some more to finish the game, put in a nothing performance whilst Man City barely got out of first gear, and Arteta is left none the wiser. Extremely shortsighted from him.
Exactly this

TheRedHearted

How many more games are there in the FA Cup? Honestly better off having rest for the league, is it like 8 more games till the final?

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Meh. We won 4 FA cups in the last 9 years. Winning a Premier league or the EL is more significant.

Could it be that Arteta is saving up his game plan for Man City for a match where it really matters instead of playing his cards now and giving Guardiola a chance to adapt?

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t. You still have to play them twice in the league don’t you?

Yeah, and they have to play us knowing a loss would put them even further back

This is another thing rival fans/pundits are getting wrong with Arsenal.

Were not scared of City, were not intimidated by them and view our two games against them as an opportunity.

rio's upper lip

Were not scared of City, were not intimidated by them and view our two games against them as an opportunity.
Who are these "we"? Who do you claim to speak for? Fans or players?

Djemba-Djemba

You've lost 14 out of the last 15 to them!

Maybe you should try and be a bit intimidated by them, it might change the pattern of results.

Last edited:

Edwards6

Arsenal favourites for the title now then?

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Think it's more of a psychological play from Arteta. if he put out his best team and got beat it will probably affect the confidence of the players going into the League games. if the makeshift team had gotten a result or a narrow defeat like they did, he can spin that in their favour for the first team. He obviously doesn't mind getting knocked out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There was a moment in the game where Odegaard basically fouled someone just to shout at Lokonga for not being in the correct position. That first XI is drilled to the hills.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Disappointed by the loss, but good to know that we can keep Haaland quiet. The league will probably be decided on the outcome of those 2 matches against City.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

The team definitely looked incapable of raising their level against City. There's likely a mental block against this team. Call it fear or whatever you want, but there's really no positives to draw from last night.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Think it's more of a psychological play from Arteta. if he put out his best team and got beat it will probably affect the confidence of the players going into the League games. if the makeshift team had gotten a result or a narrow defeat like they did, he can spin that in their favour for the first team. He obviously doesn't mind getting knocked out.
Yep, I think that's was a big part of it.

The team definitely looked incapable of raising their level against City. There's likely a mental block against this team. Call it fear or whatever you want, but there's really no positives to draw from last night.
This is where I think you are wrong. I don't think we have a mental block any more against this team per say, or any team now. However, I do think we still have some PTSD against teams at certain grounds, like The Etihad, Anfield, and Old Trafford.

I think we'll fancy our chances vs anyone at home though, and after going to their ground and competing well with them, I think that's the message Arteta will be telling them. He already started it in the post match interview, saying we should have done better in vital moments and was disappointed we didn't get something out the game, and I think that's what he'll be trying to enforce on the players, that we went to their ground, and competed well.

I think people forget it's still probably the toughest ground in the country to go and get a result in a big game. In games vs the Top 6 there, they've beat everyone, including sticking stuck 6 past Man Utd, 4 past Chelsea, 4 past Spurs, 3 past Liverpool.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
The game was pretty low intensity.

I think both teams intensity will be raised when the league game occur, and thats good for us. We thrive on high intensity and the rush.

This result means nothing in the context of the league.

Zen86

I don’t know how people can judge last night as a point against Arsenal. It was a pretty dull match, but they certainly put in a better performance than City did despite the result.

Wishful thinking. They didn’t look scared or overwhelmed with the occasion, it was just a flat 1-0 game with zero atmosphere.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I don’t know how people can judge last night as a point against Arsenal. It was a pretty dull match, but they certainly put in a better performance than City did despite the result.

Wishful thinking. They didn’t look scared or overwhelmed with the occasion, it was just a flat 1-0 game with zero atmosphere.
Even if you think that is true, that would actually be worrying.

But it's not true anyhow, unless you only watched the first half (which was pretty even, Arsenal shaded it somewhat but it was poor from both teams). Second half, apart from a 10mn push from Arsenal, was cruise control from City. They were overall a bit shit, but actually better than Arsenal and deserved to win.

It's amazing how when Arsenal lose, people absolutely try to turn it into some positive and want to make out like they were better or moral victors cos they had a couple of shots on goal.

I guess everyone has been so used to them being shit over the years that this passes as good.

rajds89

Is there a good chance they dominate for the next couple of years? Their team is young, they have the best attack in the league, Caicedo will pretty much make their midfield the best in the league and they clearly have cash to throw around. City and United could have their work cut out over the next couple of years trying to catch them.
Oh please. They don’t have the best attack in the league, nor will it take City a couple of years to catch them. Stop this kind of nonsense.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Despite all the claims otherwise I think losing to City of all teams will have knocked them a little bit, I’ve never been a believer in going out of competitions early to focus on other ones either.

arthurka

I'm not sure where that myth gets said, because it's mentioned in the Caf nearly every day that he's been backed.
And he has and that is good, your club has been underfunded for years. Arsenal is where it's supposed to be you have a genuine chance of the title owners should back him for it.

the_cliff

Meh. We won 4 FA cups in the last 9 years. Winning a Premier league or the EL is more significant.

Could it be that Arteta is saving up his game plan for Man City for a match where it really matters instead of playing his cards now and giving Guardiola a chance to adapt?
Could it be Pep was doing the same thing ? :lol:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Even if you think that is true, that would actually be worrying.

But it's not true anyhow, unless you only watched the first half (which was pretty even, Arsenal shaded it somewhat but it was poor from both teams). Second half, apart from a 10mn push from Arsenal, was cruise control from City. They were overall a bit shit, but actually better than Arsenal and deserved to win.

It's amazing how when Arsenal lose, people absolutely try to turn it into some positive and want to make out like they were better or moral victors cos they had a couple of shots on goal.

I guess everyone has been so used to them being shit over the years that this passes as good.
What's with the salt RiP :lol:

I think most Arsenal supporters here have been quite objective in their assessment aside from a few cheeky windups here and there.

Why so serious.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Overthinking stuffs like his bald, new year enthusiast mentor I see.

Shinjch

City looked like they were there for the taking last night, but Arsenal didn't show enough in the end. An opportunity missed for them in a number of ways.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
What's with the salt RiP :lol:

I think most Arsenal supporters here have been quite objective in their assessment aside from a few cheeky windups here and there.

Why so serious.
Salt?

I just don't get why you're trying to find any positives in the game from yesterday! If it panned out like that for Utd, I'd be disappointed.

And I find it strange that in a year where there's so much to be positive about, so much progress made, so much consistency... Why it's so difficult for a fanbase to also recognise some shortcomings (which seems to be a common trait for Arsenal fans).

At the end of the day it doesn't matter much to me how you feel about it, but I'm on a message board and I was subjected to that game yesterday so I'm gonna discuss it.