Arsenal: how will you cope if Spurs actually win big ears?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If Spurs win it then it means they do a good job and we don't in the past 5 years. We just need to look in the mirror and see how we can do better to become competitive again. Spurs doesn't spend a lot of money in transfer or wages so we can't use this as excuse. They have been finished the season higher than us for couple seasons with less net transfer fee spent and less wage budget.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
They’ll be right up there with Villa. But the real question is will Nottingham Forest fans feel the pressure?

There’s no question it'll be irksome, but I think gooners will still sleep peacefully. It’ll be a different feeling if they start catching up on the 13 championships.

Irwin99

Hard to feel sorry for Arse. They had their multiple chances in 1998-2006. And they reached the UCL final two seasons too late.

Oporto vs Arsenal 2004, that would have been their title, I'm sure of it. But no, they blew it against a pre-Mourinho Chelsea.
Arsenal hugely underachieved in the CL under Wenger.

Particularly from 1998 to 2006, they should have won it at some point in that period. 2004 the most obvious example
That's the thing, apart from their final in 06 their record is appalling for such a big club and for a team that challenged United almost every year. Patrick Vieria never even got past the quarter finals with Arsenal :houllier:

You think of the Arsenal teams around 98 or 2002 and you expect them to have done a lot better but there were seasons where I think they didn't even get out of their group stage. I can't really remember anything about their champions league campaigns up until 2004, they were that forgettable.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
My Arsenal supporting mate is absolutely dreading it, says that their fans cannot say anything to Spurs fans if we win it - all that trophy banter, forever in our shadow stuff dies down until Arsenal win something significant again.

Never used to get the obsession with us and the constant need to reference Spurs all the time but I reckon it's because they have the most insecure and desperate fan base that find comfort in our failings in order to mask their own team's deficiencies as a club. In the past if they had a bad season or failed to match their ambition they would always look at us and laugh and say 'well at least we're not Spurs' because we were below them. They don't have that now, it's one thing regressing yourselves as a club but another thing when your dearest rivals are showing clear signs of progression on and off the pitch they have nothing to fall back on.

Doesn't bother me that much anyhow, banter is fun and I like rivalry besides if we win it all they're gonna do is move the goalposts yet again an say ‘now go the season unbeaten to prove there’s a power shift’ or something silly like that. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferrers

Supports
Chelsea
I have reconciled with myself that as long as Liverpool didn’t win the league I can live with them winning the champions league. The main concern is I can’t stand the thought of Spurs winning anything. Just want them to remain the team of almost but not quite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guy Incognito

Didn't Spurs win the league and domestic cups before Arsenal?

It'd probably sting Arsenal fans but won't really change the status of the two clubs.

hubbuh

My Arsenal supporting mate is absolutely dreading it, says that their fans cannot say anything to Spurs fans if we win it - all that trophy banter, forever in our shadow stuff dies down until Arsenal win something significant again.

Never used to get the obsession with us and the constant need to reference Spurs all the time but I reckon it's because they have the most insecure and desperate fan base that find comfort in our failings in order to mask their own team's deficiencies as a club. In the past if they had a bad season or failed to match their ambition they would always look at us and laugh and say 'well at least we're not Spurs' because we were below them. They don't have that now, it's one thing regressing yourselves as a club but another thing when your dearest rivals are showing clear signs of progression on and off the pitch they have nothing to fall back on.

Doesn't bother me that much anyhow, banter is fun and I like rivalry besides if we win it all they're gonna do is move the goalposts yet again an say 'NoW gO ThE sEaSOn UnBeAtEn To PrOvE tHeRe'S a Power sHiFt' or something silly like that. :D
Ew! Sounds bloody awful.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The fact that Tottenham already have more European trophies than Arsenal even if they don’t win the CL (3 vs. 2), is pretty noteworthy.

While Juve are the biggest underachievers in European Cup / CL history, Arsenal are surely are surely the biggest underachievers across all European competitions with 13 league titles (6 from the 70s onwards) and a record 13 FA Cups, but just the 1970 Fairs Cup and 1974 Cup Winners’ Cup in their trophy cabinet.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Never used to get the obsession with us and the constant need to reference Spurs all the time but I reckon it's because they have the most insecure and desperate fan base that find comfort in our failings in order to mask their own team's deficiencies as a club. :D
Wait, we're the ones who're obsessed? Funny that given your lot are the ones who release dvd's every time you win a derby.

When your teams fortunes suffer you tend to gain comfort from the failings of others and particularly your rivals. With the import your fanbase has placed on the derby in the past decade you've surely noticed this.

Got plenty of Spurs supporting friends and I'll be happy for them if you win it though I reckon I'll find a smile should you fall short.

MUFC OK

They’ll be right up there with Villa. But the real question is will Nottingham Forest fans feel the pressure?

There’s no question it'll be irksome, but I think gooners will still sleep peacefully. It’ll be a different feeling if they start catching up on the 13 championships.
Haha, can tell you'd be the most rattled Ars fan of all.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

You’re not fooling anyone :lol:

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
Wait, we're the ones who're obsessed? Funny that given your lot are the ones who release dvd's every time you win a derby.

When your teams fortunes suffer you tend to gain comfort from the failings of others and particularly your rivals. With the import your fanbase has placed on the derby in the past decade you've surely noticed this.

Got plenty of Spurs supporting friends and I'll be happy for them if you win it though I'm sure I'll find a smile should you fall short.
I didn't say we weren't obsessed, naturally smaller club's fans are meant to look up, not down so it would have been a bit weird if we were trying to constantly trying to get one over on you because we generally wouldn't have much to celebrate or poke fun at so when the opportunity came up we'd jump on it, I suppose it's a bit like how you must be feeling now. Regardless what I said is that I never understood your obsession with us seeing as you are the bigger club and were the better team and showing signs of progression on and off the pitch so the constant sly digs from your players let alone fans in our direction came across a bit strange to me, smacks of insecurity and desperation - Just like having an official name for the day Spurs can no longer finish above Arsenal in the league.

I know the DVD thing is a long running joke but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the club release them to make money out of mug fans, in fact I wouldn't put it past our chairman because that fits his M.O. You'll probably find DVD's of other memorable Spurs wins if you look hard enough, it's not all about you you know. :D

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
I didn't say we weren't obsessed, naturally smaller club's fans are meant to look up, not down so it would have been a bit weird if we were trying to constantly trying to get one over on you because we generally wouldn't have much to celebrate or poke fun at so when the opportunity came up we'd jump on it, I suppose it's a bit like how you must be feeling now. Regardless what I said is that I never understood your obsession with us seeing as you are the bigger club and were the better team and showing signs of progression on and off the pitch so the constant sly digs from your players let alone fans in our direction came across a bit strange to me, smacks of insecurity and desperation - Just like having an official name for the day Spurs can no longer finish above Arsenal in the league.

I know the DVD thing is a long running joke but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the club release them to make money out of mug fans, in fact I wouldn't put it past our chairman because that fits his M.O. You'll probably find DVD's of other memorable Spurs wins if you look hard enough, it's not all about you you know. :D
There's digs on both sides simply because we're rivals. Nothing more. Historically we're a bigger club but we've been floundering for years so naturally we fall back on the small victories and schadenfreude. Gives us something to enjoy while other clubs are snaffling all the trophies. You call it insecurity and desperation, I call it a bog-standard footballing rivalry.

Anyway we're getting OT a bit here so to bring it back I'll just say I've no qualms with you lot winning it. You're a good team, you're there on merit and most important of all Poch said he might leave if you win.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The fact the CL final is Liverpool and Spurs, two clubs that were definitely behind Arsenal 10 years ago, is already a damning indictment on the mismanagement of the entire club from the scouting department to medical to Wenger to Gazidis to Kroenke.

There are dozens and dozens of incidents that highlight the problems but the ones that really stand out:
  • +1 quid for Suarez
  • passing up on Kante for under 5M not once but twice on the advice of a scout stealing a living
  • keeping plays like Wilshere, Ramsay, Walcott et al far too long and never cashing in on their maximum value to freshen the team
  • overpaying squad players for 15 years
Every department at the club is guilty of this mismanagement and atrocious choices.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF

Doesn't bother me that much anyhow, banter is fun and I like rivalry besides if we win it all they're gonna do is move the goalposts yet again an say ‘now go the season unbeaten to prove there’s a power shift’ or something silly like that. :D
North London derby?

And, as much as I dislike it, Man City and Spurs have become the new Utd and Arse. For now. Liverpool and Chelsea remain the same (Pool currently powered-up by Klopp).