Arsenal Sign Bernd Leno

Infestissumam

good signing, but I think Leverkusen has done really well here. Selling Leno for €22m and signing Hradecky, who IMO is just as good, for free is great business.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
I've seen him play quite a few times and he's never convinced me.
He stagnated in the last two years and made some big errors in this time.
But he is already playing in the Bundesliga since 19, much international experience and think it's good for him, that he has finally a chance. Maybe a bit late.

He is surely isn't world class or some of the best, but even "solid" would help us. He was like Ter Stegen very talented (Ter Stegen better with his feet of course) and he improved a lot in Barcelona. Hopefully Leno too at Arsenal.

There aren't many alternatives on the market and i will take nearly everything ahead of Cech or Ospina.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I would say Ospina is pretty decent overall. Will decent be enough though?
In the position Arsenal are in, they really aren't gonna get a top-tier keeper, especially with the squad needing a lot of work. So with that, I think it'll be good business for them. Not too much money as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Liked him a lot when he was a teenager I thought he'd be the next big thing in the Courtois/DDG bracket.

That being said he hasn't fulfilled his potential so far and would struggle with the more physical forwards in Prem. It is an upgrade of what Arsenal have, but not decisive one.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Very bold of them to brief this before he's had his medical.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
England are going to be complaining about another shit German keeper next season, I can see our reputation is going down the hole.

Leno needs to improve vastly to be able to handle the pressure of a club like Arsenal.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
England are going to be complaining about another shit German keeper next season, I can see our reputation is going down the hole.

Leno needs to improve vastly to be able to handle the pressure of a club like Arsenal.
That ship set sail the very moment Klopp took charge of Liverpool. Leno has a huge mouintain to climb if he intends to top the bucktoothed one in the idiocy department.

Big Chomp

Roma are going to sign Lafont from Toulouse if they lose Allison he's the keeper arsenal and Liverpool should be looking at going to be a star the lad and he's huge and only 19.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Roma are going to sign Lafont from Toulouse if they lose Allison he's the keeper arsenal and Liverpool should be looking at going to be a star the lad and he's huge and only 19.
I would have much preferred Allison but German Sven seems focused on Leno

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Some insights from a Leverkusen fan who has watched him more or less week in week out since he arrived as a replacement for Adler. In the beginning, he was totally amazing. Was a direct improvement to Adler who himself was considered on par with Neuer for quite a while (and briefly looked to win the spot as Germany's number one keeper). However, as many posters in here already explained, he didn't really develop since then. Especially the last two years were characterized not only by stagnation but also many mistakes. He recently seemed to have problems with his nerves when he played on the big stage (like the national team). While he has brillant reflexes and is very good in one on ones, he ist not that great in controlling the box and his passing and ball control is very weak for a modern keeper. Probably the biggest weakness he has and it is a pity that he never worked on it.

However, he still has all the talent in the world. I feel like this step comes waaayy too late because he would've needed to get out of his comfort zone earlier in order to develop. As mentioned before, he was on par with Ter Stegen and looked like one of the biggest goal keeper prospects in the world a few years ago.

I think currently, there are few keepers who are truely world class: Neuer, De Gea, Courtois, Ter Stegen and Oblak. Additionally there's Donnaruma as a future candidate and Ederson as a brillant keeper in a specific system. That's seven players in total and typically Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern, United and City insist on having them in their teams (and probably will, sooner or later). Not much left for the Arsenals, Chelseas, Juves, Milans, Inters, Atleticos and so on theoretically. The tier below that is pretty broad and I think Leno belongs in there, just like many, many others so I think it is generally a good signing for Arsenal. And unlike many other goalkeepers in this tier he still has much potential for development, especially once he matures a little bit which he undoubtedly has to do now he's out of his comfort zone.

Besides that, I wish him good luck and am not too sad that he finally left us. Which says something about his development at Leverkusen, I guess.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Some insights from a Leverkusen fan who has watched him more or less week in week out since he arrived as a replacement for Adler. In the beginning, he was totally amazing. Was a direct improvement to Adler who himself was considered on par with Neuer for quite a while (and briefly looked to win the spot as Germany's number one keeper). However, as many posters in here already explained, he didn't really develop since then. Especially the last two years were characterized not only by stagnation but also many mistakes. He recently seemed to have problems with his nerves when he played on the big stage (like the national team). While he has brillant reflexes and is very good in one on ones, he ist not that great in controlling the box and his passing and ball control is very weak for a modern keeper. Probably the biggest weakness he has and it is a pity that he never worked on it.

However, he still has all the talent in the world. I feel like this step comes waaayy too late because he would've needed to get out of his comfort zone earlier in order to develop. As mentioned before, he was on par with Ter Stegen and looked like one of the biggest goal keeper prospects in the world a few years ago.

I think currently, there are few keepers who are truely world class: Neuer, De Gea, Courtois, Ter Stegen and Oblak. Additionally there's Donnaruma as a future candidate and Ederson as a brillant keeper in a specific system. That's seven players in total and typically Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern, United and City insist on having them in their teams (and probably will, sooner or later). Not much left for the Arsenals, Chelseas, Juves, Milans, Inters, Atleticos and so on theoretically. The tier below that is pretty broad and I think Leno belongs in there, just like many, many others so I think it is generally a good signing for Arsenal. And unlike many other goalkeepers in this tier he still has much potential for development, especially once he matures a little bit which he undoubtedly has to do now he's out of his comfort zone.

Besides that, I wish him good luck and am not too sad that he finally left us. Which says something about his development at Leverkusen, I guess.
Yep. I think he was the best available GK Arsenal could have got. Decent deal for all parties involved.

Devil81

I'm pretty certain he was in goal when we destroyed Leverkusen and he was bloody awful.

Mick321

He's shit, was shit last season for Leverkusen, who's fans wished him well but weren't exactly gutted he was going and I've seen nothing here to change my mind.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Good prediction. :lol:

Good job Ter Stegen has stepped up at Barca last 18 months otherwise it would be big problem area for Germany with Neuer in decline and Leno and Trapp both struggling at major european clubs.

I've always liked Timo Horn but he's loyal to Koln which you have to respect.

prateik

In a world where Kepa cost 71m, he looks very much like a 19.3m keeper.

Vadim

FIFA goal keeper. Good in video games, not actually that good in real life.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
This might have been a horrible game for him, but I think Leno can take it on the chin.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Good prediction. :lol:

Good job Ter Stegen has stepped up at Barca last 18 months otherwise it would be big problem area for Germany with Neuer in decline and Leno and Trapp both struggling at major european clubs.

I've always liked Timo Horn but he's loyal to Koln which you have to respect.
Ter Stegen has been immense, indeed.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He would look better in a team that isn't Arsenal. He's obviously not that good but the quality of chances they regularly give up are absurdly poor.

arthurka

He would look better in a team that isn't Arsenal. He's obviously not that good but the quality of chances they regularly give up are absurdly poor.
This, he is regularly left for dead by his defenders. Not all keepers can be DDG.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
This, he is regularly left for dead by his defenders. Not all keepers can be DDG.
His decision making is nowhere near top class. He wants to be Neuer but can't judge the breaks. Look at Southampton 3rd goal for that and he should've stayed on his line for the Brighton goal conceded.

arthurka

His decision making is nowhere near top class. He wants to be Neuer but can't judge the breaks. Look at Southampton 3rd goal for that and he should've stayed on his line for the Brighton goal conceded.
Not saying he is a top keeper, but his defenders are no closer being top class. But this is what you get for 20m today

MAME DIOUF 32

I'm not convinced he's any better than Mignolet or Sorensen or any other mid table goalkeeper.