Arsenal to investigate themselves over Pepe deal

Blood Mage

Just imagine if we'd signed this guy, the media would never let us forget about it. He's not a terrible player but my god, 72 million for someone that inconsistent and lazy. Almost makes Maguire look like a bargain.

Zen86

I’m pretty sure Pepe was regarded as a steal by many on here, we’d missed out on a great player once again etc.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Imagine you're Pepe hearing this. Got to do wonders for your confidence.

:lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’m pretty sure Pepe was regarded as a steal by many on here, we’d missed out on a great player once again etc.
You won't find one post by anyone calling £72m for this guy, a "steal".

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Imagine you're Pepe hearing this. Got to do wonders for your confidence.

:lol:
Arteta: 'You're doing great, keep up the good work!'

Board: 'How did we overpay so much for this bloody dud!'

GoldanoGraham

Just imagine if we'd signed this guy, the media would never let us forget about it. He's not a terrible player but my god, 72 million for someone that inconsistent and lazy. Almost makes Maguire look like a bargain.
Agreed!
Never understood why they signed him anyway? They had much more pressing needs than another forward - like 4 new defenders!
In relative terms they’ve spunked more cash than us!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
People will always go on about our flops and rightfully so, but nothing gets made of the dodged bullets. Good call.

dev1l

Sounds schizophrenic. Someone investigating himself :)

TsuWave

To be fair to him, he's got the most assists for Arsenal. He's not terrible, just needs to add more goals to his game.
I think he's awful. Would accept a player exchange for Daniel James though :wenger:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He just seems to be such a manufactured football i.e not really a natural. Like the Lukaku of wingers albeit with a better touch and nowhere near the end product.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Pepe has been underwhelming this season but lazy isn't a word I'd use to describe him. No idea why you think he's lazy

HJ12

Very bizarre by Arsenal. If you don't know who's involved in pulling the trigger for your record signing then what exactly do you know about what's going at the club? What's there to investigate? Such a clown move.

vodrake

Very odd move unless you're planning on flogging the player off, surely can't do his morale any good to hold a public investigation on why you wasted so much money on him

El Zoido

I don’t recall anyone calling him a “steal” but I saw plenty of United fans using as a stick to beat Ed with, “why can’t we close a transfer this efficiently.”

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Isn't like 15-20 m per year for next 4 years ? They did overpay but I think he will come good next season. People are being harsh. He is only 25 and still has time to improve.

Very odd move unless you're planning on flogging the player off, surely can't do his morale any good to hold a public investigation on why you wasted so much money on him
I’m not sure it’s the best way to encourage a buyer by holding an investigation To see if they were robbed and overpayed!

If, and clearly a big if, this is true then whoever has leaked it is an utter tool as it doesn’t do the club or the player any favours at all.

SATA

Why are they investigating themselves? Could have kept it hush hush and within if they want to do that. I mean, why even let the whole world know? It can’t be good for the club’s image and the player involved unless i missed something

Superunknown

You can always count on Arsenal to cheer up your day.

What's Pepe going to do? Sell himself? Make up the difference out of his own pocket? It's just silly. Why draw attention to your own transfer dealings like that for the whole world to gawk at?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
10 assists 8 goals in his first season in a very dysfunctional team with 0 creative midfielder. Yes we have overpayed by maybe 10/15M but you'd think we bought Lemar for 200M.
We had to pay more because of no CL and for Lille to accept our payment structure. Can't wait to see Sancho's numbers in his first season. He will undoubtedly get at least double that considering his price tag.
(i like Sancho, calm down)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why are they investigating themselves? Could have kept it hush hush and within if they want to do that. I mean, why even let the whole world know? It can’t be good for the club’s image and the player involved unless i missed something
It's Arsenal, they are chronically disfunctional.

Superunknown

10 assists 8 goals in his first season in a very dysfunctional team with 0 creative midfielder. Yes we have overpayed by maybe 10/15M but you'd think we bought Lemar for 200M.
We had to pay more because of no CL and for Lille to accept our payment structure. Can't wait to see Sancho's numbers in his first season. He will undoubtedly get at least double that considering his price tag.
(i like Sancho, calm down)
In fairness to Pepe, I don't think he's played quite as bad as it's been made out. You can see that he's trying to do the right things but it doesn't always come off. Looks like the type of player that will perform a lot better in his second season after a bit of time to adjust and get used to his team mates. Towards the end of the season, his performances started to look better.