Arsenal to investigate themselves over Pepe deal

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not really. He has quick feet but is far too easy to read and one-dimensional, loses the ball an insane amount. Don't think Arteta's tactics help him in that regard but he gets dispossessed a ton because he has no playmaking ability which the opposition have to think about. Link-up is nonexistent
You're watching him in terrible form and confidence.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
You're watching him in terrible form and confidence.
But the thing is that I don't see him regain his confidence at Arsenal.
Pepe is in a terrible downward spiral. Arteta and Emery completely mismanaged him, each time he had a somewhat good run of form, he was benched as soon as he had one bad game.
This season it's another story, he massively improved his defensive work under Arteta, but he's just awful going forward, he completely lost his confidence to beat a man 1 vs 1, and has no chemistry with Bellerin / Xhaka / Auba. His best games were with Maitland-Niles as RB and Laca as CF.
Now that Saka plays as a RW, there is no way back in the team for Pepe.
There is only one thing to do at this point : loan him to a PL club and hope he finds his mojo back before the end of this season. Arsenal would still have 3 players for RW : Saka / Willian / Nelson, it should be enough.
Bielsa loved Pepe at Lille, maybe he could work his magic with him at Leeds.

TwoSheds

But the thing is that I don't see him regain his confidence at Arsenal.
Pepe is in a terrible downward spiral. Arteta and Emery completely mismanaged him, each time he had a somewhat good run of form, he was benched as soon as he had one bad game.
This season it's another story, he massively improved his defensive work under Arteta, but he's just awful going forward, he completely lost his confidence to beat a man 1 vs 1, and has no chemistry with Bellerin / Xhaka / Auba. His best games were with Maitland-Niles as RB and Laca as CF.
Now that Saka plays as a RW, there is no way back in the team for Pepe.
There is only one thing to do at this point : loan him to a PL club and hope he finds his mojo back before the end of this season. Arsenal would still have 3 players for RW : Saka / Willian / Nelson, it should be enough.
Bielsa loved Pepe at Lille, maybe he could work his magic with him at Leeds.
I really like Saka but he's not fecking Messi. Arsenal fans! :lol:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I really like Saka but he's not fecking Messi. Arsenal fans! :lol:
You don't need to be Messi to take over Pepe's spot at the moment. He's Lingardesque, we need to get Everton on the phone and sort out a deal.

Tony247

Not worried about Pepe at all. First season, different managers and a dysfunctional team. We've seen glimpses of his talent and I have no doubt he will further improve for this upcoming season. People need to calm down. Arsenal will be a better team this year for sure.
Based on...?
Based on the fact that after the restart we've been functioning as a team better. The majority of players have also stepped up another level. My guess is that the belief in Arteta is strong.
Based on the fact they have Arteta and their record since he became manager. They won the FA CUP after the season they had, the guy has worked miracles and they will only get better, a lot better.

I am pretty sure you could have worked out Arsenal will be a better team.
That didn't age well :D

NoPace

He seems nailed on to be a guy who will get a move and terrorize Serie A to me.

TwoSheds

You don't need to be Messi to take over Pepe's spot at the moment. He's Lingardesque, we need to get Everton on the phone and sort out a deal.
Pépé is a proven decent player and a terrific dribbler. Just because Arteta can't get that out of him it doesn't mean it's not the case. You'd be a lot cheaper to sack some of the execs and Arteta than you would to sack Pepe.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pépé is a proven decent player and a terrific dribbler. Just because Arteta can't get that out of him it doesn't mean it's not the case. You'd be a lot cheaper to sack some of the execs and Arteta than you would to sack Pepe.
Proven with what? he had 1 good season in Ligue 1, half of those goals were penalties.

Arsenal got sucked in with the hype that's for sure.

hasn’t he been crap for 2 managers? How many more do they need to go through to see it’s player who is not good enough?

TheReligion

Abusive
Wait, it's Artetas fault Pepe still isn't playing that great after all this time?

Djemba-Djemba

Not proven at all though is he.

TwoSheds

Wait, it's Artetas fault Pepe still isn't playing that great after all this time?
I don't know, is it Willian, Aubameyang, Pepe, Lacazette, Ozil and Partey's fault or is it their dogshit manager? Like with United's underperformers in recent years it's probably a bit of both. It's the managers job to coach them to improve their play and manage them to improve their mentality though. There's certainly a lot more to be got out of some of those players and I think Pepe is one.

Xhaka has been at Arsenal for years and has always been a gimp, write him off if you want. Pepe has only been there for is it one and a half turbulent seasons? With a nasty air around the club and a team that isn't performing.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't know, is it Willian, Aubameyang, Pepe, Lacazette, Ozil and Partey's fault or is it their dogshit manager? Like with United's underperformers in recent years it's probably a bit of both. It's the managers job to coach them to improve their play and manage them to improve their mentality though. There's certainly a lot more to be got out of some of those players and I think Pepe is one.

Xhaka has been at Arsenal for years and has always been a gimp, write him off if you want. Pepe has only been there for is it one and a half turbulent seasons? With a nasty air around the club and a team that isn't performing.
He just doesn't seem to have the right attitude to me. Perhaps he's a fair weather player and Arsenal have too many of them for my liking.

I think given the fee people are entitled to criticise. I appreciate that's not the players fault but you know and accept it will attract scrutiny. He's been at the club a while now and just doesn't look a £70m player.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Where in France? So was Gervinho. They even called him the Ivoryan Ronaldinho :lol:

TwoSheds

He just doesn't seem to have the right attitude to me. Perhaps he's a fair weather player and Arsenal have too many of them for my liking.

I think given the fee people are entitled to criticise. I appreciate that's not the players fault but you know and accept it will attract scrutiny. He's been at the club a while now and just doesn't look a £70m player.
No but I think there were many times Nani for example didn't look like a £20m player. There were others where he looked like Ronaldo. Some players need a bit of support and love to get the best out of them and I think Pepe might be one. I think he's proven a lot more as a player than Arteta has as a coach and will also be a lot more expensive to replace.

I'm certainly not advocating Arsenal have to keep every underperforming player btw, clearly they need a mentality shift and part of that will be moving players on. But when you've got players who are ageing (e.g.Willian, maybe Luiz), some toxic characters (Ceballos, maybe Guendouzi?) and others who have proven they will let you down time and time again (Xhaka, possibly Ozil and Lacazette), they're the ones I would want to move on first.

There are other players too who are decent servants to the club but if we're honest ought to be very much squad players not starters e.g. Bellerin, Elneny. So much work to do and I wouldn't be prioritising Pepe who if someone could get him going could actually save them a lot of money IMO.

AshRK

That didn't age well :D
The FA cup win was the biggest false dawn, just like their win over us this season. Said it then, their style of play is not good and it is not sustainable in long run. Well I didn't know it wouldn't be sustainable is short run itself.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Reminder, Arteta has a 41% win record in the Premier League. He's just a very average Manager, honestly it's tricky to know how good Arsenal are until they actually bring in a competent Manager. You know you're in trouble when Newcastle have almost scored the same amount of goals as you after 18 games. Brighton has scored more than Arsenal this season ffs. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some of the french Ars fans when they signed Gervinho.
I mean he did look good in those youtube comps the same way as Pepe does.
Then specify the weirdos, Gervinho isn't known as the ivoirian Ronaldinho outside of their realm. :nono:

Bwuk

Biggest waste of £££ in the history of the league.

72m is criminal.

The Red Thinker

Nicolas Pepe is basically Anthony Martial with half the talent. I remember United getting a lot of grief for buying an 18 year old for £50 with add one. But Martial is a super talent, only his attitude can be problematic.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This signing alone makes Maguire, Fred and AWB absolute bargains. And Bruno the snab of the century. Although the latter is probably trues regardless of Pepe.

But yeah, Pepe/Arsenal. Fecking shite. Love to see it.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
72m should be getting you a ready made starting 11 top level footballer with potential to be absolutely world class. Pepe is neither.

Chief123

I’m sure Everton would feel if he ain’t good enough for Arsenal he ain’t good enough for them. Arsenal will need to target lesser teams than themselves to sell him to.