Kick-off
Fri, 25 January 2019 @ 7:55pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 74 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    Telecast Schedule and Info

............VS.............

Date - Friday, January 25 2019
    Kickoff Time - 1955 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Emirates Stadium, London

FA Cup form guide

Manchester United: W
    Arsenal: W

Previous Meetings In the FA Cup

Manchester United 1—2 Arsenal

Manchester United 2—0 Arsenal

Manchester United 4—0 Arsenal

Arsenal 0—0 Manchester United

Arsenal 0—1 Manchester United

All-Time Record Record In the FA Cup

Manchester United wins: 7
    Arsenal wins: 6
    Draws: 2

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Unai Emery

Team News

Manchester United

Chris Smalling, Marcos Rojo and Marouane Fellaini ruled out. Luke Shaw and Marcus Rashford doubtful.

Arsenal

Rob Holding, Danny Welbeck and Héctor Bellerín ruled out. Konstantinos Mavropanos, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Emile Smith-Rowe doubtful.

Know the opposition

Arsenal Football Club (also known as The Gunners), are a professional football club based in Holloway, London. In late 1886, a gaggle of workers from the Woolwich Arsenal Armament Factory decided to form a football team. They called themselves Dial Square as a reference to the sundial atop the entrance to the factory. On December 11, 1886, Dial Square romped to a 6-0 victory over Eastern Wanderers; the first game in their initial guise. Shortly afterwards the name ‘Royal Arsenal’ was adopted. Today, Arsenal are one of the most successful and popular clubs in the history of the English league, with a trophy haul than includes 13 League titles, 12 FA Cups, and 2 League Cups.

When Henry Norris decided that Arsenal needed a new manager in the summer of 1925, he could never have anticipated the impact of his next appointment. After flirting with relegation in the previous season, Chapman set about reinventing the Club with almost immediate effect, and in a broader sense helped move football from the amateur era into a professional one. In his first season at Highbury, the new manager steered the Gunners to an FA Cup Quarter Final and a second-place finish in the First Division; the highest league placing in their history. And unlike many of his contemporaries in Britain, Chapman was a fan of the continental game and counted among his friends Hugo Meisl and Jimmy Hogan, coaches of the Austrian Wunderteam of the 1930s.

In the mid '90s, they appointed another visionary in Arsène Wenger with former vice-chairman David Dein bringing him to the club in 1996 - Dein actually wanted to appoint him a year earlier before Bruce Rioch but the old school board did not want a foreign manager - and the next 20 years have been a remarkable and unforgettable period in the club’s history - with Arsenal building a reputation for playing an attractive, streamlined style of football that rivals some of the best teams in Europe while winning three league titles and seven FA Cups and boasting the likes of Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira, Robert Pirès, Cesc Fàbregas and Robin Van Persie in their ranks.

The club plays its home games at the Emirates Stadium, and has a bitter sporting rivalry with neighbors Tottenham Hotspur in a match termed the North London Derby, apart from a competitive rivalry against the other major clubs of the Premier League, especially Manchester United - in an affair that peaked in the late 1990s to early 2000s period.

Familiar Faces

Daniel Welbeck (2001-14), Henrikh Mkhitaryan (2016-18)

Referee

Craig Pawson.​

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
    Hopefully a strong lineup. Week between games. Let's go and knock em out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Going to be a tough game. 7 wins in a row in all competitions is great but these runs are very hard to keep up, and away to Arse will be tough. Hard to see us winning it tbh, just seems like one where we lose.

Its funny, if we dropped points today I would think we'll win since we want to bounce back. Whatever it should be a good game, just hope we're on it.

Alabaster Codify7

----------------------DDG----------------------
    Young-------Lindelöf-----Bailly---------Shaw
    ----------Herrera----------Matic----------------
    ------------------Pogba-------------------------
    Mata------------Rashford---------------Martial

SUBS - Sanchez (Mata), Lukaku (Rashford), Dalot (Shaw)

Arsenal 1 - 2 Man United
    We go 2-0 up within about 30mins, Martial and Mata.
    They score just after half-time, Aubameyang, and DDG has to pull off worldies for the final 20mins as we hang on and just about get it done.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

-------------Romero-------------
    Dalot--Bailly--Smalling--Shaw
    --McTominay--Pereira--Fred--
    Mata--------Lukaku--------Sanchez

Subs: Grant, Darmian, Herrera, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lingard

Couldn't care less about this game to be honest. Give me 3 points against Burnley and I'd take an FA Cup exit

InfiniteBoredom

Let’s do them. Field our strongest team and we can make a few changes depending on how the game goes later on.

JohnnyKills

Team should be...

Couldn't care less about this game to be honest. Give me 3 points against Burnley and I'd take an FA Cup exit
    Yep, completely agree with the team and sentiment.

Alemar

----------------------DDG----------------------
    Dalot-------Lindelöf-----Bailly-----------Shaw
    ----------Herrera----------Matic----------------
    ------------------Pogba-------------------------
    Sanchez------------Rashford-----------Martial

Bwuk

I’d play the same way we did against Spurs but have Sánchez at 9.

RedDevilRoshi

Strong team with a bit of rotation

De Gea

Young
    Lindelof
    Bailly
    Shaw

Herrera
    A.Pereira
    Pogba

Mata
    Lukaku
    Sanchez

subs:

Romero
    Dalot
    Darmian
    Matic
    Fred
    Lingard
    Rashford

Prediction: Arsenal 1-2 Man Utd
    Goalscorers: Lukaku & Sanchez

Alabaster Codify7

Actually, wouldn't be against Sanchez getting 80mins here. Maybe rest Marcus for the next league game and play Sanchez through the centre.

Walters_19_MuFc

This is the FA Cup. Unless we have any injuries, there's no way we should be 'resting' any players.

They'll probably go with a diamond as we saw today, so we'll probably match them like we did with Spurs.

De Gea
    Young Lindelof Jones Shaw
    Herrera Matic Pogba
    Lingard
    Rashford Martial​

Canagel

DDG
    Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw
    Herrera Fred
    Sanchez Pogba Martial
    Rashford

Bailly to deal with Arsenal pace upfront, Fred to inject energy in midfield, and Sanchez will be fired up.
    A few rotations but still a good enough side to get the win.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Arsenal fans will be all giddy after their result against Chelsea this evening. Should be a good game. Would love nothing more than to stuff these feckers and for Sanchez to score. Another 3-1 to United please.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Team should be...

Strange.
    It's still Arsenal, it's still the one cup we have a realistic chance of winning!

Not to mention that winning breeds winning. Let's keep this run going!

Member 115509

I hope OGS plays the strongest side possible, the FA Cup is a very real possibility for some silverware this season. It will be a tough game, so hopefully not to much in the way of rotation in the selection.

Bola

I'd go full strength for the cup. Even if we didn't have Burnly at home in the midweek, I would still prioritise silverware over a mid season game

Romero

Young, Jones, Lindelof, Shaw

Herrera, Matic, Pogba

Lingard, Rashford, Martial

The team is picking itself at the moment, but I had some question marks on my prefrreed selection above:

1) Do we continue our policy of starting Romero in domestic cups?

2) Was tempted to go Dalot, but his defensive positioning isn't there yet, so Young starts in the bigger games (for now)

3) I would start Sanchez over Lingard, but his lack of mins in the last 2 games suggests he is not fit to go straight into a big game

4) Jones is probably the player with the lowest level of performance under OGS in the 1st team. Not saying he is rubbish, but with Bailley back from suspension there is case for rotation. Personally I'd stick with this partnership and try Bailley again v Burnley. Also, the fact it was Darmian not Bailley that was brought on in the closing minutes v Brighton has raised an eyebrow

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
    Team should be...

Absolute madness. The FA Cup a trophy our history is littered with moments yet you’d rather chase down 4th place?

Our fan base is a constant source of embarrassment for all kinds of reasons, arrogance and becoming Arsenal is one of them.

Hope we play our strongest side and go all the way.

Bola

Strange.
    It's still Arsenal, it's still the one cup we have a realistic chance of winning!

Not to mention that winning breeds winning. Let's keep this run going!
    I hope OGS plays the strongest side possible, the FA Cup is a very real possibility for some silverware this season. It will be a tough game, so hopefully not to much in the way of rotation in the selection.
    I agree with you both, particularly as we are getting roughly a week between games.

We do have Burnley at home midweek after the cup game, so this is where I would rotate if it's needed

Havak

Pokemon master
    I've thought about this game quite a bit since the draw happened. Since there was little to no rotation for the Brighton game (with little reason for it honestly), I think we'll see a staggered rotation over this game and the Burnley one. For example, maybe around 2-3 changes here, and then 3-4 different changes when Burnley come to Old Trafford four days later.

For example, Shaw took ill so maybe he'll be left out for this trip, but play against Burnley. I think Ole might use this game to try Bailly again so that Jones can finally get a break since he had to deputise for Bailly last time he was given a game off. Ander Herrera will be needed here, but less-so against Burnley IMO. Rashford took a knock today, so he could be left on the bench as a precaution and Lukaku/Sanchez start. The main conundrum IMO is how do we rest Matic over the coming games.

de Gea
    Young Bailly Lindelof Dalot
    Herrera Matic Pogba
    Lingard Lukaku Martial
    ---
    Romero; Darmian, Jones; Fred, Mata; Sanchez, Rashford​

Member 115509

I agree with you both, particularly as we are getting roughly a week between games.

We do have Burnley at home midweek after the cup game, so this is where I would rotate if it's needed
    Yes. United are aiming for top four and the Cup - I think the CL is a bridge too far at the moment, but the PSG tie is basically a free hit as United are pretty huge underdogs - but you would think the Burnley game is one where United could afford to make a few changes but a strong side is needed for the Arsenal game.
    It's all about juggling United's playing resources I suppose, hopefully OGS will get it right with probably a little bit of help from Fergie.

Trizy

6 days rest. I'd play our strongest team with the exception of Shaw in for Dalot and Sanchez in for Lingard.

I'd have Fred ready for Herrera too as soon as he gets tired.

JMack1234

I'd put in Fred, Alexis and Romero and keep the rest of them.

God I want to win this game.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
    Tough but an exciting tie, hope we show bit more composure than we've in past 2 games though. Rushed it too much at times, Arsenal will test our defence but I hope we take the game to them. Difficult tie to call but I hope we can get a win otherwise..

Will have to see more of this :lol:

Jig1234

I'm attending this one. Looking forward to it. Arsenal will be up for it after their win vs Chelsea but I think we are capable of beating them. Just gotta hope the run continues.

I was lucky enough to see us beat Spurs last week at Wembley. Hopefully my luck hasn't run out. C'mon :devil:

Bola

Wonder how Arsenal will approach this?

I always think of them as cup rotators in the earlier rounds, while they strike me as a club who would prioritise a Champs League spot given their ownership. They may be biased thinking on my part mind

el3mel

Same lineup.

Ddg
    Young - Jones - Lindelof - Shaw
    Herrera - Matic - Pogba
    Lingard - Rash - Martial.
    Lukaku may start though if Rash is injured. Won't be a surprise if Sanchez gets a game ahead of Lingard as well. I guess we will know more from the presser.

Don't know, I was predicting a 2-2 vs Spurs but think there's a good chance we might lose here.

Irish Jet

Supports
    Anyone but Rashford
    This XI could be anything. Hardest to predict this season. We need to make changes but this is the best chance at silverware. Ole will want it but probably also wants to get some big players a start.

De Gea

Valencia Lindelof Bailly Shaw

Pereira Matic Pogba

Mata Lukaku Alexis
    2-2. Beat them in the replay.

Patrick08

Same lineup.

Ddg
    Young - Jones - Lindelof - Shaw
    Herrera - Matic - Pogba
    Lingard - Rash - Martial.
    Lukaku may start though if Rash is injured. Won't be a surprise if Sanchez gets a game ahead of Lingard as well. I guess we will know more from the presser.

Don't know, I was predicting a 2-2 vs Spurs but think there's a good chance we might lose here.
    Jones? Really?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 494 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win