Arteta tested positive for Corona Virus

meamth

FA: lets put a vote that this season never happened.

19 clubs: Agreed.
1 club : this is our year....No.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I don't even care if you have too give the title too Liverpool. Just cancel the whole thing at this point. We need too get a handle on this and near enough half a million people in enclosed spaces in temperatures where it can thrive is an absolute joke. What is there too think about at this point ? feck money, people are going too die.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm convinced the whole world's on crack.

ti vu

Some people...

With common flu, you can give them medicine and let them stay at home, only dealing with serious cases at health care centers. Here with Wuhan virus, once fever symptom kicks in, it requires treatment and support.

The difference in having a cure is that you don’t have to invest all the resource to care for patients despite it’s but a gamble. Even with recovered case, there is no telling how soon they can get infected again, because there is no vaccine! The more it spreads, the more available resource being eaten up along shut down of production.

There is no telling who would recover after being infected with Wuhan virus, hence first come first serve approach. Cases keep flocking to the hospitals. Even at highest alert level, and all resource being thrown at it, people still die at alarming rate. This is not the same with flu where many people kinda underestimate the disease and go untreated causing unnecessary casualties, not because the deadliness level of the disease.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You have incorrect information, mate. Let me share some data with you.

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#who-03-03-20

The "far fewer than 1%" means 0.1 for US, for instance. According to CDC this season there were at most 49M flu infections in the US, out of which at most 52,000 died https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

which means, with influenza the death rate is 52K/49M = 0.1% i.e. Corona is 34 times more deadly! By all indications it is way worse in elderly population, according to some reports reaching 15% mortality rate in people 70 or older.

Even bigger issue is the hospitalization rate. According to the same CDC data, only 1% of flu patients needed hospitalization. This is because our bodies are used to Influenza and most people also take seasonal flu vaccination shots. Corona is a new virus, with no antibodies and no vaccination. Therefore, a lot of people who get it need hospitalization. This is the biggest danger since no medical system, in any country is prepared for the volume, unless we slow the spread down. Which is why it is absolutely critical social distancing measures to be taken immediately.

Here's the infographic explaining the importance of social distancing and slowing the spread down:

Based on this evidence, your claim (which I am sure you've heard from others) that "it is just flu" is not only false, it is very dangerous. And we have a clear example how Italy turned into a horror-show by not taking threat seriously and not slowing spread. Their medical system is so overwhelmed, they do not even answer calls for people with pre-existing problems and people over 65 years old - just letting them die. How is that for - maybe taking things more seriously?
I read the contrary that italt actually has one of the best manpower for handling viral outbreak. And the biggest number coming from.there is because they actually knows what to do and actually tested a whole lot more people.

justboy68

I presented no reasoning. Only numbers.
Numbers that could mislead people. More people who contract Covid-19 are dying from it. Vastly more. 1 in 8 needing intensive care and that includes plenty of younger people too.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Numbers that could mislead people. More people who contract Covid-19 are dying from it. Vastly more. 1 in 8 needing intensive care and that includes plenty of younger people too.
Mislead people or calm some people the feck down. I think the most reasonable response is probably somewhere in the middle of not even bothering to practice basic hygiene and turning up to work/school come hell or high water on one side, and everybody locking themselves indoors, cancelling everything, and hoarding bog roll on the other. For the flu, and for this.

UmbroDays

Even though I was planning to go to my first away game on Sunday, I say it’s time to shut it down.

You can’t have 60k+ people all travelling to one location whilst a deadly pandemic is occurring. What the country should do is reduce the possibility of this spreading which means to cancel large gatherings.

NBA has had no issue doing it, Italy’s hasn’t, etc. But weirdly the two biggest nations in earth seems to just be letting major sporting events continue almost like a “No, well show them”.

I’m already permanently working from home but debating about going gym today. The. Again I think I had contracted COVID already a few weeks ago as I had the same flu symptoms (the cough and breathing was the worst bit) and was in close proximity to people from the continent

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Even though I was planning to go to my first away game on Sunday, I say it’s time to shut it down.

You can’t have 60k+ people all travelling to one location whilst a deadly pandemic is occurring. What the country should do is reduce the possibility of this spreading which means to cancel large gatherings.

NBA has had no issue doing it, Italy’s hasn’t, etc. But weirdly the two biggest nations in earth seems to just be letting major sporting events continue almost like a “No, well show them”.

I’m already permanently working from home but debating about going gym today. The. Again I think I had contracted COVID already a few weeks ago as I had the same flu symptoms (the cough and breathing was the worst bit) and was in close proximity to people from the continent
How are you feeling now ?

UmbroDays

How are you feeling now ?
Totally fine. It scared my fiancée as we’ve been together for over 2 years and she never saw me ill before.

After the fever, body aches, etc the coughing was so bad I’d literally wake myself from from sleep by it being so violent, and I am asthmatic so I generally struggle to breathe sometimes and that lasted almost 1.5 weeks

We almost called 111 but she got scared and I was too out of it to even do it myself. I self quarantined for most of that time anyway and my GF wasn’t sick, so we weren’t sure what it was

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Totally fine. It scared my fiancée as we’ve been together for over 2 years and she never saw me ill before.

After the fever, body aches, etc the coughing was so bad I’d literally wake myself from from sleep by it being so violent, and I am asthmatic so I generally struggle to breathe sometimes and that lasted almost 1.5 weeks

We almost called 111 but she got scared and I was too out of it to even do it myself. I self quarantined for most of that time anyway and my GF wasn’t sick, so we weren’t sure what it was
Good to hear that, wishing you full health. In december I endured a combo of malaria+chikungunya fever, for a month I felt like I was a zombie, high fever, no cough but the worst joint and muscle soreness I have ever experienced in my life. To this day, I still feel like my body isn't 100% soreness but it's getting better week after week. I just wonder how my body will react if Corona hits me. Malaria is horrible in terms of headaches but once diagnosed, one can heal pretty easily and quickly, chikungunya has been hitting Africa pretty hard these past few months, if/when Corona arrives, I feel like the death tolls in various countries will be terrible.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I read the contrary that italt actually has one of the best manpower for handling viral outbreak. And the biggest number coming from.there is because they actually knows what to do and actually tested a whole lot more people.
Yes they do have. And that is the whole point. They do have a very capable health-care system, they are no weak, third-world country and yet - it is beyond any doubt that their healthcare system got overwhelmed and they are incapable of dealing with the current volume of patients. Slowing. down. spread. is. key. And it starts with social distancing, it starts with taking decisive, critical steps expediently and thoughtfully. Something we don't really see being done in the US or UK. Not enough. And most importantly - "it's just a flu" thinking is fatally wrong and deadly, in this situation. It is not just flu

NewGlory

No. Far, far more people are dying from the flu. The WHO estimate between 290,000 to 650,000 every year.
Corona just started. If we fail to get in front of it and slow it down, it is estimated that anywhere from 60MM - 100MM people may die. How is that for a large number?

Here's another large number: "about 1.5 million Americans may die. The panelists did not disagree with our estimate. This compares to seasonal flu’s average of 50K Americans per year".

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/notes-from-ucsf-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-

1.5 million deaths, just in the united states! And that is not the worst case scenario

WHO did not declare Corona a global pandemic because it's something mundane. Clearly it is a very serious global health problem, and don't take it from me, take it from WHO itself: "“We are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity and by the alarming levels of inaction,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said."

This is not said to start panicking and emptying out all of the toilet paper at a local store (why do people do that?), this is to start taking this shit seriously and slow down its spread by being fecking responsible. By social distancing.

Last edited:

Schmeichel=God

I’m already permanently working from home but debating about going gym today.
I thought about going to the gym, and then I thought about Aircon and decided I should probably avoid it.

I reckon an overwhelmingly huge proportion of us will end up carrying the virus; and yes it's more about staging the load on health services than actually avoiding infection. Great. But how long does this social distancing need to go on for? Any point in doing it for say 2, 3 months only for it to just explode again as people ramp up activities once more.

For someone like you who has probably had it and recovered, I wonder whether it's wise to go to a gym yet. Has your body 100% controlled the virus. Could you relapse if not re-infect.

Then, moving forward, considering how many subtypes/clades of Flu there are, how much do we really know about how Covid-19 will or will not mutate. Whilst it's mooted there are two strands of it, is that really the limit (although some experts say the papers categorising it as more than one are jumping the gun)...and how soon could this turn into something that reinfects us throughout our lives.

I've not had to work recently, so I've not been in packed offices/not used public transport/nor gathered in large groups or congested areas. A fairly lucky time for such in some respects. However....magnificently (sarcasm) I live with a friend whose current 'romantic' interest, who works in multiple jobs in people packed environments, has suddenly started periodically violently coughing, and as of tonight doing so to the point of wretching/throwing up.

So I thoroughly expect my fluke of exposure management to be in vain as the house proceeds to get covered in her splutter molecules, and inevitably his carrying it too.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If they don't cancel the season now then I can only see matters getting worse.
More players and staff getting the virus and then potentially more fans.
Stupid decision so far by the government to sit back and essentially do little or nothing.

Woodzy

fecking hell, did it honestly take a Premier League manager getting the virus to spring them into action?

Woodzy

Some people...

With common flu, you can give them medicine and let them stay at home, only dealing with serious cases at health care centers. Here with Wuhan virus, once fever symptom kicks in, it requires treatment and support.

The difference in having a cure is that you don’t have to invest all the resource to care for patients despite it’s but a gamble. Even with recovered case, there is no telling how soon they can get infected again, because there is no vaccine! The more it spreads, the more available resource being eaten up along shut down of production.

There is no telling who would recover after being infected with Wuhan virus, hence first come first serve approach. Cases keep flocking to the hospitals. Even at highest alert level, and all resource being thrown at it, people still die at alarming rate. This is not the same with flu where many people kinda underestimate the disease and go untreated causing unnecessary casualties, not because the deadliness level of the disease.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you can’t catch the same virus more than once.

My school days fail me but don’t you just build an immunity to that virus, which is why the virus goes away in the first place

NewGlory

My school days fail me but don’t you just build an immunity to that virus, which is why the virus goes away in the first place
Not sure it is true even for common cold. Have you never gotten sick multiple times during a season? I have.

Anyway, since covid-19 is a new virus - they don't know whether you can or cannot. Some people have gotten sick again with COVID-19 after seemingly having recovered. They dont know if these people had not recovered in the first place (flawed testing) or if they got reinfected

Last edited:

theklr

Sooo... this means Spurs will be back to full strength before we play them :(

kidding ofcourse...

Siorac

Depends on the virus. The rhinoviruses that cause the common cold, for example. They have so many different strains with different serotypes that to this day there's no effective vaccine and no immunity.

Pep's Suit

I think in 1/5 cases here symptoms returned in following two weeks after patients were 'cured'.

Pep's Suit

How many people are tested in UK? Because officially there's just 8.7 cases per 1 million people. Seems ridiculously low. Source

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Surely that is the league done for a period now. With a few teams having to go into isolation you might as well suspend and pick it up later if you can.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He is always been a knob for most of his life. When people are dying he is still risking lives by taking it easy.

Just because of his stupid decisions and allowing people to gether in mass numbers, even a single person dies that family will never forgive him.

Sometimes losing a person will have a massive impoact on family and the whole family can be handicapped. Football is not more valuble than a life.
Boris is thinking purely about the financial impact of going into lockdown.
He would rather some people die, than put the economy at risk.