Arthur Melo - Juventus's old number five

Deery

Dreary
Something seems off with this transfer, why would you pay £72.5m for a player that doesn’t always start for Barca and you don’t really need..

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
No way.. he is not worth £72m
Expect an inflated fee for Pjanic who will go the other way

Something seems off with this transfer, why would you pay £72.5m for a player that doesn’t always start for Barca and you don’t really need..
Juve desperately need a new midfielder, their midfield has been subpar all season

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Probably because they are getting a great deal. I fully expect a 30 year old Pjanic to go to Barca in the coming weeks for 40 odd million.

Juve will get a younger model they fancied, while not spending a lot of cash (which they hate doing)

Barcelona get short term cover and some much needed cash.

Of course, as always with current Barca, they aren’t thinking about the future and the age of their squad.

This will become more apparent when we get a daft combo of Dembele/Todibo/Umtiti/Coutinho for Neymar in the summer

gajender

It's most probably creative accounting on part of Juventus and Barcelona now watch Barcelona move for Pjanic for around £55-60 m otherwise this deal probably won't happen.

romufc

Juve desperately need a new midfielder, their midfield has been subpar all season
Juve actually have a few midfielders
Pjanic, Bentencaur, Khedira, Ramsey, Rabiot, Matuidi.

I know 3 of them are 30+ but they got rid of Can as well.

Deery

Dreary

Probably because they are getting a great deal. I fully expect a 30 year old Pjanic to go to Barca in the coming weeks for 40 odd million.

Juve will get a younger model they fancied, while not spending a lot of cash (which they hate doing)

Barcelona get short term cover and some much needed cash.

Of course, as always with current Barca, they aren’t thinking about the future and the age of their squad.

This will become more apparent when we get a daft combo of Dembele/Todibo/Umtiti/Coutinho for Neymar in the summer
It's most probably creative accounting on part of Juventus and Barcelona now watch Barcelona move for Pjanic for around £55-60 m otherwise this deal probably won't happen.
You know something is up where Juve is involved and they still have Ramsey on £400k a week, does he stay or go

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You know something is up where Juve is involved and they still have Ramsey on £400k a week, does he stay or go
Someone stupid like Newcastle will rock up and not only take on his salary, but pay for the privilege. That’s just what it’s like being Juventus.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What’s the advantage of both clubs paying inflated fees? Surely if it’s an FFP loophole it doesn’t matter, it’s the net spend that counts.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Juve actually have a few midfielders
Pjanic, Bentencaur, Khedira, Ramsey, Rabiot, Matuidi.

I know 3 of them are 30+ but they got rid of Can as well.
They're all at a similar level, all of them decent but none of them have been elite. Pjanic can be but he's been off form for quite some time now, mostly because of the amount of games he has to play due to no credible alternative to his position.

Besides, Khedira is only fit for 5 games a year and Ramsey is only fit for half the season too so they actually have had some depth problems at times.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
They did get the players to waive 4 months of wages.
Cheap and poor are not the same thing. Juve’s owners are filthy rich.

The Agnelli family have a net worth 3 times more than the Glazers, for instance.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What’s the advantage of both clubs paying inflated fees? Surely if it’s an FFP loophole it doesn’t matter, it’s the net spend that counts.
It matters. I think transfer income will be counted in one go, whereas transfer spend will be divided by length of contract. Apart from that there is book value stuff.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It matters. I think transfer income will be counted in one go, whereas transfer spend will be divided by length of contract. Apart from that there is book value stuff.
Ahh ok, that makes more sense. Cheers.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Barca have a really weird transfer policy with players last 5 years.

I presume they're getting Pjanic in the deal so very's good but he is 30 so 2-3 good years and he'll need to be replaced like Rakitic, Griezmann, Suarez, Pigue, Alba..........and Messi.

Are they banking on La Masia hitting jackpot again around 2023? Feels to me like they really need to sort themselves out with sporting director as this sort of policy will massively weaken them in the post Messi era.
Junior Firpo is pretty much Alba's replacement. De Jong is also pretty much Rakitic's replacement. But still, they got lot of ageing players and those players are their key players. May be they think the money is good to sell Melo and going to use it as a fund to sign new players in attack, Pjanic could cost cheaper though.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Junior Firpo is pretty much Alba's replacement. De Jong is also pretty much Rakitic's replacement. But still, they got lot of ageing players and those players are their key players. May be they think the money is good to sell Melo and going to use it as a fund to sign new players in attack, Pjanic could cost cheaper though.
Then it doesn't make sense to buy Pjanic. They could sell Arthur and use the money for Havertz, exemplarily. Except they are going for an attacking option instead of a midfielder, like Neymar. But I can't imagine that in the post-Corona market.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Then it doesn't make sense to buy Pjanic. They could sell Arthur and use the money for Havertz, exemplarily. Except they are going for an attacking option instead of a midfielder, like Neymar. But I can't imagine that in the post-Corona market.
I won't be surprised if Pjanic is signed for a short term replacement for Busquets or rotation with him.

Munkehboi

Does sound like they are manipulating the market a little here.

I'd spectulate that the difference in transfer values between the two players is around £20 mil. They can essesntially do a deal for the pair and Juve pay £20mil for Arthur and Barce get Pjanic for free but that obvisouly lowers the values of the players. With all the talk about the diminshed value of players since Covid, it's in the best interests of the tops teams to attempt to retain the pre-pandemic tranfer values of their top assets.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pjanic > Melo to me if we ignore the age. However, need to start questioning why are they so keen to sign all these ageing players given they already have too many. However, I do think selling Melo for 72m is probably the right thing.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is quite odd.

Pjanic, Busquets and De Jong are best in a holding role. Don't see why Barca would go for Pjanic.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Does sound like they are manipulating the market a little here.

I'd spectulate that the difference in transfer values between the two players is around £20 mil. They can essesntially do a deal for the pair and Juve pay £20mil for Arthur and Barce get Pjanic for free but that obvisouly lowers the values of the players. With all the talk about the diminshed value of players since Covid, it's in the best interests of the tops teams to attempt to retain the pre-pandemic tranfer values of their top assets.
If I'm not mistaken, according to IFRS, you can activate a tramsfer fee and then depreciate it over the course of the contract. Pjanic should already be depreciated while the 'asset' Arthur is probably also valued around 10m or something along those lines given that he was signed for around 30m I believe. So according the this, both teams would profit from the move on the balance sheet. That could allow them to get a better loan deal since the club is "healthier".

Theoretically, they could switch players back neyt season and still be richer than they were before. Very weird system.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
De ligt, Bentancur, Arthur is starting to not to look too bad for Juventus.

If they manage to add a a few up an coming italian players like Tonali or Zaniolo - then they start to look pretty good.

Except the goalkeeper ofcourse.

Skills

Snitch
If I'm not mistaken, according to IFRS, you can activate a tramsfer fee and then depreciate it over the course of the contract. Pjanic should already be depreciated while the 'asset' Arthur is probably also valued around 10m or something along those lines given that he was signed for around 30m I believe. So according the this, both teams would profit from the move on the balance sheet. That could allow them to get a better loan deal since the club is "healthier".

Theoretically, they could switch players back neyt season and still be richer than they were before. Very weird system.
Barca have a history of doing this. Pretty sure they did the same when they sold Bojan to Roma with a compulsory option to rebuy him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Barca have a really weird transfer policy with players last 5 years.

I presume they're getting Pjanic in the deal so very's good but he is 30 so 2-3 good years and he'll need to be replaced like Rakitic, Griezmann, Suarez, Pigue, Alba..........and Messi.

Are they banking on La Masia hitting jackpot again around 2023? Feels to me like they really need to sort themselves out with sporting director as this sort of policy will massively weaken them in the post Messi era.
I’d go all in on the short term if I had just a couple more years of Messi.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

If they manage to add a a few up an coming italian players like Tonali or Zaniolo - then they start to look pretty good.

Except the goalkeeper ofcourse.
They bought Kulusevski, as well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They're all at a similar level, all of them decent but none of them have been elite. Pjanic can be but he's been off form for quite some time now, mostly because of the amount of games he has to play due to no credible alternative to his position.

Besides, Khedira is only fit for 5 games a year and Ramsey is only fit for half the season too so they actually have had some depth problems at times.
Amuses me it's yet another season where this great Adrien Rabiot has done very little. Way some talk about him it's like he's Cantona/Zidane/Pogba rolled into one. Probably ripe for a big money premier league move by now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I’d go all in on the short term if I had just a couple more years of Messi.
I'd forgot about Vidal who's been a regular starter for them this season.

If you look at their line up tonight v Bilbao they've got Pique, Alba, Vidal, Busquets, Suarez, Messi all over 30. Take out Arthur and add Pjanic to that and over half their regular 11 would be over 30. No wonder they blow up so much late on in the champions league. Greizmann is 29 so will be in that category next season. I know they have Dembele coming back but he's always getting linked in swop deals.

Real Madrid also have quite a few players in the 29-33 range but just feels to me they're planning for the next 5 years a little better with Vinicius, Rodrygo and also Odegaard to come back from loan probably after next season.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Amuses me it's yet another season where this great Adrien Rabiot has done very little. Way some talk about him it's like he's Cantona/Zidane/Pogba rolled into one. Probably ripe for a big money premier league move by now.
Rabiot has all the tools to be a very good player but his attitude makes him fall short. If he had the tenacity of Matuidi or Bentancur then he'd be incredible.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Of course the deals will be to balance the books but then i would have signed at least Rabiot (if Bentancur was unlikely).

It will get really ugly on and off the pitch for Barca without Messi in a couple of years......Bartomeu and his team have ruined Barca :(

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
From what I understand they sell him for indiscipline, for several injuries that lead to a drop in performance and for a matter of accounts.
However it is strange that with the few midfielders of that type that are available they won´t give him another chance.
It reminds me a bit of Snejder's departure from Madrid.
A few months ago I read an article in AS titled "Arthur, the great disappointment of Valverde". https://as.com/futbol/2020/01/15/primera/1579074962_478690.html
They wrote about the continuous clashes with Valverde/club, and "acts of indiscipline." Going to a party with Neymar before the clásico, practicing snowboarding, getting injured, and not being able to recover properly, surely by continuing to party.

Perhaps they are fed up with giving him opportunities and consider that it is not worth waiting for him to change, being more profitable two or three good years of Pjanic, which at least gives the impression of being able to perform from the first minute.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Arthur is not as talented as people think he is. He has one special quality, his dribbling ability to evade pressure. He has many negative qualities that have not been covered in this thread:

- He does not have a creative bone in his body
- His forward passing is average at best
- His long passing is below average
- He is a bit of a party animal and undisciplined
- Injury prone
- Has horrible fitness and runs out of steam very quickly
- Despite playing deep, he is mediocre defensively

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona

They bought Kulusevski, as well.
They also have Demiral who is a beast.

Dybala is also still fairly young (or at least entering his prime).

Juve traditionally have a reputation for being an old team, but they actually have a very promising young core right now.