Arthur Melo - Juventus's old number five

Riz

Not sure what Barca get out of it. Unless their financial situation is really that bad that they need the deal to book the dodgy accounting. For footballing reasons it’s a crap deal, great for Juve though.

RORY65

:confused:

I’m so confused by this whole thing
These swaps to navigate FFP seem to becoming more common, Barca did one last year with Valencia swapping Cillessen for Neto. It speaks of the mismanagement at Barcelona though that a very promising young midfielder is being forced out due to it not working out there yet and due to them needing to fudge their accounts before 30 June.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thats quite a lot of money in this market... especially when he isn't really first team key player for Barca

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Arthur is not as talented as people think he is. He has one special quality, his dribbling ability to evade pressure. He has many negative qualities that have not been covered in this thread:

- He does not have a creative bone in his body
- His forward passing is average at best
- His long passing is below average
- He is a bit of a party animal and undisciplined
- Injury prone
- Has horrible fitness and runs out of steam very quickly
- Despite playing deep, he is mediocre defensively
I agree with this. He's nowhere as good as people claim he is. A lot of the time I find him to be underwhelming.

fps

Thats quite a lot of money in this market... especially when he isn't really first team key player for Barca
Except, correct me if I’m wrong, surely it’s not because it’s 10m euros difference and they can say whatever prices they like for accounting reasons presumably? How would it be beneficial to overprice these players like this?

DoomSlayer

These post-pandemic fees put our club in advantage to certain situations and disadvantage in others.

On one hand, our top players that might be pursued by other top clubs can retain their value and we can't be bullied into selling Pogba for a cut-price, as an example. On the other hand, the same sentiment goes for us and we won't be able to seriously negotiate the price down of someone like Sancho, which I fear will mean we go for someone else, since what Dormund are asking is just too much.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Its Pjanic + 10m.

People will be shitting on Arthur for his price tag when in reality its a great price for Juve..

Yagami

Good post resistant
Arthur is not as talented as people think he is. He has one special quality, his dribbling ability to evade pressure. He has many negative qualities that have not been covered in this thread:

- He does not have a creative bone in his body
- His forward passing is average at best
- His long passing is below average
- He is a bit of a party animal and undisciplined
- Injury prone
- Has horrible fitness and runs out of steam very quickly
- Despite playing deep, he is mediocre defensively
I've said this myself a few times on here.

Though, for me, his one good attribute in which he's probably better than anyone in (press resistance) is so good that despite all of his flaws on the pitch; of which there are many, he still is a good player because of that sole attribute.

NotThatSoph

Except, correct me if I’m wrong, surely it’s not because it’s 10m euros difference and they can say whatever prices they like for accounting reasons presumably? How would it be beneficial to overprice these players like this?
It's beneficial in the short term, harmful in the medium term and neutral long term.

Players are considered assets accounting wise, so their value is appreciated over the course of their contracts. When they sell Melo for €80, they recieve an €80 m accounting profit for the books. If they buy Pjanic for €70 m they will of course have to pay the €70 m according to the deal they do with Juve, but that's not how it's registered. If they give Pjanic a 4 year deal, then he's a €70 m asset that loses €70/4 m value per year, or €17.5 m. So, accounting wise they register an 80 million profit for the sale of Melo, a 17.5 million loss for Pjanic, and a net profit of 62.5 million.

This makes them able to spend more without breaching FFP. However, for the next three years after they'll register a 17.5 million loss each year, harming their ability to spend in accordance with FFP those years. It's a band-aid, basically.

This is a little bit simplified because Melo's book value has to be subtracted from this year's net profit. They bought him for 30 million, so if they gave him a 5 year deal that's 6 million per year. He's been there for two years, so he's now worth 18 million. Accounting profit from his sale is then (80 million - 18 million = 62 million), not 80 million, but this doesn't impact the benefits and drawbacks by inflating the fees like this.

Reactions: Invictus

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Can't wait for Messi to retire so that Barca finally becomes a midtable team

These swaps to navigate FFP seem to becoming more common, Barca did one last year with Valencia swapping Cillessen for Neto. It speaks of the mismanagement at Barcelona though that a very promising young midfielder is being forced out due to it not working out there yet and due to them needing to fudge their accounts before 30 June.
Think of all the money wasted on Griezmann/Dembele/Coutinho. It's crazy.

fps

It's beneficial in the short term, harmful in the medium term and neutral long term.

Players are considered assets accounting wise, so their value is appreciated over the course of their contracts. When they sell Melo for €80, they recieve an €80 m accounting profit for the books. If they buy Pjanic for €70 m they will of course have to pay the €70 m according to the deal they do with Juve, but that's not how it's registered. If they give Pjanic a 4 year deal, then he's a €70 m asset that loses €70/4 m value per year, or €17.5 m. So, accounting wise they register an 80 million profit for the sale of Melo, a 17.5 million loss for Pjanic, and a net profit of 62.5 million.

This makes them able to spend more without breaching FFP. However, for the next three years after they'll register a 17.5 million loss each year, harming their ability to spend in accordance with FFP those years. It's a band-aid, basically.

This is a little bit simplified because Melo's book value has to be subtracted from this year's net profit. They bought him for 30 million, so if they gave him a 5 year deal that's 6 million per year. He's been there for two years, so he's now worth 18 million. Accounting profit from his sale is then (80 million - 18 million = 62 million), not 80 million, but this doesn't impact the benefits and drawbacks by inflating the fees like this.
Great, really helpful, thanks!

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Don't they just brutally inflate the market and tie their own hands with that strategy? If they want to do the same next year (as in, artificially creating a bet profit), they'll have to resort to even bigger fake sums given that these 17.5m yearly losses will add up.
Also, don't agents often get % out of transfer fees? They needlessly give them even more with such transfer sums.

NotThatSoph

Don't they just brutally inflate the market and tie their own hands with that strategy? If they want to do the same next year (as in, artificially creating a bet profit), they'll have to resort to even bigger fake sums given that these 17.5m yearly losses will add up.
Also, don't agents often get % out of transfer fees? They needlessly give them even more with such transfer sums.
Considering that everyone probably knows what's going on, I doubt it will influence the market much, if at all. Barca and Juve will have some more room to buy, or to avoid selling, so that could have some impact but probably not a lot.

If they keep doing this, that's more interesting. I'd assume some governing bodies would be forced to look into things if it gets too crazy to ignore, though I'm sure they don't want to, and if they fail go get someone else to play ball with them then they're screwed. That doesn't mean they won't try, of course, football history is full of brutal economic stories. Short is, I don't know.

Agent fees, absolutely, that's an unnecessary cost they take on to do this, so me saying it's neutral long term financially wasn't strictly speaking correct.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
"The incoming "money" -- and it's worth repeating that the only cash on the move is €12m -- is immediate income in full. The outgoing cost is spread across the duration of their contracts through amortisation. Hey, presto, close to a €50m profit. Which is handy when it comes to FFP. The accountancy is more creative than the midfielders are."

Sid Lowe is a savage :lol:

tjb

This takes Juve's attention off Pogba for the forseeable future. Hopefully Madrid spunks on someone like Debruyne.

acnumber9

Is this something Juventus have done before with Danilo and Cancelo? Because that deal stunk to high heaven as well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nah, don't agree with that at all. Fair enough with Bale doing what he's doing at Madrid because he's still making himself available for selection. Actively running away and not returning while you're still under contract? Shitty.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
"The incoming "money" -- and it's worth repeating that the only cash on the move is €12m -- is immediate income in full. The outgoing cost is spread across the duration of their contracts through amortisation. Hey, presto, close to a €50m profit. Which is handy when it comes to FFP. The accountancy is more creative than the midfielders are."

Sid Lowe is a savage :lol:
:lol:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It's a business and he should honor his contract even if he's been sold. But since it's Barcelona, i love it :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
what a massive whopper he's turned out to be.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m normally on the players side on things like this, but at the end of the day he’s still under contract and agreed to join Juventus, so I’m not sure why he’s acting like this. Well, I know why he is. He’s extremely unprofessional and supposedly caught an STD before a Classico Derby last season.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I’m normally on the players side on things like this, but at the end of the day he’s still under contract and agreed to join Juventus, so I’m not sure why he’s acting like this. Well, I know why he is. He’s extremely unprofessional and supposedly caught an STD before a Classico Derby last season.
To be fair to him though, didn't he not want to leave and they basically made it impossible to be there anymore.
Of course he could have refused the Juve contract but maybe they've told him they'd never play him again

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's a business and he should honor his contract even if he's been sold. But since it's Barcelona, i love it :lol:
Barca get a taste of their own medicine. It's hard to feel sorry for them.

E-mal

Nah, don't agree with that at all. Fair enough with Bale doing what he's doing at Madrid because he's still making himself available for selection. Actively running away and not returning while you're still under contract? Shitty.
Well respect is both ways, he never wanted to go to juventus but was forcelly sold against his will as though he was a slave. At least give him the decency of where he wanted to go. Rather sad really from both ends.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Well respect is both ways, he never wanted to go to juventus but was forcelly sold against his will as though he was a slave. At least give him the decency of where he wanted to go. Rather sad really from both ends.
He's allowed to refuse the contract from Juve. When you sign a contract with a club you're essentially 'owned' by them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This isn't a thing

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah this is not how it works. He was free to refuse the transfer. A shitty situation to be in but this is not the NBA where you get traded across the country without your knowledge.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yeah this is not how it works. He was free to refuse the transfer. A shitty situation to be in but this is not the NBA where you get traded across the country without your knowledge.
I know we don't know what happens behind closed doors, but he came out and said he didn't want to leave.
He ended up leaving. Maybe Barca treated him like shit, telling him he wont play for the club ever again etc, basically forcing him out of the club.
Sure he could reject the Juve offer, but if the future at Barca was, you won't get back into this side, what choice did he have?

Imagine coming home and your Wife has just told you shes cheated on you, wants you to leave, but wait, before you go, can you just do the dishes

Gazza

I know we don't know what happens behind closed doors, but he came out and said he didn't want to leave.
He ended up leaving. Maybe Barca treated him like shit, telling him he wont play for the club ever again etc, basically forcing him out of the club.
Sure he could reject the Juve offer, but if the future at Barca was, you won't get back into this side, what choice did he have?

Imagine coming home and your Wife has just told you shes cheated on you, wants you to leave, but wait, before you go, can you just do the dishes
Completely disagree. This is not an ideal situation for a player, sure, but to suggest contractual obligations no longer apply because you feel hard done by, is ludicrous. Many players have been frozen out or put in the reserves when a manager decides they don't fit into their plans; most players keep their head down, fulfill their contractual obligations, and eventually get the move they want. They have rights too, and can refuse any move and continue to wait until the move they want comes along. You can feel sympathy for the way Arthur has been treated, but there is no excuse for not playing while you are under contract.

The wife analogy is so inane it doesn't need a response, but you and your wife are not contracted to stay together.

awop

Supports
Arsenal

As i said, a shitty situation to be in but you're trading Barca for Juventus, Barcelona for Turin, the slave comparison was inapt to say the least.Barca are cnts so i don't really blame him to want some revenge before leaving.If it was any other club, i would still expect the player to dig in for one more month and then leave.

Gazza

Trying hard not to slam the poster, but anyone who tries to compare this situation to slavery needs to give their head a wobble, at the very very least.