Arturo Vidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Juve want to sell. Just look how often they're coming out with quotes enticing bids, you just don't do that if you're desperate to keep a player. In that case, you shut up and say nothing or offer a firm denial and end the stories there. I reckon they're looking at Vidal's age, plus his knee injury, and trying to sell him while his price is this high.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Juve want to sell. Just look how often they're coming out with quotes enticing bids, you just don't do that if you're desperate to keep a player. In that case, you shut up and say nothing or offer a firm denial and end the stories there. I reckon they're looking at Vidal's age, plus his knee injury, and trying to sell him while his price is this high.
I really don't think it has anything to do with his knee.

I think it has everything to do with the fact he is 27 years old and they are stacked with quality in Midfield. They believe they can afford to lose him and still win the League and domestic titles and therefore £40m would be quite welcome to them now rather than let his value drop. They're not anywhere near a level where they could think about keeping him to build for the next level with is to win the Champions League so with that in mind, they can afford to lose him and now is when his value is at its peak.

I also think we are aware of this fact and that's why we are playing it cool and looking to get him for as little as possible as there is no competition for his signature right now.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Although he's a quality player, I feel like the muppet hype about signing him has to do with last year's failures and typical knee jerk response of throwing money at a problem to feel good about ourselves and the future. Much of that can be solved simply by a new manager, new system, and a reinvigorated confidence among the players.
So are you happy with our current midfield right now? I am not saying we need Vidal and no one else. I would actually like to see someone like De Jong at United just to strengthen our midfield. But hey if LVG can truly rejuvenate midfielders like Fletcher and Cleverley then kudos to him. But I think some are reading too much into the friendlies tbh, lets see how the likes of Valencia and Young play when faced against the likes of Sanchez, Walcott and Sterling. The point I am trying to make is that its a whole new ball game once you are in the EPL, which is one of the most competitive leagues in the world. We have faced decent oppositions but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

I've seen you make that statement a couple of times here in a rather negative manner. I assume you are referring to Tajfel's social identity theory where we assume this group identity and compare ourselves with other groups biasedly to boost our self-esteem. Its natural and most humans do that where people start referring to the group as 'we' and such to really gain a sense of belonging. Its normal to do that and its what makes us truly feel like part of the group. So its only natural for the in-group ones to make the group better. Its not egotistical or anything its just part of the process. When you start viewing it from a third person or objectively you kind of lose that sense of group identity. If you really want the club to splash the cash on a muppet signing then its fine, no need to stop yourself from thinking in that manner just to be more sensible or objective. Maybe I am reading too much into your comments. :nervous:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Vidal is hardly going to express his desire to leave if there is no concrete bid from us. If we are interested then we really should have or should be about to make a bid for him and see what happens from there.
That's the thing. I'm not 100% sure we're going to bid for him anytime soon, never mind the worry that Juve won't sell or Vidal won't want to come. Van Gaal said himself that he only buys young players.

I'm still optimistic about this though :nervous:

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Shocked that people suddenly have great confidence in our CM options after three meaningless friendlies that we played okay in.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So are you happy with our current midfield right now? I am not saying we need Vidal and no one else. I would actually like to see someone like De Jong at United just to strengthen our midfield. But hey if LVG can truly rejuvenate midfielders like Fletcher and Cleverley then kudos to him. But I think some are reading too much into the friendlies tbh, lets see how the likes of Valencia and Young play when faced against the likes of Sanchez, Walcott and Sterling. The point I am trying to make is that its a whole new ball game once you are in the EPL, which is one of the most competitive leagues in the world. We have faced decent oppositions but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

I've seen you make that statement a couple of times here in a rather negative manner. I assume you are referring to Tajfel's social identity theory where we assume this group identity and compare ourselves with other groups biasedly to boost our self-esteem. Its natural and most humans do that where people start referring to the group as 'we' and such to really gain a sense of belonging. Its normal to do that and its what makes us truly feel like part of the group. So its only natural for the in-group ones to make the group better. Its not egotistical or anything its just part of the process. When you start viewing it from a third person or objectively you kind of lose that sense of group identity. If you really want the club to splash the cash on a muppet signing then its fine, no need to stop yourself from thinking in that manner just to be more sensible or objective. Maybe I am reading too much into your comments. :nervous:
Hard to say for now as Carrick out and we don't know how Carrick and Herrera will turn out. I think Van Gaal may be interested in seeing how Carrick, Fletch, and Herrera work together.

elisha27

References to Vidal's age as a factor are strange. He's only just turned 27, which means he and Herrera are slightly over two years apart, yet Herrera is considered "young" while Vidal is too old to some.

If he were to join, he'd be the exact age (almost to the day) as Yaya Toure was when he joined City, and that transfer can hardly be considered bad value.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Shocked that people suddenly have great confidence in our CM options after three meaningless friendlies that we played okay in.
It's actually mental.

They're going to have a very rude awakening if Herrera picks up a knock at any time, especially in the next 3 months.

Sam

It's actually mental.

They're going to have a very rude awakening if Herrera picks up a knock at any time, especially in the next 3 months.
Yeah I'd agree with that, we quite clearly still need some quality in midfield.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
References to Vidal's age as a factor are strange. He's only just turned 27, which means he and Herrera are slightly over two years apart, yet Herrera is considered "young" while Vidal is too old to some.

If he were to join, he'd be the exact age (almost to the day) as Yaya Toure was when he joined City, and that transfer can hardly be considered bad value.
I don't think its unreasonable to want players who can stay with us for 8 or more years, similar to what we did with Rio, Evra, Vidic, Carrick etc

Ole240599

Would be very concerned about buying this 27 year old unless he does something about the bags under his eyes.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I don't think its unreasonable to want players who can stay with us for 8 or more years, similar to what we did with Rio, Evra, Vidic, Carrick etc
Yes but there can be exceptions to that transfer strategy. Look at Toure, he was 27 when he went to City and has been a huge success. We do not have to set a precedent for other transfers with this signing but we can make an exception given the quality of the player involved. We also signed Berbatov for a club record when he was 27. So exceptions should be made in special cases.

Stretford Red1978

Although he's a quality player, I feel like the muppet hype about signing him has to do with last year's failures and typical knee jerk response of throwing money at a problem to feel good about ourselves and the future. Much of that can be solved simply by a new manager, new system, and a reinvigorated confidence among the players.
This is exactly how I feel now to be honest! I think there will be signings but I actually don't care who now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes but there can be exceptions to that transfer strategy. Look at Toure, he was 27 when he went to City and has been a huge success. We do not have to set a precedent for other transfers with this signing but we can make an exception given the quality of the player involved. We also signed Berbatov for a club record when he was 27. So exceptions should be made in special cases.
We're obviously not City, who by the way bought Toure in the midst of their "enhanced investment" scheme of building their squad after the Sheikhs took over. They were blatantly attempting to buy success, so I don't think Toure is a good example; certainly not one United should be following.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
We're obviously not City, who by the way bought Toure in the midst of their "enhanced investment" scheme of building their squad after the Sheikhs took over. They were blatantly attempting to buy success, so I don't think Toure is a good example; certainly not one United should be following.
How about Zidane at 29 going to Real.

Just kidding, the Berbatov example will have to do then...

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
We're now in a position where success is essential and therefore buying a top player in that age bracket is also essential.

When you look at our squad it's still young, we used to have young (24 and under) and old (32 and over) but now the Old ones have mostly all left and we are left needing experience. Buying more players like Smalling and Jones isn't an option in my opinion. We need to bring the quality up right now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We're now in a position where success is essential and therefore buying a top player in that age bracket is also essential.

When you look at our squad it's still young, we used to have young (24 and under) and old (32 and over) but now the Old ones have mostly all left and we are left needing experience. Buying more players like Smalling and Jones isn't an option in my opinion. We need to bring the quality up right now.
I don't see success as guaranteed by signing a so called top player. In fact, there are no guarantees, as we learned with Veron, who at the time of his signing was one of the best in the business. What's more important than blindly believing that Vidal is the panacea, is for us to play as a galvanized team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which judging from the pre-season seems to be a work in progress. If Vidal fits into that, then great.

Canuckred64

I worry that LVG and the Board will feel the same way. Fletcher has looked good on the tour but he's coming back from a serious illness which unfortunately I know something about and the there is always the possibility that there will be a flair up. Cleverly just doesn't full me with confidence and I feel we need some proven talent in there. Whether it's Vidal, Strootman or somebody else, hopefully there will be somebody coming in before the window shuts.

Cathy Ferguson

The friendlies are obviously very important in our preparation for next season and we have played really well so far. Much much better than I thought we would.

We need at least one more CM and I think we'll sign one, but I have been impressed by Fletcher so far. I was afraid that he was one of the dead wood, but he is not. We should not be complacent but things look very good at the moment and I'm confident that LvG and his staff will get our house in order before the season starts, no more signings or not.

RustyS

I worry that LVG and the Board will feel the same way. Fletcher has looked good on the tour but he's coming back from a serious illness which unfortunately I know something about and the there is always the possibility that there will be a flair up. Cleverly just doesn't full me with confidence and I feel we need some proven talent in there. Whether it's Vidal, Strootman or somebody else, hopefully there will be somebody coming in before the window shuts.

And people wonder why Cleverley's confidence seems to be shot all the time? I would lose all confidence too and become shit if half of my fan base still can't spell my name after 14 years at the club. :p

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I don't see success as guaranteed by signing a so called top player. In fact, there are no guarantees, as we learned with Veron, who at the time of his signing was one of the best in the business. What's more important than blindly believing that Vidal is the panacea, is for us to play as a galvanized team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which judging from the pre-season seems to be a work in progress. If Vidal fits into that, then great.
I understand your logic but I don't think it applies in this case.

Your logic would apply to signing Reus at the moment. A player we all admire hugely and 90% of us as of last season would have loved to see him come here. However, like Veron back then, you'd have to look at the system we play and say "Well, where is he going to play?" He's a world class talent but he isn't the right signing for us right now.

Vidal on the other hand would fit like a glove into this system. He's tailor made for this team and squad. He could be used alongside Herrera as two box to box midfielders in the 3-5-2 system or he could equally sit deeper and play as a more disciplined defensive midfielder against the bigger teams. You can admire what Fletcher has been doing in a few pre-season friendlies but does he have the legs and quality to do that for the course of a whole season? I'm not convinced. Vidal on the other hand, I am certain he could.

Fletcher and Carrick would then make the ideal backups to those two. Both experienced, both been at the club for a long time.

RedOldBoy

Hopefully LVG learnt from his past mistakes and buys "big" where it is necessary and doesn't become "blind" for his own players. I'm not saying we have to buy Vidal but it is so obvious that we need more quality midfielders
Is that a pun in there ? (Blind).

Godfather

So instead of discussing why the fecker hasnt joined the team going to Asia you are talking about whether one of the best box to box midfielders would suit our system at all?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
This.

We get a few injuries in defence and midfield and we'd struggle. We need another CB and CM.
You only have to look at Smalling & Rafa - injured now & throughout their time here are always injured.

Jones is injury-prone & Evans spends more time on the treatment table than his own bed.

Its not good enough for a club like ours to have so-many sicknotes. Its not acceptable & i think many of these injury-prone players we have are just soft as cheese & dont want to carry injuries into a game & have gotten away with it.

Look at Nani for instance. He was injured for most of last season - yet he plays in the WC because he ruled himself out of playin for us to get fit for Portugal - not us.

Absolutely sick of players takin the piss at United - Saha being the most obvious example. Injured brain more than body!

SammyUnited_83

So instead of discussing why the fecker hasnt joined the team going to Asia you are talking about whether one of the best box to box midfielders would suit our system at all?
Is that confirmed? Everything I have read says he is in the squad for Asia?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Is it true he is not joining team for Asia and will join in Australia? Well. Well. Well. The bag has come out of the cat! :drool:

Cina

You only have to look at Smalling & Rafa - injured now & throughout their time here are always injured.

Jones is injury-prone & Evans spends more time on the treatment table than his own bed.

Its not good enough for a club like ours to have so-many sicknotes. Its not acceptable & i think many of these injury-prone players we have are just soft as cheese & dont want to carry injuries into a game & have gotten away with it.

Look at Nani for instance. He was injured for most of last season - yet he plays in the WC because he ruled himself out of playin for us to get fit for Portugal - not us.

Absolutely sick of players takin the piss at United - Saha being the most obvious example. Injured brain more than body!
What the feck?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I don't think him going on the tour or not means anything. It must have been touch and go anyway, due to his recovery from the WC and any lingering issues with his knee. On the other hand if he had gone on tour, there's still no concrete reasons why that would stand in the way of a transfer.

bucky

I'm annoyed by injuries as well, but this is a cringeworthy post.

Status
Not open for further replies.