Arturo Vidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
To this day I have no idea why Wenger didn't make a move before he went to Juve. He is exactly the player we needed.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Out of Coppa, Almost certain to win league with or without Vidal. Why do you want to stay there Arturo? Come to us and help us sealing top 4 spot.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Out of Coppa, Almost certain to win league with or without Vidal. Why do you want to stay there Arturo? Come to us and help us sealing top 4 spot.
And be managed by David Moyes, who could possibly refuse. :drool:

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Is he an Essien type of player? Obviously I mean Essien 2006-2010, not the present tragedy of a player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is he an Essien type of player? Obviously I mean Essien 2006-2010, not the present tragedy of a player.
Yes. Although Essien is(was) better in the defensive half while Vidal is better in the offensive half.

Floyd

Yes. Although Essien is(was) better in the defensive half while Vidal is better in the offensive half.
Thanks. I like.

Given Juventus' history of selling players I think a huge bid like £45m would make them really consider it. The biggest obstacle would probably be Vidal himself I reckon, the Juve loving bastard.

Bojan11

Thanks. I like.

Given Juventus' history of selling players I think a huge bid like £45m would make them really consider it. The biggest obstacle would probably be Vidal himself I reckon, the Juve loving bastard.

If he is on low wages and we offered crazy wages then it wouldn't be a big obstacle. The problem is when PSG or Madrid start coming in for him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Physically, Essien of that time trumps in all athletic aspects besides stamina, but tactically and heart wise, Vidal's better than he was in both directions.

Think it's out of Vidal and Schwiensteiger for best box-to-box midfielder in the world and he'd be an absolute revelation here if he put his heart and soul into it.

His ability to enable others to play and galvanise a side obviously isn't par with Keane, but he's the closest thing to that kind of encompassing spirit and heart that there is in the modern game and he'd get our team believing in themselves again and raise the octaves at OT by decibels with his commitment, determination and quality. It's no coincidence that Juve's support love the guy - his game is an inspiration and forces others to deliver or look bad for their lack of effort. He's also the guy you can look to when things aren't going well and it's time to roll up sleeves and get stuck in, which is something we severely lack in our squad with only Rooney and Januzaj seeming to have that quality.

I don't think there's any one single signing outside of "the big 2" that could be more amazing for us to sign than Vidal. Even with a blank chequebook, he'd be the first name down for me in relation to our predicament.

Muppet hat firmly on for this guy. He is the real deal and I'd put the majority of our budget into bringing him in over anyone else.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
If there's one player right now that I'd want us to sign, its this guy. Other than Messi and Ronaldo ofcourse.

But I just cant see us spending what it'd take to get him.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
This is pure fantasy. Why on earth would he leave Juve to come to us in our current state? And why on earth would they sell?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is pure fantasy. Why on earth would he leave Juve to come to us in our current state? And why on earth would they sell?
Because he plays for Juventus, not Real Madrid. I don't buy the theory that we could not attract a player from Juve, unless we are talking of one of those 'one club' Italian players. Vidal is a Chilean trying to make it to the top of the game. Until he is playing in either La Liga or the Premier League, and earning around 150k+ per week, there is certainly scope for improvement.

He will never win the CL at Juve. He can win the league there every year, as he could in Scotland. He knows, or should know, that we are much more capable of putting together a team that can dominate Europe than Juve, while making him a big global star and mega rich too.

We are in a bad way at the moment, but the way out of it is to put the money up to sign players like Vidal. If we are indeed willing to do that, players should not be concerned. If the fear is about Moyes, that isn't a real concern either to me. It is simple, once we have accumulated a top class squad, he either delivers, or he fails, and is sacked and replaced with somebody who can. No manager is guaranteed to succeed, the only guarantee is that at big clubs, they have to succeed or they will be eventually replaced. We are no different from others here.

mufcwarm92

I agree that he's the closest thing to Keane in modern football. Would be perfect, but sadly very unlikely to be a goer.

Anduin

Because in case we're serious about him, we'd probably throw £50m at Juventus and £200k/week at him. Juventus are a European giant, but their revenue is a fraction of ours and they would find it hard to resist mega bucks.

Siorac

We should have got him from Leverkusen. After Barcelona outclassed us at Wembley a midfield addition would have made perfect sense considering Scholes was about to retire, Fletcher was struggling with his disease and we fielded Giggs and Carrick in a CL final. He would have been relatively cheap and would have improved us massively - the very definition of a value signing.

I know it's pointless to cry over it now but Fergie really should have gone for him instead of hoping for Anderson or Gibson to come good. It still hurts me how we could have got him for something like 10m.

marjen

Because in case we're serious about him, we'd probably throw £50m at Juventus and £200k/week at him. Juventus are a European giant, but their revenue is a fraction of ours and they would find it hard to resist mega bucks.
Would we throw £50 million at him though? No fecking way.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He left Leverkusen when they finished 2nd for Juventus who had finished 7th that year. Now obviously the situations aren't completely comparable but I reckon he can be tempted to move if we make the right offer.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
The guy is worth 50m IMO. If he signed for us he would be the best midfielder in the league. Totally suited to the English game too.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We should have got him from Leverkusen. After Barcelona outclassed us at Wembley a midfield addition would have made perfect sense considering Scholes was about to retire, Fletcher was struggling with his disease and we fielded Giggs and Carrick in a CL final. He would have been relatively cheap and would have improved us massively - the very definition of a value signing.

I know it's pointless to cry over it now but Fergie really should have gone for him instead of hoping for Anderson or Gibson to come good. It still hurts me how we could have got him for something like 10m.
He seemed like an obvious addition at the time too, €12m, proven in a big club in a good league, on radar for other big clubs (Bayern, Milan, Juventus).

Floyd

Too bad SAF didn't know who he was back then.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It really does make you wonder sometimes.

I know some things are "easier said than done", and life isn't like football manager. But surely somebody in our club has to realize how good this player was, how much we needed a midfielder and how little his price was?. Things like this are just mind boggling and make me want to bang my head against a wall.

They spout of about no value, but when value smacks them in the face they ignore it :(

marjen

I'm as sceptical as you, but it would be well worth the money. Most complete CM in Europe IMHO.
I agree, definitely. Taking into account our current needs we bloody well should throw money at him. I just can't see us shelling out £50 million, £20 million more than our previous record signing - in January, with dithering Dave at the helm and Ed "the Aeroplane" Woodward as the man in charge of getting the deals done.

Brophs

The One and Only
I agree that he's the closest thing to Keane in modern football. Would be perfect, but sadly very unlikely to be a goer.
I think he's a super player but I don't know about the Keane comparisons. He's not as good defensively, for my money. But he's a more technical player than Keane was. All that said, what made Keane so good was the drive, which I haven't seen in many players since.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Where are these rumours coming from? Doesnt sound credible at all that a player like Vidal would move in January

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Where are these rumours coming from? Doesnt sound credible at all that a player like Vidal would move in January
Vidal is for the summer. A lot of the deals United are working on ATM is laying groundwork for a summer transfer.

Siorac

Well if we pull off Mata and Vidal in the same year... I'll probably explode in a muppetgasm. It's proper fantasy land.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=1688725&src=desktop#desktop#

Manchester United are hopeful that the offer of a significant wage increase will entice midfielder Arturo Vidal to Old Trafford from Juventus, either this month or in the summer.

The Premier League champions have made initial contact about purchasing the Chilean, who earns less than five million euros a year in Turin.

But any United offer would have to be enough to overcome Vidal's admiration for both the Italian champions and head coach Antonio Conte -- he turned down Bayern Munich to go to Juventus -- while there is also the potential complication of United failing to qualify for the Champions League.

Despite manager David Moyes insisting again on Sunday that it is proving difficult to purchase players in the January window, United sources have told ESPN FC there is some optimism that at least one deal can be completed before next Friday’s transfer deadline.

While Vidal is the sort of player Moyes is prepared to wait on, United have also kept tabs on his Juventus teammate Claudio Marchisio and Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye and revived their interest in Roma's Miralem Pjanic.

They are also looking at what a source described as a "series of options in Spain," with one believed to be Atletico Madrid's Koke, who has interested them since the summer.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
less than 5 millions euros a year!? come in off the street, vidal, you're suffering is at an end.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Did he turn down Bayern or was it a case of Leverkusen refusing to sell to them? @Balu

RedRover

If he is on low wages and we offered crazy wages then it wouldn't be a big obstacle. The problem is when PSG or Madrid start coming in for him.
Players like him are made for the Premier League.

France is an average league and Real Madrid cant find space for the midfielders they have. he seems to be a competitor in terms of his playing style, so the PL would suit him down to the ground. If he's available you have to think we have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.