AS Monaco 2018/19

RedPed

Whatabouter.
For me, has to be one of the saddest stories in football in recent times. :(

They were such an exciting team a few years back, having won Ligue 1 with such an array of stars. Don't think I've seen a team plundered so brutally and quickly as Monaco. Genuine challengers to PSG for a short time. Such a shame. Currently losing 2-0 to St. Etienne and sitting in 18th in danger of relegation already.

Some recent departures over the last few years:

Kylian Mbappe
Thomas Lemar
Fabinho
Joao Moutinho
Keita Balde
Benjamin Mendy
Bernardo Silva
Tiemoue Bakayoko
Anthony Martial
Geoffrey Kondogbia
Layvin Kurzawa

They were my 'second' team and will always have a soft spot for them. Hope they can make a comeback soon.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Never really watched much of them. The teams I've somewhat followed from France in recent years have been PSG (Pastore :drool:), Lyon (Fekir :drool:) & Dijon (Sliti :drool:).

With that said, Rony Lopes has always caught my eye whenever I've seen them. I might have to watch them more often now that they have Golovin, though!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Jardim will get the chop if this continues. They are in relegation form.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They still have a decent team, should be doing nowhere near as badly as they’ve been doing.

They’ll be in the relegation zone soon if this continues.

Rony Lopes being out is a huge miss for them though, they’ll improve once he gets back

RedPed

Whatabouter.
How many more game do we think Jardim has to turn it around?
They're only 8 games in and they do still have Champions League football. I reckon his fate will be determined by how well they do in that initially.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Golovin and Tielemans not influencing much then?

Feel a bit for Falcao, last few years he's had Mbappe, Balde and Lemar to do the running either side of him.

Saw a bit of their match tonight and he was very isolated upfront on his own so he probably feels like he's playing for LVG again!

el3mel

That was always going to happen. Shame but no big club would have let all these talents there without luring them away.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Golovin and Tielemans not influencing much then?

Feel a bit for Falcao, last few years he's had Mbappe, Balde and Lemar to do the running either side of him.

Saw a bit of their match tonight and he was very isolated upfront on his own so he probably feels like he's playing for LVG again!
Golovin has had a foot injury. He's only had the one game and a couple of sub appearances. Tielemans has been terrible from the few games i've watched.

DRM

Nothing new, Monaco seem to go through a period of relative success then sell all their best players.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Monaco is a success-story. Cash machine

Challenging to keep great players when the stadium is generally empty

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didnt that owner also get a world record divorce? He had to pay his ex wife billions if i remember correct..
Pretty sure the news this week is he's put the club on the market so that will unsettle things further.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Those figures are kinda expected and not out of the ordinary considering Monaco's historical catchment area, to be fair — cost of living must be prohibitive in the principality for your average football fan and touristy spots attract transients to boot — Nice probably eats into their figures too, and even in the Ligue 1 winning season Monaco were rooted towards the lower end:

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/fra-ligue-1-2016-2017/1/

As regards the team, the asset-stripping modus operandi is unfortunate but par for course really, especially considering Rybolovlev isn't intent on building a lasting dynasty to directly rival PSG and the club itself doesn't offer the profile of the elite. Thuram, Weah, Henry, Christanval, Trezeguet, Petit — then Márquez, Evra, Maicon and co. book-ending that Morientes-loan season. The latest one was just a bit more rapid. :(

They think we should get Jardim.
He's a very good manager.
I would like to see another manager trying to constantly reshuffle his playing staff when some of their best players leave on a continual basis.
I mean isn't this what happened to Klopp in his final days at BVB ?
BVB prioritising financial gain over on the pitch progression.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't feel particularly sad for them because their entire business model is based around signing talented youngsters and selling them off at a handsome profit. While others might see it as sad that their team was picked apart I'd imagine their board/owners see the last few years as a resounding success, I don't know if they ever had ambitions for the title or if it was just a nice extra for them on their way to making unbelievable profit.

I'm sure they'll have some very good players as long as they keep up their current model, in fact I'd say it's inevitable. I'd be shocked if they ever had a team as good as the one that won the league though.

saivet

He's a very good manager.
I would like to see another manager trying to constantly reshuffle his playing staff when some of their best players leave on a continual basis.
I mean isn't this what happened to Klopp in his final days at BVB ?
BVB prioritising financial gain over on the pitch progression.
Without watching Monaco or Dortmund closely the results do indicate that.

b20times

Wow third from bottom already. I think they knew that selling their best players would bite them on the bum eventually.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Inappropriate Content
Monaco has always been a rollercoaster club: Ligue winners, ChL final/semis, etc. and then years of absolute mediocrity.

I doubt they will get relegated though. Relegation form by Sept. probably means 8th-10th position by May, which is of course bad enough.

It's sad because currently Lyon and Marseille cannot challenge PSG for the title. Ligue 1 is becoming another Bundesliga.

Falcao is done, for sure. Feck him. Talented yet immature player.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They are actually better than the results, just extremely inconsistent within the same game.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Didn't they have a rich owner so why did they sell all their good players?
FFP.

Selling all their best players several windows in a row it had to happen at some point. They recruited some top talents but most are still potential, some just 16 or 17 and far from ready to dominate L1.

Of course they're still worth much better than 18th and still have a shot at an European place finish.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
FFP.

Selling all their best players several windows in a row it had to happen at some point. They recruited some top talents but most are still potential, some just 16 or 17 and far from ready to dominate L1.

Of course they're still worth much better than 18th and still have a shot at an European place finish.
They have a bit of a reputation for poaching a lot of youth talents from other academies too, don't they? They got one of Barca's biggest talents last year who I don't think is even 18 yet. I'm sure they'll be back sooner rather than later.

klsv

Rybolovlev has been taken into custody to be questioned on corruption. Going well for Monaco.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Has there ever been a more rapid decline of a top club?

1 win in 12 games (league)
1 win in 20 games (all comps)
13 defeats in 20 games (all comps) - Let that sink in for a minute!
Currently 2nd from bottom
Currently 4 points from safety
Out of the Champions League
PSG next to come to town.

Truly heartbreaking!

klsv

Has there ever been a more rapid decline of a top club?

1 win in 12 games (league)
1 win in 20 games (all comps)
13 defeats in 20 games (all comps) - Let that sink in for a minute!
Currently 2nd from bottom
Currently 4 points from safety
Out of the Champions League
PSG next to come to town.

Truly heartbreaking!
They were relegated in 2011, but their sugar daddy bought them back to L1. Plastic club with no fans, ran by a corrupted Russian oligarch. I don't feel any heartbreak for them.

JPRouve

Scout
They were relegated in 2011, but their sugar daddy bought them back to L1. Plastic club with no fans, ran by a corrupted Russian oligarch. I don't feel any heartbreak for them.
Monaco aren't a plastic club, it's one of the french historic clubs, one of the most important in the history of french football and one that has produced the most for the french national team.

klsv

Monaco aren't a plastic club, it's one of the french historic clubs, one of the most important in the history of french football and one that has produced the most for the french national team.
But fail to produce enough fans to fill their 18k stadium.

JPRouve

Scout
But fail to produce enough fans to fill their 18k stadium.
Well 18k fans is about half of the population of Monaco and sports in France is very chauvinistic at the exception of two clubs OM and ASSE. People from Nice are not going to support Monaco when they have the Gym in their own town.

RedDevilRoshi

After years and years of continuously selling your best players, it will catch up on you. Having said that, I didn’t anticipate them being so off form and miles behind the pace. Watched a bit of their game last night against Club Brugge and they were extremely awful.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yay! They have finally won a game away to Caen! Just the one goal mind.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Out of the relegation zone but only on GD after their THIRD win of the season tonight from 16 league games. It was only against Amiens though who are even lower in the table and with two penalties, literally at the end of each half. Next up is at home to Nice. This is the type of game that Henry will have to start winning regularly to get himself out of trouble.