Asensio

tidraKS

I’d only get him on loan only if Greenwood doesn’t come back. He could be a decent backup player.

Beaucoup

Same here. If we could get him for 30m I reckon it could be a canny signing, much better value than 50m for Antony imo. He did score 10 in the league last season, his best goal scoring campaign.
I agree, and he’s a better player than Antony.A world away from signing shite like Dan James.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
For £10m it might be a good signing. For actual proper money it would likely be terrible.

Dempsey19

I’d only get him on loan only if Greenwood doesn’t come back. He could be a decent backup player.
People need to accept that Greenwood will not be coming back. It would be disastrous to the club if he did.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Our budget will be gone and some more for the 2 we are expecting to sign soon. De Jong and Antony. We will have to sell players if we are to bring others here.
Antony is a huge gamble for the prices being thrown about. Not sold on him at all. His play acting is said to be terrible too.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People need to accept that Greenwood will not be coming back. It would be disastrous to the club if he did.
All that depends on the outcome surely? I honestly can't see him being sold or let go if he's found innocent. If he isn't then of course it's all over for him.

Johnny Depp is the perfect example of how you can't jump the gun. Let the courts do their jobs.

croadyman

Gut feeling is Antony is the top target in this position, feel we may look at this guy if we can't get him.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
All that depends on the outcome surely? I honestly can't see him being sold or let go if he's found innocent. If he isn't then of course it's all over for him.

Johnny Depp is the perfect example of how you can't jump the gun. Let the courts do their jobs.
Yep don’t like the definitive posts on here. Trial by social media at its finest. Just wait for the evidence to truly be revealed.

Suv666

£30-£40 m, that's big money for a player no one had even considered 48 hours ago, in a position we are hardly desperate for, and who has 12 months left on his deal.

It all sounds like the usual rubbish, and can't see any mileage in him moving now when he can get a big payday next summer on a free.
You do know he's a right winger right?
That's absolutely a priority position
He's 26 and has displayed the abilities needed to be a top player. The talent is there a change of scenary, right coaching and he might rediscover his form.
We need reinforcements in 5+ positions its not possible to get the absolute best players out there for every position.
Worth a gamble.

OL29

Yep don’t like the definitive posts on here. Trial by social media at its finest. Just wait for the evidence to truly be revealed.
The justice system isn’t foolproof and it’s well known that statistically, rape is one of the most difficult charges to prosecute someone for. Just 1.3% of those accused were prosecuted last year in England and Wales. Regardless of the outcome of Greenwood’s trial, the evidence we’ve seen and heard provide enough of an insight into the type of character he is and I’d be flabbergasted if the club and fans accept him ever coming into this team again.

Dempsey19

Innocent until proven guilty.
Money can buy innocence. Doesn't change people's minds.

Everyone heard the recording. If United back him, some sponsors will pull out first of all , they won't want to be associated with that. Domino effect then.

I don't want him apart of the club ever regardless of outcome. Any supporter who wants him back needs to get their head checked.

AndySmith1990

Innocent until proven guilty.
Whether he's found guilty in a court of law is irrelevant in this case as we've all heard and seen what he's done. No decent person with morals will want to see him in a United shirt ever again

Posh Red

Do you really think the situations are comparable? And would you be able to support MG, and celebrate him scoring goals, after the recordings you’ve heard? I would be devastated if that guy was allowed to play for United again after hearing that stuff.

macheda14

False equivalency right here and this is why the Johnny depp case is damaging. (Not the case itself but the reaction to it). In sexual abuse cases being found ‘innocent’ usually means there not being enough evidence - it’s an under charged issue. It’s usually hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt for so many different reasons. We all heard the recordings, there is no way he’s playing again, sponsors won’t allow it and frankly I’d stop supporting the club.

Legitimately I think we should have a forum wide ban on even mentioning him because 1, it’s still an active case and 2, it will derail every thread.

OmarUnited4ever

His knee injury hampered him, very unlucky there.

But I do not expect RM to sell him, they still need him, with Bale & Isco gone (granted both rarely played), there is not much of numbers

at CF, they have Benzema, & Mariano as backup, Jovic is likely to leave.
at RW, they have Asensio, Rodrygo, and Vasquez who also helps out at RB too
at LW, they has Vini & Hazard.

Mbappe decided to stay with PSG, so if no one else leaves (aside from Jovic), then Asensio will be an important option for RM, unless they have plans to bring in new forwards.

If he is deemed medically healthy and is over his issues from that knee injury, at a low initial fee of (€15M - €20M), then it could be an astute pickup, he has huge qualities and was about to cement a spot in RM's starting lineup had he not been injured in a pre-season game.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don’t do this… the voice recordings, pictures are a different level and this hasn’t even gone to trial yet.
Why do we have courts then?

Like I said.....I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty but let the professionals do their jobs.

Mainoldo

The justice system isn’t foolproof and it’s well known that statistically, rape is one of the most difficult charges to prosecute someone for. Just 1.3% of those accused were prosecuted last year in England and Wales. Regardless of the outcome of Greenwood’s trial, the evidence we’ve seen and heard provide enough of an insight into the type of character he is and I’d be flabbergasted if the club and fans accept him ever coming into this team again.
Don’t be so silly. You have seen zero evidence to accuse anyone of rape. Just stop it.

It should even be discussed or mentioned.

BarstoolProphet

Same here. If we could get him for 30m I reckon it could be a canny signing, much better value than 50m for Antony imo. He did score 10 in the league last season, his best goal scoring campaign.
The main difference here that many that want Asensio doesn't seem to value, is workrate and attitude (which looks to be the key ingredients ETH is looking for). By all accounts Antony is a workhorse in addition to being skillful, whilst Asensio doesn't seem to have what it takes to stop his downward spiral after the serious injuries he has had. In many ways he is similar to Marcus Rashford, who most of us wants out. Add to the fact that he is 26 already and it seems like a dreadful signing on paper.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Money can buy innocence. Doesn't change people's minds.

Everyone heard the recording. If United back him, some sponsors will pull out first of all , they won't want to be associated with that. Domino effect then.

I don't want him apart of the club ever regardless of outcome. Any supporter who wants him back needs to get their head checked.
Been hearing this for months and I don't understand how people still believe this. Without getting into the morality of it, hypothetically if he's not charged and starts playing again, sponsors are not going to leave a multi million dollar profitable venture because 1 out of the 30 very public professionals they employ is a bad apple. Similarly, Old Trafford is not going to be getting empty seats just because Greenwood is playing.

Sure there will be a media furore at the start if he comes back, but it will die down in a few months. I don't know what the situation is with him and what's gonna happen but it's just inaccurate to believe Man Utd will lose sponsors if he is brought back into the fold. Sure, he personally will struggle to become associated with big brands, but it's not going to effect the club all that much.

OL29

Don’t be so silly. You have seen zero evidence to accuse anyone of rape. Just stop it.

It should even be discussed or mentioned.
Zero evidence? I’m assuming you haven’t listened to the video? Or seen the images posted? There’s plenty of evidence, I couldn’t care less what happens in court, he did that shit.

Mainoldo

Zero evidence? I’m assuming you haven’t listened to the video? Or seen the images posted? There’s plenty of evidence, I couldn’t care less what happens in court, he did that shit.
You wasn’t there bro. Non of us was. Stop it.

justsomebloke

Don’t we have enough attacking midfielders, and with De Jong and Antony possibly arriving that’s even more then, priorities should be a DCM and Defence after the above two arrive.
As far as wingers are concerned, we don't have anywhere near enough. In fact, we have 3 for two slots (Rashford, Sancho, Elanga). Even if we're keeping Martial, we critically need at least one new player. And Asensio generally plays on the right, which is ideal. Whether he's good enough is a different question I guess. But it would make sense to look for a not-too-pricey option that doesn't necessarily have to be regular starting XI.

justsomebloke

£30-£40 m, that's big money for a player no one had even considered 48 hours ago, in a position we are hardly desperate for, and who has 12 months left on his deal.

It all sounds like the usual rubbish, and can't see any mileage in him moving now when he can get a big payday next summer on a free.
We absolutely should be desperate for that position.

SeanyC

As far as wingers are concerned, we don't have anywhere near enough. In fact, we have 3 for two slots (Rashford, Sancho, Elanga). Even if we're keeping Martial, we critically need at least one new player. And Asensio generally plays on the right, which is ideal. Whether he's good enough is a different question I guess. But it would make sense to look for a not-too-pricey option that doesn't necessarily have to be regular starting XI.
I think we do have enough, Amad and Pellistri are to come in yet, yea Asensio is decent and won’t cost a bundle, I just feel we are well stocked in wide positions and DCM, CM and CB are priorities. Still, I’m not going to say know to new faces after the shambles of last season, especially Antony