Asensio

userman

I think we do have enough, Amad and Pellistri are to come in yet, yea Asensio is decent and won’t cost a bundle, I just feel we are well stocked in wide positions and DCM, CM and CB are priorities. Still, I’m not going to say know to new faces after the shambles of last season, especially Antony
We may have enough in terms of quantity but absolutely not in terms of quality. Even though Asensio might not be able to claim the RW-position as his, he will at least be a solid enough rotation option. Amad and Pellistri has been considered as not good enough for Rangers and Alaves respectively, and if we didn't already own them we would have never considered them as genuine options for next season. Loan out one of the two and rotate the other in EL and League Cup.

justsomebloke

I think we do have enough, Amad and Pellistri are to come in yet, yea Asensio is decent and won’t cost a bundle, I just feel we are well stocked in wide positions and DCM, CM and CB are priorities. Still, I’m not going to say know to new faces after the shambles of last season, especially Antony
I don't think you can assume that either Amad or Pellistri will necessarily come in and fill roster slots that would imply as much game time as those we still have open. They might, but that would be against the odds.

Godfather

God help us with these options

kthanksbye

Wouldn't be a bad idea for around 20m odd , nothing more than that.
It'll help to have a player with Spanish footballing education, he'd at least have the basics right, first touch close control passing recycling possession and keeping the ball. Also, he plays on the right, a position we're short in.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We should look to get him on loan like Arsenal did with Odegaard and like Chelsea did with Saul from Atletico.

If he works out then great.

RoyH1

We should look to get him on loan like Arsenal did with Odegaard and like Chelsea did with Saul from Atletico.

If he works out then great.
Would be my preferred choice too, but Jorge Mendes need his big commission so I'm quite sure he'll go for a sale. Apparently Milan are interested.

SeanyC

God help us with these options
I think pellestri is going to be brilliant, how did Rashford and Lingard get there starts like, with the right coaching Pell can be great.

look this is all to say I feel there are positions within the squad that need more attention.

justsomebloke

I think pellestri is going to be brilliant, how did Rashford and Lingard get there starts like, with the right coaching Pell can be great.

look this is all to say I feel there are positions within the squad that need more attention.
Maybe. Or maybe Amad will, or Garnacho. But it can hardly be relied on at this stage. You have to wonder why he barely figured for one of the weaker teams in La Liga if he's ready to have that sort of impact.

OleGunnar20

Maybe. Or maybe Amad will, or Garnacho. But it can hardly be relied on at this stage. You have to wonder why he barely figured for one of the weaker teams in La Liga if he's ready to have that sort of impact.
That was a disastrous loan for sure, but I don't feel it says much of anything about his quality really. Alaves were clearly a shambles, very rare a flair player thrives in a situation like that - especially a young one on loan, not being given any serious game time.

Personally I like what I see of him, seems to have a nice mix of skill and tenacity. Hope ETH gives him some decent run outs during pre season at least, see what he can do. Same for Amad, Mejbri and Garner, of course.

On Asensio, could be an astute move I suppose, depends on the guys attitude for me (of which I know nowt). If Milan are interested I'd be inclined to keep an eye, they're doing a good job of scouting these day it seems.

SeanyC

Who knows the circumstances around why he didn’t play much in Spain, just saying with the right mentally and coaching he could hit the ground running, sure isn’t the Loan window open to like end of sept, send him off if we need to then. Get Asensio in after a few pre-season games if really needed

SeanyC

Based on what?
Based off his current form for his country, okay it’s different for club than country but no harm giving the guy a shot, it’s how they learn and grow, Rashford and many others are examples of that. As i said to another guy on here, we can Loan him out before the loan window shuts. Pre-Season is a time for them to show they have what it takes to play. Imo it’s worth a shot, Asensio played for Mallorca before going to Madrid, they seen something in him hence the move, Ole seen something in Pellistri, maybe ETH will also, hence the pre-season…just a thought.

OmarUnited4ever

There is an article in The Athletic, titled Real Madrid’s Marco Asensio: A curious career at a crossroads

The interesting part related to a Transfer is below.

Asensio should not lack options, given his clear qualities and new representative Mendes’ connections. This month’s displays with Spain came just as he was being linked with lots of different potential suitors, including Manchester United, Newcastle United, AC Milan and Juventus.

NoPace

Would be my preferred choice too, but Jorge Mendes need his big commission so I'm quite sure he'll go for a sale. Apparently Milan are interested.
Don't think he'll go on loan because he only has one year left. Makes more sense for Madrid to just sell to the highest bidder. 20M would be my guess, not a bad price for a solid but flawed left-footed RW who's 26.

talking robot

What was the consensus on why we shouldnt be in for him? Seems a reasonable alternative to antony if we’ve been priced out of a move.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Heart says "feck it his name is Asensio and he has quite a big status, let's take him". Brain says "I've barely seen him play and people that have don't seem to rate him"

Redcy

What was the consensus on why we shouldnt be in for him? Seems a reasonable alternative to antony if we’ve been priced out of a move.
Mostly he is shit, had a half decent season last year with 10 goals in 31, however prior to that his stats were awful.

plays on average about 50-60 mins per game.

RoyH1

Would take him on a free for squad depth, no brainer.
We can't get him for free this season. Has a year left on his contract. But I think Madrid would take 15 million for him at this point.

I wouldn't go for him though. He was never the same player after his injury; he's got a wonderful shot with his left and is very tidy technically, but I don't see him fitting what ETH wants for this team.

Aeryis

Way too many people are too desperate to turn us into Everton, a club that signs rejects from top clubs even though they're shit just because they have the "plays for Madrid/Barcelona/Bayerm/City" sign over their heads. He's not a right winger, he's a midfielder, he's injury prone, and he's shit.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Way too many people are too desperate to turn us into Everton, a club that signs rejects from top clubs even though they're shit just because they have the "plays for Madrid/Barcelona/Bayerm/City" sign over their heads. He's not a right winger, he's a midfielder, he's injury prone, and he's shit.
A very good point. Move away from failed galacticos and big names, and sign the players that fit the managers system. Define a style of play and then recruit to keep the continuity of that system in the team.

GoldanoGraham

He is perpetually available from RM but nobody ever seems to sign him - not suitable for the EPL

Aeryis

A very good point. Move away from failed galacticos and big names, and sign the players that fit the managers system. Define a style of play and then recruit to keep the continuity of that system in the team.
I don't mind big names, there is nothing inherently wrong with big names. It's more about players complementing each other, having attributes that fits the requirements of the squad, not declining, and they're talented. "Big" or "small" names are irrelevant, it's all about competent squad building.

Superunknown

He's got a cool name. Could be a super hero, or an MMA star.

Not interested in taking Real Madrid's cast-offs. We need players on the way up, not the way down.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Looked very good 5-6 years ago. A long time back now. He’s not going to do much in the Premier League. Always linked with Liverpool but he’s never good enough for them.

captaincantona

Valencia level player
Yet a significant upgrade on Lingard, Mata, James, Elanga and possibly Martial and Rashford on last seasons form. So compared to what we are used to…having him as a bench option would be ideal. It’s a no brainier.

Ekeke

Yet a significant upgrade on Lingard, Mata, James, Elanga and possibly Martial and Rashford on last seasons form. So compared to what we are used to…having him as a bench option would be ideal. It’s a no brainier.
I'd much rather see Elanga given the time tbh. Asensio would probably perform a bit better, but Elanga has 6 years to catch him

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would definitely go for him now. We don't have any other options do we?