Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Crazy to think Ashley Young has managed to still be at United starting games 7 years after joining us. He’s done well to hang around. Shows how far being a good boy gets you.

He’s been useful over the years when others have let us down, and gives his best. He’s invariably found a way into the team over the years due to the better players than him who were bought for a job disappointing.

mewnew11

Really proud of him. He had a mare in the first half, but owned his flank in the second with little assistance to get us back in the game. Double the amount of crosses of anyone else in the the team and created two chances, getting the assist.

He’s a quality full back, comfortably the best we’ve got, but will never get his due to be an uninspiring purchase as a winger. Couldn’t really give two shits if other people can’t overcome that bias and yes, I am still going to bat for him despits that first half.

It’s weird people are using this performance to call for Dalot when Dalot has already made similar defensive errors that haven’t lead to goals, but when you’ve played less than 20 senior games, there’s not a massive compilation of areas for people to lol at.
Quality full back my ass

IAmAWinner

One of the worst individual performances from a United player I have seen in the first half. But he got the match-winning assist, so good job Young.

Red_Ramirez

If all of our players in the squad displayed half the desire and effort Ashley Young puts in week in week out we'd be much closer to City and Liverpool

If any of you actually go to games you cant fault his effort that in which deserves respect.

The so called more talented players need to buck up. They've let themselves down and their teammates.

If all of our players in the squad displayed half the desire and effort Ashley Young puts in week in week out we'd be much closer to City and Liverpool

If any of you actually go to games you cant fault his effort that in which deserves respect.

The so called more talented players need to buck up. They've let themselves down and their teammates.
I go to games and I respect the work Young puts in, he gives everything week in week out.

Doesn't mean his flaws as a winger turned fullback can't be pointed out when glaringly obviously like in the first 20 minutes yesterday. Both were absolutely shocking pieces of defending and had us climbing a mountain.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Sometimes effort is not good enough, which is what we are trying to point out. I go to games also and can see he is NOT a full back.

Red_Ramirez

I go to games and I respect the work Young puts in, he gives everything week in week out.

Doesn't mean his flaws as a winger turned fullback can't be pointed out when glaringly obviously like in the first 20 minutes yesterday. Both were absolutely shocking pieces of defending.
Let's be honest.

Generally he has been solid for us. Last season with Shaw sitting on the sidelines stuffing his face Young was a revelation at left-back. Pocketting Salah the highlight.

Yes I agree Yesterday though like the rest of his teammates in the 1st half we were all over the shop. The goals we conceded were a disgrace.

Like I said though when I go to games Young has always given 100% every game. Others need to step up. Because so far barring second half last night effort and desire by too many players has been lacking

led_scholes

Let's be honest.

Generally he has been solid for us. Last season with Shaw sitting on the sidelines stuffing his face Young was a revelation at left-back. Pocketting Salah the highlight.

Yes I agree Yesterday though like the rest of his teammates in the 1st half we were all over the shop. The goals we conceded were a disgrace.

Like I said though when I go to games Young has always given 100% every game. Others need to step up. Because so far barring second half last night effort and desire by too many players has been lacking
No he has not been solid for us at all. Mostly he has been average at best. 11/12 he started well, general he was fine. 2012/2013, 2013/2014 he was awful. 2014/2015 he had 5 good games. 2015/2016 awful. 2016/2017 cant even remember the games he played.

Djemba-Djemba

No he has not been solid for us at all. Mostly he has been average at best. 11/12 he started well, general he was fine. 2012/2013, 2013/2014 he was awful. 2014/2015 he had 5 good games. 2015/2016 awful. 2016/2017 cant even remember the games he played.
This is true.

Last season was perhaps his best season for Utd since his first year.

And considering he was doing ok as a makeshift fullback that isn't really saying much. It baffles me how people seem to think he's been a great signing.

Bojan11

No idea what some people are going on about. At fault for two goals and should have had a pen given against him. But we get the usual crap like he plays with his heart and all that.

Someone should tell Darmian you’d get more brownie points if you go to matches and sit with fans.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Crazy to think Ashley Young has managed to still be at United starting games 7 years after joining us. He’s done well to hang around. Shows how far being a good boy gets you.

He’s been useful over the years when others have let us down, and gives his best. He’s invariably found a way into the team over the years due to the better players than him who were bought for a job disappointing.
What exactly is he doing that's not disappointing?

He can't defend and going forward it's been a mare from him this season. Everytime we tried to attack from our right flank he'd mess up everything and I thought I'd never see a player have their crosses blocked as much as Valancia.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
No idea what some people are going on about. At fault for two goals and should have had a pen given against him. But we get the usual crap like he plays with his heart and all that.

Someone should tell Darmian you’d get more brownie points if you go to matches and sit with fans.
Yep. Then they'll be the first to wonder why we're looking shit at defending.

When you're putting someone to defend yet can't and is positional all over the place with the justification being that he has heart and spirit then don't get surprised when things go tits up. How about trying an actual defender rather than these failed wingers turned full backs.

Might as well go with Dalot for now. His inexperience is still a much better compromise than the lack of ability to properly defend from the likes of Young.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What exactly is he doing that's not disappointing?

He can't defend and going forward it's been a mare from him this season. Everytime we tried to attack from our right flank he'd mess up everything and I thought I'd never see a player have their crosses blocked as much as Valancia.
Well he provided some consistency when Di Maria was failing, then similarly when Shaw didn’t deliver or was injured.

He has no business being any sort of United regular, I would argue that he had no business at United the day he signed for us. He’s survived due to the failings of others who were supposed to have been regulars.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I could see some of those comments coming, really sad the state of this forum. Obviously he had a shocker in the first half and shouldn't be a starter for us but cut him some slack..

He had a decent United career and become a solid rotation player for us, always giving his everything never moaning , playing positions he was asked to, outperformed diMaria, Shaw and others in the team at some points of his career. Last season he was probably our best fullback and one of the better and more consistent performers. This game won't change it

Web of Bissaka

I love his efforts but he should never start for us. He should be used when players are tired/suspended/injured.
I get what you're stating.

He was chosen ahead of the off form defensive Valencia. Alternative option is Darmian and the risk option of playing a young untested Dalot who'll likely get targeted by Newcastle.

It's not a bad selection this time before the start of the match.

meamth

The caf is full of negativity.

He did well. We won. He made mistakes, move on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

He was chosen ahead of the off form defensive Valencia. Alternative option is Darmian and the risk option of playing a young untested Dalot who'll likely get targeted by Newcastle.

Thing is though, if you can't test Dalot against one of the worst teams in the league who can you test him against? Wouldn't be so bad if he were making the bench, he's not even playing for the U23s at the moment.

wythyred

Find it difficult to have a go at Young because he does always put in a shift and whilst he was dreadful in the first half yesterday he provided a peach of a ball for Sanchez and he is a true professional.

No problem with him as a squad player but we do need a proper full back.

Weather that is Dalot remains to be seen..

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Find it difficult to have a go at Young because he does always put in a shift and whilst he was dreadful in the first half yesterday he provided a peach of a ball for Sanchez and he is a true professional.

No problem with him as a squad player but we do need a proper full back.

Weather that is Dalot remains to be seen..
Couldn't agree more, he's full of energy and commitment, you just know he gives it his absolute all on the pitch and that's exactly what you want to see from a United player. On the other hand though he's not really got the ability we're desperate for at the moment and does often stick out like a sore thumb, he's definitely capable of great moments though.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Seriously he is finished. Who does Newcastle have they could use to target Dalot anyway ? A home game against a shit team is as ideal as it gets to introduce a new young player.

gajender

Young is finished Mourinho made a mistake of playing him ahead of Shaw last season when Shaw was showing some signs of recovery and now he is repeating the same by holding back Dalot , let Dalot play he would make mistakes but upside is we would know whether he is good enough to start regularly for us now or do we need better option next season.

Web of Bissaka

Thing is though, if you can't test Dalot against one of the worst teams in the league who can you test him against? Wouldn't be so bad if he were making the bench, he's not even playing for the U23s at the moment.
That's a good point. Situation is that we need to win this game after the bad run of results and bad team form. At the background of this game is also that drama, a high pressure game. Starting Dalot would be a big gamble.
I do agree Dalot should be on the bench for this game, as alternative attacking FB option.

Seriously he is finished. Who does Newcastle have they could use to target Dalot anyway ? A home game against a shit team is as ideal as it gets to introduce a new young player.
And that shit team scored twice against us quickly at the start, exploiting our RB of the day.

And let's say Dalot play and made costly mistakes, the usual upcoming horror "Dalot is shit, another average players, etc." you know will come. Is it a good calculated risk? It's fine if he play well, but if he don't, is he strong enough mentally to cope with the pile of harsh criticism coming his way?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's a good point. Situation is that we need to win this game after the bad run of results and bad team form. At the background of this game is also that drama, a high pressure game. Starting Dalot would be a big gamble.
I do agree Dalot should be on the bench for this game, as alternative attacking FB option.

And that shit team scored twice against us quickly at the start, exploiting our RB of the day.

And let's say Dalot play and made costly mistakes, the usual upcoming horror "Dalot is shit, another average players, etc." you know will come. Is it a good calculated risk? It's fine if he play well, but if he don't, is he strong enough mentally to cope with the pile of harsh criticism coming his way?
The thing is, we won't know if we don't give him a chance but with Young, we know, we've seen it plenty of times that he can be easily targeted.
Were you honestly that he struggled defensively ? I know I wasn't. At some point we have to move on from certain players in terms of starting.
I think it's fecked up to still hang on to players who we know will struggle badly anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love Young but he shouldn't start anymore.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The caf is full of negativity.

He did well. We won. He made mistakes, move on.
Thing is, his mistakes weren't even like, earth shatteringly bad... He got beaten a bit easily, especially for the second goal, but which of our defenders haven't been beaten easily in games? It happens... It was a poor game, but he kept going and contributed massively in a moment where were needed him too...isn't that the sort of thing we should praise in on players? (Along with the criticism of course)

el3mel

He got the assist of the winner, a cross that if Valencia had been there he would have hit it at the closest defender's shin, so I'm willing to forgive him for any poor performance.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Seriously, after those first two goals yesterday in which he has never looked more like a lost winger back in his own box you're gonna call him a "quality full back" :confused:
What are you trying to insist upon? That players are only as good as their last game.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Come on, he absolutely is not.
Need to check the definition of quality.
Quality full back my ass
Seriously, after those first two goals yesterday in which he has never looked more like a lost winger back in his own box you're gonna call him a "quality full back" :confused:
Young has generally been poor since January or so, but he was quite good before then. Every year for the last few he'd started down the pecking order before ultimately getting a chance and going on to be our best for the season. That shouldn't be forgotten.

Red_Ramirez

Also great cross for Sanchez's winner

I just wish the other more so called talented players played with the same effort and desire.

Foxbatt

He is one of the best crossers of the ball. We are crying for a player who can cross the ball from the right.
Yes we keep playing Young who is a winger as a right full back or a left full back.
Utter madness. Jose is an imbecile

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This. It doesn't matter who we buy he always finds a way back into the team. Di Maria, Memphis, luke shaw last season and now Dalot.
He played last season because no one else was stepping up. He played very well for a good portion of the season and I'd say was one of the major reasons we got a result against Liverpool. Also the only one that could actually put a cross in.
Blame Shaw for him playing last season, but I don't think he did a bad job. His career was dwindling out until others weren't stepping up, and he came back and put shifts in.
It should be Dalot playing now though.

Kostov

He played last season because no one else was stepping up. He played very well for a good portion of the season and I'd say was one of the major reasons we got a result against Liverpool. Also the only one that could actually put a cross in.
Blame Shaw for him playing last season, but I don't think he did a bad job. His career was dwindling out until others weren't stepping up, and he came back and put shifts in.
It should be Dalot playing now though.
Oh come off it. He has the luxury of being on the good page of Jose notebook and he got leeway others did not. He had plenty of awful games last season.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Oh come off it. He has the luxury of being on the good page of Jose notebook and he got leeway others did not. He had plenty of awful games last season.
He was still playing better than anyone else. When he came in everyone was relieved to actually have someone who can cross the ball. And his defensive performance against Liverpool was 10/10. He played Salah out of the game at the peak of his season, which completely nullified their threat.
Let's not revise things because Shaw is playing well this season and Young isn't.

Kostov

He was still playing better than anyone else. When he came in everyone was relieved to actually have someone who can cross the ball. And his defensive performance against Liverpool was 10/10. He played Salah out of the game at the peak of his season, which completely nullified their threat.
Let's not revise things because Shaw is playing well this season and Young isn't.
Nobody else got a fair chance really. He had plenty of bad games and mistakes, and he was never a long term plan for the position. His defensive performance against Liverpool wasn't a one man effort, and he didn't stop Salah on his own. It was a collective good defensive performance, in which Bailly was the best and yet he scored an own goal.

We revise nothing, just state the obvious. Anyone who followed the situation without any agenda would have told you that Shaw will play better if given a run of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.