Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Problem is he isn't any worse than Shaw. Williams might be the one who benefits from this fiasco.
Surely you can't believe this? Young is a calamitous footballer by now. Nice pass forward for the 3rd goal, but that's about the only good thing he did all game. His complete lack of a left foot is so damaging in his position.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm just questioning does the professionalism outweigh the lack of ability?

Is it a trade off in your eyes?, because in mine he's a weak link in that defence.

Harry for captain. Play Williams and give this guy some pom poms and a mini skirt.

No agenda here.
I was comparing his professionalism to Xhaka despite both players were booed. I don't know why do you need to bring up his lack of ability & how did you end up talking about his lack ability & being weak link in defense. No connection at all.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's what 34 now, can't blame him too much for not being able to hack it anymore at this level.

When is shaw back btw, I think it was a while ago when I read that he is training again. Has he suffered a setback??
Indeed, his age has caught up with him now which coupled with his already high level of uselessness isn't a good combo

At the start of the season I expect him to get another 1 year contract but now I'm not so sure. I think he may well decide it's time to retire

arthurka

Surely you can't believe this? Young is a calamitous footballer by now. Nice pass forward for the 3rd goal, but that's about the only good thing he did all game. His complete lack of a left foot is so damaging in his position.
Yes I do, Shaw hasn't got any great attributes. Plus he is never fit even when he plays he is never really fit. The sad thing here is that a 34 year old winner looks in better shape than a 24 year old fullback.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yes I do, Shaw hasn't got any great attributes. Plus he is never fit even when he plays he is never really fit. The sad thing here is that a 34 year old winner looks in better shape than a 24 year old fullback.
By saying he doesn't "look worse", you're talking about his qualities as a player. Shaw is very clearly a much better fullback than Young. If you believe Young is a better option to have in the squad than Shaw, then that's very different point.

Mcking

Shaw can play football, Young cannot.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Sorry to say that but Young is level with Shaw to be honest.

Shaw is mediocre in every aspect of his game, and Young is equally bad in these areas.

Maybe Shaw is a bit better, but everything is compensated by the fact that Shaw is injured 3 months out of 9 usually

Renegade

Has he played the most out of all our FB’s so far?

I knew we would see a lot of him this season. Suppose his an okay back up option but he plays too often because Shaw just simply isn’t reliable.

M16Red

I was comparing his professionalism to Xhaka despite both players were booed. I don't know why do you need to bring up his lack of ability & how did you end up talking about his lack ability & being weak link in defense. No connection at all.
Question or statement?

Either way, he's rubbish and should use his professionalism to retire.

Based Adnan

If the measure of professionalism is that he doesn't kick off or tell the fans to feck off then it's a pretty low bar

Too many times have I seen Young blame and moan at others after he himself has made a mistake.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Max Aarons tore him to pieces, a new LB is a must next summer. Shaw's completely unreliable and Young's old.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Question or statement?

Either way, he's rubbish and should use his professionalism to retire.
You are having agenda with the player when clearly I only talk about his professionalism with Xhaka’s. I bet if someone post a video or a picture of Young shows himself in charity, you will post a comment about his lack of ability.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think Shaw has many good attributes.

Defensively, I think he's very good with his positioning and dealing 1v1 with attackers. Often, before his injury this season, because Ole instructed Rashford to stay up, he's dealing with a 2v1 situation and does alright. He also has a great first touch, is very good in dealing with pressure, playing it out from the back, playing in tight spaces, etc. He's also got a good pass on him, which is strange because his crossing isn't very good.

So, defensively and in the build-up phase I think he's very good. It's in the final 3rd he's lacking. In my opinion, anyway.

Even though I'm still a fan of Shaw's and rate him, I agree that we need a LB now. If he can't stay fit - which he's never done during his 5 years here - then there's no point, really.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Young isn't a winger anymore, hasn't been for a very long time. Compare them as full backs

Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Leaving aside his own performances for a moment, it was touching to see Ashley congratulating & encouraging Marcus after his goal.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Ideally that should be his role in the team. Coming on to help up shut the shop or inject some much needed experience. He's fine at drawing questionable fouls, winding up oppos and time-wasting. I don't have problems with a tactical role for him like coming on as a defensive winger to help out our young full-backs.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I admire his dedication. I admire his perseverance in still playing at this level but he shouldn't be here.
He does his best but Young should have been long gone from United by now. Long gone.
Bad management.

Reactions: SteveJ

drdoityourself

Forever Young by Alphaville, that song best describes what is happening here. Been so bad for so long but he seems like he's here forever.

kundalini

There was a spell of about 30 mins in which Young never seemed to be in position to defend when Bournemouth attacked, nor did he seem to be involved in our attacking moves. Where was he ?

I have some sympathy for his unsuccessful attempts to contain their attack, as Rashford clearly had been instructed to stay up the pitch, rather than track back, which left Fred scrambling to get across to cover whenever their right-back attacked. In hindsight, that decision didn't work for us.

Far too much indecision, especially in the first half, though he wasn't the only United player who seemed uncertain how to play, in what were difficult conditions.

5 bookings earns him a one match suspension.

While this was a poor display, I don't think he's been that bad this season.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Was probably the best of our defenders today and still didn't play particularly well. Meh!

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's incredible that Ashley Young still starts games for Manchester United in 2019. It's even more incredible that he's far from the biggest issue in the team. It's not a very good sign.

Paddymcc

didn't get out quick enough after ball watching the play and letting the cross come in unchallenged for their goal.

These small mistakes count and cost in the premier League.

In fairness to him he has been better or mediocre when he's in a back 3/5 and pushed out wide and more forward away from the defence. But a complete joke that we are still relying on players like this and their mistakes like Valencia's in previous years are still costing.

el3mel

I can bet he will be a starter for us next season too. The guy is eternal. We buy whatever players we like to replace him and still ends up being a main starter.

Red_toad

Misses the next game due to picking up 5 books. Hopefully Brandon takes his chance.
Was relieved when he got booked and found out he’d be missing the next game. Was very poor even by his standards against Bournemouth. I feel sorry for Maguire and Rashford having to work extra hard to cope with his deficiencies.
Ive no idea why Ole brought him back into the team?

peridigm

I can bet he will be a starter for us next season too. The guy is eternal. We buy whatever players we like to replace him and still ends up being a main starter.
He's like a cockroach.

M16Red

Things that are better at defending than young.

Man Utd 3:0 Partizan

Zoo

Young has long divided opinion but right now he is so bad and showing his age. This has to be his last season here.

Crashoutcassius

Young has long divided opinion but right now he is so bad and showing his age. This has to be his last season here.
I think he's having an ok season given he is our back up. Did a great job on TAA who has been touted as a world class right back. Has created a good number of chances including a good assist tonight. He isnt great to watch but like I said for a back up that can play either side he has been effective

I think he's having an ok season given he is our back up. Did a great job on TAA who has been touted as a world class right back. Has created a good number of chances including a good assist tonight. He isnt great to watch but like I said for a back up that can play either side he has been effective
Exactly.

If Shaw was fit and had any sort of form he would be in the side, but he’s not and can’t be relied upon. He’s a squad player who can cover multiple positions adequately - you need those types of players. The likes of Bailly, Fred, Matic, Sanchez are much more of a problem than our reserve full back.

It’s not Young that needs to be replaced, unfortunately it’s Shaw if he can’t get himself on the pitch enough.

Classical Mechanic

Exactly.

If Shaw was fit and had any sort of form he would be in the side, but he’s not and can’t be relied upon. He’s a squad player who can cover multiple positions adequately - you need those types of players. The likes of Bailly, Fred, Matic, Sanchez are much more of a problem than our reserve full back.

It’s not Young that needs to be replaced, unfortunately it’s Shaw if he can’t get himself on the pitch enough.
indeed, he’s a decent back up but we just want to see less of him.

manutddjw

The issue is because Luke Shaw is so unreliable Ashley Young becomes a de facto starter for lengthy periods. He’s technically a starter and one that’s certainly not good enough. We should see what we have in Williams this season before deciding we have to buy a left back in the summer.

Roboc7

Not convinced it will be, Shaw and Dalot are both injury prone and there are other areas that need investment. I think there’s a good chance he’ll get another season, AWB will probably be only fullback that plays more this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.