Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

He was finished 2 seasons ago. Anyone could see it when Mourinho said he'll play 50 games the following season.

Got an assist today but even that was a fecked up pass that Rashford made the most of. Thankfully he's suspended for the Brighton game. He must leave after the summer.

Foxbatt

A waste of space. I never understood how he is the Captain of Manchester United.

Irwin99

He was alright and almost had the night off defensively. As I said in the match day thread, the instructions for the full backs to get forward was great to watch here and it complimented our attacking play but I don't expect to see it in Premier league games. There was at least 3 occasions in the first half when they charged forward and there was literally an empty space on our left side :lol: Again, not a criticism, just thought it was funny. Obviously the risk was worth taking in this game.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Cant fault his dedication. He always leaves the field having given himself to the cause.
We all know he's not at the level we want but that's hardly his fault.

RMD83

A waste of space. I never understood how he is the Captain of Manchester United.
Experience. Graft and winners mentality. The fact he is still so important to this team is a reflection of how poor we are more than him as a player. Wouldn’t get any where near any other top team agreed, but we aren’t a top team hence why we are in the europa league and celebrating qualifying in a group of crap teams. He’s a far more important cog than we give him credit for. Sadly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What’s the point of stupid comments like this? The guy is only only fit senior left back. He’s playing week in week out while the other injury proners are off on holiday.

yes Ashley is older and not the best anymore, but that’s on the club not him. He played fine tonight, literally zero reasons to moan.

he got an assist too let’s not forget!

Andersonson

What’s the point of stupid comments like this? The guy is only only fit senior left back. He’s playing week in week out while the other injury proners are off on holiday.

yes Ashley is older and not the best anymore, but that’s on the club not him. He played fine tonight, literally zero reasons to moan.

Best post in this thread.

tenpoless

When He joined us I thought He was going to last 4 years at max - as a third choice winger or a striker whenever needed. And then when Nani regained form and Valencia was the bomb, I thought well, maybe 2 years at max for Young.

Boy was I wrong. He's gone through 5 different managers as ManUnited player and none of them binned him off.

Nickelodeon

It is so painful to see him attempting the long through ball towards the LW. He literally never gets a good forward pass. His best attribute is his crossing but we have no movement in the box so that's pretty much useless. On top of that, he gets booked every single game. If we randomly pick an LB from any PL side, we'll be better off.

His presence in the team makes me more pissed off at Luke Shaw than anyone else.

Mcking

I hope Williams well and truly sends him to retirement against Brighton.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He wasn't even bad yesterday, got an assist and did well to bail out Maguire at one point.

His pass completion was way way up from what it normally is, he wasn't attempting pointless crosses and in generally he had a decent game. People just being critical for the sake of it I think.

Ace of Spades

At this point, I think moaning about him every game is really pointless. And I would point the blame at Shaw more than Young considering that whatever problem anyone has with Young's quality, he seems to be in good shape and looks after himself and yet Shaw always looks unfit and gets injured time and again.

This will likely be his last season here, and his replacement is already here in Williams. The one we need to look to replace next season is Shaw, but that gets overlooked as we have far bigger holes to fill in the squad in various other positions.

Djemba-Djemba

At this point, I think moaning about him every game is really pointless. And I would point the blame at Shaw more than Young considering that whatever problem anyone has with Young's quality, he seems to be in good shape and looks after himself and yet Shaw always looks unfit and gets injured time and again.

This will likely be his last season here, and his replacement is already here in Williams. The one we need to look to replace next season is Shaw, but that gets overlooked as we have far bigger holes to fill in the squad in various other positions.
Young is shite but this is all true actually.

Shaw would be someone I'd be getting rid of in the summer. He's got away with it for years because we've had other glaring issues that take up more attention.

settembrini

It should be his last season as a player but I can see him staying on at United after he hangs up his boots. Maybe joining the coaching staff under Solskjaer or working with the academy.

Revaulx

There have been spells when Young has been picked ahead of a fit Shaw entirely on merit. Just like he was with Di Maria.

Dve

I did not expect Young to play much this season, but frankly, he has been better than feared. Better than he was the last few months of last season, anyway. Overall, I think he´s done an ok job filling in for Shaw.

Josh 76

This is exactly where the problem is. He has one average game against a poor side and all of a sudden our left back problems are solved. :nono:

Foxbatt

It is a problem when we have Ashley Young as the only left back in the side of Manchester United. If we are aspiring to me a mid table side then I guess it is alright for him to be the Captain too. We have had Captains like Rio, Vidic, Neville, Cantona, Bruce, Robson, Buchan, Charlton, Rooney and then Ashley Young?? Yes I thought Valencia as a Captain was idiotic too.

Craig Ward

Agree with some, very little but some of this.

It is on the club that we haven't signed a replacement. Its a constant reminder that we are insanely bad in the transfer market, that we have to keep playing Ashley Young. That is a club issue I agree.

What I absolutely don't agree with is accepting his low level performances and heaping praise on him for "being fit". He is such a poor footballer its hard to watch.

" He played fine tonight, literally zero reasons to moan" is the most laughable comment I've heard for a LONG time.

He was almost always out of position, he looks shaky on the ball, he cant head the thing and he offers as little going forward as he does in defence.

If your willing to accept that Ashley Young level performances for us are "fine" then your in for a world of hurt for a long time supporting this club.

The fact Ashley Young starts is a reason to moan, and has been a good reason for a moan for several seasons.

he's consistent, i'll give him that. Shame he's always a 4/10 though

Adam-Utd

Agree with some, very little but some of this.

It is on the club that we haven't signed a replacement. Its a constant reminder that we are insanely bad in the transfer market, that we have to keep playing Ashley Young. That is a club issue I agree.

What I absolutely don't agree with is accepting his low level performances and heaping praise on him for "being fit". He is such a poor footballer its hard to watch.

" He played fine tonight, literally zero reasons to moan" is the most laughable comment I've heard for a LONG time.

He was almost always out of position, he looks shaky on the ball, he cant head the thing and he offers as little going forward as he does in defence.

If your willing to accept that Ashley Young level performances for us are "fine" then your in for a world of hurt for a long time supporting this club.

The fact Ashley Young starts is a reason to moan, and has been a good reason for a moan for several seasons.

he's consistent, i'll give him that. Shame he's always a 4/10 though
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about Craig. When was he caught out of position? At the times when he was pushing high up the pitch to create width? that's on the team for losing the ball sloppily. AWB was doing the exact same thing on the other side, and took just as much time to recover also.

He's a 34 year old on his last legs ffs :lol: people expecting prime Cafu performances are being seriously unrealistic.

When I say his performance last night was fine, he didn't make any major mistakes, he got an assist and generally helped the team, not a hindrance.

Do I want him to be our first choice left back? god no. Do we have any other choice? Williams is looking good but he's very raw, he can't play Thursday/Sunday yet. Have some perspective.

Adam-Utd

It is a problem when we have Ashley Young as the only left back in the side of Manchester United. If we are aspiring to me a mid table side then I guess it is alright for him to be the Captain too. We have had Captains like Rio, Vidic, Neville, Cantona, Bruce, Robson, Buchan, Charlton, Rooney and then Ashley Young?? Yes I thought Valencia as a Captain was idiotic too.
He's the captain because he's experienced and Vocal. What the issue with that?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about Craig. When was he caught out of position? At the times when he was pushing high up the pitch to create width? that's on the team for losing the ball sloppily. AWB was doing the exact same thing on the other side, and took just as much time to recover also.

He's a 34 year old on his last legs ffs :lol: people expecting prime Cafu performances are being seriously unrealistic.

When I say his performance last night was fine, he didn't make any major mistakes, he got an assist and generally helped the team, not a hindrance.

Do I want him to be our first choice left back? god no. Do we have any other choice? Williams is looking good but he's very raw, he can't play Thursday/Sunday yet. Have some perspective.
Seems like that is asking a lot on here sometimes, man.

Adam-Utd

Seems like that is asking a lot on here sometimes, man.
I don't know what people want/expect?

"AsHley YoUnG ShOulD NevEr Be In ThE TeaM" well that's great and everything, but who else plays there? Until Shaw is fit or we get a proper replacement that's what we're stuck with.

And nobody better suggest Rojo :nervous:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't know what people want/expect?

"AsHley YoUnG ShOulD NevEr Be In ThE TeaM" well that's great and everything, but who else plays there? Until Shaw is fit or we get a proper replacement that's what we're stuck with.

And nobody better suggest Rojo :nervous:
The real problem for me is Shaw. He's clearly not reliable enough to be playing LB for the full season for us. It's a position I think we need to majorly look at in the summer. Young is fine to cover there when needs to, but we need an actual LB we can rely on through a full season.

Craig Ward

So not making a mistake is now classed as acceptable?

I understand we have little options, but I refuse to accept that Ashley Young's performances are ever "Fine". Playing Ashley young has been a massive issue for our form for I would say 4, maybe 5 seasons. I absolutely hate the fact we HAVE to play him cos we have no other options, its utterly depressing to the core.

Shall I just play happy to suit your needs that everything is ok?

Clap and be happy cos Ashley Young has delivered another 4/10 performance but its ok cos he "tried" and "didn't make many mistakes"?

I don't expect Ashley Young to ever give anything other than what he is giving, he's simply not good enough to do that. He's always been a below par average at best full back. I understand that. I have plenty of perspective ta

I just know he is a problem, and labelling him as having a good game because he didn't do anything major wrong is a massive mentality issue with the fan base.

Why are you so content with "fine" performances from players who shouldn't even be at the club?

Where's your passion? If you are fine with Young's contribution, you have no right to moan when we fail

Adam-Utd

So not making a mistake is now classed as acceptable?

I understand we have little options, but I refuse to accept that Ashley Young's performances are ever "Fine". Playing Ashley young has been a massive issue for our form for I would say 4, maybe 5 seasons. I absolutely hate the fact we HAVE to play him cos we have no other options, its utterly depressing to the core.

Shall I just play happy to suit your needs that everything is ok?

Clap and be happy cos Ashley Young has delivered another 4/10 performance but its ok cos he "tried" and "didn't make many mistakes"?

I don't expect Ashley Young to ever give anything other than what he is giving, he's simply not good enough to do that. He's always been a below par average at best full back. I understand that. I have plenty of perspective ta

I just know he is a problem, and labelling him as having a good game because he didn't do anything major wrong is a massive mentality issue with the fan base.

Why are you so content with "fine" performances from players who shouldn't even be at the club?

Where's your passion? If you are fine with Young's contribution, you have no right to moan when we fail
You seem to be throwing the dummy out for little reason Craig.

Telling us all that Young isn't good enough repeatedly - YES WE KNOW. The team aren't expecting him to the answer, he's a squad player having to play too often because the first team option is always injured.

I've already stated him still being here is on the club, not Young himself. Constantly slagging the guy off who clearly does try his best in every game is just pathetic in my eyes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Everyone knows he's not good enough anymore but he was ok yesterday.
I don't think he was ever good enough, tbh. Signing the likes of him whilst City signed Nasri, Aguero, etc, was just asking for them to overtake us.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
You seem to be throwing the dummy out for little reason Craig.

Telling us all that Young isn't good enough repeatedly - YES WE KNOW. The team aren't expecting him to the answer, he's a squad player having to play too often because the first team option is always injured.

I've already stated him still being here is on the club, not Young himself. Constantly slagging the guy off who clearly does try his best in every game is just pathetic in my eyes.
Definitely.

I don't think he was ever good enough, tbh. Signing the likes of him whilst City signed Nasri, Aguero, etc, was just asking for them to overtake us.
Fair point of view. I think he was about £20m in 2011, which was a fair wedge those days, so you'd want a top-class starting winger for a number of years. What we got was a decent winger who showed flashes of brilliance for a couple of seasons who then got moved to wing back where he became an increasingly shabby part of the furniture. Nasri was better at his peak but I prefer Young over the piece to be honest, whereas with Aguero obviously there's no comparison to make.

Putting that aside though I'm with Adam; we are where we are with Young and with the squad generally so bagging him every time he doesn't look a consummate modern left back at the age of 34 is pointless, so I prefer not to do it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can we not play him ever again? What a terrible player he is, I seriously cannot understand how can someone decide he is good enough to start a game for us. Even if we don't have absolutely anyone to play in his position. Just play Romero there or whoever.

His reaction for their goal was absolutely pathethic.

Based Adnan

How many more Neville vs West Brom games does this guy need?

Cost us for the goal. Didn't commit to take the ball nor did he stand off incase Ali took the ball past Fred. Schoolboy stuff. Then he tries a flick to get past Lucas Moura which results in a very good chance for Tottenham. Our captain and most experienced player is an absolute liability.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Come on...he wasn't bad today. Give Alli some credit for the goal. It was class. As for the Moura incident that happened because of a poor pass from Maguire. He had to stretch for the pass and once he got it the only chance he had was to try and beat Moura. Other than that, he was ok today. Not great, but not "he should never play again" poor...

Rajma

Makes my blood boil just the sight of him, could have easily costed us this game. What on earth is Ole thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.