Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
I don't think he's suited to being a counter-attacking fullback the way Ole wants to use him. He worked better under Jose.

But a couple of decent moments from him today. He's still one of the best squad option fullbacks in the league.

As a defender to come on in the last few minutes, he's probably the man I'd trust most given all his experience.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Really good interview with Ashley Young on the latest United podcast

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1EG6xrGXmhpbyMu6k4n9B6

Talks about his time at Watford and Villa as well as playing under Fergie, and how mental that open bus parade was in 2013.

Gets a lot of (OTT) shit in here, but it's easy to forget how well he did to become England's starting left-back for the World Cup (and justifiably so)

Paul_Scholes18

Started poorly today and almost gave them an easy goal early on. Brilliant goal and a very good second half from him. He is better in attack than Wan Bissaka so would like to use him against defensive sides.

meamth

Always respected him. Always.

Can't believe all the insults he had in this forum and on social media.

Good game from him, again.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That finish was so good, I thought it missed... As it didn't make sense for it to go in the way it did.

DoomSlayer

Incredible finish, in my opinion, and had a good game, bar one brainfart in the first half, but there was again a lack in communication in defence, which happens too often for my liking.

kundalini

Super strike for his goal. Also created Mata's big chance in the first half.

One careless moment, losing possession inside our area.

His offside trap was noticeably deeper than the rest of the defence. Linesman decided the AZ player was offside so Young got away with it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I never wanted to sign him at the time. Despite a few goals early on, he didn't really win me over. However, he became a decent squad player under Van Gaal, but then became frustratingly more important to the first team than many of us would have liked under Mourinho, especially once he started wearing the armband.

He's had some good spells here, but they've been fairly brief. He didn't adapt to the fullback role as well as Valencia did IMO.

I'll be glad we can move on without him as he was just a stopgap that we kept hold of too long, but I have no ill feeling towards him. The effort was always there, to his credit.

Good player. Covers a variety of positions, and it’s not been his fault that he’s been better than expensive full backs that the club has purchased.

deserves a lot more respect on here from the keyboard warriors.

mu4c_20le

Leaving on a high. He won't score a better goal than that, and Williams has effectively ended him.

Paul_Scholes18

He is not gone yet. We will need him to cover both fullback positions still. Might need to sign another right back this summer too.

arthurka

With Laird,Williams and Dalot on the rise he won't be needed. Hope the CAF finds a new scapegoat for next season.

lRed

We've got like 6 of them.
Yup, Lingard, Lindelöf, Shaw are running the show.

To speak about Ashley Young, in my opinion he'll forever have a good career at Manchester United. What a goal against Arsenal.
Now it's good to have experienced players in the dressing room to be behind the youngsters in addition of Ole and his staff, a dressing room needs that kind of profile, like Mata too. I'm obviously not talking about Football, they don't have the legs anymore.

Reactions: SteveJ

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The problem has always been that he's not been replaced. Young has given it all but we demand better and the club hasn't supplied it so hard to fault Young for that. Outline stating that he won't be here after this season makes it sound like we're happy with having just the full backs that are currently on the books.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Thank God. Signing the likes of him whilst City signed the likes of Aguero and Nasri in the same window was always asking for us to be overtaken.

El Zoido

He’s been a solid professional his entire time here. He’s been playing left back for how long? He was never a left back, it reflects badly on the club that we never had an established player in that position and instead kept playing him for years on end. He’s stepped up when called upon and received so much shit for it. Personally I think he deserves credit for his attitude and commitment to the team over all those years.

Man Utd 3:0 Colchester

Andersonson

Isnt he quite fast for a player turning 35?

Whatever your opinion of young is, he is a model professional. Great fitness for his age.

Cant think of many players at the age of 34 or more that is better than him.

If he goes, good luck to him!!

arthurka

Isnt he quite fast for a player turning 35?

Whatever your opinion of young is, he is a model professional. Great fitness for his age.

Cant think of many players at the age of 34 or more that is better than him.

If he goes, good luck to him!!
I agree, the only reason he is playing as much as he is it´s because Shaw and co have been dire and never fit. Ashley is available when called upon.

Jonno

I'll never understand the criticism for Young.

He is incredibly professional, committed, plays to the maximum of his ability and wears the armband with pride.

Do you think it's his fault he's required to step in all over the pitch because players get injured/suspended/play out of form? At 35 he probably thought he would be coming on for 20 mins a game to sure up victories, not have to play countless 90 mins, with his limitations being exposed.

I'm pleased we have him, I just we had 2-3 more Wan Bissaka's at our club aswell.

Sylar

Do you think it's his fault he's required to step in all over the pitch because players get injured/suspended/play out of form?
IMO, its never a players fault if hes not good enough or has limitations. I think hes got a lot of undeserved slack. For any limitations he has, he still tries. One of the few things that has annoyed me is if he makes a mistake but then shouts at others (im pretty sure he did this against Barca away last season).

He needs moving on, but with out transfer strategy of moving out 4 and only bringing in 3, I can see why there would be hesitation to do so.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Top man. My man of the match today. They hate he gets makes no sense. Almost always solid and smart with his game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Very good today. Without any mistake, good in defence, added something in attack. Good game

Status
Not open for further replies.