Ashley Young - Captain of Manchester United

Rajma

Tells you everything isn’t it? Until he’s gone I have no hope for our club. One of the most talentless, brainless, and cowardly players to ever wear the red shirt.

Chairman Steve

I have no idea how he’s managed to be the main right back for the club, let alone captain. Either he has incriminating photos of Ed naked or he’s the luckiest bastard to be in the right place at the right time under so many managers. Pretty sure if we had a proper football structure the moment SAF retired, a DoF would have told LVG to bin him off... but alas since we don’t have that, all those post SAF managers have to figure it out for themselves, which is why we have so much deadwood.

RyRy11

He's finished and has been for a while now, at least he's got that new contract :annoyed:

freeurmind

weak willed
This thread is unfair tbh though Young does deserve some criticism. He was quite good when intially purchased and played in his right position which is as an attacking midfielder not wingback or centre back. He didn't ask to be captain, probably lack of alternatives. He was decent last season at left-back with Shaw still coming back to form and no other real options and has been an OK servant. Declined massively after Fergie retired and probably should have been moved on 2 or 3 seasons ago but you could say that about 4 or 5 in this squad.

Kag

I can’t remember disliking watching a player play for us so much.

His face. His kicking technique. The way he runs like a crab would walk. The fact he’s absolutely fecking hoching.

We were better when down to ten and that isn’t exaggeration.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young as captains for Manchester United. Baffling.
Worst that I can remember in over 30 years of supporting the club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This thread is unfair tbh though Young does deserve some criticism. He was quite good when intially purchased and played in his right position which is as an attacking midfielder not wingback or centre back. He didn't ask to be captain, probably lack of alternatives. He was decent last season at left-back with Shaw still coming back to form and no other real options and has been an OK servant. Declined massively after Fergie retired and probably should have been moved on 2 or 3 seasons ago but you could say that about 4 or 5 in this squad.
Young tries his best but the way the club keeps rewarding mediocrity is nuts. He epitomizes that sadly

Morpheus 7

If you ever want a quick explaination of why we aren't challenging for the title, read the thread title!

freeurmind

weak willed
Young tries his best but the way the club keeps rewarding mediocrity is nuts. He epitomizes that sadly
His extension was a mistake I agree but you'll probably see Dalot start next season or maybe Tuanzebe back from loan. I bet you none of the other top 6 clubs would have offered him a deal if we'd allowed him to walk.

Kostov

It hurts my eyes reading this thread title, but shows you everything you need to know. Ashley fecking Young captaining this great club. At his best an average PL winger regular at diving now leading us against Barcelona in the CL next week. And we wonder why we are so far behind? Don't wonder, feck the ones that let this to happen.

Idxomer

I can’t remember disliking watching a player play for us so much.

His face. His kicking technique. The way he runs like a crab would walk. The fact he’s absolutely fecking hoching.

We were better when down to ten and that isn’t exaggeration.
Couldn't agree more. Everything about him just angers me, I was almost glad when he got the red.

ravi2

Ashley Young was never consistently good for United.
Our left side went from Giggs to Ronaldo to Young and that tells you everything you need to know about where we are at the moment.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Prone to these absolute brainfarts. Was nearly sent off against PSG as well.

RB needed badly.

Sauldogba

Remember couple people trying to argue with me saying hes been a great servant.
Yeah..

GiddyUp

Worst that I can remember in over 30 years of supporting the club.
Too fecking right. The wingers for Villa and Wigan are the wing backs for Manchester United, in their mid 30's.

AndyJ1985

I think Ashley Young being captain perfectly encapsulates our decline.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Should have been shipped ages ago but we keep rewarding mediocrity. Can anybody in the transfer committee not see how avg this guy is? He will be shittier playing for lower clubs let alone us. And this guy is our captain. I thought Rooney as captain was bad but never thought we could fall to this level.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Terrible in possession. When he came under pressure he would just launch it up field. Could not retain the ball at all.

Smalling as well was the same albeit not as bad.

freeurmind

weak willed
Ashley Young was never consistently good for United.
Our left side went from Giggs to Ronaldo to Young and that tells you everything you need to know about where we are at the moment.
I thought he was good the first 2 seasons after his move from Villa, the goals against Arsenal, good crosses, pace and I thought he performed well. After Fergie retired his form collapsed. No consistency in the quality of delivery, he seemed to lose that spark. I don't think anyone can argue he showed decent form last season at left-back. To the point that he ended up starting for England at the WC all the way to the semi-final.

GiddyUp

It’s utterly pathetic mate.
I would go further, it's a sign of utter failure from the club. You'll have to excuse me, there is someone in another thread getting cheeky because I said half our squad is Everton quality, he doesn't understand the difference between players and squad.

R'hllor

From true leaders and winners, people bleeding for our shirt, putting their bodies on harms way, to Valencia and Young. When Rio was a DJ...

Sing you a song

Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young as captains for Manchester United. Baffling.
Totally agree I thought after Valencia we couldn’t get a worse captain but we managed it , problem we don’t have a single leader at the club not one of them fit to be captain

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
He is the reason Liverpool fans feel better about Henderson being their captain...

Njord

Once revered for our wingers and centre backs we, replaced Giggs and Ronaldo with Young and Valencia, and Vidic and Ferdinand with Jones and Smalling. After almost ten years they are all still at the club, and three out of four have signed new contracts. We really fail to aknowledge our mistakes, don't we?

drdoityourself

We really have a problem cutting the chord with average players that just aren't taking us where we think we belong.

We are not very patient with young players with flair, Zaha and Memphis come to mind.
But these hard working, 'do a job ' players, who wouldn't look out of place in Middlesbrough, are all coming up on their testimonals.

The top teams are ruthless in this department. Barca signed Chygrinsky for a high fee in 2009, quickly saw he was wank and shipped him off. If he'd come here instead we would probably be planning a testimonal in the summer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think the time something shat in his mouth in the middle of the game affected him psychologically. It’s all been down hill since then for Ashley.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully he played his last game for us. Young wearing arm band (for that matter most players in our squad) shows how far we have fallen.