Ashley Young - Captain of Manchester United

Snafu17

I mean he's not very good, but I'm not sure why is he cowardly?

Cloud7

Remember couple people trying to argue with me saying hes been a great servant.
Yeah..
I really could not care less about this “great servant” shtick that people like to toss out to defend average players (most notably Valencia and young these days). They aren’t good enough now, and that’s all that matters. I have no time for how many years they’ve been here or that they never complained or fired their agents or any of that nonsense. Where it matters the most they aren’t good enough.

Kostov

Thank you captain you did us a great service tonight. Absolute cretin.

This should be his last game for this club. Shocking management to let this guy still play for Manchester United. Criminal.

He has cost us multiple goals this season, this is just another in a long line. He was only ever a squad player in his prime and in his preferred position so i cannot fathom how he's ended up as a starter in a different position at 33.

el3mel

It's a disgrace for the club he's the permanent captain now.

The more disgusting thing is I can't find any replacement for him to get the armband either !

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of the worst fullbacks in the league.
Not surprising given he's a 30 odd year old winger, he shouldn't be at the club unfortunately.

Mal donaghy

This guy was a SQUAD player, under fergie, over seven years later and 100% shitter he is our captain :eek: go figure .

Snafu17

When he knows he is about to be exposed by a winger in terms of pace or skill, he resorts to embarassing fouls. He doesn't even wanna try to fight anymore. Makes him appear tough and all
So he's trying to avoid situations where his deficiencies will come into play. Don't know how that makes him a coward.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So he's trying to avoid situations where his deficiencies will come into play. Don't know how that makes him a coward.
It's a matter of interpretations. I'd also getting rid of the ball by hoofing it aimlessly is a coward move, passing it back to Smalling or DDG at the slightest hint of pressing is a bit cowardly for me.

redshaw

Shouldn't be playing for us these days. I'm tired of his brain dead mistakes and poor delivery. Experienced captain material is laughable at best. He's been a good squad player but he's not able anymore. I don't really blame him though, it's the people who cling on to players well past it.

BlackBen

I've been saying it and I will say it again. The first step to our return to glory will be parting ways with Ashley Young.

No doubt the "he gives his all/he's a great servant " posts will surface. This guy is the poster boy for everything that's wrong with this current Man United side.

PoTMS

A more ambitious club would've let his contract run out. I mean, you don't have to even look that far in City for inspiration. They got rid of Clichy and Zabaleta in one season and replaced them with proper fullbacks and instantly looked a whole lot better.

Beanz

I honestly have never complained about a player as much as I have about ashley young. Even my mum who knows very little about football knows how much ashley has angered me over the past few years. There are no words to explain my anger towards his useless type of play. Jesus!! Ashley young. ugggh.

And the worst part is the fact that he has a red card means he's 100% going to start vs barca and I feel like curling up in a corner and crying

NJM78

We cannot blame Ashley, he is not the stupid one picking himself.

freeurmind

weak willed
A more ambitious club would've let his contract run out. I mean, you don't have to even look that far in City for inspiration. They got rid of Clichy and Zabaleta in one season and replaced them with proper fullbacks and instantly looked a whole lot better.
50 million plus on each mind you. We dont even spend that much on centre backs.

johanovic

We are a team without a leader and that´s plain to see. Ashley Young should not be playing for United.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Renewed his deal and might let Herrera leave. Says it all.

Gopher Brown

This thread is unfair tbh though Young does deserve some criticism. He was quite good when intially purchased and played in his right position which is as an attacking midfielder not wingback or centre back. He didn't ask to be captain, probably lack of alternatives. He was decent last season at left-back with Shaw still coming back to form and no other real options and has been an OK servant. Declined massively after Fergie retired and probably should have been moved on 2 or 3 seasons ago but you could say that about 4 or 5 in this squad.
That’s not true, he was one of the few players who performed decently under LVG.

He’s always been largely ineffectual though, even under SAF

Red00012

Hopefully he played his last game for us. Young wearing arm band (for that matter most players in our squad) shows how far we have fallen.
He’ll be starting next Wednesday night week sorry to disappoint you.

youmeletsfly

I hope his wife has continuous menstruation, that's what he deserves right now.

Irrational.

How the feck did he get that contract? Surely he must have something on Woody...

Hopefully this is his Gary Neville West Brom moment. Play Dalot until the end of the season.

Waynne

We should try to play an actual Right Back (and a good one at that) in the right back position.

RedorDead21

We cannot blame Ashley, he is not the stupid one picking himself.
Yep. Giving him a new contract...playing him.....thankfully in football you reap what you sow.....upgrade him and we will be rewarded :)

El Zoido

He’s been a decent squad player over the years but he’s absolutely finished now and should have been let go rather than awarded a new contract. Shades of Neville’s last game tonight, it’s as bad a performance as I’ve ever seen from a United player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
His worst game in a United-shirt since I can remember really. Has been in terrible form lately. His leadership is decent but his quality is regressing quickly, his bottom level is bound to get worse at 33 and is already pretty terrible. We have to remember he always was a pretty average player to begin with so in this age he'll not get better. Next season he should not be playing more than 15 games.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I like him for the effort and think he's been a good player for us, but he is the polar opposite of what a captain should be and particularly the type of captain thus team needs.

Panicks at the first sign of difficulty, can't play under pressure. Always the first to resort to aimlessly hoofing the ball and always the first to do something rash. On top of that constantly switches off or gets caught not concentrating.

He is a squad player who has had to step up out of necessity but the fact he's ended up as captain in those circumstances does tell you a lot about what's wrong.

Burkeovic

Hopefully that's the last we will see of him this season dalot starts for me rest of the season but we all know this won't happen as young is are captain :houllier:

Last edited by a moderator:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Hopefully that's the last we will see of him this season dalot starts for me rest of the season but we all know this won't happen as young is are captain :houllier:
The problem is he's captain because he epitomizes the problems we have rather than being the route cause of them. Take him out and we're still going to panic in games just the same.

King.of.Red

Worst performance. Very sloppy. Maybe he is good captain for the team, but his quality is not. Frustrating to watch.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think I have called a United player before, but I did tonight. Brainless and awful, cost us the game.

I will rate Ole so highly if he lets him go in the summer. Won't happen though, we're a retirement home for average, past it players.