Ashley Young to Inter Milan | Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
out of contract in June. What did you expect?

I'd rather pocket 1.5m and get rid of his wages now than have him in the stands for the rest of the season.
Agreed, it's a weird shame it's come to this but if those are the options we've taken the correct one, for both the club and the player. Farewell Ash.

Darkhorsez

I’m glad he’s finally off, because he’s a 34 year old squad winger whose been squeezing out a starting career as a makeshift fullback for way too long now, but I don’t have any animosity toward him whatsoever. He’s had a very decent career here, scored some crackers and always seemed to absolutely love it, as well as being a top lad.

Best of luck to him.

Also he apparently has a very respectable 7 England goals, and I don’t remember a single one of them, despite presumably being present for most of them?
Well put

Meep

Always seemed to be a professional and looking in shape. He has been a good squad player although overpaid and lacking edge the last years.. This is good for all parties. Good luck on his continued career. Will miss the forever young jokes me and my son usually shares on repeat whenever he does something extra. Been longer and longer between those "jokes".

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fellaini, Darmian, Valencia, Smalling, Sanchez, Lukaku and Young gone in 12 months. That was the dream when Solskjær took over wasn’t it?
The Baby Faced Assassin... :devil:
But Ashley Young, has been a good servant to the club, it's not his fault that he wasn't a great FB, not what he was originally signed to do, but he always put in a shift for us.
Can't begrudge him a couple of years playing on the continent, a good move for him and United. Good luck to him..

meamth

The only player left from SAF's era are Jones, De Gea and Smalling. Have I missed anyone?

Truly a season of transition, and I'm excited to see the next generation of United team.

Well done Youngy, good luck in Italy!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The only player left from SAF's era are Jones, De Gea and Smalling. Have I missed anyone?

Truly a season of transition, and I'm excited to see the next generation of United team.

Well done Youngy, good luck in Italy!
Pogba.

Lebowski

The Caf podcast crew summed up a lot of my thoughts on this situation, and I would recommend everyone who doesn't understand why people are a little unhappy with this situation to listen to the last 15ish minutes of the most recent show when they discuss the Young rumours in detail.

It's not that we're losing an integral part of the squad, but the circumstances surrounding his exit leave a lot to be desired.

Getting into a situation where your club captain is going on strike mid-way through the season to force a move abroad is not indicative of a well run club at all. He could've left last summer or this summer and nobody would have batted an eyelid.

It looks like what's happened is we've not negotiated his contract and let it run down to 6 months remaining, at which point he's free to talk to other clubs. To the club's surprise, he got an offer from Inter, and they then offered him a new deal in a last ditch chance to get him to stay. He rejected the deal, and kicked up a fuss to force through his move now rather than in the summer because his relationship with the club had soured.

If this was an isolated incident then it would be less worrying, but we've got form. Evra and Herrera both talked about wanting to stay, but the club refusing to enter any contract negotiations until the player had received an offer from another club, at which point it was too late to get them to stay.

I'm not sad to see him go, and I wish him all the best as he's always seemed like a decent, professional servant of the club. I am however worried that the club again appears to place saving a few quid on contract renewals above squad cohesion and making players feel valued.

That essentially the same situation has happened to at least three senior players under three different managers suggests that for the people making these decision, on-field success is not their priority at all.

Drifter

American
Some on here could not wait to see the back of him .But for me he was a great servant for the club and to play in a position which was not native to him for so many years showed his professionalism . Wish him well on his new chapter.

Mike Smalling

You can't really fault his effort or professionalism. He has been a decent servant to the club. He has declined over recent years though, so he certainly won't be missed.

Good to see that we are slowly clearing out the players that do no fit the style or do not live up to the standards. Lingard next please.

jackal&hyde

Mixed feelings on this. We could have used him a bit for the rest of the season but more then that he was done at United. Great opportunity for him to have 2 more years of contract at a good club.

Was a great servant to the club and a true professional. Good luck on wining Serie A!

ArjenIsM3

What a life he is having.

Played and won for United, enjoying his retirement days at Inter, possibly winning La Liga.

Gerrard can't even lace his boots!:D
He'll be the first player ever to have won La Liga with Inter. He'd be the GOAT

Ban

What a life he is having.

Played and won for United, enjoying his retirement days at Inter, possibly winning La Liga.

Gerrard can't even lace his boots!:D
It's Internazionale after all, they can play in multiple leagues all over the world.

Scriblerus

Good luck to him. He's been a decent player for us. Admittedly I won't miss watching him scuttle down the left and then slow everything by cutting the ball back onto his right foot. Time after time.

Status
Not open for further replies.