Ashley Young to Inter Milan | Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickelodeon

If Ashley Young successfully bullies us into an extension, then we should just give up

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think Ole is afraid it would look bad if a senior player leaves us now. Sends the wrong message.
However I think we should just let him go. His last chance to play abroad and we have enough cover at fullback IMO with the emergence of Williams and Dalot coming back. We also have Laird who's very highly rated, that's 5 players.
All kinds of wrong messages have been sent for a while.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
This is Conte getting back at Mourinho by winning the league with the worst players from his old squad. He'll be after Jones and Lingard next hopefully.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This year was the one year extension as cover. There cannot be another year. That'd be absolute madness unless on half the salary max.
100k a week, or use the likes of Williams and whoever the right back youth teamer is as cover. It's a no brainer.

Ixion

Over a 100k a week for 9 years. Some people need to let that sink in. It's really easy not to rock the boat when you're at a club too big for you and they've paid you tens of millions.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Genuinely stunned that Woodward would offer him an extension now. Probably highlights his incompetence more than any other decision he's made.

Not the decision itself but the manner of it. "I was going to let him run out his contract, but now that I see Inter want him, maybe he's better than I thought? Better offer him a new deal."

He might actually be the most clueless CEO in the league.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Genuinely stunned that Woodward would offer him an extension now. Probably highlights his incompetence more than any other decision he's made.

Not the decision itself but the manner of it. "I was going to let him run out his contract, but now that I see Inter want him, maybe he's better than I thought? Better offer him a new deal."

He might is actually be the most clueless CEO in the league world.
Fixed this for you.

Ban

So we're actually begging him to stay. What a gross incompetence, I'm out of words.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

If these are true the club is genuinely finished.

"The club are not giving up hope of Young agreeing a new deal before the summer. "

I just can't anymore, i really can't.
He's refused to play already. What leadership do they expect he'll offer? I'd be sulky as shit if I were in his shoes.

Ban

So the club is actually that cheap they'd rather keep him?
Watch Lingard betting a new contract soon.

Traub

I think the problem is we lack real leadership qualities. Pogba is on his way out so if Young leaves, we are basically left with DDG as our most senior player - the keeper who can't even command his box, let alone a dressing room.

However, keeping Young is not the answer. The fact that we are relying on Young to be our senior player shows the real problem here. I think we need to bring in a couple of more senior players with real leadership. I just don't know who (for example, Liverpool brought in Milner and VvD).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Really showing our class as a bunch of supporters in this thread. Young has given us many years of service and always without fail seemed to (a) give a shit and (b) leave it all out on the pitch. He'll be a loss to the dressing room more than he would be on the field. Can completely understand why we would try to give him another year, and also bear no grudge towards him for wanting one last challenge.

Honestly the state of this forum these days. Worst I've seen it in the 15 years I've been a member.
He's always been mediocre at best for us. A few good moments here and there but overall nothing special. We owe him nothing. He's spent 9 years here, won a few trophies and got paid more money than he would have anywhere else. I'd say we've given him more than enough already.

There should be no room for sentimentality in modern football. He's 34 now and clearly not good enough for us anymore. Fergie would've fecked him off 2 or 3 years ago. All this is is pure panic by the club because they realize it's cheaper to keep him than to sign a new player. Same thing they did with Jones and Mata. They probably never actually expected a club like Inter to come in for him, or for him to refuse a new contract if they waited til late on and low-balled him. It's symbolic of the shambles we've become.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When you think club can't reach any low, they always find a new way to prove us wrong.

ROFLUTION

Always liked him. Always been a great servant and an example of professionalism. He might not be Ronaldo but he's been giving his all and is also down to earth too/a fan himself.

Deserves a move, just alone for all the abuse he has taken to the chin.

RightSaidFredTheRed

We are fighting for Youngy
Please stop! This is why we have a squad bloated with crap.

Yes he is still energetic considering his age and can put the odd tackle in, but he isn't worth £50k, let alone £120k. Williams is far superior, Dalot is far superior. We should be promoting players like Laird to cover injuries and he would be what £30k max for an amazing salary at his age.

Yes some youngsters won't have the leadership ability, but frankly a little bit of fearless attitude and fresh hunger will count for far more.

It seems Ole and the board are desperate to maintain any resemblance of experience and leadership we have to save buying it! The problem is we are trading that off one of the more important elements of actual ability and energy on the pitch. And the experience and leadership elements are not actually very good. Years of underperformance and poor leadership often a factor.

EngimaMK

We dont really have a choice. He can only be 'kept' for 6 more months and his is then a free agent.

If you meant we should let him go now, I agree with that. I like him as a personality and hate the criticism he gets from some of our 'fans': despite not being a top player for us, he has always been very loyal, committed and passionate about our club, culminating in being club captain. It may not be 'good enough' for what we became accustomed to under SAF, but that not his fault at all. And he has little to offer in our future (and we have some youth coming through), but so much to gain from living in another country under a new manager.

I have no negative feelings towards him, and genuinely wish him well for his future.

Absolute perfect response that sums up exactly how I feel.

Judas

Open to offers
That's what he's currently on, and if Inter have offered him a contract, he's hardly going to take lower than what he's currently on from us, is he?
Is he actually on that much already? :lol: then I don't get why the tweet was posted at all then, its old news he's rejected our offer. I thought the money was the new info.

Status
Not open for further replies.