Ask The Opposition 2019/20: Leicester City (Premier League - Home)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Twitter: @red_cafe

Back by very popular demand is the return of Ask The Opposition. Our segment where we ask fans of opposing teams forums some questions and post a selection of the responses back on here.

This week, I went to Leicester City subreddit r/lcfc and asked some questions. Thanks to all of them for responding.

Our next game after this is against West Ham United and the newbies are tough to get questions from, so if any of you have any questions you'd like to be asked, please contribute. Would be much appreciated.

Q01: How do you feel about the Rodgers appointment? He had Liverpool playing some decent football, but overall his time there probably wouldn't be classified as a success (2013-14 notwithstanding when Suarez tore up the league). Are you confident he can lead Leicester into the Top 6? (question provided by @Man of Leisure)
JakArtagel: Very happy. I'm 90% confident we'll be top 6.

MadlockUK: Rodgers has been great and ensured that talent, not bias, has given player positions in the team. If can find a consistency in the team, I think we have it in us to take a Top 6 psoition though that is the biggest question mark. My only concern is we need to be better at creating chances, which has been an ongoing problem in general.

Ge0rj:
My initial reaction was excitement but trepidation. The bloke clearly has a monstrous ego and I was worried that he'd try too hard to make it all about him. Initially I found that to be the case but he's really mellowed over the last 6 months. He seems to have put aside his David Brent like persona and he's putting his ideas across to the team well. I we do often struggle to break down sides that sit in but I feel that those games are becoming much less of an occurrence than they were with Puel.

alextw4:
Feeling great about Rodgers, realistically the best standard of manager we could attract at this moment in time (angering Celtic fans was a nice bonus)

Thought he did well with an average squad at Liverpool

I think confident is a strong word. We're optimistic that we might be able to sneak in, but i don't think any of us are expecting to come 6th or higher.

-dilettante-: Rodgers is a great manager - he did some good things at Liverpool and was amazing at Celtic. Brought them up a gear not many people knew they even had.

TheHairyBanana: He's exactly the calibre of manager we need to push into the top 6. There was an interesting stat around that since Rodger's appointment, Vardy had become the highest scoring player in the league. I think that speaks for itself as to how happy we are with him.

Protodonata: I had an open mind about Rodgers when he came over to us and I think he’s doing well so far. He had been doing well at Celtic and I definitely think he can do well here. Also: almost anything would’ve been an improvement over Puel for me.

Pacifistycuffs: I don't think he'll lead us into the top 6, I don't think there's any manager that could without major slip ups by the big six at the same time - despite the woeful form you, Chelsea and Spurs ended with, and Arsenal in a transitional year, the group of us, wolves and Everton were still well behind. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan and never will be - I'm dubious about his record in general (Liverpool for me was a failure, two hodgson level finishes and sacked in 10th; and Celtic has been a one team league for a while - although positively for Scottish football Rangers seem to be recovering) but more than that, I dislike his Brentish persona, the way he left Celtic makes me doubt his character (walking out the week of a cup quarter final and a game against near competitors for the title), and the revelations of his treatment of Moussa Dembele (Namely breaking a gentleman's agreement with Dembele then going straight to the press to paint Dembele as the bad faith party) last summer really solidify a very poor disposition to him. That said, the football so far has been fine, bit lucky in parts (I don't think we deserved to win at Sheffield United) but a reasonable continuation and tweak of what came before.

Q02: How do you feel about the Maguire transfer in terms of value for money for both parties and how do you think he will do at United? (question provided by @Solius)

JakArtagel: We brought him for £17m and sold for £80m so yeah pretty happy with that. Think he has the potential to do well at Man Utd but the whole team is obviously struggling right now.

MadlockUK: I liked Maguire, but was he worth £80m+? Not on your life, he is good at playing forward and okay defender, but he has some curious decision making as well as leaving massive gaps in the back. Great progressive player, and an okay defender. Probably would have sold him for £65m!

Ge0rj: He's a brilliant central defender that's prone to daft shit. Obviously abysmal value for money for you but it's tough for teams like us to sell our better players because the risk of not being able to replace him is so high. We haven't replaced Riyad Mahrez yet but we were able to replace Harry Maguire.

alextw4: Maguire is excellent value for us. Not so sure for you guys. He's exciting to watch and was definitely a fan favourite here, but honestly i'm surprised his hype lasted all the way from the world cup to now, last season was arguably his worst season for us in terms of individual performance.

-dilettante-: Happy with the Maguire transfer really. Got a good price for him, he was never a cnut about leaving and I think he'll grow into the size of Utd as a club and be a great long-term option there.

TheHairyBanana: For us the Maguire deal on paper was great and it was definitely a good deal. For you it is yet to be seen. Man Utd is what some would call a black hole for talent.

Protodonata: I didn’t want to lose Maguire because he is a solid player. But once £80m+ seemed to be the likely figure it seemed right. It’s a lot of money for any club, but could definitely be out to good use at Leicester. Harry wanted to join a bigger club and I can respect that too, footballers are like anyone else in life and just want to climb higher in their careers.

ECHRE_Zetakya: £80m? We saw you coming and robbed you blind. Once Man Utd saw there was a "most expensive X" going, your management was always going to pay up to satiate the fans. Absolute daylight robbery.

Pacifistycuffs: I think we mugged you off at 80m. I'm pleased with the fee, but if the tables were turned and we were looking to sign a player like him, I'd balk at about 60m. He's a good defender prone to brainfarts, he'll do fine but he won't be the difference between you getting CL football again and not

Q03: When the Maguire to Utd rumours began to grow and it pretty seemed like a matter of time he was going to become a Utd player, there was talk of you guys lining up either Lewis Dunk from Brighton or James Tarkowski from Burnley as Maguire’s replacement. Neither of those moves materialised and you seem to have put a lot of faith in Soyuncu to partner Jonny Evans at the back. Do you think that is a risk that you did not purchase a replacement or is Soyuncu really that good to step up as first choice next to Evans? What kind of player is he? (question provided by @RedDevilRoshi)

JakArtagel: Soys the boy, he's playing out of his mind so far. We don't even miss Maguire tbh. Soy is confident with the ball and has great timing for tackles, as long as he isn't injured I think we'll be okay.

MadlockUK: Soyuncu has paid his dividends many times over with him and Benkovic, there wasn't a massive call for alarm. For us a new CB is more about looking to the future when Morgan is likely released (or likely put into a new role at the club), and the aging Evans. For now, Evans has much needed experience and Soyuncu is quite skilled. Between them, they're a very solid pair of centre halves.

Ge0rj: Soyuncu is a bit of a Rolls Royce type defender. He doesn't have some of the qualities Maguire has but one thing he does have is pace. We're able to play a much higher line now. I think the defender he's closest to is probably David Luiz.

alextw4: Soyuncu is excellent, and even if the gamble with him hadn't paid off, we were expecting to have Benkovic fit and ready anyway. Morgan is getting on but he can still play if we need him to.

Soyuncu is a similar player to Maguire in that he's big strong but very good on the ball. Seems to be full of confidence and we haven't seen many major errors from him yet. He's also still a young boy and has the chin of a Greek statue.

-dilettante-: Soyuncu is great. Pacey and a good one-on-one defender. Sometimes has the odd lapse in concentration but hopefully experience will buff that out of him as he's still pretty young.

TheHairyBanana: I personally was always of the belief that we should put faith in either Soyuncu or Benkovic. We bought them last year for a reason. And obviously any team we try to buy from now is going to rinse us clean. As to how good Soy has been for us is he's been close to perfect. He's really made his mark in the first team and it's only been 4 games. Kind of like Daniel James for you.

Protodonata: I was initially hoping we would spend money to replace Maguire but we didn’t need to. Soy has been playing a really robust and solid role since Maguire left, and I have genuine faith in him to put in the important tackles and recover for us. Also: his dicks fecking massive.

Pacifistycuffs: We bought Maguire's replacements last summer when the rumours first started, no issue not buying another CB - at least until Pascanu left permanently and a good few of the youth CBs left on loan, now there's a slightly worrying lack of depth if one of Soyuncu and Evans gets injured - I'm happy with our first choice CB pairing.

Q04: There are already rumours about James Maddison to Utd. How highly do you rate him and what fee would you be happy with if that did happen? (question provided by @Solius)

JakArtagel: Maddison I rate extremely highly, would definitely prefer him to stay. Would have to be a lot of money, I've seen some people say £100m which if he keeps developing at this rate and Leicester do well this season that seems a reasonable price imo

MadlockUK: He is incredibly good and our king of the set piece. He still needs better decision making at times, but he is learning and growing considerably. For him to go, I'd want £150m as he is an essential part of our midfield!

Ge0rj: I would hate to see him go to Manchester United. Without trying to be rude I don't think you're the right place for young talent to go to these days. He's England's best creative midfielder right now (Foden will overtake him at some point) and I think if he were to leave us i'd like to see him going to somewhere without the pressure of bringing a club like Manchester United back to where they were 10 years ago. Thinking off the top of my head, Dortmund would be ideal for him. In terms of a transfer fee, he'd be a lot more than Maguire.

alextw4: I wouldn't be surprised to see Maddison move on next Summer. He's an excellent player but i don't get the feeling that he's particularly invested in Leicester.

He's hugely talented and i wouldn't be surprised to see him at the very top by the end of his career. He is prone to going down embarrassingly easily and appealing absolutely every tiny touch he receives however.

-dilettante-: I personally think Maddison is the best creative English midfielder we've seen for a generation, maybe even two or three. Anything under 100m considering his age, English tax and his sheer quality would be a bad deal for us.

TheHairyBanana:
James Maddison is fantastic. Very rare to feel like he's invisible or riding as a passenger. Always bringing the ball to dangerous places and similarly to Vardy he has this aura that he's going to score/assist no matter what. Fee wise I don't think you can afford it. And if you could I don't think you should pay it.

Protodonata:
I don’t want to put a financial figure to Maddison. He’s a fantastic, creative midfielder and he’s progressing very quickly. And don’t forget that he’s English too, so I think whatever price we ask for him will be considerable. Probably a club record. But I don’t think he’s ready to leave, I hope not anyway. I’m not convinced he’d be starting for United for a while, but if he stays with us he’s nailed on to start every week.

Pacifistycuffs:
He's quality, frustrating at times with his decision making, namely when to release the ball, but his creativity is top notch - I'd not accept south of 100m.

Q05: Maddison has performed great over the past season for club, but for the international team he’s behind Barkley and even Mount. Why do you think this is - because he doesn’t play for a so-called “big club”, because Barkley is a better fit at centre mid, or some other reason? Are you confident he can become a starter for country if he continues playing well?

JakArtagel: Yeah top 6 bias is what's holding England back. Won't matter once Leicester finish top 6 :P

MadlockUK: I think for Maddison he likes to play a 10 and it leans well into his ability. I think Rodgers has identified that and is looking to mold him to be flexible in positions with the same skills he has. In terms of him over Barkley, I think he is better than Barkley though I suspect he was chosen as he is more physical than Madders. As for Mount, I have to admit, that seems like the Lampard and Top 6 influence. I think Mount will potentially been good yet he's only been in the PL for four games over Maddison's season.

Ge0rj: I'm personally convinced that there is preferential treatment given to players who either came through big club academies or plays for big clubs. Players like Lingard, Barkley and Mount haven't done what Maddison has.

alextw4: I just don't think he fits well into Southgate's system. It is absolutely mental gets game time ahead of him, but i'm not sure i'd put it down to big team bias. Mount deserves his chance too.

-dilettante-: Southgate weirdly doesn't seem to fancy Maddison, maybe because he doesn't really play an AM in his side, or because he doesn't play for a top six club. Top six bias is a real thing - if Barkley played for Leicester he'd be nowhere near that England first team.

TheHairyBanana: There's definitely something going on behind the scenes. For Maddison to be called up twice but not played at all in favour of 2 Chelsea players is nothing short of suspicious. Southgate goes on about how he's not sure how Maddison would fit. Well it's hard to see where he'll fit if you never try to play him.

Protodonata: We can only guess at these things really. I do think there is some “big club bias” at the international level, but we just don’t know. Maybe Southgate just hasn’t seen in training what we’ve seen on the pitch so far. Maybe he’s just trying to gel with a new set of lads for England. There can be a ‘settling in’ period when a player joins a new club, and this probably isn’t much different. I hope we’ll see him in the October England fixtures, and I’m very confident we’ll see him playing in an England shirt many many times in the future.

Pacifistycuffs: I don't watch England play outside of tournaments, because qualifying is generally boring, so I don't know what Southgates tactics are like, but with the likes of Barkley and Lingard getting in it does feel like big club bias

Q06: How have things been since the league win? Has it been easy to go back to mid-table or now you've tasted that high is it a bit more difficult? (question provided by @Solius)

JakArtagel: Ups and downs, the season right after was a heart breaker. Wouldn't trade it for the world though, and we back on track now.

MadlockUK: I think as most clubs do, there is a struggle and a bit of player flight to various other teams, notably Chelsea and Man City. As a fanbase, some still focus on that though I think we've matured into a Top 10 team and have a focus on Top 6. I think we miss those CL nights though I suspect this season or next, we'll have a real shot if we find that consistency.

Ge0rj: We've just had our 3rd highest finish since the turn of the millennium. We're moderately happy to keep progressing but we really do have the side to challenge that "Big 6" properly now.

alextw4: Honestly, each season has seemed slightly dull to me since 15/16 (with the exception of the Champions league run) but i dont know if that's more down to the ranieri decline / Puel's style of football.

The positive is we've managed to jettison a lot of the bandwagon fans since then.

I think those of us that have followed Leicester their whole lives know that 7th-10th (maybe knocking on 6th or making a decent cup run) is about our realistic target right now

-dilettante-: The league win distorted a lot of expectations. It was the best thing to ever happen to our club, and it may very well be the best thing to happen to us going forward. But I think most fans are happy to be knocking on the door of the top 6 and, for my part, I'd like to see us be a lot more competitive in domestic cups. If we could win a few trophies over the next 3 seasons or so that would be fantastic.

TheHairyBanana: 16/17 was our reality check. Since then I think we've gone back to being more realistic.

Protodonata: The league win was an absolute highlight of my life, an unexpected and magic moment that a lot of people won’t get to feel on that scale unless they support a big six club. We were just off the back of almost being relegated the previous season and then we only went and bloody won the next one!! But after that win, most fans just knew we’d be seeing some key departures from the squad. And we knew that it was realistically not going to be a regular occurrence! With that said, I think we’ve continued to grow as a club every season. We have a lot of talent in our squad and I think players will see Leicester city as less of a stepping stone to a bigger club now, and more of a great club to join if you want to be fighting for a great finishing spot. I won’t lie to you though mate, I think we are capable of another win. Not this season maybe, but soon. We get better every season.

Pacifistycuffs: I think there is a bit of a split between those who remember touring the garden sheds of league one and are quite happy to consolidate as a top half side, and those who think this is our golden side and need to push on while it's still in recent years. I fall into the former - I started going under Micky Adams, so my early memories of football is one prem season, then the nightmare of Levein through Holloway leading us through championship relegation battles, this is far beyond what I grew to expect from my team

Q07: What's Jonny Evans been like for you? We always liked him at Utd but he kept getting little injuries that would keep him out for a while and eventually his form dipped. (question provided by @Solius)

JakArtagel: Like you say Evans gets injured a lot. Can't complain about his play though.

MadlockUK: His instincts are fantastic even if he isn't the quickest, he's usually in good positions. Knock on wood, he hasn't been too injured so far though I have faith in him as a CB for the season.

Ge0rj: He's been brilliant. Only cost us 3m and has been relatively injury free for the entire time he's been with us. Most Leicester fans would tell you he outperformed Maguire last season.

alextw4: Evans has his ups and downs, some games he's absolutely solid and calms the rest of the team down, other games his positioning gets us into real trouble. I think Soyuncu's had to bail him out more than he should have to. That said, 3mil for him was insanely good business, massively surprised that we got him for that.

-dilettante-: Evans is great. His experience really shines through and I think he's a great figure to have around the club. I think keeping him fit and motivated is key but as long as we're doing well I don't see motivation being an issue.

TheHairyBanana: Evans has been great. Reliable, rarely injured and consistent.

Protodonata: Evans is okay. He fills a role at the back but I’ve seen him make mistakes and a few silly challenges. I think he fits in alright with the squad though and seems happy enough.

Pacifistycuffs: He started very slowly and looked less than convincing for the first 5 or so months but since January he's been one of our better players

Q08: Which three Leicester City players do you think will be ones to watch this season?

JakArtagel: Vardy (he's on fire right now), Maddison, Tielemans (he's not been playing at his best so far but I reckon he'll pick up to how he was last season)

MadlockUK: For me, Albrighton is having a massive revival. It's scandalous he never got an England call as he is an artillery piece when it comes to crosses. I'm hoping this year he finds that next level.

Maddison is another one to watch as he continues to improve and make huge impacts in the game. I suspect he'll continue to improve.

Lastly, (and I'm not looking at it with an English bias) is Harvey Barnes. He has a rapid pace and his shooting is improving. If he gets a better conversion rate, he could be a deadly left winger for us, and potentially a solid back up to the likes of Sterling on the LW.

Ge0rj: Maddison - Think he's got an outside chance of winning the PFA Young Player of the Year award.

Choudhury - Outside bet of making the Euro 2020 squad. Proper defensive midfielder that has a great range of passing, a great engine on him and loves a tackle.

Soyuncu - He's just brilliant to watch. Already building a great collection of strikers in his pocket.

alextw4: Soyuncu, Choudhury, Tielemens

-dilettante-: Pereira seems to fly under the radar but for my money he's one of the best RBs in the league. Think Choudhury could have a big season in midfield. Also I think Barnes will only get better and if he can become a regular starter he might get some interest from bigger clubs.

TheHairyBanana: Harvey Barnes, Youri Tielemans and Jamie Vardy

Protodonata: This is a tough question because I think there is far more than three outstanding players at the club. Honourable mentions to Tielemans and Chilwell who I’m expecting to have a great season. But here’s my three:

Watch out for Maddison. He’s lethally creative. He picks out balls like a machine and can storm a defence. He’s still growing his skill set but he is a fantastic player and I’m fully expecting him to shine this year.

Soyuncu too. He’s been a shining CB since Maguire left. He had big boots to fill and he has been filling them. Watching him blitz back across the pitch to recover the ball is beautiful and he plays some intelligent football in defence. He definitely helps to makes us a hard team to score against.

And don’t forget Vardy. He’s not slowing down, he’s not past his prime, he’s just getting started. With Tielemans and Maddison feeding in to him this season I’m sure we’re going to see Vardy up there contending for most goals scored this season. He’s an icon for our club with a tremendous footballing history. Expect him to shine again this year.

Pacifistycuffs: Harvey Barnes - the lads a really exciting, direct attacker. His finishing at times could do with work last season (think in the end he scored 1 from about 50 shots), but he gets people off their seats

Other than that, Choudhury is a very good ball winner who I'm interested to see develop, particularly competing with Ndidi, who is one of the best destroyers in the world for my money

Q09: Are there any young players you feel are on the verge of breaking into the first team set-up?

JakArtagel: Hmm think most of our best young players are in the 1st team at this point, we have a very young side.

MadlockUK: I think from the development squad Muske looked comfortable part of the senior team in a few pre-season friendlies and done well with Zimbabwe on the break. He and Leshabela have a chance though it will be slim. They'll have to prove to Rodgers who has a saturated and skilled midfield to take them on. It's not often we've been a bit spoilt for choice in a few positions.

Ge0rj: There's the likes of Harvey Barnes and Hamza Choudhury that are in and out of the side but right now there aren't many academy players that I think will come through this season.

alextw4: Choudhury is probably already there but he'll struggle for gametime when Ndidi's fit.

Barnes looks good when he plays but we have a lot of strong attacking midfielders right now.

James Justin is only 21, we've not seen much of him yet since we only signed him from Luton this summer but he's very highly rated.

-dilettante-: Benkovic at CB maybe, Barnes I've mentioned already though he has some first team minutes already. I've always thought Darnell Johnson looked good when I saw him play but not sure how close he is to first team action.

TheHairyBanana: Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall won the 18/19 u23 squad's Player of the Season so he's probably the favourite. Previous winners include: Chilwell, Barnes and Choudhury. All of which are prominent in our current setup.

Protodonata: Please Gray, please. I want you to succeed so badly and you were looking alive last week.

Pacifistycuffs: Does Benkovic count? Not made a senior appearance yet for us but starred for Celtic last season and with only really Evans and Soyuncu as senior CBs at Prem level (Morgan is finished), he shouldn't be far off

Q10: How do you expect both Manchester United and Leicester City to do in the league this season?

JakArtagel: We are rivals for a top six place, I think we'll both make it but Leicester will be 5th and Man Utd 6th. I am biased of course.

MadlockUK: I think we will be competing for 5th and 6th potentially, if we can maintain consistency. I think United is the big question mark as the team seems low on confidence with Maguire (oddly enough) being a key reason you haven't suffered more.

Ge0rj: I think we'll give you a good run for your money in the race for the Europa League group stage places.

alextw4: Man Utd will recover (or sack solskjaer) to 4th / 5th

Leicester 7th +/- 1 depending on how Wolves, Everton and Spurs do

-dilettante-: I think we may finish above you in the league. I could see us getting top 6 and I could see Utd struggling to break into it considering their current run of results. But it's a long season and things can change so who knows.

TheHairyBanana: I expect a great special season for us. For you I have a feeling things are going to get worse before they get better.

Protodonata: I don’t follow united too closely but I expect them to find their usual place in the top 6. Whenever I’ve caught a United game in the past 6 months or so, I’ve got to say it looks a little disjointed over there. You’ve got some fantastic names in the team but seem to lack a little cohesion. Top 6 seems likely, but top 4? Not convinced this year.

As for Leicester? I see us fighting for a top 6 spot. Our squad this year is lethal and we have that bite. We want top 6, the players want top 6, and we can get it. United will need to watch out because we’re both looking for a spot up there. ;)

Pacifistycuffs: Ole doesn't convince me much, and I think with him in charge you'll be around 5th or 6th, well off the top two. For us, I'm unsure, we've not been that convincing (Bournemouth is the only game I'd say we deserved to win) but getting the results. We'll be in the battle for 7th, but might just fall short. Somewhere between 7th and 9th.

Q11: Which XI would you like to see your team field against us?

JakArtagel: Schmeichel Ricardo Pereira, Evans, Söyüncü, Chilwell Tielemans, ndidi, Albrighton Maddison, Vardy, Barnes

MadlockUK:
Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell
Ndidi Hamza
Perez Tielemans Maddison
Vardy​

I'd like to see Barnes and Gray as impact subs. I think for a side that breaks hard we'll go to a 4-2-3-1 formation to ensure Ndid isn't overloaded in midfield.

Ge0rj:
Kasper
Ndidi
Albrighton Tielemans Choudhury Maddison
Vardy​

alextw4: Kasper, Chilwell, Soyuncu, Evans, Pereira, Tielemens, Choudhury / Ndidi, Maddison, Albrighton, Perez, Vardy

-dilettante-: Schmeichel, Chilwell, Evans, Soyuncu, Pereira, Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Barnes, Albrighton, Vardy

TheHairyBanana: Schmeichel - Pereira Evans Soyuncu Chilwell - Tielemans Ndidi Choudhury - Perez Vardy Maddison

Protodonata: Keeper: Schmeichel

Defenders: Pereira - Evans - Soyuncu - Chilwell

Midfield: Choudhury - Maddison - Tielemans - Barnes

And I think I’d give Perez a chance to keep playing and find his form too.

Forward: Vardy

Pacifistycuffs: Schmeichel

Tielemans Ndidi Maddison

Barnes Vardy Albrighton

Q12: Finally, your predictions for the match?

JakArtagel: 2-1 to Leicester. It's a difficult match for both sides, we have the momentum going in and the confidence too so think we'll manage to pull it off. I'm not betting on it though, it's Man Utd after all.

MadlockUK: I'm predicting a 2-2 draw as I think we'll need a moment to warm up. After that, we'll tend to get more honed in the second half where United have been characteristically weak. If we win though, it'll be pandemonium!

Ge0rj: I think there will be goals. I'll go for 2-2.

alextw4: Man Utd 1-2 Leicester

-dilettante-: I think it'll be a good 2-2

TheHairyBanana: An exciting game. Hopefully a lot of goals. 3-2 for us

Protodonata: it’s going to be a great match I think. I expect us to play well and with a lot of pace on the counter. If I were a united fan I wouldn’t be going into this one with a good feeling in my stomach. Leicester can upset you here, and I almost expect us to at this point! Predicted score?

United 1 - 2 Leicester

Pacifistycuffs: We've not got a great record at Old Trafford, but the United of today really feels like a spent force. 2-2

Raw

Interesting reading their thoughts on Maddison. He'll cost a bomb if we ever do get him but it sounds like he's a serious talent that I fear we'll regret not getting when he keeps on improving.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
They're pretty much laughing at us in most answers but none of the points are particularly easy to argue with :lol::(

Interesting to read their thoughts on Maddison, Soyuncu and Choudhury.

Zlatattack

It's nuts that we didn't make a move for Maddison this summer. Even worse is that we didn't move for Teilesman. I'd love to pinch him, Maddison and Chillwell from Leicester. It's never going to happen though. Leicester are too rich and we're too stupid.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Interesting reading their thoughts on Maddison. He'll cost a bomb if we ever do get him but it sounds like he's a serious talent that I fear we'll regret not getting when he keeps on improving.
Another player plucked from the championship. It’s amazing when you look at Robertson and Maguire, who were relegated with Hull (so effectively in the championship at the time of acquisition) what the value of these players are now. Shows what you can get with a bit of smart shopping

red4ever 79

It's nuts that we didn't make a move for Maddison this summer. Even worse is that we didn't move for Teilesman. I'd love to pinch him, Maddison and Chillwell from Leicester. It's never going to happen though. Leicester are too rich and we're too stupid.
Add Vardy in there as well and Ndidi and we would be much stronger.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Another player plucked from the championship. It’s amazing when you look at Robertson and Maguire, who were relegated with Hull (so effectively in the championship at the time of acquisition) what the value of these players are now. Shows what you can get with a bit of smart shopping
For now James has done well and many ManUtd fans couldn't wait to write him off because he was signed from championship.

roonster09

Scout
Those answers are depressing to read. Hope we smash these cnuts.

stu_1992

Not one think it's possible that we'll get a win! Most have gone for a draw and that's fair. I think if Leicester if they attack may suit us better than the last few games despite them being a superior team to those. Think they will finish close to us this season though.

Interesting to read their thoughts on Maguire. There's a range of opinions there, but they do seem to all agree that we overpaid. I'm sure most on our side feel the same, but we won't mind if he comes good. They all seem to think they are sorted back there with this Soyuncu lad. Can't say I've heard of him.

They seem to rate Maddison incredibly highly. I've no idea if those prices would be realistic but I don't expect any club to come calling for him at those prices, and certainly not us next summer. We still have so many weak areas that I don't believe that would be money well spent. I didn't realize he hadn't gotten a game for England yet either.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
After our depleted side beats them comfortably, can we ask them again?

Alabaster Codify7

Leicester have slightly iffy defenders but we have zero creativity so besides a hit and run goal from James or Rashford they will be shielded well by Ndidi and probably untroubled.

With Pogba, their midfield is on par but more efficient/cohesive. Without Pogba, their midfield is way above us.

We're losing.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
They're pretty much laughing at us in most answers but none of the points are particularly easy to argue with :lol::(

Interesting to read their thoughts on Maddison, Soyuncu and Choudhury.
None of points can be argued against? Maddison is best English creative midfielder of his generation, maybe 2 or 3? Soyuncu is a great defender on the back of 4 games? :lol:

Most of their heads are too far up their own arses. 16/17 season was a huge reality check for them, this one could be too. Top 6 is by no means certain like many think it is, no matter how incredibly shit we appear to be at the moment.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I have a question for the opposition:

Can we borrow some of your players?

roonster09

Scout
None of points can be argued against? Maddison is best English creative midfielder of his generation, maybe 2 or 3? Soyuncu is a great defender on the back of 4 games? :lol:

Most of their heads are too far up their own arses. 16/17 season was a huge reality check for them, this one could be too. Top 6 is by no means certain like many think it is, no matter how incredibly shit we appear to be at the moment.
Difference in expectations. Evans was seen as a weak link, they consider him as very good player.

Yeah, they are too confident, can't blame them as their form is very good. Hopefully we will smash them.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

I mean only the points about us. I believe them that they're happy with the Maguire cash and I believe them and all other oppos I've spoken to when they say they like their chances when visiting Old Trafford these days. There's nothing I can say with a straight face to argue against the fact we appear to be rivals fighting for the Europa League positions.

GGT

Think it will be a close game, but we are not losing this one. 2-1 to United
last home we lost 2-1 against Palace, are these opponents better or worse?
are we going to field a stronger side Saturday than the Palace match?

I think both answers go against Utd, but to counter that you can never judge matches with reference to just our last match.
Also the players are surely ready to turn a corner and put i n better performances.
I will predict 1-1

Ekeke

I know it sounds daft, but at the same time there was a thread talking about Maguire being a great CB after 1 game for us. So 4 games sounds a lot more reasonable

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Are these Leicester fans for real quoting £100-150 million for James Maddison? :lol:

We'll batter them tomorrow, along with Maguire opening his account for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They won't sell him for less than they sold Maguire for, that is for sure.
Maguire was in a longer contract at the time no? If Maddison hasn't signed any new contract since he joined in 2018, he may be in a better position than Maguire to exit for a more reasonable fee.

Damien

Staff
Maguire was in a longer contract at the time no? If Maddison hasn't signed any new contract since he joined in 2018, he may be in a better position than Maguire to exit for a more reasonable fee.
Expires in 2013, he'll only be 23 next summer, attackers tend to go for more than defensive players and Leicester's owners are loaded. Would be great if we can get him for less than £80M but can't see it.

Expires in 2013, he'll only be 23 next summer, attackers tend to go for more than defensive players and Leicester's owners are loaded. Would be great if we can get him for less than £80M but can't see it.
Great he's available on a free then :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They won't sell him for less than they sold Maguire for, that is for sure.
I doubt even Woody is foolish enough to offer up £150 million for James Maddison. We could have gotten Eriksen for half that price in the summer, among a whole host of top attacking midfield talent scattered across Europe.

Irwin99

I should be used to it by now but it's so weird seeing oppo fans view us as a midtable team, which is what we are obviously, but still.

Damien

Staff
I doubt even Woody is foolish enough to offer up £150 million for James Maddison. We could have gotten Eriksen for half that price in the summer, among a whole host of top attacking midfield talent scattered across Europe.
Yeah, I think we'd only pay that for Sancho (if we qualify for the CL and he wants to come here). Other signings next summer we'd probably be trying to get for Wan-Bissaka prices at most. Guess it depends what happens with Pogba.

TRUERED89

Yeah just one draw, the season they won the title (ended 1-1).

Plus the only time they've beat us was the crazy 5-3 game.
Yep the 5-3 in LVG’s first season. Di Maria with a beautiful chip over Kasper, I remember it being 3-1 to us at one point during the game. On paper the attack looked ridiculous, RVP, Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria.

Yagami

Good post resistant
After the summer transfer window just gone where we had an influx of Leicester fans join, you could've just asked here, @Damien :D

After our depleted side beats them comfortably, can we ask them again?
That'd be nice :lol:

RedDevilRoshi

If we somehow win tomorrow, with the squad we presently have available to us against this “over confident” lot, then I’m sure they will have a lot of egg on their faces.

Plus as history will tell you, don’t write Man Utd off when you least expect them to get a result....

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I should be used to it by now but it's so weird seeing oppo fans view us as a midtable team, which is what we are obviously, but still.
Well, a 5th/6th placed team, which with the exception of one season under Jose and a spell of a season under LVG is pretty much what we've been since Ferguson retired.

I still see us as a top 4 side based on the players we have and perceiving that we've underperformed, but this season even that is stretching it. We have 4-5 injuries and the line up we put out tomorrow will arguably be weaker than Leicester's.