Ask The Opposition 2019/20: Southampton (Premier League - Away)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Twitter: @red_cafe

Back by very popular demand is the return of Ask The Opposition. Our segment where we ask fans of opposing teams forums some questions and post a selection of the responses back on here.

This week, I went to Southampton subreddit r/SaintsFC and asked some questions. Thanks to all of them for responding.

Our next game after this is against Leicester City and the newbies are tough to get questions from, so if any of you have any questions you'd like to be asked, please contribute. Would be much appreciated.

Q01: You've had some real ups and downs with managers in the past 5 or 6 years but the ups have seen you appoint some very good ones. Nobody really knew who Pochettino was when he came and look at him now. There was Puel & Koeman to an extent and now Hassenhuttl who has really turned around your style of play since his arrival. Why do you think you've always had good success with managers from abroad? Is there someone knowledgeable on the board solely responsible for the hiring? (question provided by @Solius)
karoz: We make a big deal about scouting managers as if they were players. Constantly monitoring the situation in Europe. But I don't know how that lead us to Pellegrino and Hughes. Did we need a vast scouting network to figure out Ralph is a genius coach? I laughed when we were first linked with him. We are definitely punching

MyoMike: I think our club modelled itself some time ago on a very European model where the manager was a “head coach”, as opposed to traditional manager who made all the decisions. The idea being the manager shouldn’t dictate everything about the club, because that’s how clubs get stuck in one place and then screwed over trying to transition from one to another.

The manager was brought in with the idea that he suited what we wanted – positive, attacking football, utilising youth, developing players (both our own youth and those we bought in), and generally that they’d be involved in transfers, but there was an overarching plan they had to fit into, a longer term goal for scouting, transfers, progression etc. So they were surrounded by excellent staff, and fit into our existing philosophy well instead of coming in and trying to impose a totally different one (think Palace trying to overhaul themselves with De Boer), and the staff would look at multiple managers across Europe to try to find the right fit. It meant that recruitment of managers, staff, and players was successful for some time (more hit than miss at least).

The downs…. That’s its own story.

GenericRedditUser01: I think we've recently had success with managers from abroad because they were good proven managers who wantes to be here.

Until recently it was Les Reed (Director of football 2010-18) who was responsible for selecting the manager. Since the arrival of Hassenhüttl that role has been removed, so it is less clear what the new process is.

ClausTheDrunkard: I think our success in this department has been overstated slightly. Poch inherited the core of a squad with a lot of potential, as did Koeman. Aside from being excellent managers they were successful because they had the full backing of the board. Puel just didn't understand that there is more to football than sideways passing and Pellegrino didn't understand football at all.

saintsbynumbers:
There's no secret, partly because the board changed half way through that series. Hiring managers is complicated, some matched well with where the club was at the time, and some haven't.

Q02: Following up from that question, you've also had a lot of players snapped up by bigger clubs over the years who have been very successful. Mane, Van Dijk, Tadic, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Bale and Walcott to name a few. It seems both in players and managers you are almost a feeder club for others who take your best and brightest. I know it is hard to hold on to players at times when big clubs come calling but how do you feel about this perception and are you happy with it as long as the production line keeps producing? Or do you have different more long term dreams for the club where you could eventually build a proper team with these types of players? (question provided by @Solius)

karoz: We'll always be a feeder club. We've made too many errors in recent years and it's why we are struggling. I do wish our fan base would appreciate the brilliant players we have when they are here. Tadic was one of the best players in the champions league last season and our fans always moaned about him. Loved watching him at St Marys. It was embarrassing how long it took our fans to realise Mane's greatness.

MyoMike: For some time we billed ourselves as the place to be to get a chance in the PL. We’d get promising players that other clubs may have looked at but didn’t want to take that risk. We’d scout as carefully as possible, and for a while were more successful than not, with some outstanding successes in there too. It was built into the model somewhat, and one of the best ways to progress as a newly promoted club, not that long out of League 1, to an established PL club, while fighting against FFP limitations and such. We got quality players and sold them on for high profit, allowing us to invest in building a bigger, better squad. Again, that went downhill with a number of poor decisions, but assuming we start progressing again, it’ll just be nice to be good enough to have interest in our players. Then it’ll be frustrating that they all go, but maybe one day it’ll be we get Europa League again, and a few extra stay for a bit longer. There’s a limit to what we can hope for and expect, and we’re realistic about that.

The youth players you listed were from a very different time, when we had been relegated and a) needed the money, b) had even less power when a PL club came calling, and c) it’s rare that a club below the PL won’t let a player move on when a PL club comes calling anyway. That was a testament to our academy, not being treated as a feeder club. The “production line” now is exactly what we need it to be, we can either keep players to supplement the team, or make a profit on investment. Just look at a player like Targett, or Chambers, who pay off an entire “generation” of youth players, and from that same generation we also sold Shaw (~£30m), Gallagher (£5m), and have kept JWP. Not a bad ratio.

GenericRedditUser01: In reality every club is a feeder club bar a select few at the peak of the top European Leagues. It wasn't long ago that Liverpool were consistently losing their best players to Barcelona.

You have to remember that when we had Ox, Bale and Walcott we were flirting with administration and in League One or the Championship. We haven't been back in the PL long, so haven't had the money to pay players good money until recently.

I'm sure if the team had a player like Bale come through the ranks now they would try much harder to hold onto them. They did try and push back on Van Dijk as despite just signing a new contract and asked to be made club captain, but then he had a tantrum and refused to play until he left. This is why we have no ill-will towards Mane, but a fair but for VVD. I think looking at how Crystal Palace have held onto Zaha is something we should try to emulate with the right player.

I think everyone wants the club to be better and be fighting for that 6th/7th spot and getting European football. The club seems to agree, but are aware that they will inevitably have to sell if a champions league club comes calling. I think fans would be dissapointed if we sell our best players to West Ham or Everton as the only thing they are probably offering to players is more money.

Our biggest problem at the moment is getting rid of terrible players. Unfortunately we might have to sell some good ones just due to the damage the poor ones are doing to our wage bill.

ClausTheDrunkard: It's tough for some fans to swallow this but we're a feeder club and players like VVD don't want to spend their prime years in Southampton. The club has put a lot of emphasis on the academy recently, it's very hard to keep up to date with the number of 16-18 yr olds signed. But the owner also wants us to be self sustainable, which means the best will be sold if they reach a certain level.

saintsbynumbers: We managed to find the only real way to avoid selling your best players to richer clubs, which is to sign worse players and pay them more money. Having dabbled with that strategy, I'm looking forward to getting back to the old way.

Q03: Which players in the youth setup are you most excited about? (question provided by @Solius)

karoz: Willy Smallbone, Jake Vokins, Enzo Robise

MyoMike: Slattery (CM), Smallbone (CM/AM), Vokins (LB), and recently I’ve been getting really excited about N’Lundulu who has been beasting it in attack for the U23s. Klarer also looks like he might be a really good defender. We’ve recently shifted to not just producing players from our region, but also poaching from clubs in the UK and beyond, actually using that highly rated academy and known production line (giving youth a chance) to our advantage.

GenericRedditUser01: Currently in the 1st XI squad: Valery and Obafemi.

Currently in the U23 squad: Klarer, Vokins, Slattery, Smallbone and N'Lundulu.

ClausTheDrunkard: It's hard to pick one because there are so many! Definitely the strongest group we've had for a while.

Q04: James Ward-Prowse is probably the exception in that he's stayed with the club despite others sniffing around at times. There has been a lot of promise and hype around him since a young age. Do you think he's delivered on that or is there still more to come from him? (question provided by @Solius)

karoz: JWP has not realised his full potential, he wants to be a holding midfielder but can't impose himself on a game there. A great squad player with a wicked set piece delivery.

MyoMike: Not delivered on all the promise, still regarded a bit like a prospect despite getting further through his 20’s, but had an amazing run of form under Ralph last season that gave us all hope, and desperate for that to continue.

GenericRedditUser01: JWP as an extremely technically gifted footballer who lacks physical attributes that are necessary for the PL. He is short, slow and lacks agility. He does, however, have a superb engine and consistently covers the most ground in matches we play. Consequently it has been difficult to find a position for him.

Recently he has been extremely good as a number 8 pushing forward in a 433. It definitely seems to be his best position and got him an England call up. Unfortunately, Hassenhüttl has been playing a 2 man midfield so far this season and JWP has struggled in those games.

ClausTheDrunkard: Here's the thing with Prowsey; he was the golden boy of the academy. The club loved him and spoke as if he was the next Lampard/Gerrard. Because of that some fans have overpraised him, and conversely some have been overly critical. He isn't the midfield general we hoped for but he's one of our best midfielders.

Q05: Yan Valery scored an absolute cracker against us last season at Old Trafford and then I think another against Spurs a week later. How has he come on since then? (question provided by @Solius)

karoz: Yan Valery is improving every minute he spends on the pitch. Massive potential, has such effortless speed.

MyoMike: He’s still very young, and is a bit defensively suspect, but also is far more effective in attack than any RB we’ve had since Clyne at his Southampton peak. Some of that is formation and tactics, some of it is experience, and some of it is our CB/midfield players covering or not, but overall I am very positive about him. If we want someone a bit more solid then maybe we should play Cedric, but Ralph likes his youth players and Valery does a good job and will only get better with game time.

GenericRedditUser01: He has had some great games and some poor games. We have played a lot of 343 where he doesn't seem to have the pace for an ideal wing-back. He is solid in defence, but often gives the ball away cheaply.

ClausTheDrunkard: He still looks very unsure of himself from time to time but he's growing into that modern full back role nicely. Can see him going for big money after a strong season.

Q06: How did you feel about Mario Lemina's what the media called a 'come-and-get-me' plea with that highlights video he posted? (question provided by @Solius)

karoz: Lemina being linked with United is laughable. He's brilliant on the ball, has a great engine. Truly awful passer. There is a reason Juve sold him. Ralph likes vertical speed up the pitch, Mario likes to dither on the ball and run in circles before passing to a ball boy.

MyoMike: Extremely poor form. He’s not done enough for us to deserve that step up he seems to think he does, and even if there was a supposed promise of only having to be here for 2 seasons (we’ve apparently made a few “one more year” agreements in the past) then selling yourself on twitter isn’t the way to go about it. There’s also a difference between maybe being told “come here and do well and you might be off to a CL team again in 2 seasons”, and “you only have to be here for 2 seasons then you can down tools”.

GenericRedditUser01: Its very obvious Lemina just didn't feature in Ralph's plans. Guido Carrillo, Charlie Austin and Mario Lemina all have not trained once with the 1st XI since the season ended. Austin has already been sold and we are hoping to sell the other 2 before the European deadline.

Mario thinks he is a world class player, but in reality no one really wants him. He has incredible dribbling ability for a big man and can be strong in the tackle, but outside of that he's just not very good. Fans were worried when Lemina claimed that he was promised to be sold 2 year after signing. This was shot down at the fan forum with the CEO saying that "just doesn't happen in football".

The highlights were hilarious because he sped them up. He is one of the players that we can't seem to sell. I was gutted when Man Utd's interest evaporated.

ClausTheDrunkard: Woodward would be stupid enough to fall for it.

saintsbynumbers: I don't care, but pretty much everyone else hated it.

Q07: You finished in the top half in 16/17 but have flirted with relegation the last 2 seasons. What do you think needs to change for you to become a top 10 team again? (question provided by @Indnyc)

karoz: The league has changed. Top to bottom everyone has got smarter and improved, we have not.

MyoMike: Mentality, tactics, players, belief, fortunes, transfer successes, and manager. All of which are hopefully being changed under Ralph. Tactics have, though we’re not fully showing ourselves to be competent at Ralph’s preferred tactics or formations yet – hopefully that’ll come. The rest… takes time. But I don’t think we’re that far from being a top 10 team again, as long as Ralph stays for this season, because I honestly believe that even if he left next summer, the foundation we’d build under him, and the board hopefully having learned their lessons with Pellegrino and Hughes, would see us stable and able to push for top 10 again.

GenericRedditUser01: Good manager (We've got one), good squad of players (We don't have one).

ClausTheDrunkard: A stronger defence and a manager with the tactics and attitude to try and win every game. We've got the manager but not the defence.

Q08: Which three Southampton players do you think will be ones to watch this season?

karoz: Redmond- our best player. Adams - can he solve our wastefulness in front of goal (i'm skeptical). Danso - Can a 20 year Austrian stop our defensive feck ups? (no but it'll be fun to see him try)

MyoMike: Adams, Djenepo, Hojbjerg.

GenericRedditUser01: Nathan Redmond, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Sofiane Boufal.

ClausTheDrunkard: Adams; great season for B'ham but can he step up? Djenepo; Lots of similarities with Mane (no, not just because they're both African wingers) Valery; Will he keep improving? How far can he go?

saintsbynumbers: Just one, Hojbjerg, who you can probably get for under £40m next summer if he has another good year.

Q09: How do you expect both Manchester United and Southampton to do in the league this season?

karoz: Man Utd 6th - In a league of top managerial talent, Ole is not the guy Utd need. 13th - we might struggle to get into the wolves, leicester, west ham midtable mini league

MyoMike: I expect United to finish outside the top 4, sorry guys. I expect Saints to finish around 11th.

GenericRedditUser01: Man Utd 7th, Saints 13th

ClausTheDrunkard:
Very hard to say with United. Everything might just click under Ole but I don't think they've strengthened enough. Saints will linger around lower-mid table based on current evidence.

saintsbynumbers: Not that well.

Q10: Which XI would you like to see your team field against us?

karoz: Gunn; Bertrand, Vestergaard, Yoshida, Bednarek, Valery; Hojoberg, Romeu; Adams, Ings, Prowse;

MyoMike: Would like is different to expect, seeing as we have a few injuries and possibly some team-drama going on.

I expect to see:
Gunn
Valery – Bednarek – Vestergaard – Danso – Hojbjerg
JWP – Romeu
Adams – Ings – Boufal​

GenericRedditUser01: I'd like to see (but we definitely won't get) in a 433:

Gunn

Valery Danso Bednarek Bertrand
Romeu
JWP Højbjerg
Boufal Ings Adams

(I would have had Redmond on the wing instead of Ings, but he is injured).

ClausTheDrunkard: Gunn, Valery, Yoshi, Bednarek, Bertrand, Hojbjerg, Prowse, Djenepo, Boufal, Ings, Adams.

Q11: Finally, your predictions for the match?

karoz: We play well but defense feck ups and poor finishing see united take the away win

MyoMike: Hope for the best, expect the worst, and predict a 2 – 1 close win because if you can’t have hope for your predictions at least, then you’re doomed.

GenericRedditUser01: 1-2 Man Utd.

ClausTheDrunkard: 1-1. People might say United are vulnerable but how many of them have seen our defending!

saintsbynumbers: 2-0 to you, a lot of our first team played midweek and your defence is better than our attack.

Raw

For some reason I thought they'd be more confident about their chances against us. Keep up the good work!

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Thanks @Damien You must be sick of hearing all the praise by now, so this will be my last time saying how great these are. By far my most favorite threads in the football forum.

Southampton fans seem reasonable and self-aware. These answers stood out:
GenericRedditUser01: Our biggest problem at the moment is getting rid of terrible players.
ClausTheDrunkard: Woodward would be stupid enough to fall for it.
saintsbynumbers: Not that well.

United58

This is always a really interesting read :) Hopefully Obafemi kicks on this season. Hate seeing none of these oppo fans ever fearing us :(

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't think there is single opposition fan out there who genuinely believes we will finish in the top four. Not sure how I feel about that.

Always a good read Damien, thanks again.

Minkaro

I actually snorted at the line about Lemina passing to ball boys.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Always enjoy reading these, I've noticed pretty much everyone so far thinks we're finishing out side of the top four this season. Makes me realise how blinkered I am in my confidence.

stu_1992

Yeah it's definitely been a trend through these threads so far that we're not particularly rated by others. I think the vast majority have had us outside the top 4 and there's certainly been some very optimistic score predictions too,which is fair seeing we got done by Palace last week so why not think that? Just hope we can prove a few of them wrong as the season pans out...

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Nice read, hope we get more these.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nice work @Damien

Questions for Leicester:

How do you feel about the Maguire transfer in terms of value for money for both parties and how do you think he will do at United? What kind of player is his replacement Soyuncu?

There are already rumours about James Maddison to Utd. How highly do you rate him and what fee would you be happy with if that did happen?

How have things been since the league win? Has it been easy to go back to mid-table or now you've tasted that high is it a bit more difficult?

What's Jonny Evans been like for you? We always liked him at Utd but he kept getting little injuries that would keep him out for a while and eventually his form dipped.

Are there any players in the youth team to look out for? Who are you most excited about?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
@Damien

Question for Leicester fans:

How do you feel about the Rodgers appointment? He had Liverpool playing some decent football, but overall his time there probably wouldn't be classified as a success (2013-14 notwithstanding when Suarez tore up the league). Are you confident he can lead Leicester into the Top 6?

Dread Devil

Really enjoying these Damien.

It’s great to read how other supporters see us. It’s interesting that the other fans don’t rate our chances at top 4 and quite often quote Ole’s inexperience as the reason.

RedDevilRoshi

@Damien

When the Maguire to Utd rumours began to grow and it pretty seemed like a matter of time he was going to become a Utd player, there was talk of you guys lining up either Lewis Dunk from Brighton or James Tarkowski from Burnley as Maguire’s replacement. Neither of those moves materialised and you seem to have put a lot of faith in Soyuncu to partner Jonny Evans at the back. Do you think that is a risk that you did not purchase a replacement or is Soyuncu really that good to step up as first choice next to Evans?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
@Damien

When the Maguire to Utd rumours began to grow and it pretty seemed like a matter of time he was going to become a Utd player, there was talk of you guys lining up either Lewis Dunk from Brighton or James Tarkowski from Burnley as Maguire’s replacement. Neither of those moves materialised and you seem to have put a lot of faith in Soyuncu to partner Jonny Evans at the back. Do you think that is a risk that you did not purchase a replacement or is Soyuncu really that good to step up as first choice next to Evans?
Thanks. Will put the second bit of @Solius' first question at the end of that as well. "What kind of player is his replacement Soyuncu?"