Ask The Opposition: Tottenham Hotspur (H) - Premier League

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hi all. I know we literally have a game in an hour against a completely different team but:

A - We already did Brighton
B - I'm away rest of the week so this is the only chance I'll get to post this.

I asked some Spurs fans questions in the lead up to the game on Sunday, here are their responses!

How would you rate your transfer window so far? Expecting any signings in the final week?

ImN0superman: A solid 8 thus far (with the potential for a 10). We've made a good attempt to plug some of our deficiencies from last season with Hojberg (PEH) coming in to act as our defensive shield in midfield, Doherty and Reguilon coming in to add additional quality to our fullback positions, Joe Hart for better or worse freeing up an foreign squad slot through being home-grown and ofcourse Gareth coming home to hopefully provide that star quality.

All of the above helps us play more variant formations throughout the season (433, 343, 3421 etc) helping us adapt in situations where our usual 4231 wasn't able to break down teams sitting deep inviting pressure

It also importantly helps us unlock the potential of players like Ndombele which we're already starting to see through glimpses this season

We haven't (yet) addressed the glaring issue of no backup for Harry.... which has been a big problem since Llorente left. If we can sort that... and bring in a new CB (Skriniar would be the ideal)... then it will have been one the greatest transfer windows i've witnessed.

ResponsibleZucchini4: Signing 2 attacking full-backs and a pretty great CDM has really showed Mourinho and Levy's commitment to fixing our issues with defence while also helping to support our attacks. would rate it 7.5/10. if we do sign a backup striker & Skriniar during the final week then it will be 10/10

theManFromGinger: So far, I rate this window an 8/10. We've built up depth at positions that needed it (LB, RB, DM). We brought our boy Bale home. And we've also signed a few youth kids that've been rated fairly high. The only thing missing is a back-up ST. Once one is signed, this window turns into a perfect 10/10.

dame_sansmerci: Window going VERY well so far, as I think all of them apart from Hart go straight into the first 11. But if we don't get a second striker that could be disastrous...

minius: 6/10 because as yet we don't have a backup striker. It is REALLY important that we do. A striker, even a mediocre one, would push the score up to 9/10, with all necessary positions satisfactorily addressed. Potentially the best window in a long while.

What were your views on the All or Nothing documentary? Personally I thought it glossed over a lot of things but was still quite interesting. Did it change your opinions on any of the players/staff?

tactical_laziness: Nah it was a PR fluff piece really. I was surprised so many fans of other teams enjoyed it because it was pretty tame, but thats the pull of Jose I guess.

theManFromGinger: I loved the AoN doc. I thought it was very well done, and gave a good insight into the club as a whole. It really allowed for the personalities of Mou and some others to shine through. However, as you said, it glossed over A LOT. Would've loved to see more dealings with Eriksen, more Tanguy stuff, maybe even a remembrance of sorts to Serge's brother's passing, etc. All in all, good entertainment though.

Own_Rain8243: I didn't like it. The first few episodes were quite interesting but I found it too boring after a while when it kept glossing over the uncountable number of feckups in favour of 1-2 bright points. Didn't bother watching the last set of episodes.

mrgadd4: All style and no substance. It's very 'in house' if that makes sense. Still, I enjoyed seeing behind the scenes and it's made me love every player featured a little bit more, especially Tanganga and Winks.

There has obviously been plenty of negativity throughout Jose's career but what would you say is the most positive thing he has brought to Spurs, and also your thoughts on him in general/Poch being sacked?

Millzy104: The most positive thing about Jose, is Jose himself. We would struggle to attract the players we have and keep some of them and been in Europa league without him. I know he gets a lot of shit but I do believe he is giving his all to us and if we can’t win something with him then we may aswell give up ( I’m not a fan of the style of football and some of the man management.

ResponsibleZucchini4: The fact that he works really hard on fixing the team's mentality to always give a fight. Previously, you can see that in individual players but now it's starting to show in the team's identity. I think it was time for Poch to go and that Mourinho is a great replacement. I think both Poch and the players weren't just working as well together anymore and a change was needed.

dame_sansmerci: I think Poch HAD to go, and he actually hung on too long in the end - i'd have sacked him after Brighton. I'm still out on whether Jose is the right replacement, but i'm warily optimistic based on what i've seen so far. Levy is backing him in the transfer market, the players get on well with him and Jose himself seems a lot happier and more motivated than he did at Man Utd. This might seem a bit left-field, but the most positive thing he's done since he came in is to change Poch's diabolical youth loan policy, which meant promising youngsters stagnating with no game time. We have players like Skipp and Parrott out on loans now, which should be good for them, and good for our future.

theManFromGinger: I believe the most positive aspect of Jose that he's brought to the club is his mentality. He is a winner, regardless of what anyone says. He knows what it takes to win and if the players get fully behind him, we will finally win a trophy or two, without a doubt in my mind. As for Poch being sacked, I thought it was time. 5+ years without any silverware, and he clearly lost his passion, as well as the locker room. He got us to the CL Final, but that's it. There was nothing to warrant him staying. It's much appreciated what he did for us; he helped bring us to a new level and all the credit to him for that, but it was time to move on.

Are you worried about the financial implications stadium repayments with no fans? What is the situation there?

mrgadd4: I don't worry about the club's finances at all, that's literally someone else's job. Levy's always been careful, our outlay on transfers suggests we're okay.

minimus_: Hard to say. No really something for us to worry about.

ImN0Superman: Yes

What are your thoughts on Dele Alli at the moment? In the documentary he was criticised for being lazy in training and seems Mourinho is a bit fed up with him.

Zyaru: Quite frankly I want him gone. I love him, but he doesn't really seem to care about the club anymore. I want players that will die for the shirt, despite their weaker performances, Lucas and Lamela are Spurs through and through, not sure you can say that about Dele.

5hatnersbassoon: Great talent but has been average for last 2 seasons. Glimpses of brilliance but not quite clicking

ResponsibleZucchini4: I think that comment is so overused and overexaggerated. Mourinho is of course comparing him to people like Kane and Son but for people to keep on making it sound like he doesn't train at all is unfair to Dele. Ndombele struggled last year too and now is winning over fans and the gaffer. Dele needs to show effort or go on a loan to retain his form.

Own_Rain8243: Extremely disappointed. He had the potential to be a real superstar, completely pissed it away. Think the time is right for him to go, much as I hate to say it.

tactical_laziness: You'll get lots of different answers here. I'm not sure really, he hasn't performed amazingly well for a long time, but having that expectation is pretty wild. He may not be the first choice of player to sell obviously, but he is the most valuable of those that may be expendable.

Are there any exciting youth players you hope will break through this season?

theManFromGinger: I feel as though there aren't any that will "break through" this season, but there's a few that will get a few games here and there. It'll be interesting to see the likes of Harvey White, Dennis Cirkin, and possibly Jack Clarke get some game time and show some potential.

tactical_laziness: I'm really looking forward to Cirkin, personally. Jose seems to really like him and he looked sharp in pre season

Zyaru: I'm hoping Dennis Cirkin, he seems like a really good talent.

cloudsandshit: Cirkin, Skipp (on loan), Tanganga abit more i guess, Parrott (on loan)

How do you think your season will go? How do you think Utd's season will go?

minimus_: A lot will depend on injuries given the fixture pile up. Bale could be a decisive factor as the squad lacks goalscorers outside Kane and Son. Son has already gone down injured, placing the burden on Kane as our lone striker. We saw what happened last year when the pair were injured concurrently and it wasn't pretty

dame_sansmerci: I have absolutely no clue for us! Spurs just radiate chaotic energy. For you, i'll be surprised if Ole lasts the season - he just doesn't seem to be able to imprint any kind of ideas or ethos on your team. You might end up with a mirror image of our last season, with Poch coming into rescue you...

Millzy104: I think you will finish top 6 but not convinced if I’m honest but I’m sure if you carry on your Special relationship with Refs and VAR you’ll be ok. I’m not convinced by OGS though, if you had a top manager you would be scary and I think it hurts you when it come to recruitment, United’s only real pull in 2020 is financial and I don’t think this generation has the thoughts of “ you should be privileged to play for United” any more.

If you could take one player from Utd who would you pick?

mrgadd4: Rashford

ImN0Superman: Mason Greenwood. It would be fantastic to have him and Kane in the same team not on to resolve our striker woes... but also to help develop him for England for years to come.

minimus_: To improve Spurs, Greenwood. Huge goalscoring talent in a position where we have plenty of players but who struggle to score. But I would take Fernandes moreso to deprive you of him than for our gain. Without Fernandes I'd back us to finish ahead of you; with him it's more even.

Own_Rain8243: Fernandes without a doubt. Were so close to signing him. Got GLC in his place though, so not complaining.

Predictions for the game?

nivnart: 10-0 Sissoko hattrick of hattricks

minimus_: You have a good record against us of late so I'm predicting another United win. 2-1. Maybe Regulion starts and pockets your RW again.

Zyaru: Have to be confident and say we'll win 3-1

ImN0Superman: The loss of Son is big for us... he's been on fire scoring and assisting thus far this season.

Still hopeful and will go for 1-2 us.

Thanks to all the Spurs fans who took the time to reply!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bumping for visibility since I did post this right before a completely different game :)

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Great work again mate, think this will be a close run game with the way spurs play and our form of late.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Interesting for people to choose Greenwood over everyone. Unsurprising really, but interesting it's such a young player, and perhaps a little damning of our senior quality.