Gaming Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought I’d use this as one of my first games to try and get into the PS5. Didn’t realise it was so fecking huge. I love the Viking setting but feck me.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I thought I’d use this as one of my first games to try and get into the PS5. Didn’t realise it was so fecking huge. I love the Viking setting but feck me.
Aye, it's stupid big :lol: I wish I'd played it as I watching the Vikings TV show.

It's definitely a game you can play in patches imo, while concentrating on another game as your main game

saik

How did people get past that reach settlement level 5 thing? I'm stuck there and it's such a fecking grind to get those materials to upgrade the settlement.

I find the game to be very boring. Have stopped playing it long ago because of the grind and just did a 2nd playthrough of Ghost of Tsushima instead.

saik

How does it compare to Odyssey size wise? I found that overwhelmingly big.
Not sure how big because I haven't played Odyssey but I would say it's similarly big if not more. Lots of grinding with settlements and raids and stuff.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
I've not finished this yet, but if you're into all things about Vikings etc. please please check out this Anime. It's called Vinland Saga. If you like Game of Thrones/Attack on Titan you'll love this.

Watched 8 episodes in 1 go so far, has some nice historical references too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10233448/?ref_=tt_urv

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm around 10 hours into this and while I've enjoyed the novelty of next genesque visuals and beautiful world, the actual game is starting to feel pointless like all AC games do. I think it's the whole possibility of ending up as an endless list of generic roles which it will, that's telling me to stop now!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How does it compare to Odyssey size wise? I found that overwhelmingly big.
Haven't played that one but overwhelming is the right word. I love big games but this is too big. It's fine if you're a single person with no life but when you have a job and social life it will take you about a month to complete without playing any other game. :lol:

largelyworried

Im enjoying this because its exactly what I need at the mo. Work is uber stressful and in the evening I just want something braindead where I can run around collecting things and fighting with minimal challenge in some pretty scenery. I don't want something that practically has me doing research in my spare time like some of my Elden Ring runs.

Its plainly obvious I won't finish this game, its monstrously large and it forces you to do a lot of checklisting. If I get to halfway through the story, that'll be plenty.

Also the combat is pretty weak, the controls are poor, the skill tree is crap, the acting is wooden even for a video game, and the world events are absurdly simplistic. One of them was literally bringing back an escaped horse that was stood 10 metres away.

But yeah, sometimes a 7 out of 10 game is fine.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Im enjoying this because its exactly what I need at the mo. Work is uber stressful and in the evening I just want something braindead where I can run around collecting things and fighting with minimal challenge in some pretty scenery. I don't want something that practically has me doing research in my spare time like some of my Elden Ring runs.

Its plainly obvious I won't finish this game, its monstrously large and it forces you to do a lot of checklisting. If I get to halfway through the story, that'll be plenty.

Also the combat is pretty weak, the controls are poor, the skill tree is crap, the acting is wooden even for a video game, and the world events are absurdly simplistic. One of them was literally bringing back an escaped horse that was stood 10 metres away.

But yeah, sometimes a 7 out of 10 game is fine.
These are all reasons too why I don't understand how nobody on the dev team thought "we've made this game a bit too big haven't we?" - Half the world events aren't needed and the combat being so poor means you have little to retain yourself to such a massive game.

Iron Stove

I managed 50 hours, but after Odyssey I already felt so burnt out on the formula. I've been thinking that I will get back to it one day, but I think it might not happen. If they managed to cut some bloat out it could have been cool, but they really need to shake things up for the next one at this point. Less really is more sometimes.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I managed 50 hours, but after Odyssey I already felt so burnt out on the formula. I've been thinking that I will get back to it one day, but I think it might not happen. If they managed to cut some bloat out it could have been cool, but they really need to shake things up for the next one at this point. Less really is more sometimes.
In the exact same boat.

Hoof the ball

So, from what I'm hearing from those that are close to genuine sources, the next one is Assassin's Creed: Rift, and takes place in Baghdad. The story is based around Basim, so an actual Assassin for once ha! The biggest news is that instead of being vastly open world, it's going to be more classical AC in that most of the map is going to be one or two large cities with focus on parkour and stealth mechanics.

amolbhatia50k

Thinking of giving up on this. It's not that I've disliked but just the thought of 50/80 hours of this level of combat mechanics and writing sounds awful. On the other hand I am liking the light world events and the lovely visuals

saik

Thinking of giving up on this. It's not that I've disliked but just the thought of 50/80 hours of this level of combat mechanics and writing sounds awful. On the other hand I am liking the light world events and the lovely visuals
Not sure if you already played it but Ghost of Tsushima is worth a try. Absolutely beautiful world and the combat is great too.

AaronRedDevil

I've not finished this yet, but if you're into all things about Vikings etc. please please check out this Anime. It's called Vinland Saga. If you like Game of Thrones/Attack on Titan you'll love this.

Watched 8 episodes in 1 go so far, has some nice historical references too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10233448/?ref_=tt_urv
Watching that last few days. Really good. Its like the Northman but done way better.

sport2793

It's a big game but Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West both felt even bigger. Obviously with the DLCs AC Valhalla catches up but I imagine both Elden Ring and HFW will have their own DLCs too.

largelyworried

It's a big game but Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West both felt even bigger. Obviously with the DLCs AC Valhalla catches up but I imagine both Elden Ring and HFW will have their own DLCs too.
ACV is much larger than either of those games, check out this vid where someone used software to calculate the playable areas.

That said, having played Days Gone and really enjoyed a much smaller open world, I think that size isnt just irrelevant though, I actually think overly large worlds are a definite bad thing. Elden Ring didn't have enough ideas to fill its world, and ACV is stuffed full of nonsense just to put dots on the map. Both would have been better smaller.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Valhalla I would say is considerably bigger than Horizon and a fair bit larger than ER

Played (and sadly platinumed cos im an idiot) all 3

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is much, much bigger than either of those.

Ainu

That said, having played Days Gone and really enjoyed a much smaller open world, I think that size isnt just irrelevant though, I actually think overly large worlds are a definite bad thing. Elden Ring didn't have enough ideas to fill its world, and ACV is stuffed full of nonsense just to put dots on the map. Both would have been better smaller.
Yes, without question. There are very few, if any, games that I can think of where a ridiculously large world doesn't drag the experience down, outside of stuff like Flight Sim. Back in the day, after playing GTA 3, we all dreamed of bigger and better game worlds but I feel the limit was reached a long time ago and since then, it's just been mindless icon hunting and padding.

Give me a modest game world, preferably not even open-world, that's heavily curated and filled with a limited amount of meaningful content any day of the week.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes, without question. There are very few, if any, games that I can think of where a ridiculously large world doesn't drag the experience down, outside of stuff like Flight Sim. Back in the day, after playing GTA 3, we all dreamed of bigger and better game worlds but I feel the limit was reached a long time ago and since then, it's just been mindless icon hunting and padding.

Give me a modest game world, preferably not even open-world, that's heavily curated and filled with a limited amount of meaningful content any day of the week.
I don't know if any of you played "Just Cause"; those games have big maps but basically the same pattern repeated over and over again with a few environmental differences

amolbhatia50k

I'm gaming after a grueling 2 weeks of shit work and hence resumed this on my holiday. But I think I'm done with it already. It's just too generic, basic and mediocre at far too many things. Combat just seems off. The writing is bang average. And I can't think of any mechanism or idea that's either original or well executed. I was playing it for the sexy Ps5 visuals but I've never really been someone who can get hooked on just that. At least Odysse bored me after 15 hours. This one has outdone that in how easily it's lost me.

Comparing it to the other game I'm playing - Miles Morales and its laughable how different the two experiences are.

amolbhatia50k

Red Dead 2 and especially the Witcher 3 stand out. But it only works if the writing is great which those two have.

AC's writing is school project level. These games have no filler content. They are filler content.

Hamnat

They are still releasing content for it like the game wasn't big enough. Just released that Forgotten Saga game mode

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Im actually enjoying my time with Valhalla. The setting is much more appealing to me than Oddysey was/is.

I'm really looking forward to finishing the main arc and playing the DLC that takes place in Ireland.

amolbhatia50k

Im actually enjoying my time with Valhalla. The setting is much more appealing to me than Oddysey was/is.

I'm really looking forward to finishing the main arc and playing the DLC that takes place in Ireland.
Which arc have you reached? I've read there are 21 or so :eek:

It's all the talk of the bloat that's put me off. Thinking of giving it one more shot. I'm on the third place to form an alliance.

I agree with the setting. More gritty and less cartooney than previous games of the series. Although it makes me chuckle how much they're inspired by Witcher 3 (the swamps look straight out of that game as often does the music) and RDR2 as well (some missions).

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Which arc have you reached? I've read there are 21 or so :eek:

It's all the talk of the bloat that's put me off. Thinking of giving it one more shot. I'm on the third place to form an alliance.

I agree with the setting. More gritty and less cartooney than previous games of the series. Although it makes me chuckle how much they're inspired by Witcher 3 (the swamps look straight out of that game as often does the music) and RDR2 as well (some missions).
I'm near the end I believe. I'm sticking solely to the main story and the odd raid to upgrade certain parts of stronghold.

I just finished Jorvik which is level 160 (or 190)?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've been playing it in a way that I do everything in a county and then move on which makes me ridiculously OP when moving to the next area but I don't have any interest in completing the main story and then running around to do a bit of fishing or allowing a man to cry over his fallen comrades so they've handled that aspect poorly.

stretford_oslo

I’ve played through all of Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, and to me Valhalla was the far least enjoyable. Really loved Odyssey though, might have to complete it for a 2nd time soon.

ShoePolish

In case someone is eligible and have missed it, if you've got amazon prime, you can link it to Ubisoft account through twitch and claim a free AC:Origins for PC.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Giving this a go. Not enjoying it as much as I thought I might. I really liked Odessey. I think I might just stick to the playing the main story line without completing all the side quests. I think I sank about 70 hours into Odessey. Hoping I can get finish this in half the time.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Giving this a go. Not enjoying it as much as I thought I might. I really liked Odessey. I think I might just stick to the playing the main story line without completing all the side quests. I think I sank about 70 hours into Odessey. Hoping I can get finish this in half the time.
I didn't like it at the start either but ended up enjoying it, it probably is too large with all the side stuff too but so is odyssey imo (I'm playing that now and it feels more bloated than I remember Valhalla being).

I played Valhalla while watching vikings tv show so thought it was great.. "it's him! From the show!" Basically :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't like it at the start either but ended up enjoying it, it probably is too large with all the side stuff too but so is odyssey imo (I'm playing that now and it feels more bloated than I remember Valhalla being).

I played Valhalla while watching vikings tv show so thought it was great.. "it's him! From the show!" Basically :lol:
My biggest problem with Odessey was that you’re almost forced to do the most of the quests because if you don’t then at some point you’ll be too weak to continue the story. You’ll be at level 18 and be tasked to go do something that requires level 24 and so on, so you end up spending ages looking for side quests to do you almost forget where you were in the story. I did enjoy it a lot though.

With Valhalla, it could just be the story I find boring. I’m already at the point in the story where I’m leaving Norway and I’m barely 5 hours in.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
My biggest problem with Odessey was that you’re almost forced to do the most of the quests because if you don’t then at some point you’ll be too weak to continue the story. You’ll be at level 18 and be tasked to go do something that requires level 24 and so on, so you end up spending ages looking for side quests to do you almost forget where you were in the story. I did enjoy it a lot though.

With Valhalla, it could just be the story I find boring. I’m already at the point in the story where I’m leaving Norway and I’m barely 5 hours in.
Yeah it's boring AF upto that point tbh, it gets much better in about another 5 hours when you've grown into England a bit.

saik

Yeah it's boring AF upto that point tbh, it gets much better in about another 5 hours when you've grown into England a bit.
I've actually stopped playing this game after coming into England. Found it way too grindy with all that shit about collecting materials to grow your settlement. And it's always the same thing to collect materials. Go and raid some place. Fecking bored after 3 or 4 times.

amolbhatia50k

I've actually stopped playing this game after coming into England. Found it way too grindy with all that shit about collecting materials to grow your settlement. And it's always the same thing to collect materials. Go and raid some place. Fecking bored after 3 or 4 times.
I gave up after the first two regions in England. It’s the same issue every time with Assasins Creed - if you have a game that vast you’re going to have to have something of quality to hook me in. The writing is generic bland nonsense and the gameplay has always been weak. So aside from my first 5 hours of playing it due to the shiny Ps5 graphics (which was brand new at the time) I couldn’t see any reason to continue playing. Give me a tight engaging 10 hour game any day over this at its heart mmo but wannabe Witcher series.

saik

I gave up after the first two regions in England. It’s the same issue every time with Assasins Creed - if you have a game that vast you’re going to have to have something of quality to hook me in. The writing is generic bland nonsense and the gameplay has always been weak. So aside from my first 5 hours of playing it due to the shiny Ps5 graphics (which was brand new at the time) I couldn’t see any reason to continue playing. Give me a tight engaging 10 hour game any day over this at its heart mmo but wannabe Witcher series.
So true. They tried so hard to be like the Witcher 3. That board game or chasing tattoos or even "Flyting", none of them are remotely as good as Gwent. They are just.....there. I might try to actually finish this game sometime this year but only because there are no games releasing this year that interest me. :lol: