Gaming Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So I'm now 7 hours in and I can tell that its going to be a 100+ hour game.

Story is entertaining, stealth or fighting is fluid as usual. No complaints from me.
Hope it's somewhat shorter than odyssey but a bit longer than origins. Origins was perfect length for me, whereas Odyssey was great but a bit too long (couldn't get through the DLC as I was just exhausted from the game by the end, despite enjoying it).

el3mel

Played the first 3 hours. Pretty slow start so far, but I like that the world is open for you quickly to explore.

Combat has really a weird feeling for it though? Not sure how to describe it, but I'm struggling to get the hang of it.

Irwin99

I've watched a few people play it for a few hours on Twitch and it does look very generic sadly. Seems to be getting some (unfair?) negative comparisons with GoT going by the comments.

el3mel

I also encountered some annoying bugs on PS4 version.

In one side quest after I finished I should speak to the quest giver to finish it but the prompt to do that refused to appear! Reloading from checkpoint didn't help. Had to load an older autosave file and repeat it for it to work.

Audio seems to have weird bugs? Conversations suddenly stop midway, with lips still moving then then they reusme talking, ending up in lines getting overlapped, and the other character starts speaking while the other still didn't finish his sentence. Happened for me twice so far.

This game needs some polishing.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I also encountered some annoying bugs on PS4 version.

In one side quest after I finished I should speak to the quest giver to finish it but the prompt to do that refused to appear! Reloading from checkpoint didn't help. Had to load an older autosave file and repeat it for it to work.

Audio seems have weird bugs? Conversations suddenly stop midway, with lips still moving then then they reusme talking, ending up in lines getting overlapped, and the other character starts speaking while the other still didn't finish his sentence. Happened for me twice so far.

This game needs some polishing.
I was so tempted to make this the first AC game in many years to pick up shortly after launch (Think I actually only did that for AC2).. You just helped me decide to wait a while this time around again too. Reviews do look more favorable than expected.

el3mel

I was so tempted to make this the first AC game in many years to pick up shortly after launch (Think I actually only did that for AC2).. You just helped me decide to wait a while this time around again too. Reviews do look more favorable than expected.
Still early to judge the gameplay for me as I have only played 3 hours. These weird bugs I'm sure will be solved by the next few patching, I'm not worried.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
From what I've seen fighting is weightier than Odyssey and Origins.
It is weightier but it’s just a case of getting used to it. Although I am using a hammer too so maybe it will feel quicker when I unlock some daggers. My only critique which others have said too would be the camera is zoomed out to far During fight scenes it just needs to be zoomed in a little.

Hope it's somewhat shorter than odyssey but a bit longer than origins. Origins was perfect length for me, whereas Odyssey was great but a bit too long (couldn't get through the DLC as I was just exhausted from the game by the end, despite enjoying it).
it would only be a 100+ hours if you do every side quest and collectable, if you focus on the story it won’t be that length. It’ll be a long game for me as I’ll be trying to platinum trophy it. 7 hours in and I’ve not even left Norway yet as I’m tidying up all possible side missions and collectables before I head off to the England side of the game.

macheda14

One of the more respected reviewers about. ACG wasn't too keen either.
It’s definitely a taste thing, some people don’t like the 100 hour + grind of these new style of AC, some absolutely love it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s pretty good so far. It “borrows” well from others — the settlement stuff from Red Dead 2; the stories on the boat from God of War etc.

They’ve done well to remove the side quests spam — they’re now sort of ‘events’ on the map you can go to whenever you want, and they’re all different in their pacing and length. No more massive fetch quest sidequests.

Redplane

It’s definitely a taste thing, some people don’t like the 100 hour + grind of these new style of AC, some absolutely love it.
Yeah seems to me (without having played Valhalla) that if someone liked Odyssey and Origins that they ll probably like this one. The setting probably appeals to many more already - and at least judging by some other reviews it sounds like the town building aspect adds a nice dimension to it. I do understand why folks didn't like the prior two though if they are AC purists - having played just about every AC except for Unity (clunky) and Rogue (seemed to be too similar to Black Flag).

evil_geko

One of the more respected reviewers about. ACG wasn't too keen either.
He wasn't too keen, but ACG had much more constructive review than SkillUp.

SkillUp shitted on Odyssey and Origins too, which lots of people liked.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He wasn't too keen, but ACG had much more constructive review than SkillUp.
Yeah ACG is always more constructive and diligent in his reviews but Skill up is on point for most reviews in his own way.

el3mel

I trust Skill Up 100%, the most out of any Youtube reviewer.

But I'm still too early in the game to form a solid opinion on it and argue if he's right or not.

dannyrhinos89

I usually watch him but He's talking bollocks. Thats a pretty poor review tbh.

Powerpyx that does trophy guides said if you dont do any side missions (apart from story driven ones) and or collectables the games main story can be completed in 40 hours.

Redplane

Considering how often user reviews and critics reviews seem to differ - not just for videogames - I couldn't care less about most of their opinions. YouTube reviewers especially are there to generate clicks and ad revenue for themselves. What better way than to give it an edgy title? You know what they say about opinions and arseholes.

Irwin99

Off topic a bit and not really all that important considering it's a work of entertainment rather than anything else but what is the consensus about female viking warriors/shield maidens and did they actually fight in wars? I have no doubt the women were exceptionally tough (much like some other warrior cultures like the Spartans, Mongolians and Scythians who all respected tough women) but I'm just always curious to know if people believe they fought in battles. Some TV shows go down this route but i've not read enough about the vikings.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Immediately blown away by the lighting in Assassin’s Creed so far. Not even sure this has ray tracing? Looks stunning though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Considering how often user reviews and critics reviews seem to differ - not just for videogames - I couldn't care less about most of their opinions. YouTube reviewers especially are there to generate clicks and ad revenue for themselves. What better way than to give it an edgy title? You know what they say about opinions and arseholes.
There was that article recently saying how difficult it was to get set up. What a load of shite.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Enjoying this plenty so far. Gonna be fun getting stuck into settlements and the RPG side of it.

The combat is as good as any game. Feels a bit Witchery, but better in my opinion.

They need to improve how you hit the water though. It’s like landing in a pile of bricks.

Last edited:

el3mel

The game actually mentions COVID as an ongoing pandemic in its world, if you check the lap whenever you go out of the animus. Pretty funny easter egg.

dannyrhinos89

Enjoying this plenty so far. Gonna be fun getting stuck into settlements and the RPG side of it.

The combat is as good as any game. Feels a bit Witchery, but better in my opinion.

They need to improve how you hit the water though. It’s like landing in a pile of bricks.
Im going for that platinum like I did in odyssey so I'm fully committed to putting 100+ hours. I think you get the proper dive a little later on.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Was just about to link this :lol:
I really like Skill up for his decent reviews. He gives honest opinions and actually spends time playing games so not to rush his opinion.

As for Ubisoft games, I think in general they're all bloated.
I've said it in here before but
AC: CLIMB TOWER OPEN AREA
DIVISION: FIND SAFE HOUSE OPEN AREA
FARCRY: FIND RADIO TOWER OPEN AREA

I mean, that part is fine, that they use the same sort of concept per game.
The issue with me is, most of their game has around 8-12 actual missions, then padded out with 3 different side missions that are just copy and pasted around the map around 12 time each.

They get really tedious and I don't know how they actually get away with it year on year.
I actually love the concept of Ubi games. Egypt, Rome, Vikings, Pirates, Pandemic etc
They're one of a few companies that try and go for what would be a great plot, yet fill it with boring repeated missions.
The AC series should be one I absolutely love. I love Pirates, Romans and so on, but the games for me just don't work in general which is a real shame. This should be my all time favourite series, yet I don't even pick them up anymore

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Anyone playing this on original ps4 and find the framerate a bit choppy?

Bosws87

Was just about to link this :lol:
I really like Skill up for his decent reviews. He gives honest opinions and actually spends time playing games so not to rush his opinion.

As for Ubisoft games, I think in general they're all bloated.
I've said it in here before but
AC: CLIMB TOWER OPEN AREA
DIVISION: FIND SAFE HOUSE OPEN AREA
FARCRY: FIND RADIO TOWER OPEN AREA

I mean, that part is fine, that they use the same sort of concept per game.
The issue with me is, most of their game has around 8-12 actual missions, then padded out with 3 different side missions that are just copy and pasted around the map around 12 time each.

They get really tedious and I don't know how they actually get away with it year on year.
I actually love the concept of Ubi games. Egypt, Rome, Vikings, Pirates, Pandemic etc
They're one of a few companies that try and go for what would be a great plot, yet fill it with boring repeated missions.
The AC series should be one I absolutely love. I love Pirates, Romans and so on, but the games for me just don't work in general which is a real shame. This should be my all time favourite series, yet I don't even pick them up anymore
All ubisoft games are terrible, i couldn't tell you the last top class ubisoft game its been that long, i wish the games industry didn't suffer from great rewards for mediocrity, but Fifa, COD and Assasins Creed keep churning out decent sales with very little change apart from a reskin.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
All ubisoft games are terrible, i couldn't tell you the last top class ubisoft game its been that long, i wish the games industry didn't suffer from great rewards for mediocrity, but Fifa, COD and Assasins Creed keep churning out decent sales with very little change apart from a reskin.
This Assassin’s Creed is very different, at least for someone who hasn’t played many of the newer ones, and cod has Warzone now, while being the best cod since the original Modern Warfare. It may not be ‘cool’ in the ‘gaming scene’ to like it but it’s a great game, albeit with plenty of flaws.

dannyrhinos89

What difficulty are you on? Do you feel it offers any challenge?
just regular and yes some of the more powerful enemies can be tricky to take down If you’re outnumbered but in general it’s ok. I’ve died more times through my own stupidity Tbh.

dannyrhinos89

watch this for all those that say stealth is no longer an option. This guy is brilliant at this stuff.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

watch this for all those that say stealth is no longer an option. This guy is brilliant at this stuff.
Looks pretty good, I'm gonna pick this up at some stage but I have to wait for the PS5. Hopefully by that stage they have patched some more of the bugs.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just found out your settlement is called Ravensthorpe? Which is literally the little village next to where I live that's basically full of takeaways, barbers and a Home Bargains.

Hopefully I can replicate this in the game?

Redplane

Just found out your settlement is called Ravensthorpe? Which is literally the little village next to where I live that's basically full of takeaways, barbers and a Home Bargains.

Hopefully I can replicate this in the game?
Just pretend the one in the game is the the badass version of the town before it turned into a modern dud where people are worried about their hair beyond growing it long, and home bargains arent looted spoils from a raid.

dannyrhinos89

Looks pretty good, I'm gonna pick this up at some stage but I have to wait for the PS5. Hopefully by that stage they have patched some more of the bugs.
I've been lucky I think as I’ve only encountered 1 bug with the voices in which the talk over each other but it hasnt happened in ages so I don’t know if they’ve addressed it already. I would imagine it’ll be fine though on PS5.

Now i'm sold, that was fecking awesome. Very impressed with the sound design as well.
Remember this guy makes it looks easy though.

I’ve been going through a few of his vids when I’m bored and he’s very good at what he does. I honestly couldn’t plan or have the reactions he does to pull of things like this. Yes the sound is very good, some people slated the voice acting but it’s fine I do think the girl is the way to go though her voice is perfect so I’d recommend choosing her over the man but it’s your choice.