Gaming Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

evil_geko

I really hope they turn down the "open worldness" and RPG direction they went recently, I hated Origins and Odyssey, very pretty games but too big and filled with boring repetitive side quests. They both burnt me out and couldn't finish either of them. They were "Assassin's Creed" only in name.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I really hope they turn down the "open worldness", I hated Origins and Odyssey, very pretty games but too big and filled with boring repetitive side quests. They were "Assassin's Creed" only in name, RPG direction is a wrong one for AC.
Yeah the newer games shouldn't be part of the AC series imo, should've been a new series, or each a stand alone game.

I much prefer the old ACs for the stealth and actually being an assassin.

These are just RPGs now. That's not a bad thing, but it really doesn't fit with the originals at all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Odyssey was just too massive for me... Sank god knows how many hours into it then just gave up.

Would love for this to be a tighter experience, not holding my breath though, especially considering the theme and the fact that England and Scandinavia will be present.

Cool theme though, Ragnar better turn up at some point.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
That photoshop video was insane. Went for 8 hours to reveal the game.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Just watched the trailer - looks incredible! Have loved all of these - despite some of their flaws and needless to say am looking forward to this!

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla throws players axe-first into ninth-century England, an age of warring kingdoms and Viking conquest. As Eivor, a fierce Viking raider, you’ll lead your clan to build a new home amid England’s fractured dominions. Launching Holiday 2020 on PS5 and Xbox Series X, as well as PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Stadia, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will let you raid, conquer, and fight for glory in a mysterious, brutal new land.

In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, nearly every decision you make will have lasting effects throughout the world. Violence won’t be your only tactic for getting what you want; a silver tongue can be as effective as a steel sword when it comes to finding a home for your people. Shifting England’s balance of power and expanding your influence through diplomacy will likely make you more friends than brute force. Every political alliance you build, combat strategy you employ, and dialogue choice you make will alter your journey.

You wouldn’t be a Viking raider without raids, and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla lets you lead surprise longship attacks to pillage enemy territories for much-needed resources, or launch massive assaults against rival Saxon strongholds. Raids will be more action-packed and brutal than anything Assassin’s Creed has seen before, thanks to a visceral new combat system that lets you bash, dismember, and decapitate your foes. Eivor will be able to dual-wield axes, swords, and even shields against the greatest variety of enemy types ever seen in Assassin’s Creed. And if you want to mix it up, the return of the Hidden Blade allows Eivor to assassinate targets with deadly precision.

Playable as female or male, Eivor leads a clan of Norse people across the icy North Sea to flee Norway’s endless war and dwindling resources. If they hope to survive, they’ll have to build a new home in the hostile lands of England. There, you’ll provide for yourself and your people by constructing, customizing, and upgrading your settlement with new buildings like barracks, blacksmiths, and tattoo parlors, all while recruiting new members to grow your clan.
From Ubi's website.

gormless

Not a fan of the ships (though I did enjoy Black Flag). Probably give it a skip, until as others have said, they get a bit tighter. I loved Origins, but Odyssey felt to big, and similar to Origins, more of the same.

siw2007

This looks a really interesting historical period for them to build around. I will probably pick it up for the new PlayStation or Xbox at the end of the year.

Hope they deviate slightly away from the Origins model, though I liked it, it was way too big and got boring at times due to it never really ending and outstayed it’s welcome by a large margin. They tried to emulate the W3 formula but it lacked it’s charm and strong story telling that made it a success. Would prefer a blend between the old and new styles so it is still big but doesn’t overwhelm you in quests and activities you just can’t be bothered to do.

evil_geko

It just seems out of place....Vikings and assassins...even in that trailer, him getting out hidden blade was so out of place. They will just make another mediocre open world RPG with AC slapped on it I fear.

Just get back to the old formula and make a new IP if you want an open world RPG.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It just seems out of place....Vikings and assassins...even in that trailer, him getting out hidden blade was so out of place. They will just make another mediocre open world RPG with AC slapped on it I fear.

Just get back to the old formula and make a new IP if you want an open world RPG.
They're already scraping the barrel with locations. Next it'll be Assassin's Creed based in modern day Govan. Or they'll go back to the Ezio era for another romp.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
They're already scraping the barrel with locations. Next it'll be Assassin's Creed based in modern day Govan. Or they'll go back to the Ezio era for another romp.
Japan was the most logical choice, obviously why they didn't go there.

evil_geko

At least they are getting rid of levels....kinda.

But too much customization for your character that started in Odyssey and by reading this, same will be in new one, shouldn't be in AC imo, you lose the character identity. I love a good RPG, but not in the AC's.

Coxy

At least they are getting rid of levels....kinda.

But too much customization for your character that started in Odyssey and by reading this, same will be in new one, shouldn't be in AC imo, you lose the character identity. I love a good RPG, but not in the AC's.
Haven’t they just renamed levels to powers?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I really hope they turn down the "open worldness" and RPG direction they went recently, I hated Origins and Odyssey, very pretty games but too big and filled with boring repetitive side quests. They both burnt me out and couldn't finish either of them. They were "Assassin's Creed" only in name.
I bought Odyssey thinking, meh I like Rpgs, but it was just an extremely low quality Greece skin from the Witcher 3.

Stactix

Hmm, looking forward to this. I do hope the maps not as large as Odyssey though and I'm kinda hoping they don't make Alfred the bad guy.
In Odyssey I didn't like the grind, sometimes I just wanted to do a few main story missions but hated doing one and then needing to wait 10 levels and travel to the other side of the map to do it.
Bounty hunters were a chore on harder difficulties.
Some story missions were just 'complete this, that sidequest found in every area'

Certainly a good game, not close to a GOTY though.
Still need to delve into the DLC so may jump on and do that.

El-Manos

Odyssey had a lot of potential but the map was way too large and the requirement to level up for certain main missions was a big pain in the hole. Too many side quests too. Still haven't finished the bloody game. The trailer for Vikings looks fantastic but then again, AC trailers always do.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I thought of jumping back into the AC universe when I saw you could tour historical sites in Odyssey, but never got around to it.

SirAnderson

Had a shite experience personally with Odyssey and is the first of the games I wasn't arsed to finish. Still sitting on my pc even though I know I'm not going to even try to.
But WOW, love both of those videos! That cinematic trail's beautiful. Can't wait to play it and just hope it goes back to the levels I've experienced with the very first 3 games.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
You know what would be sick, either some mongol dynasty thing or an Islamic army vs crusaders storyline.

Hoof the ball

I guess I'm in the minority of those that really loves the huge, massive open-world map in both Origins and especially Odyssey. The exploration and the traveling all added tremendous value to the experience, but it all depends on the player. If you're the kind of person who likes a tightly-knit story within a relative dense map, then of course a vast and open world to explore isn't going to be your cup of tea.

After Valhalla, I hope that they cover the period of the Punic Wars between Rome and Carthage. I think that's a real winner of a time period, and especially because on either side you've Scipio Africanus and Hannibal Barca.

Hoof the ball

That someone is usually me. Still, I laid down 100 euro's for the turbo ultra colelectors edition and got bored after 10 minutes. I have problems.
:lol: 10 minutes! You're better off just watching the first part of someone's YouTube playthrough and figuring out whether not spending 100 euros is a wise option ha!

gulli_G

More details and I game screenshots, it is confirmed that gameplay will be shown on Thursday next week at Xbox Series X 3rd party games reveal

Hoof the ball

More details and I game screenshots, it is confirmed that gameplay will be shown on Thursday next week at Xbox Series X 3rd party games reveal
Blending and social stealth system back; plus a more complex stealth system. Something about being able to throw snow or dirt on yourself and camouflage. Sick.
Word is that 15 studios involved on this one; double the amount that worked on Odyssey.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
After AC2 i stopped playing these, picked it back up again last year and just completed Rogue, so still quite a few to catch up on. Probably won't play this for a few years at this rate :lol:.

Ainu

The two biggest issues I had with Odyssey were the dreadful writing and the disgusting amount of tedious busywork. Had it been a more compact experience with significantly less but more meaningful content, it could actually have been a great game. Instead, they throw an endless supply of forts and military camps at you and it all plays out in exactly the same way. Perhaps if they get rid of the level requirements for main missions you at least have the option to ignore all of that crap. It all won't matter if they don't fix the writing though.

With this being set in a historical Norse setting and depending on the timing, it might go up against the next God of War. That comparison could seriously hurt it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wait.. is this an Xbox exclusive? That would be awesome for people like me who have both consoles to justify having them. :lol:

I know I'm in the minority but I started loving the series after Origins and Odyssey being massive kept me sane for the first month of lockdown so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Wait.. is this an Xbox exclusive? That would be awesome for people like me who have both consoles to justify having them. :lol:

I know I'm in the minority but I started loving the series after Origins and Odyssey being massive kept me sane for the first month of lockdown so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.
Nope. They're just marketing with Xbox like Cyberpunk is.