Gaming Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Heardy

Finished Spiderman MM and loaded this up this morning.

Let the Animus pick my character and got the female Eivor - no complaints with that.

Any tips when starting out? I'm sure i'll pick it up easily enough, but any advice from those of you that have sunk a load of hours into this already?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
What's the motivation for platinum-ing game? Never understood it.

Just an extra achievement I guess. I only platinum games I put hours into as its a feeling of accomplishment in the end. Plus alot of my mates platinum games so its a little extra competition between us all.

Ive done the hardest trophy on valhalla the rest should just come naturally now.

dannyrhinos89

Let the Animus pick my character and got the female Eivor - no complaints with that.

Any tips when starting out? I'm sure i'll pick it up easily enough, but any advice from those of you that have sunk a load of hours into this already?

Definately do the side quests and collect wealth. Basically if you are passing it then go find it, It'll help with gaining skill points. Also the daggers are the best weapon imo. Plus learn to use parry as its important when facing tougher enemies. Also upgrade your horse ASAP, The extra speed and ability to swim are much quicker.

Most of it you'll pick up though.

Heardy

Definately do the side quests and collect wealth. Basically if you are passing it then go find it, It'll help with gaining skill points. Also the daggers are the best weapon imo. Plus learn to use parry as its important when facing tougher enemies. Also upgrade your horse ASAP, The extra speed and ability to swim are much quicker.

Most of it you'll pick up though.
Thanks for this.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Agree with Danny to an extent, but I also found I just have to have to ignore some. Otherwise you’ll probably get fed up. I’d say especially early game in Norway. Don’t try and do everything there. Do a few bits but keep the story going and get to England. Be easy to get bogged down there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just an extra achievement I guess. I only platinum games I put hours into as its a feeling of accomplishment in the end. Plus alot of my mates platinum games so its a little extra competition between us all.

Ive done the hardest trophy on valhalla the rest should just come naturally now.
Cool, mate. More power to you! Was just trying to understand.

el3mel

The new update absolutely fecked up the game for me. It has been crashing non stop since the patch. 3 crashes in about 7 hours or so.

dannyrhinos89

Ive just looked and East anglia was 100% completion before the patch, now its saying I'm missing 2 treasures and there's none on the map left to be found.

Heardy

Agree with Danny to an extent, but I also found I just have to have to ignore some. Otherwise you’ll probably get fed up. I’d say especially early game in Norway. Don’t try and do everything there. Do a few bits but keep the story going and get to England. Be easy to get bogged down there.
Cheers, not played AC in ages and there seems to be so much to the menu.

I got the ultimate edition which gave me some upgrades for Runes / Beserker settlement but I don’t think I’ve been able to activate it after redeeming.

dannyrhinos89

Cheers, not played AC in ages and there seems to be so much to the menu.

I got the ultimate edition which gave me some upgrades for Runes / Beserker settlement but I don’t think I’ve been able to activate it after redeeming.
The menu can be a little overwhelming but you’ll get used to it. I think you get the berserker set after completing a particular mission, it’s quite early on though while in Norway.

el3mel

74 hours in and I feel like I still have 30 or so more hours to finish the story. :nervous:

Skill Up was honestly not wrong at all when he said the game is bloated. It definitely is. It's is starting to massively drag at this point.

Even Odyssey took me 70 hours to finish all 3 plot lines and clear the map from all side quests, while maxing my character level.

Fully Fledged

Make sure to upgrade your rations. The extra heals will be invaluable.

el3mel

Ok it's starting to drag like hell now. It just doesn't want to end at this point. I felt very bored yesterday while playing.

It's starting to overstay its welcome for me.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ive barely been able to follow the story(maybe because I've been listening to other stuff while playing) but I'm in endgame now about 80 hours in and have no idea what the story was really about.

dannyrhinos89

Ok it's starting to drag like hell now. It just doesn't want to end at this point. I felt very bored yesterday while playing.

Take a break from it and play something else. For awhile. It won't hurt.

I'm 80 hours in and still loving it. I refuse to buy another game until I get a ps5. So its valhalla or nothing for me.

Heardy

Make sure to upgrade your rations. The extra heals will be invaluable.
Solid advice!

Has anyone noticed a bug on some of the treasure/wealth quests?

One that I encountered was linked to a camp. I killed all of the guys. The ingot logo is linked to the main villain in camp. But I can only pick up the body rather than loot it. It’s definitely pinned to the guy as I can pick him up and move the guy and ingot location in the map radar.

Not sure how much sense this makes, but annoying that there’s wealth that I can’t get...

2 Neville's

I’m sorry I left the seer missions until I’d completed the main quest. Best part of the game for me so far. Slightly annoyed that I’ve done every raid and still don’t have enough supplies to upgrade the settlement completely, that’s grinding for grindings sake.

el3mel

Take a break from it and play something else. For awhile. It won't hurt.

I'm 80 hours in and still loving it. I refuse to buy another game until I get a ps5. So its valhalla or nothing for me.
The problem is you literally become invincible the more you progress. 80 hours now, power level 321 and I'm not dying anymore. At the start I felt it was a little bit tough, was dying a lot but now it's just stupid easy. I don't think they balanced how the enemies progress in comparison to your progression at all.

The way the skill tree is designed it's impossible to just excel in one play style over the other. All the trees have skills upgrading stealth, ranged and melee damage regardless of where you're putting skill points, so it's pretty easy to become stupidly overpowered, and this in return makes the game less and less fun to play as you go on. There's no threat or danger anymore. It's just you basically repeating the same activities over and over and over again for about 100 hours.

Stealth while done decently well, stops being of any value and ends up just a waste of time. Why waste a lot of time trying to snipe the enemies from far away or assassinate them, while you can go on all out attacking and slaughter all of them in few minutes and save time ? There's nothing that will make you favor going stealthy over offensive attacking. You're overpowered anyway, just save your time and rush in killing everyone.

Also, it was pretty fun searching for wealth at the start but now it has become a drag searching for a way to get past a barred door. There's a limit for that I believe. They have really overdone the "shooting at barred door from the back to open it" puzzle.

Overall I think the game suffers from lack of balancing the progression of the enemies to compete with your own progression and extending a gameplay loop for more than what it should be. The current gameplay loop of Valhalla should have been 60 hours max I believe.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

It’s lengthy for the sake of being lengthy. There’s *so many* pointless main quest pledges!

dannyrhinos89

The problem is you literally become invincible the more you progress. 80 hours now, power level 321 and I'm not dying anymore. At the start I felt it was a little bit tough, was dying a lot but now it's just stupid easy. I don't think they balanced how the enemies progress in comparison to your progression at all.

The way the skill tree is designed it's impossible to just excel in one play style over the other. All the trees have skills upgrading stealth, ranged and melee damage regardless of where you're putting skill points, so it's pretty easy to become stupidly overpowered, and this in return makes the game less and less fun to play as you go on. There's no threat or danger anymore. It's just you basically repeating the same activities over and over and over again for about 100 hours.

Stealth while done decently well, stops being of any value and ends up just a waste of time. Why waste a lot of time trying to snipe the enemies from far away or assassinate them, while you can go on all out attacking and slaughter all of them in few minutes and save time ? There's nothing that will make you favor going stealthy over offensive attacking. You're overpowered anyway, just save your time and rush in killing everyone.

Also, it was pretty fun searching for wealth at the start but now it has become a drag searching for a way to get past a barred door. There's a limit for that I believe. They have really overdone the "shooting at barred door from the back to open it" puzzle.

Overall I think the game suffers from lack of balancing the progression of the enemies to compete with your own progression and extending a gameplay loop for more than what it should be. The current gameplay loop of Valhalla should have been 60 hours max I believe.

Yeah I do agree with your points tbh. The rank up system is all wrong. The enemies are quite easy to beat. Even the legendary animals pose no threat anymore As im too powerful and it is easier to just fight rather than stealth your way and yes the main campaign should be shorter too.

Despite this I still enjoy it and I will still platinum it.

Fully Fledged

Solid advice!

Has anyone noticed a bug on some of the treasure/wealth quests?

One that I encountered was linked to a camp. I killed all of the guys. The ingot logo is linked to the main villain in camp. But I can only pick up the body rather than loot it. It’s definitely pinned to the guy as I can pick him up and move the guy and ingot location in the map radar.

Not sure how much sense this makes, but annoying that there’s wealth that I can’t get...
Not seen that but no. In fact I’ve been lucky and not seen any major bugs.

macheda14

Could you turn up the difficulty?

el3mel

Could you turn up the difficulty?
Wouldn't change much, it would increase damage but this is obsolete anyway as I have 5 rations to fully heal during fight. Beside, it won't fix the terrible AI.

el3mel

The daughters of Lerion fights were the best challenge I got from the game though. They're the only fights I felt they respect how strong you're.

el3mel

Be honest, you forgot this was an option
Not really nope, but the effect of difficulty options is kind of overestimated. The higher difficulties make the enemies more aggressive and deal more damage. That doesn't change the core problems in general : Enemies AI are stupid, you have ton of health with ton of healing items and more importantly, it's easy to get very overleveled ahead of your opponent. I'm power level 353 at the moment and the highest power level area on the map is 340.

They should have balanced it by making the skill tree work like if you excel in stealth, you severely lack in melee and vice verse.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not really nope, but the effect of difficulty options is kind of overestimated. The higher difficulties make the enemies more aggressive and deal more damage. That doesn't change the core problems in general : Enemies AI are stupid, you have ton of health with ton of healing items and more importantly, it's easy to get very overleveled ahead of your opponent. I'm power level 353 at the moment and the highest power level area on the map is 340.

They should have balanced it by making the skill tree work like if you excel in stealth, you severely lack in melee and vice verse.
Yeah the skill tree doesn’t make much sense. I quite like having a rounded character on this and won’t be doing multiple builds so it’s alright for me though.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Anyone playing on base PS4? Will the PS4 melt if I play it?

Playing sniper elite 4 earlier and it sounded like a jet engine and that's an old game!

el3mel

Anyone playing on base PS4? Will the PS4 melt if I play it?

Playing sniper elite 4 earlier and it sounded like a jet engine and that's an old game!
I'm playing on base PS4, but the game had too many technical issues for me. It crashed at least 8 or 9 times now in 86 hours and encountered every single bug and glitch you can imagine.

el3mel

OK the ending of the main story was fantastic. Feel like it was worth it at the end. You won't see it coming.

There's still one more area left to conquer in the map so I should be done with this within the next 2 days or so. I'm 95 hours now, so yeah I guess I will finish it at the 100 hours mark.

sport2793

OK the ending of the main story was fantastic. Feel like it was worth it at the end. You won't see it coming.

There's still one more area left to conquer in the map so I should be done with this within the next 2 days or so. I'm 95 hours now, so yeah I guess I will finish it at the 100 hours mark.
Did you complete all the side missions? I'm at 14 hours right now and am trying to complete everything.

el3mel

Did you complete all the side missions? I'm at 14 hours right now and am trying to complete everything.
I left about 2 to 3 mysteries in each area, bar 3 areas I fully completed all mysteries in them.

At the start of the game the combination of mysteries and wealth was pretty fun to be fully completed but unfortunately the main story drags like hell with so many fillers later on so chasing side activities start becoming tiring as well. I did my best though, to keep it at the same rate so that I only leave 2-3 mysteries and similarly wealth in each area before moving on the next.

The game would have benefited a lot with less areas to pledge. Some areas were absolute fillers and could have been cut from the game without needing their presence.

That said, the ending was really fantastic and no matter what, you will never see it coming! Full old games vibe here.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

For a game you didn’t really seem to enjoy you haven’t half had some value out of it! :lol:

el3mel

For a game you didn’t really seem to enjoy you haven’t half had some value out of it! :lol:
Not enjoying it is a big of a stretch I will say, otherwise I wouldn't have managed to reach such time. Overstaying its welcome is the right phrase here.

First 40-50 hours were great, then fillers start to become way too much and the story dragged like hell.

The game has about 16-17 story arcs that you will have to complete to finish the main story. None of them are optional. Many of them were absolute fillers that the characters you meet in them will never be seen again. Some of them had terribly boring story. Think of this as a long TV show series that has many arcs. I want to know what will happen to the main characters, but I have to literally stop and do some terrible story arc about a husband and wife who have become cold to each other and needed a change in their life! BS.

Some of these arcs should have been cut from the game and the game would have been much better. It should have ended at around 50-60 hours mark. It's crazy to say but Valhalla is probably twice the size of Odyssey.

I really liked the ending and I feel it was at least worth the wait but that doesn't change the fact the game really overstayed its welcome for me.

I will rate it 7/10 even though during the first 40 hours it was a solid 8.