Gaming Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

el3mel

It's better than Odyssey, but Origins is still the best in this overall flawed trilogy. Big bonus for Origins is it wasn't bloated unlike these 2 and it had a very good protagonist. I'm sorry but Kassandra and Eivor are nothing bar a vessel for the player and nothing else, they barely have any kind of personality during the game for me (I know many seem to like Kassandra but that's my opinion).

Withnail

I just started playing this and like it so far although it has the usual drawbacks.

Was it a mistake taking the resources before heading to England?

None of the choices I made up to that point seemed to affect any outcomes, even when I said to kill your man's son they let him go anyway so I thought feck it.

AaronRedDevil

I just started playing this and like it so far although it has the usual drawbacks.

Was it a mistake taking the resources before heading to England?

None of the choices I made up to that point seemed to affect any outcomes, even when I said to kill your man's son they let him go anyway so I thought feck it.
I'm just at that part myself. I probably should have took them maybe. Just about to enter england.

el3mel

There are 5 choices that kind of affect the ending. Not in a significant way but affect your relationship with Siguard and the outcome of it by the end. The game doesn't tell you about them till the ending came. You only need 3 out of the 5 as far as I'm concerned, as I got one bad choice and still got the good outcome.

I will put them in spoilers if some want to spoil it to get the "good" cutscenes at the end, note that these have spoilers for some end game story events as well:

1- Taking or leaving the resources behind: the good choice is to leave them behind, the bad one is to take them.

2- Dating Siguard's wife. Of course betraying your brother is a bad choice.

3- punching Basim in one argument. Refuse to punch him and calm the situation down for the good stuff.

4- Giving the axe to Dag for the good option.

5- Accepting Siguard's judgment in one argument that happens in the settlement after he returned.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm about 60 hours into this now and I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed it. It's clear that Ubisoft has refined many of the systems in Odyssey and Origins and the game feels better for it. Overall I really enjoy the settlement and raiding system and they are just frequent enough that you always feel like a badass Viking. The game isn't particularly challenging or even that deep but I think they nailed what really matters, the atmosphere and world. Also maybe its just me but I think the general quality of voice acting and quest design is miles better than the last couple games. I also like Eivor far more than Bayak or Alexios who I found really forgettable. There are some nice throwback missions and tasks in this game that I feel has been missing from the last few AC iterations that I'm glad to see make an appearance. Overall it's not a groundbreaking experience, but it's a fun one. It remains to be seen if I'll still feel this way after another 60 hours which It might take to complete it, but I don't feel I'm flagging too much at the moment.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Needed 1 fecking fish since November for the platinum and I STILL can’t fecking get it because it’s bugged.

2 patches since then and none have addressed the issue, I enjoyed the game but at this point I hate Ubisoft.

TrustInJanuzaj

Needed 1 fecking fish since November for the platinum and I STILL can’t fecking get it because it’s bugged.

2 patches since then and none have addressed the issue, I enjoyed the game but at this point I hate Ubisoft.
God that's annoying, feel for you there. Is it only bugged for you or a wide-ranging issue?

Rustyspider13

I'm done with the game at 85% trophy completion after trying a few times to get the overdesign 2 trophy. That combined with the fishing trophy meant Valhalla crossed the line between putting a bit of extra time for the plat and hoping for RNG miracles. With 126 hours into the game, I think I've spent enough time here.

Overall the game has been quite fun. My biggest complaints are that the combat can feel weightless and stealth seems like the worse option every time. But I think they succeeded with a lot of the new mechanics. The world is beautiful and some of the stories were interesting if not a bit predictable. The new puzzles like shooting arrows through gaps at locks and explosive barrels and matching patterns at standing stones were quite clever at times. The cairns can buzz off though. Loved the Animus anomalies even if some of the platforming was frustratingly imprecise at parts.

The biggest surprise for me is how they made me care about the modern day storyline after the ending of AC3 made me bail out. I'm interested to see where they go now. Hope Ubisoft take another 2 year break and make something bold for a proper next gen AC.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
God that's annoying, feel for you there. Is it only bugged for you or a wide-ranging issue?

Some can get it some can't, I've caught fish that others can't. I think people have trouble with flat fish but I found that easy. I need a bream yet it despawns instantly but others have caught it.

fishing is bugged but in different ways for different people. Either way its incredibly frustrating.

AaronRedDevil

Hope they fix the tattoo bug soon. Can’t get a tattoo because there’s a “change” at the camp.

TrustInJanuzaj

Since the patch, during interactions there will be at least one moment where the characters speak without their mouths moving
Yeh I’ve noticed the same, never noticed it before but I didn’t realise it was the patch.

AaronRedDevil

How many fecking bugs are in this game. Its been out a while, how is it still going on. Can't change my Cloak because of the stupid Mari Lwyd thing is still there.

Rustyspider13

How many fecking bugs are in this game. Its been out a while, how is it still going on. Can't change my Cloak because of the stupid Mari Lwyd thing is still there.
This seems to be a common problem. Leave the Glowchesterscire area entirely, take your cloak on and off from the quick menu. That fixed it for me. It'll always come back in the area for story purposes.

AaronRedDevil

This seems to be a common problem. Leave the Glowchesterscire area entirely, take your cloak on and off from the quick menu. That fixed it for me. It'll always come back in the area for story purposes.
Yeah managed to fix it now. Still can’t talk to the tattoo one after I finished that storyline.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finally finished it. Did all the things needed to get Excalibur/odins spear/mjolnir, got all the abilities, got all the viewpoints, pacified every region and finished the main story and the asgard/jotunheim stories. Also did all the anomalies to get the secret ending.

Took 99 hours and 57 minutes... fecking exhausting game. It's great in large parts of it, but seriously needs to be cut down by 30 hours or so. Just drags on and on. I didn't go full completionist and didn't both getting a lot of chests or whatever, but did maybe a little over normal playing pace. Normal playing pace would probably take 85-90 hours to finish. Just way too long.

el3mel

Finally finished it. Did all the things needed to get Excalibur/odins spear/mjolnir, got all the abilities, got all the viewpoints, pacified every region and finished the main story and the asgard/jotunheim stories. Also did all the anomalies to get the secret ending.

Took 99 hours and 57 minutes... fecking exhausting game. It's great in large parts of it, but seriously needs to be cut down by 30 hours or so. Just drags on and on. I didn't go full completionist and didn't both getting a lot of chests or whatever, but did maybe a little over normal playing pace. Normal playing pace would probably take 85-90 hours to finish. Just way too long.
Many regions quest lines should have been optional. Many of them are fillers that have nothing to do with the story, and they're the reason the game drags like hell. Take that region questline that deals with Halloween origins. It's not bad, but it has feck all to do with the story, should have been side quest.

If they have made the filler pledges just optional quest lines and side quests the game would have been ten times better.

Ubisoft decided to improve the side quests problem from the last games by literally making them obligatory for story progression. Ridiculous game design.

At the moment Valhalla plays like a very long episodic TV shows with many episodes being filler. It's unfortunately the main drawback of the game.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Can anyone clarify for me:

Can I start a game myself, and then make a separate game as well? So two loads (2 different people)? Or is it one save/load only? Starting a "new game" completely erases your progress?

Withnail

Why are all of the main lads in this game such dicks?

Sigurd is an absolute clown and that Dag fella is pissing me right off. Working me arse off here for these alliances and no one's happy :lol:

SirAnderson

Reaching the 70 hour mark and I can't take it, game is so freaking long, can't help that I can't go to the next map without my OCD needing to clear all the Artifacts, Mysteries and wealth of the area I just finished the main quest for. :houllier:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Reaching the 70 hour mark and I can't take it, game is so freaking long, can't help that I can't go to the next map without my OCD needing to clear all the Artifacts, Mysteries and wealth of the area I just finished the main quest for. :houllier:
Aye, it appears to be fecking massive, think I'm level 55 or something but seems I've barely scratched the surface ffs.

Hamnat

And you have another year of support and DLCs still coming as well. I'm not a completionist though theres a ton of mysteries I still haven't done. I just finished upgrading my settlement despite beating the game and doing all the quests and the Druids dlc

el3mel

I saw the DLC about the new region and my first reaction was "no thanks, not looking forward to conquer yet another region".

Hoof the ball

Another DLC and another Assassin-less story. At least Odyssey and Origins DLC had stories based around establishing the assassin lore. There's feck all lore or assassin presence in this DLC or the upcoming Siege of Paris one. Ubisoft are cnuts.

SirAnderson

Another DLC and another Assassin-less story. At least Odyssey and Origins DLC had stories based around establishing the assassin lore. There's feck all lore or assassin presence in this DLC or the upcoming Siege of Paris one. Ubisoft are cnuts.
Yeah will probably give that a pass.
After this one is finished I still got to finish RDR2 :wenger:

Fully Fledged

I enjoyed it but I didn't try to do all the mysteries or artefacts. I just did enough to complete each of the areas. Again the Wrath of the Druids had a good main campaign IMHO if you didn't try to do everything. I am the type to put hundreds of hours into games though so don't get burned out easily.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I enjoyed it but I didn't try to do all the mysteries or artefacts. I just did enough to complete each of the areas. Again the Wrath of the Druids had a good main campaign IMHO if you didn't try to do everything. I am the type to put hundreds of hours into games though so don't get burned out easily.
Even though it seems overly long, at least you're getting monies worth imo, I can go back to it for the next couple months and clear things up if I want. I'll probably not even complete the main story for a couple months anyway :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you take these games for what they are these days — 7/10’s with very pretty but fairly hollow worlds, meh combat, and padded out storylines — you can swallow it a little bit. Should we just accept that? Eh, probably not. But the last 3 or 4 have basically been cut and paste just in different eras.

Fully Fledged

Even though it seems overly long, at least you're getting monies worth imo, I can go back to it for the next couple months and clear things up if I want. I'll probably not even complete the main story for a couple months anyway :lol:
Yeah it took me a while. I don't think it's a game you should binge in a week.

SirAnderson

I did 2 hours today, and will try to do another 2 tonight, but I just want to get it over with already at this point. It's been on my pc for months already and want to just finish it and delete it :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeh I feel that. Had it on my PS5 since day one. Played about 100 hours but still have loads to go and honestly I can’t face it at the moment. The combat just isn’t satisfying enough for a game of this size.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That will definitely ruin it. It’s the sort of thing where you aren’t really meant to do everything I think.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I was fatigued playing the previous AC game, but Valhalla really clicked with me. Started watching Vikings on Amazon recently too, so it gave me an interest I never really knew I had

Viking’s, a great bunch of lads

Hoof the ball

Finally finished it after 97 hours and 28 minutes. A bit of a let down for me, felt very shallow of an ending. Clearly also setting up the next chapter though.
:lol: I didn't even know it'd ended.

Went back to camp, looked for a new main mission and couldn't find it. Thought I was missing something. Spent half an hour walking around camp. Turned out I'd finished it. FFS.

SirAnderson

:lol: I didn't even know it'd ended.

Went back to camp, looked for a new main mission and couldn't find it. Thought I was missing something. Spent half an hour walking around camp. Turned out I'd finished it. FFS.
:lol: That 28 minutes was what I used to realize I finished it too :houllier: Weirdest way to end it for sure. I legit thought something more was coming after you know who becomes controllable.