Aston Villa 2019/20

VJ1762

Just learned that Prince williams is a Villa fan. Must be nice to have royalty as fans.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Doesn’t mean we should spend 50m or plus for him.
You've just spent that on a right back.:lol:

Said it a few weeks back he'd be a great fit for your central midfield that lacks drive and energy on the days Pogba isn't feeling it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You've just spent that on a right back.:lol:

Said it a few weeks back he'd be a great fit for your central midfield that lacks drive and energy on the days Pogba isn't feeling it.
Not sure what’s the issue of spending that on Bissaka.

I do have an issue of spending 50m plus on McGinn when we have Gomes, Garner & McTomminay for our future midfield option.

Lebowski

Not sure what’s the issue of spending that on Bissaka.

I do have an issue of spending 50m plus on McGinn when we have Gomes, Garner & McTomminay for our future midfield option.
If he continues this sort of form for the rest of the season £50m will start to look like a bargain. Considering how chronically short we are in midfield, I don't think we have the privilege of worrying about how signing a suitable first team midfielder will impact the development of players six years younger and not very similar.

On ths subject of Villa, watching them on Sky tonight reminded me how glad I am to see them back in the PL. Proper club with proper fans and a proper stadium. Depending on how I fair in the away ticket lottery I might have to blag some of the Villa fans on here for home tickets as it's been years since I've been to Villa Park. I was there as a teenager for the pitch invasion in 2002 and remember being carried about four rows down in the madness of the celebrations for Ruud's winner.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he continues this sort of form for the rest of the season £50m will start to look like a bargain. Considering how chronically short we are in midfield, I don't think we have the privilege of worrying about how signing a suitable first team midfielder will impact the development of players six years younger and not very similar.

On ths subject of Villa, watching them on Sky tonight reminded me how glad I am to see them back in the PL. Proper club with proper fans and a proper stadium. Depending on how I fair in the away ticket lottery I might have to blag some of the Villa fans on here for home tickets as it's been years since I've been to Villa Park. I was there as a teenager for the pitch invasion in 2002 and remember being carried about four rows down in the madness of the celebrations for Ruud's winner.
Spend the money on players that can improve us. If we are playing 433, McTomminay will be likely to be the box to box no 8. If we are playing 4231 then we need a new no 10.

Lebowski

Spend the money on players that can improve us. If we are playing 433, McTomminay will be likely to be the box to box no 8. If we are playing 4231 then we need a new no 10.
We've got two passable midfielders at the club. One has made it very clear he wants to leave and the other is a young player who has shown glimpses of being a competent but very limited player. I don't want to derail the thread too much by making it into a discussion of United's midfielders, but it surprises me that you don't think we should sign a new midfielder like McGuinn because we have academy kids who might one day be good enough to start.

I'm not saying McGuinn is the second coming of Keane, but looking at our current midfield options, the extra quality, creativity, work-rate and ability to drive the ball forward he would have provided would be welcome.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We've got two passable midfielders at the club. One has made it very clear he wants to leave and the other is a young player who has shown glimpses of being a competent but very limited player. I don't want to derail the thread too much by making it into a discussion of United's midfielders, but it surprises me that you don't think we should sign a new midfielder like McGuinn because we have academy kids who might one day be good enough to start.

I'm not saying McGuinn is the second coming of Keane, but looking at our current midfield options, the extra quality, creativity, work-rate and ability to drive the ball forward he would have provided would be welcome.
I don’t see McGinn as suitable replacement of Pogba’s role and I don’t see his 50m value to be worthy to replace McTomminay. And in additional of my first sentence we have some other talented young players will be coming from academy.

Yes, I don’t think we should spend 50m for a player at caliber of McGinn. I don’t think we need him, we should spend that much of money on type players that we need as per what I mentioned in my previous post.

Lebowski

I don’t see McGinn as suitable replacement of Pogba’s role and I don’t see his 50m value to be worthy to replace McTomminay. And in additional of my first sentence we have some other talented young players will be coming from academy.

Yes, I don’t think we should spend 50m for a player at caliber of McGinn. I don’t think we need him, we should spend that much of money on type players that we need as per what I mentioned in my previous post.
Is it specifically McGinn you wouldn't want us to sign or do you think we don't need a new midfielder full stop?

I can't claim to have watched Villa every week, so I'm not saying McGinn is definitely the answer to our midfield issues, but our midfield options at the moment are non-existent so I can't understand the objection to another addition in this area.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is it specifically McGinn you wouldn't want us to sign or do you think we don't need a new midfielder full stop?

I can't claim to have watched Villa every week, so I'm not saying McGinn is definitely the answer to our midfield issues, but our midfield options at the moment are non-existent so I can't understand the objection to another addition in this area.
Pretty sure I made it clear enough in my previous 2 posts regarding to your question. Don’t know why are you still asking the question unless you didn’t read them.

hocane

I'd take McGinn over McTominay and Pereira anyday of the week.
Got so much more talent and ability than both of them combined.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
John John McGinn has dipped a little recently, think a bit of fatigue as he gets through a ridiculous amount of work during a match and played about 70 games for club and country in last year.

My worry is if Leicester get CL they'll come in for him as Rodgers really wanted to sign him for Celtic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not looking good for them which just emphasises how bad we must have been on the day not to beat them :mad:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Mings has been rubbish for a while now which means next week he's going to put in a MOTM performance against us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think we've on the same points now as Fulham were when they were relegated (they also lost 3-0 at home to Man. United in the run in).

We simply didn't get in enough premier league experienced players. Or other players experienced from major leagues. About 50m went on players playing in Belgium and Italy.

Said it in the match thread but we needed a Gary Cahill type alongside Mings badly. We signed three other CBs and they were all under 25 and had never played in premier league.

And replacing Tammy Abraham with Wesley for 22m was a rank bad call.

Another 12 months wasted. I do think we'll bounce back straight away though provided we get in 3-4 players who know the championship. Dwight Gayle would be a good start as he scores 20 + goals with his eyes closed in that league.

DavidDeSchmikes

Think we've on the same points now as Fulham were when they were relegated (they also lost 3-0 at home to Man. United in the run in).

We simply didn't get in enough premier league experienced players. Or other players experienced from major leagues. About 50m went on players playing in Belgium and Italy.

Said it in the match thread but we needed a Gary Cahill type alongside Mings badly. We signed three other CBs and they were all under 25 and had never played in premier league.

And replacing Tammy Abraham with Wesley for 22m was a rank bad call.

Another 12 months wasted. I do think we'll bounce back straight away though provided we get in 3-4 players who know the championship. Dwight Gayle would be a good start as he scores 20 + goals with his eyes closed in that league.
How many of the summer signings would you call a success?
Do you see Dean Smith staying for next season?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How many of the summer signings would you call a success?
Do you see Dean Smith staying for next season?
I'd let Dean go tbh. We've got used to losing again this season and always feels a risk to me when you go down with that manager, always feels a time for a fresh voice and ideas.

From last summer:

Heaton- What I was calling for, been there and done it prem players. We needed more of that. Easily the best keeper of I think the 4 we've played this season.

Konsa, Hause, Gulibert, Targett and Engels. Defenders we signed last summer. Only Targett had any decent prem experienced and he was mainly a reserve to Betrand at Southampton. Way overpriced at 14m. Still I think most of them will look o.k at prem level.

Nakamba, Luiz signed for the DM role. We wanted Kalvin Phillips from Leeds but he prefered to go up with them. I thought in 2-3 years time Douglas Luiz will be a top class midfield playing for a CL/europa team like Gueye and Veretout do now who we signed in summer 2015. Man. City have buy back clause.

Upfront- Samatta, Wesley, El Ghazi and Trezeguet signed. This is where we massively failed. They cost nearly 50m between them ffs. :lol: Not good enough to replace Tammy Abraham who in normal circumstances we'd have probably signed for 25m.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Your attack is worse than when you went down in 2016 and that team was truly abysmal. I have watched a fair few Villa games this year and I have no idea what they are trying to achieve in their attacking play. Are they aiming for crosses into a big target man, runs into behind, fast passing etc. All the attackers look like they don't want the ball and when they do get it, they look equally hopeless.

Last night's second half was the first time I've seen the Villa players look resigned to their fate.

DavidDeSchmikes

I'd let Dean go tbh. We've got used to losing again this season and always feels a risk to me when you go down with that manager, always feels a time for a fresh voice and ideas.

From last summer:

Heaton- What I was calling for, been there and done it prem players. We needed more of that. Easily the best keeper of I think the 4 we've played this season.

Konsa, Hause, Gulibert, Targett and Engels. Defenders we signed last summer. Only Targett had any decent prem experienced and he was mainly a reserve to Betrand at Southampton. Way overpriced at 14m. Still I think most of them will look o.k at prem level.

Nakamba, Luiz signed for the DM role. We wanted Kalvin Phillips from Leeds but he prefered to go up with them. I thought in 2-3 years time Douglas Luiz will be a top class midfield playing for a CL/europa team like Gueye and Veretout do now who we signed in summer 2015. Man. City have buy back clause.

Upfront- Samatta, Wesley, El Ghazi and Trezeguet signed. This is where we massively failed. They cost nearly 50m between them ffs. :lol: Not good enough to replace Tammy Abraham who in normal circumstances we'd have probably signed for 25m.
didn't realise how many players Villa signed. Also signed Jota and then signed Borja Baston, Reina and Drinkwater in January. A bit like Fulham last season, get promoted via the playoffs, then splash £100+ on players. At Fulham, Tony Khan was apparently responsible for their summer signings last season, he was head of recruitment. I wonder if Villa had something similar
Luiz has looked decent on a number of occasions. But yeah not enough goals from the forward line. How many of those players will stay next season will be interesting.

If Dean Smith left, you would you like to see replace him?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
My god that was torture. Fighting for europe is heavenly compared to going through last day relegation battles.

I'm delighted we've stayed up but we're going to have to sign very well to not be in the same position next season. And we'll know soon enough what's going on with Grealish.

Looking forward to all the salty posts about the Sheffield ghost goal now. :D

Idxomer

Happy for Trezeguet and Elmohamady and also Grealish who deserves it for his performances.

Congratulations!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Happy for Trezeguet and Elmohamady and also Grealish who deserves it for his performances.

Congratulations!
AEM is one of my favourite players in our squad. Didn't think much of his signing given he just seemed to follow Steve Bruce around but he has excellent mentality, more of that in our squad and we'd be finishing 11th or 12th.

Trez was pretty woeful for most of the season but has a weird knack of scoring crucial goals and saved us in the run in. Our Lingard. ;)

Idxomer

AEM is one of my favourite players in our squad. Didn't think much of his signing given he just seemed to follow Steve Bruce around but he has excellent mentality, more of that in our squad and we'd be finishing 11th or 12th.

Trez was pretty woeful for most of the season but has a weird knack of scoring crucial goals and saved us in the run in. Our Lingard. ;)
They both have a good mentality. Trez played for my local team, he isn't PL level but gives his all in spite of his limitations.

Lingard is someone who would do well for you :smirk:

el3mel

@FootballHQ Isn't it great that Trezeguet's goat in Arsenal ended up being a key factor in you staying in the league ? :D And his 2 goals in Palace as we're in it.

Crucial 6 points here. :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
@FootballHQ Isn't it great that Trezeguet's goat in Arsenal ended up being a key factor in you staying in the league ? :D And his 2 goals in Palace as we're in it.

Crucial 6 points here. :D
He also scored to get us through to the cup final. :lol: And very nearly got the winner v Liverpool in November.

el3mel

They both have a good mentality. Trez played for my local team, he isn't PL level but gives his all in spite of his limitations.

Lingard is someone who would do well for you :smirk:
You're Egyptian ?