Aston Villa 2022-23

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
A Team on the up, getting some good transfers in. Could they be in the hunt for a top 6 position in the new season. The way I see it in the new year it will be Kloop v Pep Again.
Chelsea and Spurs the best of the rest and our lot with Newcastle and Villa to round of the Top 6.

With Regards to Villa are they owned by a Sugar Daddy????

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Villa need to be careful. Yes, they’ve added these players but Digne, Coutinho, Ings and Buendia already joined them last season, the former three on 100k+ and they didn’t do anything of note. They almost got dragged into the relegation battle. They need to make sure they get it right because Carlos/Kamara are also going to be on 100k+ and their wage bill isn’t going to be pretty if they don’t do anything with it.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
On the up? Don’t think so.

Think the season previous showed how influential Grealish was and new signings like Buendia and Ings have had a average season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Another season another 100m+ to not even crack 10th+ place finish? Sounds about right

Telsim

Villa are a good manager away from Top 6. Sack Gerrard and get Poch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We need to be in european mix for sure.

Not demanding top 6 as Ings and Watkins were pretty underwhelming and missed too many chances between them.

However it was disappointing to be so far off Wolves for most of last season. Even with them only winning once in last 10 games we still finished 6 points off them.

They were top 8 for most of the season so that should be realistic target next season.

Signing older players is a bit of a worry but we do have some good youth coming through aswell to balance things out.

Still 50/50 on Gerrard, not sold on his style of football so far.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The underlying stats suggest improvement for next season. The signings and linked players are quite promising. I imagine an upper-mid-table Wolves-under-Nuno type of season (hard to beat, sticky, lots of draws) is on the cards.

Bulletproof91

Supports
Rangers
I don't think Gerrard will be the guy to take Villa to the next step regardless of who he signs. His tactical nous and usage of subs is very poor. Micheal Beale is the brains behind the operation, Gerrard is essentially just a voice for media interviews and a name to attract players that may necessarily be nowhere Villa. Saying all that though I do wish him well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think Gerrard will be the guy to take Villa to the next step regardless of who he signs. His tactical nous and usage of subs is very poor. Micheal Beale is the brains behind the operation, Gerrard is essentially just a voice for media interviews and a name to attract players that may necessarily be nowhere Villa. Saying all that though I do wish him well.
Michael Beale has now left to go to QPR. Gerrard might be sacked by Christmas.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Villa are a good manager away from Top 6. Sack Gerrard and get Poch.
Wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. Although nobody really gives a shit about them they are actually quite a big club and their owners have plenty of cash. Gerrard is protecting us from being challenged by Villa I feel at the moment. His 2 no.10s on the wing formation is cack, basically same shit Rangnick tried.

There are a lot of parallels between them and us in fairness, they're basically us on a budget and without any relatively recent history of success.

Red_toad

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. Although nobody really gives a shit about them they are actually quite a big club and their owners have plenty of cash. Gerrard is protecting us from being challenged by Villa I feel at the moment. His 2 no.10s on the wing formation is cack, basically same shit Rangnick tried.

There are a lot of parallels between them and us in fairness, they're basically us on a budget and without any relatively recent history of success.
They haven’t won a thing of note since before Sir Alex took over at United, how the heck is that recent? They have a media darling manager who is under achieving with the players he has, long may it continue so he can line up the Klopp job in a few years…

Tavern in the town

Not really a fan of their business. Digne, Coutinho and Carlos are 28, 29 and 29 and they’ve all been signed for a decent chunk.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ians lad?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hope they stick with Gerrard. Any half decent manager will take them places.

Digne - Mings - Carlos - Cash Is a decent defence .

Martinez is a brilliant GK and they have a good midfield too.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Possible that Villa could do a West 'Am and get a Europa conference spot. Although Moyse has found his level at The Hammers and doing a great job, he has a penchant for buying defenders every bloody summer, obviously a long way to go in the transfer window but he really needs some extra creativity for next season.

Not convinced Chelsea will be all that next year and damn sure Arsenal will do Arsenal things, so prob a good time for Villa to try and break into the upper echelons of the Prem. Honourable mention to Newcastle who could scupper those ambitions.

TwoSheds

They haven’t won a thing of note since before Sir Alex took over at United, how the heck is that recent? They have a media darling manager who is under achieving with the players he has, long may it continue so he can line up the Klopp job in a few years…
It's not recent, maybe read the post again.

GlasgowCeltic

Possible that Villa could do a West 'Am and get a Europa conference spot. Although Moyse has found his level at The Hammers and doing a great job, he has a penchant for buying defenders every bloody summer, obviously a long way to go in the transfer window but he really needs some extra creativity for next season.

Not convinced Chelsea will be all that next year and damn sure Arsenal will do Arsenal things, so prob a good time for Villa to try and break into the upper echelons of the Prem. Honourable mention to Newcastle who could scupper those ambitions.
They’ll be closer to relegation than Europe, Dychey in by Feb to keep them up

userman

Looks very promising for Villa so far this window. My guess is they’ll be fighting it out with Newcastle and/or West Ham for 7th.
Pressure is on Gerrard to deliver next season, better not slip..

Vapor trail

I think Villa will struggle don't seem to have a cohesive plan regarding spending glazer-esque stuff. If no new signings have kicked out that's a big red sign.

Brighton and Palace are a good example that success in the modern day comes from the tactical / systematic influences, those provide a foundation to build from not player surnames.

TwoSheds

Insulting another member
Ok then! But pretty sure Jose was a lot more recent than 1982.
feck me, yes the word recent is in both posts. Well done. If you had an extra wit you'd be a halfwit.

Remember the geese

Hope they stick with Gerrard. Any half decent manager will take them places.

Digne - Mings - Carlos - Cash Is a decent defence .

Martinez is a brilliant GK and they have a good midfield too.
Any defence with Mings in it is suspect. The guy is an accident waiting to happen. Martinez is far from brilliant, but he's ok.

AkaAkuma

This type of recruitment doesn’t usually work, but fun to watch.

unless you can have constant churn.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Beale will be a big loss.

Replaceable of course, but hinges on recruiting wisely.

Lee565

Splashing cash and showing little for it, basically another everton

ForeverRed1

We need to be in european mix for sure.

Not demanding top 6 as Ings and Watkins were pretty underwhelming and missed too many chances between them.

However it was disappointing to be so far off Wolves for most of last season. Even with them only winning once in last 10 games we still finished 6 points off them.

They were top 8 for most of the season so that should be realistic target next season.

Signing older players is a bit of a worry but we do have some good youth coming through aswell to balance things out.

Still 50/50 on Gerrard, not sold on his style of football so far.
do you think the players that have come, come to villa if Gerrard isn’t manager? He has definitely attracted players to you.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
do you think the players that have come, come to villa if Gerrard isn’t manager? He has definitely attracted players to you.
Coutinho would never have considered us for sure.

Worried after losing the assistant manager to QPR though as he basically did all the stuff on the training ground so we need to find number 2 with that skillset in next month.

captaincantona

What is impressive is the swiftness of their transfer dealings. They know who they want, spend the season lining things up and then when the window opens it’s done.

I can’t believe we have had 7 months since Ole was binned and we have only just appointed a new gaffer, sent the jokers on holiday and brought in zero reinforcements when RR - a sane German with common sense at the very least - advises a complete overhaul. Villa are run more like a football club than we are so I wouldn’t be critical of them in any way.

ForeverRed1

Coutinho would never have considered us for sure.

Worried after losing the assistant manager to QPR though as he basically did all the stuff on the training ground so we need to find number 2 with that skillset in next month.
Kamara wouldn’t of either, stevie went to his house and won him over, he has that pull to him that players want to play for him and learn from him.

regarding the new coach, is there any names being touted at the moment?

philnguyen1994

So we’ve hired Neil Critchley, Blackpool manager. Quite a coup
It is, can't seem to recall any other Championship manager leaving for a Premier League no. 2 job in recent history.

Critchley is ex Liverpool as well, isn't he? Gerrard probably promised to bring him back to Anfield with him when he inevitably takes over from Klopp in the future.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
It is, can't seem to recall any other Championship manager leaving for a Premier League no. 2 job in recent history.

Critchley is ex Liverpool as well, isn't he? Gerrard probably promised to bring him back to Anfield with him when he inevitably takes over from Klopp in the future.
Yeah I can’t really either. Very shrewd appointment.

yes he was with their academy with Gerrard. I think it actually might be that he is Gerrard’s eventual replacement should he move on.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This type of recruitment doesn’t usually work, but fun to watch.

unless you can have constant churn.
Yeah. That’s my thinking. I always thought this type of recruitment just makes the team worse. I expect a mid table finish, nowhere near the European places

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What's going on between Gerrard and Mings @FootballHQ, seen Paul Mcgrath has had his say on social media
Personality clash by the looks of it. Gerrard's "look my in the eyes" quote explaining him being dropped was completely ridiculous. Think Mings will be leaving us by August 31st given he'll still have ambitions of making England's WC squad.

Just the wrong call from Gerrard, McGinn should be more of a squad player these days. Even if he wanted to freshen up the club by naming a new captain Emi Martinez would've been more logical choice imo.

First bad call in what I suspect will be a few more months of them given how we then played at Bournemouth which was pathetic.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Big game this weekend. Whoever loses between Gerrard and Lampard is already in big trouble. :nervous: